Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on Bethesda

• Thread starter User was nabbed fit
  • Start date

User was nabbed fit

Melissan said:
Azrael the cat said:
So if the game just didn't SHOW the int stat in the stats screen, but when you levelled up you could choose 'raise magicka by raising intelligence', and then showed you the resulting magicka in the stats screen, that would be fine?

Or how about we do a system like what Melissan says, where we replace int with magicka (remember, we'd rather int did other things, but we're assuming that's out). But when you click on the button to increase magicka a little message comes up saying 'raising intelligence in order to raise magicka'. Would that be enough?

Don't you think that's getting a little close to LARPing?
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm so tired of being called a troll and it's so nice when someone agrees with you. I said exactly the same thing and I even thought that the poster was way too much into LARPING (I dated a guy once who took his role-playing way too seriously and believe me it's not a pretty picture), but didn't want to sound like most people here.

What? LARPing? I'm probably one of the last people on the Codex who would ever consider LARPing. I'll just stick with the "Live Action" part of my life -- no roleplaying needed, thanks.

@ Azrael. I think that messages, at least as direct as that one, are a bit too blunt. I don't want message constantly explaining what's happening or why. This isn't about larping; it's about creating a seamless experience, a good game. Call me old fashioned, but I'm just used to having an "intelligence" stat in games. To be honest, I don't even really care that much about the actual mechanics; what really annoyed me, and why I quoted it, was that it's clearly one of the 'dumbing down' aspects in Skyrim. People are put off by taking a minute or so to figure out that to raise mana you need to raise your intelligence. So they dumbed it down and changed it to something the lowest common denominator can understand the second they open the menu. It's decline, pure and simple. Doesn't really matter if it works the same way... what matters is that a traditional concept (int. being commonly associated with mana) was axed to make it more accessible to people who don't usually know anything about stats and how they work in games like this. Please don't tell me you believe in any of the crap Todd's feeding you.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Melissan said:
CappenVarra said:
Melissan said:
I'm not an alt!!!
So, 40+ posts in two days, an ex BioWere boards member, token female (of the non-tranny persuasion), used to date an annoying Larper, who seems to know precisely what games and ideas about gaming are going to enrage the largest population of the codex the most, as if she was reading the codex for years and carefully updating rpgcodex.txt...

Sure, stranger things have happened.
You make it sound like I've joined to spam and piss people off. I don't think that 40 posts in two days is an unreasonable number especially if there are many active threads. Whom I date is my business as I'm here to talk about games and I would appreciate if certain posters take a hint and stop trying to chat with me via PMs. I didn't make any threads trying to provoke anyone. The very first thread I saw was the Planescape one and it already had many pages. I made a mistake of sharing my opinion in this thread naively thinking that it won't make me everyone's enemy. Even though many people here share my opinions I'm the one being called a troll. You guys think you're unique, but this is a typical predominantly male forum behavior. Insecurity and paranoia. People are out to get you, to infiltrate your treehouse, and turn brother against brother. I' don't even know now what I was thinking when I joined.

Except here brother is already turned against brother. Or 'turned on' in some cases. Or sending each other tubgirls. It's complicated :)

If it makes you feel better, some people are calling me an alt as well (see a few comments above). And do you see me crying about it? Here's a hint: if you only join a forum after actually bothering to read some threads, you might actually get a impression of what you might expect there (such as being suspected as an alt for the first 10.000 posts or so), and make an informed decision whether joining it is your cup of tea (or vodka).

Let's pretend you're really not an alt. Would you go to a site widely known for it's love of beer, and start criticizing anything that's not (american) Budweiser? Would you expect to be welcomed with open arms, and your opinion given weight? Could that be considered trolling, perhaps? Would an angry mob with pitchforks unfairly materialize? See, it's a learning experience when you think it through a bit :)

Another free tip: since you're fellow Bioboards posters, Volourn might have a few tips about understanding the codex, finding it's core values, and getting prestigious custom tags.

Melissan

Educated
Admiral jimbob said:
Melissan said:
People are out to get you, to infiltrate your treehouse, and turn brother against brother.

See, the problem is, this is completely the case. It would be easier to explain if the forum search engine were working, but as it stands, have three names: drog, Chefe, Bryce. Bryce in particular has been driving from city to city to get around IP bans and register up to thirty alts a day in order to construct new personalities and attempt to tear the Codex apart from within for years, and he's just the worst offender. The reason you get called an alt is because - and I'm not saying you are one - simply going by the laws of probability, you almost certainly are. Defending Oblivion, attacking the Codex as a whole for having the wrong opinions and so on are all staples of Drog alts as well.
I didn't defend Oblivion. Actually I said I was a bit disappointed. I didn't attack the Codex as a whole or one group at a time. I didn't say that anyones opinions are wrong. But none of it matters, does it?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Guy talking to himself through alts...multiple personality disorder anyone ?

Also, we've never met but, Sup' Drog !

Xi

Arcane
Melissan said:
In many games I played 'you're Intelligence' does nothing but raises magic points. Cutting out the middle-man is a good idea, unless you somehow think that hardcore is using three stats to do what one can.

Bahahahaha!

A true RPer would rather have the effect of intelligence increased to affect more than just "Magicka." A silly, mainstream, dipshit, faggoty gamer(like you) thinks "Good idea, dumb that shit down!" Basically, you are affirming what VO is saying. Bethesda has targeted people like yourself, and it's working in spades.

Bahahahaha!

Ladonna

Arcane
Melissan said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Melissan said:
People are out to get you, to infiltrate your treehouse, and turn brother against brother.

See, the problem is, this is completely the case. It would be easier to explain if the forum search engine were working, but as it stands, have three names: drog, Chefe, Bryce. Bryce in particular has been driving from city to city to get around IP bans and register up to thirty alts a day in order to construct new personalities and attempt to tear the Codex apart from within for years, and he's just the worst offender. The reason you get called an alt is because - and I'm not saying you are one - simply going by the laws of probability, you almost certainly are. Defending Oblivion, attacking the Codex as a whole for having the wrong opinions and so on are all staples of Drog alts as well.
I didn't defend Oblivion. Actually I said I was a bit disappointed. I didn't attack the Codex as a whole or one group at a time. I didn't say that anyones opinions are wrong. But none of it matters, does it?

See the ignore button? Use it if you cannot deal with any particular poster.

Hopefully that is over with.

Melissan

Educated
CappenVarra said:
Let's pretend you're really not an alt. Would you go to a site widely known for it's love of beer, and start criticizing anything that's not (american) Budweiser? Would you expect to be welcomed with open arms, and your opinion given weight? Could that be considered trolling, perhaps? Would an angry mob with pitchforks unfairly materialize? See, it's a learning experience when you think it through a bit :)
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

I didn't come here to attack anything. I didn't start the Planescape thread. I saw an f-ing discussion about Planescape and posted my opinion. THATS ALL!!! I would NEVER post anything bad about any game in a thread where people share good memories or somesuch. Didn't you read the thread?

You have people like Castanova, Zomg, Clockwork Knight, Xemous and some others criticized Planescape and for a good reason. I thought it was a discussion where everyone was welcome to offer an opinion. Or only people who's been here for more than 3-4 years are allowed to criticize games and all newbies are expected to like everything?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Ladonna said:
Melissan said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Melissan said:

See the ignore button? Use it if you cannot deal with any particular poster.

Hopefully that is over with.

Yes, good thing the forum has ignore button. I hear there's one in real life too. I think they called it slashing your wrists or something. You people give it a try and tell me how it works out. :smug:

Xi

Arcane
Melissan said:
I thought it was a discussion where everyone was welcome to offer an opinion. Or only people who's been here for more than 3-4 years are allowed to criticize games and all newbies are expected to like everything?

Your opinion reflects the sophistication of a 6 year old. You assume that we understand your points, without elaborating on them(No depth at all!), and then you pretend that your opinion, because it is your opinion, is the most valuable of all. You are a mouth breather.

:thumbsup:

Melissan

Educated
:x

Now I know what these stupid emoticons are for. This is exactly how I feel now.

I explained my opinions. Nobody explained why they were so horribly wrong. If you don't want to talk, then don't!

You are a mouth breather not me!

Xi

Arcane
Melissan said:
You are a mouth breather not me!

g74c9tvreu.jpg

Melissan

Educated
Crispy said:
Oh, shut the fuck up. Go away if you can't handle the Codex.
Oh I bet you feel real good telling a woman to shut the fuck up. So manly.

Gord

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
The reason you get called an alt is because - and I'm not saying you are one - simply going by the laws of probability, you almost certainly are. Defending Oblivion, attacking the Codex as a whole for having the wrong opinions and so on are all staples of Drog alts as well.

No, the reason for getting called an alt is simply that for a lot of people here this is the only way they can think of to sound witty (other than using :smug:)

A little bit sad for a group of people that hold themselves in such high esteem...

Xi said:
You assume that we would even try understand your points, although different from my own (Not hive-mind at all!), and then you pretend that your opinion, because it is not my opinion, is valuable at all. We are hypocrites .

Fixed it for better legibility.

Xi

Arcane
Gord said:
Xi said:
You assume that we would even try understand your points, although different from my own (Not hive-mind at all!), and then you pretend that your opinion, because it is not my opinion, is valuable at all. We are hypocrites .

Fixed it for better legibility.

Haha! You are correct, all opinions are of equal quality.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Melissan said:
I didn't defend Oblivion. Actually I said I was a bit disappointed.

I thought you did somewhere, possibly just read it in somewhere between "Skyrim looks amazing" and "lol Daggerfall looks dumb". My apologies, nobody deserves to be called an Oblivion fan without cause.

I didn't say that anyones opinions[/the Codex] are wrong.

"...Do you really want to explore a gameworld that looks like this? Does everyone on this site? There must be something wrong with you guys then" etc.

But none of it matters, does it?

The fact of the matter is, as tiresome as the alt assumptions are - and they're fucking boring to see as well as be subjected to - they come with good reason. There's really no easy way to disperse them, given that one of Bryce's alts did a full Let's Play of an obscure game purely to build himself up as a legitimate account. I'm afraid it just takes time.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Gord said:
Admiral jimbob said:
The reason you get called an alt is because - and I'm not saying you are one - simply going by the laws of probability, you almost certainly are. Defending Oblivion, attacking the Codex as a whole for having the wrong opinions and so on are all staples of Drog alts as well.

No, the reason for getting called an alt is simply that for a lot of people here this is the only way they can think of to sound witty (other than using :smug:)

What is the point in this post? It's not true, nobody's opinion is going to make a sudden 180, it is all noise and no signal, kill yourself and fuck the body.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder if this is just Black Cat being bored and trolling the Codex. :roll:

/anothertiresomealtassumption

And if not, well, welcome to the Codex, sis. :P

Melissan

Educated
Admiral jimbob said:
Melissan said:
I didn't defend Oblivion. Actually I said I was a bit disappointed.

I thought you did somewhere, possibly just read it in somewhere between "Skyrim looks amazing" and "lol Daggerfall looks dumb". My apologies, nobody deserves to be called an Oblivion fan without cause.
Whatever. Skyrim does look great. Nobody here can convince me otherwise although I'd like to see them try.

The fact of the matter is, as tiresome as the alt assumptions are - and they're fucking boring to see as well as be subjected to - they come with good reason. There's really no easy way to disperse them, given that one of Bryce's alts did a full Let's Play of an obscure game purely to build himself up as a legitimate account. I'm afraid it just takes time.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm not doing anything to gain some idiots approval. I'll talk to people who aren't falling apart just because someone has a different opinion and will ignore the rest.

Melissan

Educated
root said:
I really fail to see the contradiction between your opinion and theirs but then again it's not like you're making much of an effort to clarify your point (nor are they but it's not all that hard to figure out methinks) so you must be enjoying yourself
There are no contradictions, but I'm new and a girl and it makes me an alt and a troll. It's ok. Mine isn't the first opinion that's been dismissed because it came from a woman.

Like I care what some idiots think.

Melissan

Educated
Xi said:
Melissan said:
Whatever. Skyrim does look great. Nobody here can convince me otherwise although I'd like to see them try.

Bahahaha!
Any other lines, buddy? The material is getting a bit old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom