Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Played W2 on medium to high settings. According to the released requirements for the third game my gpu is below minimum. Is it worth it to buy a new gpu and possibly a psu to support it? Don't think so.

Darkzone

Arcane

Darkzone

Arcane
BTW i wonder when devs will start to use raytracing as answer for such problems. Restirization has a big problem as almost everything needs to be rerendered instead of being product of lighting like shadows for example.
In raytracing you cast light photon and shadow is just by product of lighting like in real life. This also means that raytracing has ability to render far more faster really really big things like whole cities and such as power is limited mostly to amount of photon and bounces where in traditional restirization power needed rise exponencially with size of rendered object (ie amount of things on screen). This also solves problem of shaders as there wouldn't need to be different shaders for each and every material.
Games already started to do screen space reflections and use raycasting for different things.
Raytracer have also their slow moments depending on sampling sizes and different light reflections and sources, bla bla bla..

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I've seen a few realtime RT engine attempts. We're definitely getting there, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a few years.
(same thing used to be said about Global illumination/radiosity)

Paul_cz

Arcane
The 3GB video looks stunning. Sure there are some weaker textures or whateverthefuck, but who cares. The atmosphere it creates is just glorious, can't wait to explore it. And I love the NPC design, their clothes and faces look all so good, puts all other games on the market to shame. AC Unity has better lightning, but it is also prebaked with no day night cycle, so obviously it can look better. But ACU is complete shit compared to this, otherwise. In gameplay design especially.

Stelcio

Savant
MeanwhilePotato could you please source this. Or did you even played it?

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...icles-Part-2?p=1400149&viewfull=1#post1400149

XuLVr0w.png

So more like lore-determined loading screens, i.e. it would be so dull to travel there in real time that it makes sense to just load the area instead. Two birds on one stick.

hiver

Agreed. I have no doubt the game will look and run great with certain combination of settings, although my PC master race ego would like, if it looked and ran better than on consoles. ;-)
It already does look much better then console versions. (there was one interview... i think gamespot with those two... things... and they mentioned sli configuration they tried, just saying, i dont take it to mean much overall)
I dont know but generally speaking it looks to me as somewhat upgraded engine they used for TW2, atleast in graphical fidelity. Its just adjusted for much bigger space that is rendered.
Im not expecting any big problems with it, unless they really, really badly optimize it.

And i have never really played a game that cannot be run on lower then recommended minimum specs. Such numbers are always a generally set "safety limit" not actual minimum requirements.

Of course we would all like to play in the world fully fleshed out but i dont think it will loose much with some details tuend down and low or no antialiasing.
Who knows, maybe running it on Mantle will bring some performance.

Would be nice if anyone of those hype peddlers asked will they optimize it for Mantle.

Fine. My bad. Although loading screen for accessing an island could be considered as acceptable.
It is acceptable. But i really, really dislike them lying about it, or "twisting the truth" - especially considering what "bros" they are trying to present themselves as, and all the previous such bullshit.

Who knows, maybe they will find a way to connect all the regions into one before the game comes out. Atleast some islands should be reachable by fucking boats they have in the game... although they modeled that as well as i could model a real spaceX rocket.

But at the moment it seems they are going for a few big zones that are separated from others.
Would be nice if any of those "game journalists" would do their pretend jobs and actually ask questions. But they are probably not even allowed to.

- ninjaed-

ok then, its even worse then i thought.

I'm also a little disappointed by the fact that this isn't open world after all. If it is divided into different maps why tease the open world thing in the first place?
So they can keep spraying PR about Skyrim and how much bigger their world is and all other meaningless but hype inducing bullet points, of course.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MeanwhilePotato could you please source this. Or did you even played it?

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...icles-Part-2?p=1400149&viewfull=1#post1400149

XuLVr0w.png

So more like lore-determined loading screens, i.e. it would be so dull to travel there in real time that it makes sense to just load the area instead. Two birds on one stick.
Skyrim has loading screens whenever you go in a building and GTA 3 had the same layout as W3 (3 areas that loaded).

I played the first game about two or three times to the end and i played the second up to that fight you do as a ghost.
Last time with that "enhanced" combat patch which makes it impossible to go through that part of the game.

That piece of shit part is what made me ragequit on my last attempt too, also with the combat patch. Maybe it was actually possible to do but having to click a bunch of times to skip dialogues after every death only to die 10 seconds after again and again infuriated me to no end. The last straw was when I tried to lower difficulty from Dark and got reminded that I'll lose my armor and weapons because they all came from Dark exclusive recipes. :lol: Immediate next step was "delete local content" from steam. CD Project might be overall better at writing and creating atmosphere than Bioware but they're actually a lot worse when it comes to game design.

I want to play the "Witcher" game, but i don't want to be a "witcher" -
Does that make sense?

No.

Last edited:

Stelcio

Savant
So i see this is a story from someone, who supposedly was told by someone that he knew.... Ooooookkkkkeeyyy....

They referred to a specific issue of a specific magazine. If you call this bullshit, please get said issue and show us there's none of this there, because this transcript is from August, it appeared on multiple sites and nobody called it false since its appearance. Calling things dubious because "internetz" when source is provided is as dumb as believing everything in "internetz" without checking on it.

Skyrim has loading screens whenever you go in a building and GTA 3 had the same layout as W3 (3 areas that loaded).
Why would they talk about GTA3 in the first place when GTA5 had release just few months earlier? Unless you're just pointing out the alleged structure of W3 is similiar to one from a game from 15 years ago. Still further info from this post claims that one area is to be bigger than whole Skyrim world, so I wouldn't exactly compare GTA3 to W3, considering how small were the areas in former.

hiver

Would be nice if anyone of those hype peddlers asked will they optimize it for Mantle.
Nope, no Mantle, Wild Hunt is done in cooperation with Nvidia and optimized towards GeForce cards more than for Radeons.
What a fucking cretins!! Morons!!! :argh:

Are you sure? It seems such an obvious thing to do, especially if they expect performance issues... ffs!
its probably Nvidia paying them not to do it... fuking shits!

That piece of shit part is what made me ragequit on my last attempt too, also with the combat patch. Maybe it was actually possible to do but having to click a bunch of times to skip dialogues after every death only to die 10 seconds after again and again infuriated me to no end. The last straw was when I tried to lower difficulty from Dark and got reminded that I'll lose my armor and weapons because they all came from Dark exclusive recipes. :lol: Immediate next step was "delete local content" from steam. CD Project might be overall better at writing and creating atmosphere than Bioware but they're actually a lot worse when it comes to game design.
I couldnt do it even lowering difficulty ... but then again i didnt notice any change because of it. I would die from one or two hits at the most.

And in that ghost form you cannot roll, cannot dodge, you have no signs... and the worst thing is that i couldnt even parry! because the commands for that ACTUALLY CHANGE WHEN YOU BECOME GHOST!! :argh::argh::argh:
you can only try running around in that small corralled space and die when three enemies catch you.

Whoever came up with that fucking idea should get a punch in the face for every reload any player did there. Preferably by me.:argh:

Oh the rage... arrghh.

Only saving grace was that i played the demo version, -That i got from a friend! fuckers!

I want to play the "Witcher" game, but i don't want to be a "witcher" -
Does that make sense?

No.
I was just :retarded: at that one.

The rest of codex too, probably. And thats saying something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkzone

Arcane
So i see this is a story from someone, who supposedly was told by someone that he knew.... Ooooookkkkkeeyyy....

They referred to a specific issue of a specific magazine. If you call this bullshit, please get said issue and show us there's none of this there, because this transcript is from August, it appeared on multiple sites and nobody called it false since its appearance. Calling things dubious because "internetz" when source is provided is as dumb as believing everything in "internetz" without checking on it.
Yes this post was made on 26.8.2014 at 04.16 based on the latest September Issue of Gamestar that was released on 27.8.2014. The burden of proof lies upon the people who make the claim, not on the people who doubt it.

Edit: some sources say it was released in 25.8.2014

Dank des Wunders des modernen Internets kann ich Ihnen meine Damen und Herren sagen: Krieg! Krieg! Krieg!
The Translation is correct. The two hubs are around the size of 2x the skyrim region and are not the only hubs.
The skellige islands, which are a very small part on the large map are around 8kmx8km (larger than Skyrim).
Even if we pull from each side 2km away it is still as 40% of Skyrim.

Last edited:

cfisher2833

Learned
Man the devs seem sooooo desperate to make people pre order the game it's not even funny.

They sold their souls a while back. As for the optimization issues....I'd be really amazed if the engine is well threaded at all. It was a DX9 engine that simply got bumped up to DX11; it wasn't created from scratch with a focus on multi-core systems. Also, for how the game looks, that kind of performance isn't remotely justifiable.

Tuluse: Chinatown Wars brah. Easily the best GTA since Vice City (which still remains the best--fuck rap, I wantz good 80s music!!)

Stelcio

Savant
Yes this post was made on 26.8.2014 at 04.16 based on the latest September Issue of Gamestar that was released on 27.8.2014. The burden of proof lies upon the people who make the claim, not on the people who doubt it.

I hope this you will find satisfying enough: http://www.idgshop.de/$WS/idg/websa...tar/einzelausgaben/2014/G2D1409_Leseprobe.pdf

Doch je höher die Erwartungsblase, desto leichter kann sie ein kleines Detail platzen lassen ... hm, ein kleines Detail ... okay, wie wär’s damit: Auch wenn viele Spieler davon ausgehen, hat The Witcher 3 keine offene Spielwelt, zumindest nicht im klassischen Sinne. Anders als etwa in Skyrim oder GTA gibt es keine durchgehende Karte, auf der man ohne Ladepause vom einen zum anderen Ende spazieren kann. Stattdessen wird die Witcher-Welt genau wie in den Vorgängern oder in Dragon Age in mehrere »Hubs« unterteilt, also in separate Regionen. Warum diese Unterteilung? »Die Abstände zwischen den Schauplätzen sind zu groß, als dass eine durchgehende Spielwelt umsetzbar wäre«, sagt der leitende Leveldesigner Peter Gelencser. »Beispielsweise liegt zwischen Novigrad und den Skellige-Inseln locker eine Tagesreise, diesen Zwischenraum können wir unmöglich sinnvoll füllen.« Wie genau man von Hub zu Hub reist, stehe noch nicht endgültig fest: »Wir experimentieren derzeit mit mehreren Möglichkeiten. Es soll aber keinesfalls kompliziert werden.« Zwischen bereits besuchten Regionen darf Geralt voraussichtlich per Schnellreise-Teleport hin und her springen, indem man einfach auf die Karte klickt. Zum Spielbeginn stehen dem Hexer allerdings noch nicht alle Landstriche offen, auch nicht zu Fuß. Geralt schaltet die Regionen nämlich erst nach und nach im Rahmen der Story frei. »The Witcher 3 beginnt in einem kleineren Hub, der als Tutorial dient«, sagt Gelencser. »Aber keine Angst, da wird euch nicht erklärt, welche Tasten ihr drücken müsst. Stattdessen könnt ihr hier schon mal Geralts Kampfkünste erproben, euch mit den Questentscheidungen vertraut machen und die Gegend frei erkunden, so wie später auch in den größeren Abschnitten.« Wo dieser Sandkasten-Auftakt spielt, will uns CD Projekt noch nicht verraten, dafür bekommen wir einen guten Eindruck davon, wie groß die »größeren Abschnitte« ausfallen werden. Wer bei »Hubs« an die vergleichsweise engen Open-World-Arenen eines Dragon Age 2 oder The Witcher 2 denkt, liegt nämlich daneben. Weit daneben.

Gerrard

Arcane
It worked for Morrowind, just crank the walking speed way down and put in some fog.
And then a couple years later you end up with this
sytTg3H.jpg

Not to mention all the crazy shit that let you travel at silly speeds.

And in fucking Skyrim towns are less than 5 minutes of walking away.

Darkzone

Arcane
I hope this you will find satisfying enough: http://www.idgshop.de/$WS/idg/websa...tar/einzelausgaben/2014/G2D1409_Leseprobe.pdf

Doch je höher die Erwartungsblase, desto leichter kann sie ein kleines Detail platzen lassen ... hm, ein kleines Detail ... okay, wie wär’s damit: Auch wenn viele Spieler davon ausgehen, hat The Witcher 3 keine offene Spielwelt, zumindest nicht im klassischen Sinne. Anders als etwa in Skyrim oder GTA gibt es keine durchgehende Karte, auf der man ohne Ladepause vom einen zum anderen Ende spazieren kann. Stattdessen wird die Witcher-Welt genau wie in den Vorgängern oder in Dragon Age in mehrere »Hubs« unterteilt, also in separate Regionen. Warum diese Unterteilung? »Die Abstände zwischen den Schauplätzen sind zu groß, als dass eine durchgehende Spielwelt umsetzbar wäre«, sagt der leitende Leveldesigner Peter Gelencser. »Beispielsweise liegt zwischen Novigrad und den Skellige-Inseln locker eine Tagesreise, diesen Zwischenraum können wir unmöglich sinnvoll füllen.« Wie genau man von Hub zu Hub reist, stehe noch nicht endgültig fest: »Wir experimentieren derzeit mit mehreren Möglichkeiten. Es soll aber keinesfalls kompliziert werden.« Zwischen bereits besuchten Regionen darf Geralt voraussichtlich per Schnellreise-Teleport hin und her springen, indem man einfach auf die Karte klickt. Zum Spielbeginn stehen dem Hexer allerdings noch nicht alle Landstriche offen, auch nicht zu Fuß. Geralt schaltet die Regionen nämlich erst nach und nach im Rahmen der Story frei. »The Witcher 3 beginnt in einem kleineren Hub, der als Tutorial dient«, sagt Gelencser. »Aber keine Angst, da wird euch nicht erklärt, welche Tasten ihr drücken müsst. Stattdessen könnt ihr hier schon mal Geralts Kampfkünste erproben, euch mit den Questentscheidungen vertraut machen und die Gegend frei erkunden, so wie später auch in den größeren Abschnitten.« Wo dieser Sandkasten-Auftakt spielt, will uns CD Projekt noch nicht verraten, dafür bekommen wir einen guten Eindruck davon, wie groß die »größeren Abschnitte« ausfallen werden. Wer bei »Hubs« an die vergleichsweise engen Open-World-Arenen eines Dragon Age 2 oder The Witcher 2 denkt, liegt nämlich daneben. Weit daneben.

Yes thank you, it would be sufficient. So by providing die Leseprobe you have acted correctly. But naturally i have also looked into it and have read it.
But honestly after seeing the whole map i doubt that without hubs this scale of world is manageable. If you take the big witcher world map the skellig islands are only 1/25 of the whole world map, and this parts alone is at least 40% - 80% of the size of Skyrim. Let us assume that they are using similar sized pieces of map then we have 4-6 of this hubs. With the lower estimate of 40%-80% this would be then between 160% to 480% of Skyrim.

Edit: The entire map without hubs would be around 40km x 40km.

It worked for Morrowind, just crank the walking speed way down and put in some fog.
And then a couple years later you end up with this
sytTg3H.jpg

Not to mention all the crazy shit that let you travel at silly speeds.

And in fucking Skyrim towns are less than 5 minutes of walking away.
>morrowind 2002
>Witcher 3 2015

thirteen fucking years. you would expect them to come up with something new

and i run Morrowind on Intel Celeron 366mhz with 128 mb ram and Riva Tnt2 :M

Yes thank you, it would be sufficient. So by providing die Leseprobe you have acted correctly. But naturally i have also looked into it and have read it.
But honestly after seeing the whole map i doubt that without hubs this scale of world is manageable. If you take the big witcher world map the skellig islands are only 1/25 of the whole world map, and this parts alone is at least 40% - 80% of the size of Skyrim. Let us assume that they are using similar sized pieces of map then we have 4-6 of this hubs. With the lower estimate of 40%-80% this would be then between 160% to 480% of Skyrim.
they also claimed TW3 to be 30 times bigger than TW2. As if TW2 was not full of fucking corridors and small as fuck locations :lol: PR department of CDProjekt is full of retards throwing big meaningless numbers.

Darkzone

Arcane
CDP Red on a grand world theft with the codename 'The Witcher 3' ? If they can pull this off, then respect. I mean not the theft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom