Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Steam Greenlight Thread - SHUT DOWN

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:greatjob:

Multi-headed Cow

I have doubts that indie developers who can't scrape together $100 are making "The best games". Working a part time job for funds to keep you moneyed to work on your game, sure. Acting like Valve is the great Satan because of a $100 fee for Greenlight which is "Anti-indie", hell no. If $100 is such a make or break amount to your videogame maybe you shouldn't be making games and should be flipping burgers full time. And the people saying "Well that $100 could be used to buy more sounds! More art! Software to produce a better trailer!" ok, sure. Finish your game, sell 10 copies on your own webpage to get $100 and then put it up on Greenlight instead of putting it on there when it's an alpha or earlier and you're still making the game. Greenlight and Steam aren't fucking Kickstarter.

:keepmyjewgold:

Wrote this from page 2, then read more rants along similar lines on page 3 but fuck it I'm posting it anyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Except that Steam is a fucking capitalist company that aims for profit, not saving the poor developers of the world... they are offering a service and asking for a fee in return; you would think that people would be used to that logic by now...
steam is a service and a drm scheme, not a company. the fee you pay for being on steam is the ~20% you give valve from all your sales, just like the fee for walking on pavements is included in your taxes and last but not least valve profits from having as many games as possible on steam, including total shit, small free stuff and f2p games, because even those are making them money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
steam is a service and a drm scheme, not a company. the fee you pay for being on steam is the ~20% you give valve from all your sales, just like the fee for walking on pavements is included in your taxes and last but not least valve profits from having as many games as possible on steam, including total shit, small free stuff and f2p games, because even those are making them money.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. If Steam is overwhelmed with shitty shovelware, its brand image will be tarnished and everybody will end up losing. Tragedy of the commons.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
the fee you pay for being on steam is the ~20% you give valve from all your sales, just like the fee for walking on pavements is included in your taxes and last but not least valve profits from having as many games as possible on steam, including total shit, small free stuff and f2p games, because even those are making them money.
Bro, is their service, they can charge 800% of the profit + your soul if they want... and even goverments can suddenly include a "extra pavement fee" on your taxes, especially if the only reaction are internet complains.

Sseriously, only first-worlders can be so naiive about capitalist companies and goverments. I'm sure the The Brazilian Slaughter would actually agree on this one.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They should make the fee $1,000 USD instead.

The man is holding you down? Fuck you boy, you are the man.

"B-but I am entitled for this!"

Why the fuck is Steam accepting incomplete, conceptual shit on Greenlight in the first place? Put a demo out, establish a fan base and a following. What is the point of it all if a thumbs up on a game we can evaluate and a game that "sounds cool" are of equal worth?

Routine looks interesting.

I'm not thrilled by "perma-death" and with only three people I doubt they'll have it ready by "early 2013", but it does look nice. Worth following at least.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Bro, is their service, they can charge 800% of the profit + your soul if they want... and even goverments can suddenly include a "extra pavement fee" on your taxes, especially if the only reaction are internet complains.
yes, that's actually true. doesn't change that your argument was as retarded as the one you were quoting.
If Steam is overwhelmed with shitty shovelware, its brand image will be tarnished and everybody will end up losing. Tragedy of the commons.
that is certainly the case. if only there was some kind of process that would allow steam users or valve itself to put up their shitty shovelware up for review so people or valve itself could exercise some form of control over what actually gets and what doesn't get on steam... one that wouldn't just be an attempt by valve at saving costs while at the same time maximizing the sales and lead to steam being flooded with popular shit voted by the tasteless mob of steam users, that is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
that is certainly the case. if only there was some kind of process that would allow steam users or valve itself to put up their shitty shovelware up for review so people or valve itself could exercise some form of control over what actually gets and what doesn't get on steam... one that wouldn't just be an attempt by valve at saving costs while at the same time maximizing the sales and lead to steam being flooded with popular shit voted by the tasteless mob of steam users, that is.

One idea I've seen is to have a two-tier system. The standard Steam that we have today, which everybody sees when they launch the app, and "unregulated" Steam with more lenient admission criteria. Very popular games on unregulated get promoted to standard.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
yes, that's actually true. doesn't change that your argument was as retarded as the one you were quoting.
How come? Valve has no obligations to follow peoples personal agenda, like helping small developers or allowing everyone to sell their games. They are free to do as they want, but yet people are angry as they never knew that, as they actually took Valve as the messiah of gaming, that only wants the best for the players.

The Errant Signal guy also thinks of Valve as the messiah, that their reason to be is helping indies and evolve the scene. And he compeltly underestimate the problems that Valve would have in selling games that might not work on some users PCs. Consumers would go after Steam for not delivering a working product, not after the basement-dwelling guy that coudn't make hs game work, it would taint Steam image and cause them a lot more headache then moderating game entriees.

One idea I've seen is to have a two-tier system. The standard Steam that we have today, which everybody sees when they launch the app, and "unregulated" Steam with more lenient admission criteria. Very popular games on unregulated get promoted to standard.
That is a great idea, but doesn't solve the hardware problem. On eBay you buy from a person, if it's broken you talk to the person. Steam works like a supermarket, if you buy a bad milk bottle you complain to them, not to the milk company. The trouble of making sure that every single game works is not worthy the cost, some games might just sell 10 copies, yet you had to assign a team of people to test & tweak it, is not a good model. And Steam would never make a "these games are not garanteed to work on your PC" area...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. Steam isn't obligated to do any of this... moreover, isn't the biggest argument of the Steam detractors that it shouldn't be a monopoly or whatever? You're arguing against yourselves on this one. Steam isn't the only venue a game can be released. Nor is Greenlight a mechanism for free publicity. As a developer, you have to market your game and get people interested in it, not Valve.

Dexter

Arcane
Fuck that shit, that's the reason why I use Steam and GoG instead of some retarded App Store or Desura or whatever, I don't wanna see crap cluttering everything and pouring down the walls.
If anything, there should be an option with a separate service hidden away like XBLIG or whatever called "Steam Shit" where they hide all the hunchbacks and put potato sacks on their heads so I won't have to deal with it and make it completely optional as an Extra TAB or something. There could also be a chance for "ascent" onto actual Steam through selling exceptionally or Steam Greenlight like processes, but fuck if I want your $1 crap you put together in a week cluttering the Store.

If anything, having to sort through all that shit in the Greenlight submissions (still not finished) has made me even more sympathetic to them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fuck, this 100 dollar thing has exploded into massive flamewars all across the hipster-sphere of indie developers. So many butthurt articles to paste, but they're all pretty much the same shit. I wish sgc_meltdown was here, he's good at this stuff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What's funny is no one complained before when Steam didn't have a Greenlight service. Anyway, all of these momos are just arguing academic points. From the first couple of weeks it is pretty obvious that maybe 5% of the games submitted will be approved by enough users. I'm still sifting through all of the titles and there's so much shit that's just laughably bad it's pathetic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What's funny is no one complained before when Steam didn't have a Greenlight service. Anyway, all of these momos are just arguing academic points. From the first couple of weeks it is pretty obvious that maybe 5% of the games submitted will be approved by enough users. I'm still sifting through all of the titles and there's so much shit that's just laughably bad it's pathetic.

Well, it seems that there's a quiet majority in favor restricting Greenlight (see comments here). These guys will huff and puff and eventually go back to Desura. Good luck to them.

Multi-headed Cow

You have rated everything in Greenlight! Come back later and we'll have more items for you to rate.
I did my part, bros!
:yeah:
I'll reach that point eventually. Been chugging along on it in bits and pieces, clicking the thumbs down button a whole hell of a lot.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Overall I 'upvoted' about 70ish (out of 700 or so?) games. Granted I have a pretty low interest in Adventure and platformers so I mostly downvoted those. Basically just used it as a mean to track stuff I would probably be interested in buying although there's maybe a dozen outliers that I would have to see further work on.

almondblight

Arcane
This kind of thing might not have happened if people weren't upvoting garbage on a massive level, and wouldn't have happened if people weren't uploading tons of junk. Seriously, read the comments for some of the garbage games - people either paying no attention to the game itself, saying "it will probably get better", or saying that you should vote for it because even though it's garbage, people should have the option to play it.

A large part too is that it seems like a large amount of gamers prefer to go to sites that serve as advertisements for AAA games, so indie games don't get much exposure, and steam becomes a lifeline.

So yeah, it's another "this is why you can't have good things." The biggest problem for indies isn't Valve, it's gamers acting like morons en masse.

Multi-headed Cow

Hahaha. Was poking through my queue because NO GAME ESCAPES JUDGMENT and found this.
Byte Rush is a 2D retro platformer being made by a 14-year-old in his spare time
Metro 14 minutes ago
You just wasted $100, sir.

GREENLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!
Still, he must be doing something right if he can collect $100 to put his game on Greenlight. A regular financial genius, if other indie developers are to be believed.

Edit: Christ, look at this entry. Look at the description. What the fuck are you doing putting your game on Greenlight, get the fuck out. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962578

kazgar

Arcane
Didn't they say stuff already on greenlight wouldn't be removed? its just new things will need the cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom