Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I sometimes still read fantasy or sci-fi books for fun. I still wouldn't call it real literature.
At this point you might as well say "Art is thing I like and is 2deep4u" and that would be more consistent than what you've been posting here and probably more honest with your "perception" of Art as well...

:M

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Would you say the tactical combat of Jagged Alliance 2 is comparable to Tolkien, or Beethoven? Doesn't it feel wierd to put those things in the same category? Building a clock also requires craft but i don't know if you can compare the mechanism of a good clock to a symphony, or a painting.
A false equivalence
For games you are compraing a single element to the whole work that is a book or a symphony
The actual comparasion would be between a gear of a clock and a word of a book and a note of a symphony
All three in isolation have a specific singular meaning, it's when combined with other singular elements that they build towards a higher purpose, eventually resulting in a work of art

Though arguably a gear demands a greater degree of craftsmanship to produce
Meaning games require a greater level of artistry to achieve the same greatness as Tolkien or Beethoven

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
A false equivalence
For games you are compraing a single element to the whole work that is a book or a symphony

It's not a single element it's the MAIN element. You can literally have games with zero art and sounds. This is NOT the same as movies with no sound, like those of the silent era.

GamerCat_

Educated
I don't know why people care so much whether a thing is art or not.
It's now a game of seeing how many straightforward questions lyric can ignore while maintaining his rational straight man tone. I can see this going on forever.

Really? So if you gut a clock and observe it's inner workings you gonna get the same reaction you get from art?
What is the art reaction?

janior

Arcane
Patron

Maybe you need to be exposed to better art if you gotta ask that question.

I wanna know the person who gets the same kind of experience as this from looking at the insides of a machine:

Adeptus_mechanicus_by_cribs-d4b4afs.jpg

GamerCat_

Educated

I wanna know the person who gets the same kind of experience as this from looking at the insides of a machine:

You could make this actually about your feelings. But it seems rather obvious that you don't actually have the feelings towards art that you believe you should. So you're trying to buttress yourself with theory. But you're stupid, so you can't do a solid job of that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You could make this actually about your feelings. But it seems rather obvious that you don't actually have the feelings towards art that you believe you should. So you're trying to buttress yourself with theory. But you're stupid, so you can't do a solid job of that.

Can somebody help me understand what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Lyric Sweets doesn't get art-like reactions from non-art so clearly he is a liar who doesn't believe in art because otherwise he would have a transcendent reaction to mechanisms which still aren't art but they are art because otherwise it's an attack against anime being the only thing I value in life.

JB_0x0003

Literate
A false equivalence

It's not a single element it's the MAIN element. You can literally have games with zero art and sounds. This is NOT the same as movies with no sound, like those of the silent era.
Lyric Suite, I hate to do this, but since you have repeatedly IGNORED me, I will have remind you that pursuant to title 7.3.C of the official national speech and debate association scoring manual, any points which you do not address are automatically scored as a concession to the other party (me). I'm afraid the tally is quite against you now, but in my solicitude I am once again extending the ability to respond.
I would recommend that you, for your own sake of course, respond, or you have OFFICIALLY LOST to me in the court of public opinion. (You will also be a yellow-bellied coward but this isn't mentioned in any highschool debate manual I've read, so it isn't relevant to the current discussion) Those are simply the rules, whether you like them or not.

So.

WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF RPGS IF ONLY THE GAMEPLAY IS THE "GAME" PART? Most RPGs use the gameplay to give a sense of time and progression, or to create a sense of external pressure to root you to the world. What RPGs do you like and how are they somehow defined entirely by gameplay? I'm going to be frank, this is a fucking baffling thing to say on RPGcodex.net , we aren't talking about shmup or platformer mechanical autism, which become their own James Joyce esque world defined in relation to themselves.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
A false equivalence

Lyric Suite, I hate to do this, but since you have repeatedly IGNORED me, I will have remind you that pursuant to title 7.3.C of the official national speech and debate association scoring manual, any points which you do not address are automatically scored as a concession to the other party (me). I'm afraid the tally is quite against you now, but in my solicitude I am once again extending the ability to respond.
I would recommend that you, for your own sake of course, respond, or you have OFFICIALLY LOST to me in the court of public opinion. (You will also be a yellow-bellied coward but this isn't mentioned in any highschool debate manual I've read, so it isn't relevant to the current discussion) Those are simply the rules, whether you like them or not.

So.

WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF RPGS IF ONLY THE GAMEPLAY IS THE "GAME" PART? Most RPGs use the gameplay to give a sense of time and progression, or to create a sense of external pressure to root you to the world. What RPGs do you like and how are they somehow defined entirely by gameplay? I'm going to be frank, this is a fucking baffling thing to say on RPGcodex.net , we aren't talking about shmup or platformer mechanical autism, which become their own James Joyce esque world defined in relation to themselves.

Oh yeah that. Maybe i'll try it, but i don't usually read that much fiction anymore. I also need a PDF or epub file to put on my e-reader as i can't read on anything with a backlight as it makes my eyes burn. Wish z-library was still up.

Hell Swarm

Educated
y7aHi57.png

Not defending Japanese games but there is any Japanese game where woman looks like this?
Capcom is competing for ugly women and even trannies.

Forum keeps giving me errors trying to attach images but Marisa is a full fucking roided up bulldyke and Aki looks like a 70's Chinese stereotype that goes CHING CHONG FLIED LICE while pulling her eyes at the corners. SF6 can out do almost an entire year of Western dev's poz on it's own.
kimberly.jpg

There's a few near balding niggers in SF6.
Street-Fighter-6-Eternity-Battle-Hub.jpg.webp

This is a tranny man dressed as a woman who "doesn't reveal his gender, has a masculine body but acts feminine"
DMC5_Nico_(6).jpg

Ugly Jew covered in tattoos in DMC5. Her characters fine but she looks like a train wreck
marisa_ss02.jpg
Marisa. Female grappler who is consistently top tier in SF6. Pushed to the moon and even has side burns in alt costumes.

aki_ss05.jpg
Aki. Cling chong flied lice.

RE3 remake Carlos was uglified to shit. Went from an attractive guy to a shaved ewok
cssbvtn693za1.jpg

Last edited:
Handhelds had their golden age in the 2000s because you could still have small teams making games for the GBA, the DS, and to a lesser extent the PsP.

As much fun as I had with the gameboys in the 90s as a kid, I probably agree. Maybe. Do you have a top 5 handheld games? We never talk about those, so should be interesting.
Rules: no ports of SNES, PS1, even PC (Doom!) etc games. Quite a lot of ports on GBA.

1. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (1993 - Action-Adventure)
2. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2006 - Metroidvania)
3. James Bond 007 (1998 - Action-Adventure)
4. Pokemon: Gold/Silver/Crystal (1999 - RPG)
5. Golden Sun 2 (2002 - RPG)
6. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (2001 - Metroidvania)
7. Mario Land 2: 6 Gold Coins (1992 - Platformer)
8. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (2001 - Sports & different to the console versions)
9. Warioland (1994 - Platformer)
10. Advance Wars (2001 - Turn-Based Strategy)

I didn't explore the PSP too much, drifted away from handheld around that time, as while good they are in most cases inferior to what you get on PC & console. Of what PSP I did play, they were largely just gimped PS2 games. Technologically impressive, but lacking soul. It was the mid 2000s after all. As for the NDS, again only a little exploration. Seemed like the start of the decline for handheld though.

Wow, haven't thought about handheld gaming much in such a long time. A challenge to remember all the games I played and form a list.

Lyric Suite mentioned having played some handheld, so even he can join the fun!

Edit: fuck it, lets make it top ten!

For what it's worth, the PSP is what got me back into gaming, around 2017-18, after more than a decade of just not caring about games (I still played Fallout/JA occasionally). That and getting a used PS3 with Fallout New Vegas.

There's a lot of cool racing games for it--just pure, fun, arcade style racing and car combat stuff. Split Second, Pursuit Force, Test Drive Unlimited, the NFS games, Motorstorm and others I've forgot. Many aren't exclusive, yes, but I probably wouldn't have played them otherwise. What I appreciate about handhelds is the sensation of pure comfort. Just getting home from work, getting comfy and firing a cool, instant satisfaction game like that would never fail to improve my mood. For that reason I prefer the PSP to any Nintendo handheld, it had exactly the kind of games I wanted to play on a handheld.

I never understood the notion of taking a console outside your house. I'd rather watch the birds and the trees, you know.

Apart from racing games, the Patapon games were a pretty good distraction and I'm not even into rhythm games. For action, I remember Syphon Filter Dark Mirror being pretty good. I've also played GTA Chinatown Wars more recently, the last time I was at my parents, and it's also pretty good. It's set in the in the GTA IV map, which at first I found too confusing for a handheld game, but I adapted and had a lot of fun. Better than GTA IV, as far as I'm concerned. Less serious, more classic GTA style of doing cool stuff for its own sake, and occasionally quite challenging.

I'm quite fond of the PSP for all these reasons.

911 Jumper

Educated
I wasn't even aware that DMC5's Nico is a Jewess. I thought she was Italian (because of her first name). Had no idea that her surname is Goldstein.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I wasn't even aware that DMC5's Nico is a Jewess. I thought she was Italian (because of her first name). Had no idea that her surname is Goldstein.
Dante's original (novel) gunsmith was a Jew and DMC5 is nothing if not fanwank on every level. Fun game but "Hello fellow DMC fans" got real fucking old in that one.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"Hello fellow DMC fans" got real fucking old in that one.
Part of the purpose of the game's story was to wrap up and tiddy up almost 20 years worth of cannon, which was a disjointed mess before 5

Also the series was considered dead and buried before the E3 surprise trailer and it ended on a sour note - DMC4 was a disapointment and the less said about DmC the better
Itsuno's ultimate intention was to make a game for the fans and that ended the series on a high note

And despite all that, the fanservice still isn't that frequent
If you think otherwise, play MGS4

Hell Swarm

Educated
"Hello fellow DMC fans" got real fucking old in that one.
Part of the purpose of the game's story was to wrap up and tiddy up almost 20 years worth of cannon, which was a disjointed mess before 5

Also the series was considered dead and buried before the E3 surprise trailer and it ended on a sour note - DMC4 was a disapointment and the less said about DmC the better
Itsuno's ultimate intention was to make a game for the fans and that ended the series on a high note

And despite all that, the fanservice still isn't that frequent
If you think otherwise, play MGS4
Rearranging the timeline and making a side character into a nigger isn't tidying up the timeline.

4 is generally considered a good game with an awkward campaign so it wasn't really a disappointment and DMC5 was part of keeping Itsuno at capcom at all.

The fanservice is near non-stop. There's almost nothing original in 5. Even the town is a reference to novel lore ffs. Multiple returning enemies and characters popping out of the wood work is just lame. I don't care what Kojima does in his movies, it got obnoxious seeing enemies from distinct locations popping up out of no where.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom