Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics The Lamplighters League - turn-based tactics in pulp 1930s setting from Harebrained Schemes

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
30 million to produce a game that looks like dog vomit.
It does have a lot more detail than the much lower budget Shadowrun Returns https://fionabrunerart.artstation.com/projects/GXv9OV

Which likely contributes to the problem, cartoony works better when it's low-poly.

I was just thinking that looking at some of the screenshots. Why didn't they just go with a more quasi-realistic style if they had that much polygon budget for smoothness in the models and that much detail in the textures? I think it would have suited the game far better than the overly-detailed cartoonish style they went for, which just looks weird to me. It would have also made the tone darker, which could have suited the theme better (i.e. looking more like classic pulp covers, for example, where the charcters are painted as realistic, but you have strong colours - i.e. noir but in colour).

Alternatively, when I first got wind of the game, my first thought was, "Oh, I hope they make it like Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." That had a tightly stylized look in the comics that could have been translated into something equally tightly-stylized, cartoonish low poly, which could also have worked.

Leaning more into either cartoony or quasi-realistic would have worked well, either way, but what they ended up with falls betweent the two stools too much, for my liking. I've never liked the Pixar look of highly detailed cartoony distortions, it's always looked off-putting to me. 3-d and cartoon facial distortion just don't gel well together.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How does the game play? Is it one of those failures that is worth picking up at a massive sale, or is it a pure waste of time?

ArchAngel

Arcane
How does the game play? Is it one of those failures that is worth picking up at a massive sale, or is it a pure waste of time?
I think it is fun if you can suffer nuXcom type of gameplay with small teams. Last big patch also made it much better.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you are guys interested I can go into more details. I played around 15 missions, I put it on pause when RT released so I can play that instead.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok let me split it into good and bad. Also let me note that game is nuXcom style so I will not put that under good or bad. If you didn't enjoy nuXcom system of combat, skip this game.
Good:
1. Mission maps are fairly large and you get to do some exploring. There are also hidden parts of the maps where you can get extra loot and refresh of limited abilities as well as something called Ink that is connected to something like cards from Hard West games.
2. Enemies are fairly different and they also got their set of skills that you need to account for when deciding what to do.
3. Each of your characters is fairly different from each other and you can naturally find different combos between different character skills.
4. There is not that much handholding, game describes the setting and basic rules and then leaves you to do things how you want them to do.
5. Characters have fairly interesting personalities, they are not heroes and it is reflected in their conversations, even if some of them are maybe woke.
6. Art style is cool, and so are sounds and effects.

Bad:
1. Only 3 guys per mission and only one team can be sent on one mission per cycle. Geoscape is similar to nuXcom1 where you get a bunch of missions per week but you can only do one. You can easily have 6 or more team members but you can always just do one mission per week. There are other types of missions that are passive where you can send one agent and at start of next week they give you something for it but those are not real missions.
Also to get new soldiers you need to do full missions which means you were not doing some others that week that actually forward the story and stop the Evil (tm) plan of your opposition.
2. Xp gain from missions is in form of global points that are then used to level up skills of agents you want. You can give those points to those that do not go on missions but why would you. This leads in combination with #1 to fast deciding who is your main team and just using those (unless you managed to get one of your soldiers injured during a missions which I suppose can happen on highest difficulty and if you play ironman).
3. Yea game has some woke stuff like a girl being a bruiser, at least with starting cast. Later agile assassin and healer are also girls which is more standard. Also some conversations are cringe but overall not that terrible. I put it under bad because I know some people here are extra irritated by stuff like these (if you never played BG:SoD because of "woke" stuff you will also not want to play this).

EDIT:
Middle: Combat is more like Xcom2 than Xcom1. It has stealth phase which is where you can use limited amount of abilities that disable enemies without breaking it. Some enemies are immune to this. This part is RTwP. But stealth phase does not stop like in Xcom 2 with first reveal. Once you take out a group of enemies in TB combat you can still use rest of your resources to take out more in RTwP. This RTwP needs some time to get to used to but considering I was able to successfully do it with a controller, it should not be hard with a mouse for rest of you.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hate it when games that encourage a diverse roster on paper end up incentivizing just spamming a main team
They kind of fixed that by an option that you can turn on at start that randomizes your starting team. For my 1st play I didn't touch that, later I learned what it does when I was researching if there is an option to do more then one mission per week. I think optimal is to have 5 characters, 3 for real missions and 2 for passive missions. Maybe 6 if you plan to also do ironman and have extra character when one of the other ones is injured and not usable for a while. But game is fairly easy, I forgot if I am playing it on hardest or 2nd hardest but it is still fairly easy compared to nuXcom hardest difficulty.

EDIT: For storyfags you want to recruit all characters as they get unique conversations between each other between missions and especially after important story missions. These are often funny as they love to take jabs at each other. These are not a group of friends :D

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
How is this compared to
30 million to produce a game that looks like dog vomit.
It does have a lot more detail than the much lower budget Shadowrun Returns https://fionabrunerart.artstation.com/projects/GXv9OV

Which likely contributes to the problem, cartoony works better when it's low-poly.
I think it would have suited the game far better than the overly-detailed cartoonish style they went for, which just looks weird to me. It would have also made the tone darker, which could have suited the theme better (i.e. looking more like classic pulp covers, for example, where the charcters are painted as realistic, but you have strong colours - i.e. noir but in colour).
I agree completely.

(A) Corporate marketers have found out different.
(B) Every now again some game sets a visual standard and if successful everybody gets lazy and just does the same. Players end up preferring a specific standard standard due to.. popularity from success.

Innovation is not interesting unless it's VISCERAL.

This goes back to how... we communicate on an "old school" message board, which at this moment requires a lot more of the brain than just twitter arguments or memes or whatever. It's hard for me to distinguish "left" and "right" here because most everybody here is well tempered by reason. I mean, VATNIK here is nothing, nothing like a real one.

I hate it when games that encourage a diverse roster on paper end up incentivizing just spamming a main team
Yep.
Which is why "Forced team rotation" (through willpower and the fatigue mechanic) is one of the best improvements War of the Chosen introduced to the XCOM 2 formula.
Well, that and also giving the player more chances to level up and diversify the alternate team members.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yep.
Which is why "Forced team rotation" (through willpower and the fatigue mechanic) is one of the best improvements War of the Chosen introduced to the XCOM 2 formula.
Well, that and also giving the player more chances to level up and diversify the alternate team members.
The Long War mod for XCom1 also forced that, you really need several leveled teams there to proceed.

J1M

Arcane
Yep.
I prefer missions where you are required to send, say, two of a certain class.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom