Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hivemind

I miss sex cards.

Gerrard

Arcane
x1SIRBD.png

Kurwa

hivemind

shit trailer, like actually terrible

but it showed broche so I don't mind that much

Edit: well it's not roche it seems

whatever taler is also alright

just wish siegfried would also show up

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Game is still goty

Stay mad plebs
Why would I be mad that you play shit games?

I'm not mad just mad you guys can't enjoy things.

Sometimes in life not everything has to attain some impossible ideal in order to be enjoyable
Enjoy this! *grabs crotch*

We're all just very tired of bs advertising. There is a certain acceptable limit, in other products. Video game advertising has no standards at all, say what you want about anything, make videos in media player and pretend it's in game footage. Say one thing one week, go back on your word next week, back pedal some more in the next announcement. Blatantly claim you have changed things from last iteration of the game when in fact you didn't even think about it. Blah blah blah.

The rage here is mostly for cdr not the typical AAA, console crap they created.

All the lies, marketing bullshit, forum police state behavior and utterly failed damage control all contributed to the hate, which has cdpr now promoted to the big leagues. The companies from which you expect nothing more than stupid shit console craptoid games with an awesome button. Something you may buy accidentally while high or drunk or in bargain bundle just for lulz and posting funny pics or vids later.

The hate would be less if cdpr just said, a few years ago, look pc owners, we thank you for starting us up but now we dont give a fuck bout the pc anymore, we want to play with the big boys and get all those console monies OK? So we will make a console turd and maybe port it to pc if we have time and a cheap summer intern available to do the work for us, no promises though.

You guys are dumb if you never figured that out. As soon as I heard simultaneous release on all 3 platforms I knew what was going to happen. You think watching the AAA market for over a decade now would've clued you guys in, but did you really ever believe those OG gifs of W3 were real? Cmon cuz

made

Arcane
Time to GTFO of this thread before everyone goes crazy on the spoilers. See you suckers when I've ploughed the game with my own cock (so some time next year).

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
IMO, writing is really good in both of the games, it's just TW1 is less friendly to newcomers.
I must disagree. I played TW1 without reading any of the books, and I thought everything about is was perfectly understandable. It didn't explain the full backstory of every single book character, but I didn't think it needed to. I'd say it was easier to get into TW1 than TW2, actually, because the former is more gentle with the way it feeds you information. At the start you're introduced to the witchers, Triss and the bad guys, there's a simple hook to get things going and then you're quite quickly on your way, exploring the world at your own pace and meeting new characters one at a time. No big exposion dumps, it just tells you what you need to know and lets you find out more on your own.

TW2, on the other hand, has pretty bad pacing issues and vomits exposition on the player for several hours at the beginning. It only lets you off the leash after spending about an hour in Flotsam, and by that point you've been told about the ending of TW1, told the background of the La Valette siege and the political situation of Temeria and the surrounding kingdoms, introduced to a dozen or so plot-critical characters (all of whom have very different roles in the game world) and twice as many secondary ones (some of whom are straight from the books and never appeared in the first game), shown all of the problems in Flotsam one by one, and all this while jumping from flashback to another and teaching the player all about the game mechanics. It doesn't help that the dialogue omits a lot of this information, as many things are only explained in the journal and Geralt generally knows much more about what's going on than the player does. Then the game lets you run around a bit until it repeats the same thing in Act 2. I really can't see it being easier to get into for new players, even though all of the necessary information is there as long as you pay attention.

Cadmus

Arcane
SPOILER ALL THE SHIT FROM NOW ON YOU FAGETS I WANT TO BE ABLE TO KEEP READING THIS THREAD

IMO, writing is really good in both of the games, it's just TW1 is less friendly to newcomers.
I must disagree. I played TW1 without reading any of the books, and I thought everything about is was perfectly understandable. It didn't explain the full backstory of every single book character, but I didn't think it needed to. I'd say it was easier to get into TW1 than TW2, actually, because the former is more gentle with the way it feeds you information. At the start you're introduced to the witchers, Triss and the bad guys, there's a simple hook to get things going and then you're quite quickly on your way, exploring the world at your own pace and meeting new characters one at a time. No big exposion dumps, it just tells you what you need to know and lets you find out more on your own.

TW2, on the other hand, has pretty bad pacing issues and vomits exposition on the player for several hours at the beginning. It only lets you off the leash after spending about an hour in Flotsam, and by that point you've been told about the ending of TW1, told the background of the La Valette siege and the political situation of Temeria and the surrounding kingdoms, introduced to a dozen or so plot-critical characters (all of whom have very different roles in the game world) and twice as many secondary ones (some of whom are straight from the books and never appeared in the first game), shown all of the problems in Flotsam one by one, and all this while jumping from flashback to another and teaching the player all about the game mechanics. It doesn't help that the dialogue omits a lot of this information, as many things are only explained in the journal and Geralt generally knows much more about what's going on than the player does. Then the game lets you run around a bit until it repeats the same thing in Act 2. I really can't see it being easier to get into for new players, even though all of the necessary information is there as long as you pay attention.
Maybe so, though generally TW2 was less confusing for newbies, or at least so I gathered from other resources (while on Codex a) everything is shit and b) many played TW2 after TW1 and/or read the books). As for journal - well, in TW1 it was superior, with that I agree.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Witcher 1 was superior to Witcher 2 in almost every aspects. Its a damn fine crpg and everyone who claims otherwise deserves to play bethesda games in hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom