Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE WITCHER 2 is upon us!

Serus

Arcane
Patron
PrzeSzkoda said:
I must be one atypical Pollack potato because I am probably not going to play this game right now, if at all, since I did not get into the first part too much (I actually tried playing it twice, made it to the first act, got bored and am disinterested in continuing), but I do LOVE the drama on metacritic, especially the trolling grade 0 user reviews, and some of the equally as trolling grade 10 reviews. Maybe finally people will realize that metacritic is pretty stupid (especially the publishing suits and marketing dimwits of the glorious game industry).
No, you are not. Your post looks like it was taken directly out of MY head - including the TW1 part.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You shouldn't take torrent trackers that seriously Zed. So some deadbeats found a copy riddled with viruses and tried to play this on slow machines at uber settings and then whined about bugs and crashing?

I've put about 15 hours into the game and the ONLY bug I've had was from a LOD texture streaming error at the prologue monastery cutscene and immediately after, where the models took a second or two to load up their high quality modeling and textures. That's the only time something like this happened and I know it's due to me actually daring to run the game at a little too high settings anyway.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Skyway needs a Dumbfuck tag. It's one thing to play a game and not like it-- at least I can respect that the opinion is informed on some level-- but to go point by point making the most ridiculous and ignorant assumptions like this is a new low.

Naah, not a new low - it's just the some old shit he always spews.

Honestly, if he can't enjoy this game then it's definitely time to pick a new hobby..... Oh wait... he did that ages ago.... it's trolling these boards ;)

commie said:
You shouldn't take torrent trackers that seriously Zed. So some deadbeats found a copy riddled with viruses and tried to play this on slow machines at uber settings and then whined about bugs and crashing?

I've put about 15 hours into the game and the ONLY bug I've had was from a LOD texture streaming error at the prologue monastery cutscene and immediately after, where the models took a second or two to load up their high quality modeling and textures. That's the only time something like this happened and I know it's due to me actually daring to run the game at a little too high settings anyway.

Yeah, actually I'm really surprised at the polish this time round. I can't remember coming across any serious glitches or slowdowns. Hell, even the loading times, for a game this detailed, are absolutely amazing! A couple of seconds after hitting 'load game' and your in the game (I'm running it from an SSD, so mileage may vary).

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Serus said:
PrzeSzkoda said:
I must be one atypical Pollack potato because I am probably not going to play this game right now, if at all, since I did not get into the first part too much (I actually tried playing it twice, made it to the first act, got bored and am disinterested in continuing), but I do LOVE the drama on metacritic, especially the trolling grade 0 user reviews, and some of the equally as trolling grade 10 reviews. Maybe finally people will realize that metacritic is pretty stupid (especially the publishing suits and marketing dimwits of the glorious game industry).
No, you are not. Your post looks like it was taken directly out of MY head - including the TW1 part.

Potato high-five. : x

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
commie said:
You shouldn't take torrent trackers that seriously Zed. So some deadbeats found a copy riddled with viruses and tried to play this on slow machines at uber settings and then whined about bugs and crashing?.
This. I haven't encountered any bugs so far (a few hours in, still the prologue). No crashes, no hang-ups, no slowdowns either - and I maxed out all settings except disabling Ubersampling. My PC is no seventh wonder of the world too, with Q6600 (@3Ghz), Radeon 5850 and 4GB of DDR2@1000Mhz, Win7 x64.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AlaCarcuss said:
Hell, even the loading times, for a game this detailed, are absolutely amazing! A couple of seconds after hitting 'load game' and your in the game (I'm running it from an SSD, so mileage may vary).
I'm running it from a regular hard drive, and the loading time is very fast. Only a few seconds, and it's up.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
AlaCarcuss said:
Honestly, if he can't enjoy this game then it's definitely time to pick a new hobby.....

Really? I mean, who in the world wouldn't enjoy all the following magnificent features:
- it's a console slasher game, calling it even action rpg is a stretch
- consolized UI, inventory, meditation panel, character sheet - fuuuu
- minigames, qte, mouse-clicking like fuck to do something - FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
- controls are pretty unresponsive, especially during combat which unfortunately contributes to the otherwise good difficulty
- dialogues may be well written but the way they work (Bioware style) - fuuuuu, also very few options, at least thus far
- looting seems time consuming and really unsatisfactory - going through all the houses to get a few orens and some crafting stuff - bleh

All hallmarks of gameplay, every game has them, so if you can't enjoy them, you can't enjoy computer games.

Now please excuse me while I go back to playing Hearts of Iron 3, Iron Cross Edition. At least there is no shortage of good strategy titles to play.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Mrowak said:
Hold your Dragons DraQ - the game is initially very impressive, amazing, astounding and FANTABULOUS, but even guys from sell out CD-Action complained about the ending... And from what I saw this is very recurring complaint among those who reviewed the game (especially German magazines). Still, just for the beginning I think The Witcher 2 deserves to join Codex's noble 10.
Basically, they have complained that the ending is not epic enough and too dialogue heavy.

bonescraper said:
crappy minigames (seriously, i can't beat anyone in arm wrestling with my 5400 dpi mouse :/)
So far I have no problems with arm wrestling.

MetalCraze said:
Although I don't understand why do you need them in CoD Medieval which is a corridor game where you are being told what to do every 5 seconds.
You are constantly talking about the prologue. It was no mystery since long ago that the prologue is linear and that the first, second and third acts are open areas. You have been so determined to bash the game that you haven't even taken this under consideration.

As for the slow health regeneration during combat (AFTER YOU DRINK A POTION), for me it is better than just quaffing potions that instantly give you full health.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Apart from the looting I don't recognise the Witcher 2 at all in that list.

Console slasher - If it is then Gothic games are a console slasher as well.
Console UI, inventory, character sheet - I've absolutely no clue what you mean there. It's clear, easy to use and extensive.
Minigames, QTE and mouse clicking - QTE's are minimal and actually spice up the short gameplay and videos they pop up in. Minigames are just for those that want to earn extra money. Mouse clicking like crazy? Hardly.
Controlls are unresponsive - Lower or fiddle with your settings. Or plug in a gamepad. :trollface:
Dialogues - Exceptionally well written and plenty of them.
Looting - Apart from the fact that it's nice to be able to practically enter every house it is retarded that people don't get pissed off at you when you loot their home in front of them. However looting will bring very little, taking contracts and solving quests will give you all you need.

Gerrard

Arcane
Zed said:
Trash said:
Wait till you hit chapter one where you can play around in a town and the surrounding forest. Lots of exploring to do.
People said that about Twitcher 1 too. "WAIT UNTIL IT GETS GOOD" fffssss

In %, how much better is this that T1? It must be like 200% if it should be considered a good game.

EDIT: I read this on my #1 source of reviews, i.e. my torrent tracker
Thanks for the upload.

I'm very glad I tried this out before buying it because I would have been extremely upset about spending money on this.
I suggest that people go to the witcher site and report their bugs there. Apparently this game is a buggfest. Thousands of people have fps problems, installation problems, sound problems, gfx problems and so on.
It is not because of this cracked version.
The game is a utter fail and I now regret buying it from steam and wasting ratio here.
But people, go to their website and report problems. There's a big chance the problem also exists in retail version.
A $50 sequel should not be this buggy.
Fucking children never seen a buggy game.

- it's a console slasher game, calling it even action rpg is a stretch
What is an RPG?

minigames
OH NOES OPTIONAL MINIGAMES MY GAME IS RUINED

- controls are pretty unresponsive, especially during combat which unfortunately contributes to the otherwise good difficulty
No, they aren't. Play on easy if you suck so much.

- dialogues may be well written but the way they work (Bioware style) - fuuuuu, also very few options, at least thus far
Better to have few options that actually lead to different outcomes than "What did you see Shepard?".

looting seems time consuming and really unsatisfactory - going through all the houses to get a few orens and some crafting stuff - bleh
OCD is a bitch.

- consolized UI, inventory, meditation panel, character sheet - fuuuu
- , qte, mouse-clicking like fuck to do something - FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Only legitimate complaints. Confirmed dumbfuck

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
the fucking health regen during combat

Are you fucking retarded, that's how it works in witcher games, vitality regenerates at a pitiful trickle that you can boost with swallow, or white rafferds for a big boost in health but with high toxicity.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is funny that the arguments of those few guys who are endlessly bashing the game are on the same level as the "0 point reviewers" on Metacritic. They clearly haven't played the game at all, or just played the prologue on easy.

Data4

Arcane
Black_Willow said:
Trash said:

Face it you're just a Polish fanboy supporting your potato game.

Yeah, Trash. You and your... Netherlpolish self... enjoying a game. :olbermannface: HOW DARE YOU, SIR!? HOW DARE YOU!?

Jesus Fucking Christ, nothing but gaming hipsters here.

Data4

Arcane
Black_Willow said:
Data4 said:
Black_Willow said:
Trash said:

Face it you're just a Polish fanboy supporting your potato game.

Yeah, Trash. You and your... Netherlpolish self... enjoying a game. :olbermannface: HOW DARE YOU, SIR!? HOW DARE YOU!?

Jesus Fucking Christ, nothing but gaming hipsters here.
Uhm, I was being like, you know, sarcastic.

Oh.

sdfybt.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
You tell me. Does the witcher use the same art throughout? Do the encounters exist of a number of waves of enemies that teleport in around you?

Minor differences don't matter. Gameplay being very dumbed down is what matters.

Combat is difficult with different types of enemy needing a different approach. You'll also need a mix of melee, signs, potions, oils, traps and bombs to get very far on anything other than easy.

That's strange. All I was doing is hitting, rolling back , hitting, rolling back - AI is extremely dumb so it just swing a sword around like a retard just in time for me to finish my roll. That's apart from all other AI stupidity.

Linear corridor? Like the towns you run around in, the large swamps and the like? Or do you mean the prologue set in a besieged castle and later on a dungeon? Or perhaps that interactive cutscene where you have to press a button twice and walk down for 10 seconds?

Or perhaps cutscenes that constantly happen?
Why can't I just run around killing the shit out of enemy hordes? This is a console fighting game - why the fuck do people talk constantly in it?

I'm playing it with Nvidia drivers and it runs like a charm. Oh wait, you're using hyperbole. How quaint!
http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8845
Except this aren't Nvidia drivers that have a bug.
Upon uninstalling 3D Vision (which was on my PC since forever and never caused any problems) my FPS went from 5 in Geralt's cell to 60.

That's a rather bold conclusion. Good for you. I take it you played both games extensively to reach it?

Oh so now we reached the point "you haven't played it enough?"
I haven't touched DA2 btw, it's just funny how you whined about dumbing down in DA2 while praising/not noticing it in TW2.

MicoSelva said:
I haven't noticed that. Even if it's there, it's too slow to make any difference.
I've even beaten the first boss without breaking a sweat with a health regen.

Just walk backwards and regenerate your health while boss slowly walks towards you and throw aard at him once in a while to slow him down.

My health bar never went below 50% in that fight even though the boss uses shield that when used covers 360 degrees around him for some reason. So much for "challenging" combat.

Try playing on hard and see if that's the case.
It's the case.
It's your typical primitive AI from console shooters where AI is scripted to act semi-intelligently only in a certain area. Fun begins when they leave an area - I had AI running into walls and ridges which they can't cross a few times.

What's more insulting is that CDP is perfectly aware of that so unless you are within that zone none of your weapons or spells will deal any damage.

MicoSelva said:
but on the other hand, it's an RPG.
In that case games like Demon Stone and Enclave are RPGs too.
You swing your sword and watch cutscenes in both of them.

fizzelopeguss said:
Are you fucking retarded, that's how it works in witcher games, vitality regenerates at a pitiful trickle that you can boost with swallow, or white rafferds for a big boost in health but with high toxicity.

So suddenly health regen is a sophisticated game element and not dumbing down :lol:

And btw it's just 3 times slower than the one in DA:O.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You call that minor differences? An entire game repeating the same handfull of textures? An entire game consisting of combat encounters that are nothing more than wave after spawned wave of enemies? Amazing. The rest of your response is as usual about the same level so I feel free to call it dumbed down console popamole bullshit.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Skyway: Two things:

1. You arguments would have more convincing strength if I haven't played the game enough to know they're not true. I can only guess if You're so self-deluded as to believe what You write, or are just trolling.
2. Picking sentences out of context while ignoring those You don't have an answer for may be a very effective way to gain an upper hand in a discussion for You, but from my point of view makes continuing it pointless. Have a good day.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Trash said:
You call that minor differences? An entire game repeating the same handfull of textures? An entire game consisting of combat encounters that are nothing more than wave after spawned wave of enemies?
Aren't you a bit hard on ARMA 2?

BelisariuS.F

Augur
janjetina said:
Now please excuse me while I go back to playing Hearts of Iron 3, Iron Cross Edition. At least there is no shortage of good strategy titles to play.

Oh, now we are comparing TW2 to grand strategy games. Great...

MetalCraze

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Which is considerably "slower", cheers for tearing down your own argument.

In DA:O there's no regen during combat. In DA:O regen takes about 6 seconds to restore health from nearly zero to full. Waiting three times more while avoiding being hit is no big deal

Suddenly health regen becomes an acceptable gameplay element just as soon as your favourite game starts to have it

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So ... is the AI on Hard really as crappy and exploitable as Skyway claims?

Just wonderin'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom