Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theyrin - an isometric indie RPG (WIP)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Looking good, I like it. And yeah, Sculptris is a good free alternative to its bigger brother, zBrush.

Jaesun said:
Why do people hate single character games? I love them.

Jup, me too. You could go with a compromise and only add temporary followers, mercenaries or however you want to call them. Make them AI controlled like in Fallout - doesn't really qualify as a "party" in my book then.

MCA
AI controlled followers take more work despite never having worked right in any game. I want both types, single player and party based but temporary followers should also work great for a single player game, with complete control over the follower.

Shemar

Educated
Controlling multiple characters in combat makes combat a lot more interesting. It also allows for more interesting and focused characters both in and out of combat.

AI controlled allies is pretty much the worst idea ever. It completely defeats the purpose of making combat more interesting tactically by giving you the equivalent of complete morons to babysit instead of actual allies.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It depends.. I'm planning to use some similar system to the Fallout one, but you can still give your companions passive orders, like ctrl+click on hex - move there - ctrl click on enemy, attack him there, etc. It's a compromise between full party based games and AI controlled companions.

Shemar

Educated
While that may make a game playable it will bring it way lower in likelihood to be played by me that if I had full control of every ally. Probably even lower than if it was strictly single character. AI allies tend to cramp my style. I also see pretty much every game that makes that choice (to have allies controlled by AI with generic commands by the player instead of direct control) as one more opportunity missed for a great combat system and while it may not make logical sense it does create strong negativity towards that game inside me. But that's just me.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Surf Solar said:
It depends.. I'm planning to use some similar system to the Fallout one, but you can still give your companions passive orders, like ctrl+click on hex - move there - ctrl click on enemy, attack him there, etc. It's a compromise between full party based games and AI controlled companions.
How about a "command" skill based on Cha and Int where a successful skill check would allow you to take over companions for the turn? I've seen something similar in Buck Rogers and it was pretty cool.
This way you could have controllable party for partyfags but only when they create a partyfag character.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Surf Solar said:
How about a "command" skill based on Cha and Int where a successful skill check would allow you to take over companions for the turn? I've seen something similar in Buck Rogers and it was pretty cool.
This way you could have controllable party for partyfags but only when they create a partyfag character.

That's actually a good idea, with too low skill/CH npc may refuse to do the action you assigned to them, or even backstab you when loyality is too low.

Andhaira

Arcane
Be sure to add in Katanas. It should be very possible to play and beat the game using a warrior mage weilding a katana.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
AndhairaX said:
Be sure to add in Katanas. It should be very possible to play and beat the game using a warrior mage weilding a katana.
and Cloud's sword

andhaira.png

bit_abuser

Novice
The only kind of sword I have in plans right is some kind of a machete. I do like those fancy swords Dorthraki use in GoT though, might have some of that ;)

I have the first music track and it's wonderfully dark and unsettling, it's a WIP though, so I won't post it just yet without permission. The artist says he has some sketches ready and I'll have them soon too.

mangsy

Educated
I liked that combat demo music. Will keep tabs on this project. :)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I saw you were also a gm8 user, learning as you go along so I thought of a couple things you might find useful.

Making an RPG with GM means you'll eventually need to use the file inclusion system. You may or may not have that down, but if not just ask & I can give you some useful code. You may not feel the need for that as you probably have few images at this point but it bloats real quick.

Also, if you were thinking about porting to Mac later, know that GM4Mac is actually GM7, which doesn't read GM8 iles. That was a cold shower for me. There are porting utilities out there but don't count on them for something as complex as an RPG. So either forget Mac until GM9 comes out (said to be multi-platform), or switch to GM7 now (not recommended, it sucks at manageing sound among other things, and it's a lot slower). I wasted a LOT of time rewriting in GM7 and ended up with a pile of trash.

Hope you'll be back - I see it's been a little while already.

bit_abuser

Novice
Sorry guys for the lack of updates, but my life suddenly got very complicated, I'm in the process of selling my house and moving to another country (Sweden), so currently I have very little time to spend on this project. It is not in any way dead however and as soon as I have everything sorted out I'll continue developing it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
ECVaZ.jpg

Do you even check your own posts?

Switch from Imageshack to Imgur.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom