Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Thiaf Pre-Release Thread

MetalCraze

Arcane
thief_next_gen-9.jpg

One of my predictions was that this piece of shit will have retarded minigames

CHECK

Can't wait for health-regen announcement
And assassination missions
Health regen in a Thief game? Glorious!

So, low FOV and visible hands? Okay.

The whole "dark Steampunk city" thing is originally from Thief and was copied by Dishonored, so I hope you're not referring to that.

Dark? I guess modern gamers don't know what dark is

thief_next_gen-12.jpg

Tap X to break his neck?

So thankful Gaydos updates yet another outdated ancient-school game for modern audience

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Garrett looks... not like Garrett. And that bow?! :( He looks like the Assassins Creed guy and all those screens scream dishonored too me. Maybe there will be larger city levels since this is targeted at the "next generation" consoles... but because it's targeted to those consoles leaves me not that interested. I'm afraid that, just like Ultima, my beloved Thief and the thrill it gave me will never grace my computer again.* :cry:

*Unless I fire up Thief Gold or Thief 2 again :P

Lancehead

Liturgist
That's not Garrett, where's the eye scar.
Edit: Noticed it's a reboot. Meh, don't like the design.

Gord

Arcane
Would probably make some sense to drop Garret as pc, considering T3.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The purpose of the lockpicking on Thief was to make you waste time opening a door so there was a chance of the guard returning to your position, so good timing was required and lockpicking could be very tense. This minigame could work too (the lockpicking mechanics on Thief aren't exactly very complex), but if the time stop or slow down while you are lockpicking or the minigame can be completed very fast by someone with twich skills it would be MASSIVE:decline::decline::decline:, I have absolute contempt for people who want every game being easy to don't hurt their fragile egos, if they find annoying that guards can catch them while they are lockpiking, fuck them, why they don't go to shitbook play some pseudo games until they die of boredom.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Good news, they've announced the game and released some screenshots. Also, a decent lock-picking mini-game.

Bad news... just about everything else. Thief is a game that cannot be done justice with screenshots, sound was too big an element, and hopefully someone at Eidos remembers that.

That it's being released for the consoles immediately disqualifies it as a contender for Thief 1 and 2. That leaves Thief 3 as its rival. Hell, it would be funny if The Dark Mod came out on top over this.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
At least the game seems to be 1st person view and not the retarded behind-the-ass-camera view.
So there is hope.

Lancehead

Liturgist
A reboot for a whole new crowd, but must use the old name to give false hopes. Now I'm just waiting for the inevitable RPG elements, and of course multiplayer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
d4p2KPkJ_2M.jpg

HNNNGGGG, lockpicking minigame confirmed.

Hahahahahahaha oh wow.
OH WOW.
That looks exactly like Oblivion's lockpicking minigame.
If it actually plays the same, then... oh wow. How can you take inspiration from that horrible turd Oblivion for a fucking Thief game. Wow. :lol:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was pretty awesome. Thou those wheels were hexagons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if it's an actual reboot like the Game Informer article says.

Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRsOQ4MS_8

I love thief series. even TDS. I liked Deus ex HR. I even managed to enjoy dihonored as an inferior stealth game. But i'm afraid of thief 4. Afraid because I loved the fact they're promising they would do a sequel, but I was hoping the feeling of anticipation would last forever. I wanted this game to be a "duke Nukem forever"style of vaporware, but never really release, only to give us a sense of excitment and urges to play the originals.

Now that the thing is looking more solid and certain, and seeing this video where they show scenes from the originals and that they want to keep the series DNA, they try to seduce us with false hopes and in our excitment, we want to believe, but we all know the truth and it will be a popamolization of thief. I want this game to be so good but I know it won't. I have a mixed feeling of naive excitment and realistic disappointment, and that makes me nauseous, dizzy and I want to vomit.

Thief 4 would be better vaporware, and we could aways speculate how good or how bad it was.

Worst thing is I know I'll at least not take it from an inventory.

Divinity: Original Sin
I wonder if it's an actual reboot like the Game Informer article says.

God, I hate this word. It's an official way of saying "what came before sucks". By the screenshots anyone can see it's not really looking like a reboot in the storyline, since there's garrett with his mechanical eye.

and I said in the previous post I was afraid of this game, and what scares me the most is this game being successful and we having to hear consoletards saying those stupid things like this being the first thief game, or that the originals were shit... I wanna puke...

TripJack

Hedonist
:lol: fucking thiaf apologists already popping up

this game will be an abomination

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed Dishonored but I have my doubts about being able to enjoy this. I'm a Thief fanboy and if they rape this, I'll go full rage fanboy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's too early to tell, but I think the best we can hope for is that the core Thief style of gameplay will be viable and well-supported, but it will not be the only style of play that the game allows and encourages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom