Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theyrin - an isometric indie RPG (WIP)

bit_abuser

Novice
Worked fine when I posted it, a while later it was broken, and again ok a bit later... And it's not happening on another forum, weird. Opening the image directly seems to do the trick though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This site is banned from images loading from Imageshack. Most users here won't see them (unless they know how to bypass that from Imageshack).

bit_abuser

Novice
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Ezqan.jpg

bit_abuser

Novice
The outlines are intentional, I just like that look. It makes some objects look out of place now, cause not all them have shadows yet.

Trilobites?

Well I won't lie - easy to animate ;) (And their movement animation for all directions is already done)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This looks almost the same as the tents in Fallout. :)
Just a bit more fucked and rugged up. I like it!

bit_abuser

Novice
Thanks and yeah I had an image of a tent from Fallout open while working on this one ;)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Don't know what kind of approach you're taking, but you may have to disassemble these tents into individual wall and ceiling tiles, and then reassemble them with map editor into the in-game, enterable, tent.

bit_abuser

Novice
I'm probably just going to make the interior a separate screen that you move to when you "touch" the entrance. It's easier and faster that way for me, and I'm trying to be as productive as I can with the time I have available now.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Okay, but you may run into combat balance problems. If you want the entire settlement to dissuade player from attacking people inside the tent, then you have to make the tent and the settlement take place on the same map. Otherwise, each house becomes a convenient "genocide pocket" which lets you kill the few people inside of it without others running in from outside and shooting at you immediately.

Pathfinding and various combat maneuvering is part of this too. This is why Gamebryo "loading every house" shit is a retarded gameplay continuity breaker.

bit_abuser

Novice
Hey, thanks a lot for that post, it's actually a very good point. I can think of an easy way to make it work, but I didn't think about it and I'd have to rework it later.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Move along, Andhaira, I don't think this game have katanas.

Indeed, it looks good so far.

EDIT: Wow, previous post already deleted.

kaizoku

Arcane
Looks cool.

I also don't like the black outlines. They make sense from a developer's POV, but not from the player which makes things look "detached" from the surroundings.
Could you please post a screen without the black outlines?

I'm also wary of the post-apoc setting.
Even in AoD I twitch my nose about that. And in your game it seems to make even less sense considering the tech level of the characters in the screens you posted.
I'd love for a RPG set in the Bronze or Iron Age periods.

bit_abuser

Novice
looks better than Age of Decadence

Wow, thanks, but I'm going to have to disagree here... Especially since what you see on that screen is almost everything there is in the game right now ;)

Could you please post a screen without the black outlines?

Not really, sorry, the outlines are not generated, they're a part of the sprites and I would have to remove each one manually for that screenshot.

I'm also wary of the post-apoc setting.
Even in AoD I twitch my nose about that. And in your game it seems to make even less sense considering the tech level of the characters in the screens you posted.
I'd love for a RPG set in the Bronze or Iron Age periods.

Than forget I said anything ;) It's hard to explain exactly what this setting is, you might as well call it fantasy. Bronze or Iron Age could be fun to play, but a bit constricting for me. The most fun part of making a game like this is creating the world and it's nice to have the freedom to put anything cool you come up with in it. And the fallen civilization thing is very convenient from that point fo view.

bit_abuser said:
Hey guys :)

I'm developing an RPG game, mostly Fallout and Arcanum inspired. The project is now a bit over a month old and this is what it looks like so far:

newtribal.png

mentor.png

tribal.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZsB97e-Ww

I'm creating all the graphics myself, and the sounds are just a placeholder taken from another game.

[EDIT]Just to clarify, I'm not the author of that drawing, It was done for me by a friend.

The setting is a mix of post-apocalyptic sci-fi with some fantasy thrown in. Unlike in Fallout it's far, far future and the civilization has collapsed completely. Humanity consists of tribal societies and there are no continents (or at least no one knows about them), just loads of islands, villages and city-states. I'm considering some sort of magic, which would be very rare and actually just possible with ancient high-tech artifacts (so it would just appear as magic).

If there's any interest at all I can keep posting updates.

I'll gladly ask any questions and listen to advice :)

Love the setting idea. You might want to take, as an inspiration, the ending to the BOOK 'I am Legend', which was also the original ending to the film before test audiences said it was too bleak.

In both versions the main character realises that (a) the 'vampires' /zombies are evolving over time - they're learning fire, taming dogs, forming permanent mating partnerships etc, and (b) that THEY are actually aafraid of HIM. But in the original ending (the book ending, and the original film ending), the guy never manages to finish making his antidote. Instead, he realises that this is effectively a new species of humanity, growing from the beginning.

And here he is, raining death upon them during the time that they are asleep (daytime, which for them is night - the time when they can't see properly and scary things lurk outside), using devices that kill with destruction beyond imagination, and that are so far advanced of anything they can understand that they may as well be magic - automatic rifles, grenades, land-mines, flamethrowers, mounted guns, tanks - all of the things that he is using to smash through their compounds and annihilate their communitites, are - to them - the big bad wolf, the unspeakable monster, wreaking havoc through 'magic'.

And then in his dying moments, he realies that he is essentially the equivalent of the source of legends in 'original' human mythology - that multiple generations will grow, and the story will get even miore twisted, until HE becomes the LEGEND, the vampire, the witch, the werewolf, the horrible monster of the night. Hence the final line 'I am legend'.

Now, I don't think you should implement any of that plot at all. But it sets up a great way for how these far-future people would see 'magic'. An automatic rifle would be a wand of death. A grenade would be a potion of the vilest and most terrifying witchery. A helicopter would be some form of vast witchery teleportation device. A mortarr would be some form of terrifying rain-of-fire magic. And a missile - an honest-to-god missile, with a nuke, or even a moderate-size munition attached, whether surface-to-surface or ground-to-surface - that could be nothing but the horror of the devil himself.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Dying thoughts are hard to portray on screen.

Anyway I bit the Hollywood ending hook line & sinker. It may be a typical dumbing down of the original book, but not a bad one imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom