Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Prove to me
Dude, there is nothing anyone on this entire planet could do to prove to you that water is wet.

Precisely. The conclusion you should be deriving from this is not that i'm crazy for asking, but that your rationalistic point of view is false. If words alone cannot prove anything, maybe a philosophy which claims that all reality and truth ends with what can be shown with words alone was utterly false. Maybe the human mind can go beyond words alone and understand things that cannot be proven in words but are nonthless true and objective. That invisible realities are real and that the fact you cannot demonstrate them in visibile terms doesn't mean they aren't.

If you cannot prove that Beethoven was a greater genius than Britney Spears in words alone, maybe that just means that words alone was never the ultimate test to decide if something is true or not. Maybe what you smugly called "subjective" opinions were never subjective at all.

Ash

Arcane
Tons of platformers made by western devs, on both PC and console. While I agree with LS that most of the provided examples are shit (naughty dog really bro?), there is literally TONS of western platformers. The ignorance is really quite extreme!

Here's my favorites, just for fun and educational purposes: Earthworm Jim, Captain Claw, Tomb Raider, Donkey Kong Country, James Pond 2 Robocod, American MgGee's Alice, Spyro the Dragon, Prince of Persia, Dying Light, Half-Life (yes, Half-Life), Jazz Jackrabbit 2*. These are probably my favorites from western devs, but the list of all the ones out there is endless. None of them beat the Japanese king Mario Bros. 3 though. Maybe.

Most of this was from my childhood, but much of this still is rather engaging to play today.

*id, Apogee and EPIC all made platformers before Doom/Duke Nukem 3D/Unreal, funnily enough, and most were shit

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Tons of platformers made by western devs, on both PC and console. While I agree with LS that most of the provided examples are shit (naughty dog really bro?), there is literally TONS of western platformers. The ignorance is really quite extreme!

Here's my favorites, just for fun and educational purposes: Earthworm Jim, Captain Claw, Dying Light, Tomb Raider, Donkey Kong Country, American MgGee's Alice, Spyro the Dragon, Prince of Persia, Spelunky, Half-Life (yes, Half-Life), Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (id, Apogee and EPIC all made platformers before Doom/Duke Nukem 3D/Unreal, funnily enough, and most were shit). These are probably my favorites from western devs, but the list of all the ones out there is endless. None of them beat the Japanese king Mario Bros. 3 though. Maybe.

Most of this was from my childhood, but much of this still is rather engaging to play today.

I was being hyperbolic. The point i was making is that western developers don't share the same interests as Japanese developers in the main (exceptions are always there) and can't be expected to function the same way under the standards the Japanese have been operating for decades.

Here's a thought experiment: take all the PC genres that sprouted during the golden age of western gaming, and now consider if the PC has a platform never existed, and there was only consoles, fron the NES to the Playstation. How do you think that would have panned out for the western industry?

That's what i'm saying happened when multiplatform development appeared in the west.

[EDIT] Actually, i just thought of a better example. You mentioned how even id soft etc used to make platformers. My guess is that if the PC platform and gaming culture didn't exist, they would have kept making them and never moved on to anything else. Doom would have never come into being.

Ash

Arcane
Lyric Suite: Hey man I'm all for lamenting the death of PC gaming spirit, but again I'm for the loss of console gaming too. Tons of dead genres there also, spiritually and literally.

You don't get to say what drives the Japanese, their creative ambitions, and their accomplishments. Not without actually playing their games. I respect you, that's why I haven't called you names yet like I do the other cretins, but this is yet more intellectually dishonest behavior for the thread and I expect better from you. Especially when you have had a glimpse into Japanese talent with Souls and Sekiro...but that is merely touching the surface.

Start with Silent Hill (1998), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997), Ninja Gaiden (2004 - to scratch that souls-derived itch you have). These will be the most palatable for a closed-minded, but hardcore, PC-only gamer such as yourself. Then, once your horizons have been broadened, you start to see that yeah, these Japanese guys are extremely talented and can be forward-thinking, artistic and what have you, you can move on to seeing the absolute genius in 90s Final Fantasy and many more. That you're not ready for!

But honestly, jokes aside i really don't get that cinematic.

Of course not, it's completely out of context and you have zero exposure to the game! Proof that the art cannot stand alone! Haha. But in seriousness, it's also not as it is presented in game, but multiple chopped up FMVs, just for the duration of the song. It's an edit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i forgot to mention one thing. FromSoft exists because of PC games like Ultima Underworld and Wizadry. I suppose that makes them race traitors. The gall of relying on westoid autism as an inspiration, amrite?

Ash

Arcane
The Japanese were at their best when they drew heavy influence from western media, particularly the late 90s with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid, Vagrant Story, and to a lesser extent Final Fantasy. And yeah, all RPGs are derived from the west (Dungeons & Dragons).

Overall I'd say there are more western intellectual and/or artistic games in total, though a non-negligible amount of them are pseudo-intellectual, or not so great execution, and without much value. But dismissing the accomplishments of the Japanese is...well you're missing a significant chunk of what gaming has achieved. You're no true gamer and don't really get to speak. The Japanese have produced many of the absolute best games around. Whether that be just because they consist of top quality game design (often), or because they produced something truly transcendental (not as often, but there's some great shit you need to play to speak on such matters).

At the end of the day if I were forced to take 100 western games with me to a desert island, choice from ALL the west, or just 100 Japanese, I'm not sure if I could choose between the two.
Also on that note, pitting multiple nations "the west" against just the one is unfair, but that's how much of a quality creative powerhouse Japan is! Speaks for itself. It'd be a lot easier if it were just UK vs Japan. Goodbye Tomb Raider, XCOM and many of my other beloved classics, but an easy decision. The hardest competition would be the states of course. Which is also a massive place with significantly larger game industry share I might add.

There are 198 game companies located in Japan and a total of 4,979 developed and 7,296 published games have been made here.

There are 1124 game companies located in United States of America and a total of 6,753 developed and 11,265 published games have been made here.

These stats definitely aren't accurate, but work well enough as an approximation.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm not closed minded, i'm just argumentative. There's a difference.

I also wasn't denigrating Japanese games as such. I was merely expressing an opinion about their intrinstic difference from western games. Western games favor innovation above all. Japanese games seem to focus more on the execution, at least from what i can see. They have fewer genres or forms to work with but within those few they have developed a kind of tradition in which experience is layed on top of experience. Westerners by contrast seem to enjoy reinventing the wheel every time, which leads to both happy outcomes as well as miserable ones.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The conclusion you should be deriving from this is not that i'm crazy for asking, but that your rationalistic point of view is false.
The point was not that you're crazy for asking. It's that you're crazy for believing you know better than everyone else on the entire planet, about everything, always. That's what a crazy person does. I mean, FFS, you believe that nothing can be proven to anyone, ever, as a last resort defense of why nobody will recognize how smart you are. If you were right, the very word itself would have no meaning, no use at all. It wouldn't exist. Judges would just nod sagely as soon as a crime was declared without need of a trial. So either everyone on the planet who is totally fine with the concept of proof is wrong, or it's you. Go buy some lottery tickets, chosen one.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The conclusion you should be deriving from this is not that i'm crazy for asking, but that your rationalistic point of view is false.
The point was not that you're crazy for asking. It's that you're crazy for believing you know better than everyone else on the entire planet, about everything, always. That's what a crazy person does. I mean, FFS, you believe that nothing can be proven to anyone, ever, as a last resort defense of why nobody will recognize how smart you are. If you were right, the very word itself would have no meaning, no use at all. It wouldn't exist. Judges would just nod sagely as soon as a crime was declared without need of a trial. So either everyone on the planet who is totally fine with the concept of proof is wrong, or it's you. Go buy some lottery tickets, chosen one.

Your real issue is that you don't like anybody speaking from a position of certainty because you are still denying that objective truth can be arrived at all and that not all opinions are subjective. If objectivity is possible, you HAVE to speak in absolute terms by definition if you are intending to speak truth at all. This doesn't mean you should accept everything i say as gospel, but don't pretend you aren't just pissed because i'm not coddling your subjectivist delusion, please. In fact, this post is still just an attempt to hold on to this retardation that nothing is true or objective unless it can be proven with "words alone". You still can't let go.

Ash

Arcane
[EDIT] Actually, i just thought of a better example. You mentioned how even id soft etc used to make platformers. My guess is that if the PC platform and gaming culture didn't exist, they would have kept making them and never moved on to anything else. Doom would have never come into being.

PC gaming is extremely important to the evolution of gaming no doubt about that, as is console and the Japanese. But it was also sadly what led to the downfall first and foremost. Microsoft and the Xbox sellout devs. Invasion of the console market unleashing a hellstorm of absolutely retarded and soulless games with massive marketing budgets. The creators of achievements, heavy-handed DRM, microtransactions, pre-ordering, development farms that churn out the same shit game year on year with minimal changes, and all manner of utmost decline. The Japanese didn't do any that (they have their gachas to keep them covered I suppose). The west did. Back in the day at least, they prided themselves on honor. Now I look at a company like Square Enix and just feel disgust and contempt.

The worst I can say for the Japanese in regards to selling out in the golden age is Pokemon's business model of making two versions of the same game with minimal changes to get people to essentially buy the same game twice, but that is largely optional and you could play just one of the versions and walk away with a complete experience. One that also was quite a bit far ahead of most gameboy games at the time in terms of value for money, content etc. I could be misremembering other shameless decline tactics though. No doubt plenty more, but most of the decline of the golden age I see stemmed from the west. PC developers at the very heart of it. So much for "Innovation above all" being a western mindset. In the 90s, maybe. For some companies. But that is not really much a different case from Japanese at all.

Last edited:

JB_0x0003

Literate
B8uzQmp.gif
The story behind the creation of this game is awesome btw; he said he wanted to make grand theft auto without niggers or violence

Ash

Arcane
But hey, I will perhaps agree with you on that point (innovation and mindset) overall despite your ignorance of what the Japanese have achieved. Overall, the majority of modern society was made by the west, back then the white man drove everything forward. Not sure what's changed aside from greed and lack of morals, but hey. Japan on the other hand has strong cultural respect for tradition, though still innovated a lot especially in regards to tech, or did at the turn of the century alongside their economic boom. That's looking at it too generally, but even in video games alone, the Japanese innovated to an absurd degree. Especially for just one nation. Particularly in the 90s. You really have to play the games and witness it to understand, yet at the same time, in the 80s, their RPGs for example did not amount to much, while the west were pushing the envelope there. Although it makes sense as that is where RPGs originated and JP would have a delayed period to catch on to the concept. That changed a lot in the 90s though. JRPGs branched out broadly.

So yeah...it's complicated. But "the west" = many multiple nations while Japan = just one, so it's not really a good data set to draw any meaningful conclusions or comparisons from.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
canned perennialist gobbledygook
At this point you might as well replace yourself with an ai model trained on /lit/ guenonfags and there would be no difference

For one I made no claim "that every perception is subjective", that's your perception of my post :-D
My claim was that people, even the wisest and most inteligent, disagree on each other's understanding of "objective realities"
The implication of my question being, given that they can't all be equally correct, how can one discern which is the most accurate
Try again.

It's ironic that you should mention Coomaraswamy in your post given that he disagreed heavily with Guénon :)

So it's all, like, subjective man?

In which case, why even bother partake in this discussion.
Because from my subjective perspective, it's fun

:troll:
Everything you say has as much value as everything i said, meaning, no value at all.
Well that's just your subjective perspective :smug:

Yeah but you seem to be unaware of the fact
you-exterminate.gif

Modern art begun because the Renaissance replaced sacred art with formalistic art
The Renaissance did introduce a more naturalistic and literalistic style of art, but the notion that Modern art was a direct reaction against these characteristics is not accurate
The Modernistic movement began centuries after the Renaissance
Furthermore Modernism had wide range of artistic movements, some rejected the characteristics of Renaissance art, others embraced it

A realistic painting of Christ would be nothing more than a mere man, no matter the talent of the painter.
Curious
The Church seems to think the way around for centuries
Oh, but I guess they're wrong and that is just further proof that what you say is right

The main difference however is that ancient art avoided putting too much emphasis on form
Also not accurate
It greatly depends on the culture, time period, artistic style and even said culture's concept of "form"
Or are you going to tell me that the highly realistic sculptures of the ancient Greeks or the intricate detail found in Roman mosaics, don't demonstrate a focus on form?

The moderns having declared there is nothing higher than our reality
Says you and given your track record I won't put too much trust in it
Modernism is if anything a period of a wide range of artistic and philosophical movements
And a common ideals was that of "Ascension" - though obviously the perspective on that was and entailed varied

Ironically, one such movement is Perennialism

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Your real issue is that you don't like anybody speaking from a position of certainty
I think his issue is that you believe you speak from a position of certainty
When on these subjects all you demonstrably do is parrot the "perceptions" of a french dopehead and a swiss cult leader (who was possibly a pedophile as well)

Fitting, considering an omnipresent characteristic of cult leaders is also a grandiose delusion of one's self and intellect, plus a good aptitude for rhetorical juggling and eloquence to persuade others of their bullshit
So Damned Registrations is being sensible by rejecting your perennial authoritarian attitude

Last edited:

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm a bit behind on the art discussion with my reply, and I'm not here to argue whether games/RPGs are art, but if they were socially recognized that way, some things would improve.

First, there would be less forgeries of games, and forgery itself would stop being as acceptable. Games today are still stripped into IPs and owned by people who have nothing to do with their quality or history, handed over to random studios to produce new versions of like a factory product. Imagine if the Mona Lisa was treated this way, and some company owned the rights to the name and hired others to produce new paintings, or even worse, made her into different ethnicities, or even a man, and claimed "This is the current year, chud".

That would be preposterous, right? But that's exactly how games are treated. In this environment, nobody really cares about the process or the vision, that's just lies marketing to give to the hardcore by some volunteer on a team while using the name as a "proven" label for safety, produced by and for people who feel secure simply in sequels and repetition rather than the actual content of the product itself, which is available to the lowest bidder and often made compliant for maximum loan money. Take Bloodlines 2 for example.

Second, there would be stronger consideration for the design and direction, like how Akitoshi Kawazu holds the spiritual key to making SaGa games, and Yoshitaka Murayama was helped by Kickstarter to realize Eiyuden Chronicle, the spiritual successor to Suikoden. It wouldn't guarantee that something turns out good, but the art label would make people pause and give greater consideration to the creation of these games, and take that seriously and discuss it, much like movies with their directors, screenwriters, cinematographers, etc..

Consumers wouldn't blindly follow labels around as if they're magic letters that cast a spell for recreating a childhood experience, like how some wait for a true "Castlevania", maybe even by "Konami" for example, without realizing that Inti Creates and Iga have already carried the design of that series into the current era, and Konami couldn't do anything better than license Wayforward to produce it for them or whatever.

There are other benefits, but as it stands currently, games being treated as disposable products benefits the corposlop mentality, and lets shitty businesses and suits get away with selling us trash with impunity. Personally, I don't feel separating games from our understanding of "art" protects the concept as some abstract, intellectual ideal only monolithic forms may aspire to, like books or pictures, because art itself is both a process and a product. But I also think the way people argue games are "art" is incorrect, because they think the term should move them away from being fun, and the result should aspire to being more like an interactive movie or intellectual exercise.

Games require a more comprehensive approach to evaluating them as art, but I think games can be art precisely because they are fun, and that's part of their appeal as a medium. Even when they're telling stories or making you jump on dinosaurs for coins. :obviously:

Badabum

Barely Literate
Both East and West have their own MVP games, and both have slop games.
But both have different things that they are good at, different kind of aesthetic they are focused on, etc.
But the West is clearly a falling civilization, this is reflected in their product, so the whole Western bloc have to compete with Japan alone to even out the table.
If Best Korea continues to learn and develop better games (they are right now), the Western game industry is practically finished.
Crimson Desert is being developed by Pearl Abyss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DQarmAhjk0 . And there's that Nier Automata clone, can't remember the name. Project Eve?

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I'm a bit behind on the art discussion with my reply, and I'm not here to argue whether games/RPGs are art, but if they were socially recognized that way, some things would improve.

First, there would be less forgeries of games, and forgery itself would stop being as acceptable. Games today are still stripped into IPs and owned by people who have nothing to do with their quality or history, handed over to random studios to produce new versions of like a factory product. Imagine if the Mona Lisa was treated this way, and some company owned the rights to the name and hired others to produce new paintings, or even worse, made her into different ethnicities, or even a man, and claimed "This is the current year, chud".

That would be preposterous, right? But that's exactly how games are treated. In this environment, nobody really cares about the process or the vision, that's just lies marketing to give to the hardcore by some volunteer on a team while using the name as a "proven" label for safety, produced by and for people who feel secure simply in sequels and repetition rather than the actual content of the product itself, which is available to the lowest bidder and often made compliant for maximum loan money. Take Bloodlines 2 for example.

Second, there would be stronger consideration for the design and direction, like how Akitoshi Kawazu holds the spiritual key to making SaGa games, and Yoshitaka Murayama was helped by Kickstarter to realize Eiyuden Chronicle, the spiritual successor to Suikoden. It wouldn't guarantee that something turns out good, but the art label would make people pause and give greater consideration to the creation of these games, and take that seriously and discuss it, much like movies with their directors, screenwriters, cinematographers, etc..

Consumers wouldn't blindly follow labels around as if they're magic letters that cast a spell for recreating a childhood experience, like how some wait for a true "Castlevania", maybe even by "Konami" for example, without realizing that Inti Creates and Iga have already carried the design of that series into the current era, and Konami couldn't do anything better than license Wayforward to produce it for them or whatever.

There are other benefits, but as it stands currently, games being treated as disposable products benefits the corposlop mentality, and lets shitty businesses and suits get away with selling us trash with impunity. Personally, I don't feel separating games from our understanding of "art" protects the concept as some abstract, intellectual ideal only monolithic forms may aspire to, like books or pictures, because art itself is both a process and a product. But I also think the way people argue games are "art" is incorrect, because they think the term should move them away from being fun, and the result should aspire to being more like an interactive movie or intellectual exercise.

Games require a more comprehensive approach to evaluating them as art, but I think games can be art precisely because they are fun, and that's part of their appeal as a medium. Even when they're telling stories or making you jump on dinosaurs for coins. :obviously:
It doesn't make sense to be able to buy and sell IP, and that's the root of the problem. IP should just be a correct attribution mandate (i.e. bad-intentioned actors can't pass off other's work as their own without breaking the law), lifetime royalty rights, some kind of $ capped or time limited copyright (i.e. exclusive distribution rights) and belong solely to the *people* (not corporations) responsible for the work directly through their labor for their lifetimes.

But can we have that under capitalism? No. We can't. I'll let the reader ponder as to why.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
you are the one acting like a child and are dishonest about what your MOD is
I guess you don't know what game preservation means, go do your homework, kid.

Ah that's the problem. Too stupid to understand that "preservation" can mean anything other than the tradition of archival and technical maintenance to run on modern hardware. No, the mod is not that. Of course it's not that. Jesus fucking christ. What I meant by that is fixing things like AI, adding quality of life, bugfixes, removal of jank, making the game overall more complete and polished to keep it palatable as modern convenience and polish reduces people's tolerance for all that, especially most kids your age and the newcomers to come.

Come to my thread if you want learn a few things, kid. Stop spoiling this thread with your retardation.
anyone who says 'quality of life' is a faggot

Ash

Arcane
Handhelds had their golden age in the 2000s because you could still have small teams making games for the GBA, the DS, and to a lesser extent the PsP.

As much fun as I had with the gameboys in the 90s as a kid, I probably agree. Maybe. Do you have a top 5 handheld games? We never talk about those, so should be interesting.
Rules: no ports of SNES, PS1, even PC (Doom!) etc games. Quite a lot of ports on GBA.

1. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (1993 - Action-Adventure)
2. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2006 - Metroidvania)
3. James Bond 007 (1998 - Action-Adventure)
4. Pokemon: Gold/Silver/Crystal (1999 - RPG)
5. Golden Sun 2 (2002 - RPG)
6. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (2001 - Metroidvania)
7. Mario Land 2: 6 Gold Coins (1992 - Platformer)
8. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (2001 - Sports & different to the console versions)
9. Warioland (1994 - Platformer)
10. Advance Wars (2001 - Turn-Based Strategy)

I didn't explore the PSP too much, drifted away from handheld around that time, as while good they are in most cases inferior to what you get on PC & console. Of what PSP I did play, they were largely just gimped PS2 games. Technologically impressive, but lacking soul. It was the mid 2000s after all. As for the NDS, again only a little exploration. Seemed like the start of the decline for handheld though.

Wow, haven't thought about handheld gaming much in such a long time. A challenge to remember all the games I played and form a list.

Lyric Suite mentioned having played some handheld, so even he can join the fun!

Edit: fuck it, lets make it top ten!

Last edited:

GamerCat_

Educated
And what is cinema? One day you really ought to make a statement that rests on something.

Even if we stick to Japan itself, Kurosawa > every anime ever made. No exceptions.
Kurosawa was a man, not a film. I think you obviously would have named a specific one if you actually appreciated his work rather than seeing him as a totem in your irrational war against youth culture (you will will share a grave with Mike Stoklasa).

Sieg HEIL

I'm just asking you to put your money where your mouth is.
I'm asking you to say something coherent for once. What does this actually mean? You're asking for something so vague, stupid, and sweeping that a definitive answer is impossible. Do you think I'm the only one who takes these posts that way? You're impossible to talk to, not because we hold irreconcilable views on culture. But because you are so bad at thinking and communicating that you can't follow or present clear lines of thinking. Your thoughts are incoherent but you aren't smart enough to realise. As I have already said, I believe that you are too dumb for us to get anywhere, but here I am trying again anyway. Can you understand me? Are we progressing? Do you not want to understand me?

What a waste.

You made the claim Americans are incapable of making art.
I have made several comments about America and art. You have replied to most of them. A claim more complex than this exists in the post you are quoting. People following this exchange can see that. You can't be so dumb as to believe you're fooling people, so you probably genuinely can't see why this doesn't work. It's like talking to a fucking down syndrome case.

I would think the easiest eay to prove this is by making a direct comparison between the two countries.
If I actually said Americans are incapable of making art, and you showed us an American artist, yes, I'd be disproven. Unless of course I just started making up rules of art reflexively as you named artists to exclude them every time. But imagine being that petty and obnoxious...

And right off the bat of course you start to make exscuses.
Excuses for what? Do you actually believe that I believe America cannot produce artists? You are quoting a post in which I said that I like many American artists. Do you not read entire posts before writing replies? Or are you so dumb you can't hold a grip on the basics of someone else's beliefs in your head while talking to them? Are you aware of how dumb you look yet?

"Well, America just has more art studios". "Yeah well ok America has some artists but they are hated". "Japan is an insular country we don't even know what's in there".

If you weren't prepared to have your claim put to task you should have just shut your fucking mouth in the first place.
You don't even know what I'm claiming. You don't even know what I'm saying in the post right above. Is English not your first language? Have I asked that yet? Are you grinding Duolingo exercises between posts? Is that how we got here?

GamerCat_

Educated
Everything you list from here is already true in japan. To the point you're even using Japanese games as examples. At some point you do have to say "we should be like Japan".

It doesn't make sense to be able to buy and sell IP, and that's the root of the problem. IP should just be a correct attribution mandate (i.e. bad-intentioned actors can't pass off other's work as their own without breaking the law), lifetime royalty rights, some kind of $ capped or time limited copyright (i.e. exclusive distribution rights) and belong solely to the *people* (not corporations) responsible for the work directly through their labor for their lifetimes.

But can we have that under capitalism? No. We can't. I'll let the reader ponder as to why.
Even before your invocation of the magical C word this is magical thinking. How the hell do you conclude that it's ultimately IP? If there's no respect for artists there's no respect for artists. Always a human problem. No government by steam, etc.

Ash

Arcane
Everything you list from here is already true in japan. To the point you're even using Japanese games as examples. At some point you do have to say "we should be like Japan".

Non-gamers will never respect video games. It is what it is. Don't pay them any mind or try to convince them. In fact, I recommend keeping the hobby on the downlow. I keep it quite restrained, especially with women. As usual, people judge what they do not understand. It is what it is.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Imagine "respecting" video games though lol. Like, lmao even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom