Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE WITCHER 2 is upon us!

Exmit

Scholar
RmAs1.gif

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Oh yeah.

That show - and the dumbass movie comprising of its more inane parts, edited by some incompetent drunkard - is a million kinds of bad. It'd be so bad it's good were it not so boring.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
PrzeSzkoda said:
commie said:
They put in more elaborate C&C but oh now there's too many cutscenes.

So, going with your logic, they would have been unable to implement this "elaborate C&C" without the cutscenes? Really?

Well the decisions you make are usually handled in the cutscenes because it's a STORY DRIVEN game. So yeah, REALLY.

Darth Roxor said:
Cutscenes = C&C. More news at 11.

Yep. That's how The Witcher handled it, and so that's how The Witcher 2 handles it. So it's not 'news at 11' but 'news from 2007'.

I don't know how you define 'codex trinity', but if we agree that it's stuff like Arcanum, Fallout, PS:T, I advise you to launch those games again and check what happens when you browse through people's belongings.

Yep I did. Most don't say a thing. Others whine but do nothing. Only in certain areas do people give a shit. I urge you to play these games and then get back to me.

Fucking Skyway parodies, back to the drawing board with you.

Gerrard

Arcane
My savegame folder is almost 2GB, and I'm only halfway through act 2.

Looks like they kept something from Aurora.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
commie said:
Yep. That's how The Witcher handled it, and so that's how The Witcher 2 handles it. So it's not 'news at 11' but 'news from 2007'.

Not sure if serious

Yep I did. Most don't say a thing. Others whine but do nothing. Only in certain areas do people give a shit. I urge you to play these games and then get back to me.

If by 'don't say a thing' or 'whine but do nothing' you mean yelling 'HANDS OFF MY STUFF' and then attacking if you try again, then you have a clever definition of 'do nothing'.

Fucking Skyway parodies, back to the drawing board with you.

:roll:

Gerrard

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
If by 'don't say a thing' or 'whine but do nothing' you mean yelling 'HANDS OFF MY STUFF' and then attacking if you try again
And then the whole town attacks you. Truly the pinnacle of game design.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
commie said:
They make an NPC schedule, yet they don't make NPC's angry when you steal stuff(incidentally like in almost every RPG and including the Codex Trinity). WHAT THE FUCK??
The point of adding an NPC schedule is to make NPCs behave more realistically...why is it so absurd to complain that they don't react to theft?[/quote]

So they partially act more realistically. It's a step up. The problem I have is that if the NPC's did the same shit as in the first game then you'd have people here whining that they don't act realistically. When CDP adds schedules, NOW people are whining that they don't react to theft. If in TW3 they add reaction to theft, people here will complain that there's no childbirth in the game....

You think with a small budget and a deadline they didn't have to make compromises and leave out stuff for another time? In the first Witcher they got rid of scabbards because they couldn't get them to work properly and it would have been pointless to waste man hours on such a thing. I bet a similar thing happened here.

@ Darth

I don't know what version of Fallout you were playing but I've stolen a shitload of stuff from shelves in those games and people have said nothing. Maybe there is a distance or visibility cone/trigger thing and I just didn't trigger it. In that case I stand corrected.

Oh and I was being serious. Most of the C&C in The Witcher was decided upon in the cutscenes. You fucking doubt this? There's a bit more C&C in TW2 and they continued the same tradition so what's the fucking problem here? That's how this game series resolves C&C!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
commie said:
PrzeSzkoda said:
commie said:
They put in more elaborate C&C but oh now there's too many cutscenes.

So, going with your logic, they would have been unable to implement this "elaborate C&C" without the cutscenes? Really?

Well the decisions you make are usually handled in the cutscenes because it's a STORY DRIVEN game. So yeah, REALLY.

So the only way for a, as you put it, STORY DRIVEN game to present opportunities for C&C is through cutscenes? Really?

The problem I have is that if the NPC's did the same shit as in the first game then you'd have people here whining that they don't act realistically. When CDP adds schedules [...]

There was some basic scheduling in the first part. Day/night cycle, people going to sleep, etc.

Oh and I was being serious. Most of the C&C in The Witcher was decided upon in the cutscenes. You fucking doubt this? There's a bit more C&C in TW2 and they continued the same tradition so what's the fucking problem here? That's how this game series resolves C&C!

I do not like this way of resolving C&C and consider it maybe not decline per se (since it's nothing new) but meh and annoying. That's what put me off the first part. Especially those goshdarnged stupid flashbacks with Geralt musing how things could have been different were you to choose the other of the two options (never got past Chapter 1, so they might be giving more options later on in the game) presented to you during 'em cutscenes.

Also

You think with a small budget [...]

I dunno if I'd call their budget small. Random Internet reports claim it's been around 10mil USD, though I guess they had probably gone all out on the game and it might be more than that. It's 1/4th of, say, Mass Effect 2's budget (IIRC), but keep in mind that production costs in potatoland would be lower than abroad (f.i. I don't think the dev-team was being paid in USD but Polish Potato Zloty).

The aggresive marketing around here (shit's everywhere here in Warsaw - you can't spit slantwise in any mall whatsoever without your spittle hittting Geralt's visage in the eyball) does not make me think the game's budget should be considered "small".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
zomg. I give up. Please tell me if Witcher 2 actually fixed the first one's issues and I might consider getting it:

1. Respawning monsters in the wilderness/sewers.
WHY? WHY DO I NEED TO FIGHT THESE DROWNERS EVERY FUCKING TIME ?

2. A torch? FOR DARK PLACES? CMON!
So they gave me a torch in TW1. I equip it and light it up to explore dark places, then Geralt would think there's no monster about and put it away. SO UNFUCKING HELPFUL.

3.EXTREMELY RETARDED QUEST PROGRESSION
Nurse: Hi, my grandma's been acting strangely.
Potatoland Sephiroth: Sure, I'll help.
Enters the house
Loading screen..............loaded.
Old lady: WHO ARE YOU
Potatoland Sephiroth: Uh...
Old lady: GET OUT!
Loading screen..............loaded
Back outside
Player: WTF?

4. Repetitive Loading Screens
I think the above example might have been fixed by 'ONLY FOUR LOADING SCREENS IN TW2 claim. BUT HOW LONG DOES IT LOAD?'

5. Dialogue
INVESTIGATE THESE GUYS
Potatoland Sephiroth: I wanna know your connection with Shinra
Cockstain the Alchemist: wuT? NO I NEVER!
Potatoland Sephiroth: I believe you / I dont' believe you
Cockstain the Alchemist: YOU HAVE OFFENDED ME WITCHER.

Conversation ends.

Player attempts to speak again.
Player: ????????????????????

Solution:
LEAVE THE HOUSE
LOADING SCREEN................................LOADED
RE-ENTER
LOADING SCREEN................................LOADED

Player: ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I like the C&C but the delivery is just so painful. FFS. It's putting me asleep with the area transition and flat dialogues with so very little memorable speech delivery.

PLEASE TELL ME THEY FIXED ANYTHING IN THE SEQUEL. EVEN THE ELITE EDITION STILL SUCK DONKEY BALLS.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RK47 said:
5. Dialogue
INVESTIGATE THESE GUYS

Conversation ends.

Not sure, but are you saying that every NPC in the game must always be friendly to you?

RK47

Patron
I'm not complaining about the rude dialog leading to NPC snubbing the players afterwards...which can be fixed by leaving and returning later.

But the dialog flows is so bad! IT CAN BE FIXED.

SERIOUSLY BUT WHAT AM I READING IN ELITE EDITION IS JUST BAD.

I'm comparing it directly with Alpha Protocol dialogue flows and always felt greatly disappointed. Imagine if Geralt is able to pick a certain stance when approaching situations. I mean, fuck, entering a house and stopping him? OK If I picked 'Friendly' maybe I'll leave quietly, but not when I'm 'Aggressive.' I should have had the option to tell that old lady to just shove off.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Jaesun said:
RK47 said:
5. Dialogue
INVESTIGATE THESE GUYS

Conversation ends.

Not sure, but are you saying that every NPC in the game must always be friendly to you?

RK47 is getting stupid...

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Jaesun said:
RK47 said:
5. Dialogue
INVESTIGATE THESE GUYS

Conversation ends.

It's not that. I remember that this annoyed me too. Cockstain the Alchemist (I see what you did there, RK47 :smug:) is a plot character, you need him to advance the plot. He gets annoyed when you question him (as do many other characters, both important and minor). He won't talk to you until you leave the area you're currently in and return. Then you get a clean slate.

I remember the dwarven smith from the 1st chapter acting the same way when I asked him about Scoia'tael. But since he's the only smith in the area - and God forbid that any player who annoyed the smith would be prevented from getting the custom sword he can forge - you just had to leave the area (enter a house or the inn) and then you could talk to him as if nothing's happened.

Same with a zillion other characters.

RK47

Patron
Yes, that was my point, if I'm stupid for being unable to ignore how badly that dialog exchange was, then I apologize for being too sensitive in the RPGCodex Review.

I should've taken off my monocles first and set the voice over to Pollack so I could at least pretend the voice acting wasn't terrible and read subtitles instead.

But the subtitle itself burned my eyes with how unnatural conversation takes place.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
PrzeSzkoda said:
I remember the dwarven smith from the 1st chapter acting the same way when I asked him about Scoia'tael. But since he's the only smith in the area - and God forbid that any player who annoyed the smith would be prevented from getting the custom sword he can forge - you just had to leave the area (enter a house or the inn) and then you could talk to him as if nothing's happened.
I tried entering the inn and going back. Didn't work for me, he was still pissed. So I didn't get the sword.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Elwro said:
PrzeSzkoda said:
I tried entering the inn and going back. Didn't work for me, he was still pissed. So I didn't get the sword.

C&C, motherfucker! :rpgcodex:

Elwro

Arcane
Havoc said:
Elwro said:
PrzeSzkoda said:

I know. I was pointing this out, because some folks have said it is enough to go to the inn to "reset" the dwarf. In my case it wasn't, so it was an example of C&C.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Elwro said:
Havoc said:
Elwro said:
PrzeSzkoda said:

I know. I was pointing this out, because some folks have said it is enough to go to the inn to "reset" the dwarf. In my case it wasn't, so it was an example of C&C.

Might have been a bug, dunno. He did re-set for me (I was not playing the EE, since it was not available back then, mind you).

Phelot

Arcane
PrzeSzkoda said:
Jaesun said:
RK47 said:
5. Dialogue
INVESTIGATE THESE GUYS

Conversation ends.

It's not that. I remember that this annoyed me too. Cockstain the Alchemist (I see what you did there, RK47 :smug:) is a plot character, you need him to advance the plot. He gets annoyed when you question him (as do many other characters, both important and minor). He won't talk to you until you leave the area you're currently in and return. Then you get a clean slate.

Same with a zillion other characters.

I had a lot of trouble understanding what was actually being said. A lot of conversations appeared to be some sort of weird collection of disjointed thoughts and curse words and I literally whispered to myself several times "What the fuck am I reading?" the EE helped things a bit, but a lot of it was very difficult.

I really REALLY hope TW2 is better.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the whole point of my responding: I also recall that I would anger NPCs for no apparent reason. The Dwarf being one of them. I don't think I had heard of the scoia'tae yet or maybe I did, but missed it, but when I asked him about it you just get a vague "ROOFLES! FUCK YOU!" and me scratching my head.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, I was playing the EE. Perhaps they fixed this, then. (Somehow I doubt it; must've been a glitch in my game :D)

Esquilax

Arcane
I agree with RK47, the dialogue flow from what little I played from the Witcher felt really unnatural. It didn't "feel" like a conversation between two people, because I've never seen anyone converse in that manner. It's been a while since I played it, and I didn't get past the first act, but what I saw of that was pretty bad.

I mean, I could be completely off here, but that's what my experience was when I played it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RK47 said:
But the dialog flows is so bad! IT CAN BE FIXED.

Yeah, what little I did play of The Witcher, the dialogue flow was indeed terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom