Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Expanded CRPG Book is out!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm gonna hunt each and every one of you who got the book within a week.

Just got my physical version yesterday. I already own the first edition and boy, the new one is sigificantly heavier and bigger. Can't wait to delve into it. I love this project, it's just such a pleasure to read the articles. Although I know most games there still are some surprises in for me. And from the games I already know the reviews are a motivation to give them another play.

One thing I do miss however: Classic Mac-RPGs. There are some interesting games there too - Cythera, Jewels of Arabia, Taskmaker 1 and 2, Quarterstaff, Citadel, Xyphus, Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis,... not to mention the enhanced versions of the M&M games or Ultima III.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
20230829-145341.jpg

aaa.jpg

Konjad

Patron
None came without any damage, unfortunately :negative:

I hope the one I saved as a gift is in a better shape, but probably not.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One thing I do miss however: Classic Mac-RPGs. There are some interesting games there too - Cythera, Jewels of Arabia, Taskmaker 1 and 2, Quarterstaff, Citadel, Xyphus, Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis,... not to mention the enhanced versions of the M&M games or Ultima III.
The new edition ads Quarterstaff and Odyssey, I think they were the most interesting ones :)

BTW, the book displays a picture of an Amiga 500 but the caption introduces Amiga 1000 on page 75.
Good catch, I'll replace it on the PDF.

PapaPetro

Change the name to cRPG Bible
Less words.
Same meaning.
More pizzazz.

The new edition ads Quarterstaff and Odyssey, I think they were the most interesting ones :)
felipepepe Ah I didn't look careful enough it seems. Great to have Quarterstaff and Odyssey in the book. Cythera and Jewels of Arabia are pretty interesting titles too... maybe for the third edition. ;)

Grubba

Arcane
Logged into this place for this first time in a long time earlier this week, saw this thread, placed my order and got the book two days later, fantastic. This thing is beautiful, well done. I think someone else said it but ya you could kill someone with this, it's a hefty tome. Might hafta order another for a gift.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

But how?

I got mine on Wednesday and it was possibly the best-packed shipment in human history. The amount of padding on the corners, and cardboard is insane. Amazon should learn a thing or 2.

BTW, review of the book:

Print quality is excellent. Binding, cover not as amazing as the hype made it seem but still, pretty dang good. This thing will last.

At first I was disappointed with the lack of glossyness on the pages, but now I actually prefer it. Colours look accurate, rather than oversaturated.

Articles are well-written, but brief. Although that is to be expected for the number of games crammed into 1 volume. I love how the article for D:OS2 mentions Larian always wanted to create something better than Ultima VII. That's something we call "foreshadowing" :lol:

The book is heavy and solid, and comes with an attached bookmark. Suspiciously pre-folded into Ultima VII. Based.

Overall impression: 9/10. You can tell immediately you are holding a quality product.

Content: 8/10

Print: 9/10

Title: 1/10. CRPG Book? Seriously? How about The Big Book of CRPG's? The Compendium of CRPG's? The Definitive Guide, A Brief History of, etc...

How about "The CRPG Codex"? Familiar-sounding but without the threat of infringing on DU's copyroight and having the kangaroo-mounted police kick down your door.

All in all, congrats felipepepe. It's a masterpiece. :salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

But how?

I got mine on Wednesday and it was possibly the best-packed shipment in human history. The amount of padding on the corners, and cardboard is insane. Amazon should learn a thing or 2.

This! In fact mine was commically wrapped; two layers of thick cardboard wrapping and then huge foam edges on each of the corners of the book.

It's here :love: And it is indeed a mighty tome. I struggle with where to put it, it's that large (as they say).

4rJGnF9.jpg

Konjad

Patron

But how?

idk, it looks as if it was falling from a height a few times. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but DPD didn't seem to care about the package much, especially as all four books are damaged, not just external ones. And the packaging was great, if it wasn't so well packed I imagine the books arriving with completely destroyed bindings

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They tried to deliver it while I was at work, it didn't fit on my mailbox so they left a missed delivery note :argh:Tomorrow at last I will have it!
Title: 1/10. CRPG Book? Seriously? How about The Big Book of CRPG's? The Compendium of CRPG's? The Definitive Guide, A Brief History of, etc...
Dungeons & Desktops was taken :negative:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Imagine if Davinci's The Last Supper was just called "Dinner table painting" or Lolita was called "Pedo story book" lel

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My copy of this prestigious publication arrived two days ago, along with The Secret History of Mac Gaming. Less than a week from the UK to Australia, that's pretty impressive!

Zero damage, Bitmap Books are the masters of packaging, that's for sure. It was very well packaged, just like the last time I ordered The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games from them (very much recommended as well).

The colours are fine in the book, just as I thought. So they only screwed up when converting the CMYK master back to RGB.

Congratulations felipepepe & all contributors, this is a monumental achievement. I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on a copy, I will peruse it with great interest for many hours to come.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Imagine if Davinci's The Last Supper was just called "Dinner table painting" or Lolita was called "Pedo story book" lel
In my defense, it's really great for recall and online search. "The CRPG Book: A Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games" covers the main keywords tied to it, without conflicting with the ocean of Tabletop RPG books out there.

Its cousin, the "JRPG Book", is actually called A Guide to Japanese Role-Playing Games / 日本のロールプレイングゲームへのガイド and it's hard to find on sites like Goodreads or even reddit, because people call it "the JRPG Book".

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Classic Mac gaming is something completely foreign to me, I never had even seen a Mac back in the 80s! I tried out the Mac versions of a few classic RPGs and adventures last year and I'm quite fascinated by these monochrome early Mac games. Therefore, I also bought The Secret History of Mac Gaming, you might like it as well. It seems to be an extremely well-written and comprehensive book so far, just like the CRPG Book. It's a work of art.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In my defense, it's really great for recall and online search. "The CRPG Book: A Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games" covers the main keywords tied to it, without conflicting with the ocean of Tabletop RPG books out there.
The title is good, it never seemed bothersome or inadequate to me.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Well yeah if you want to type all of that each time.

I did and found it on Amazon. For $271

1693566705086.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom