Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time Travel! Yesterday's backup put back.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@Stauff: True! I thought that at last the site would get more "public" recognition - Obsidian, CDP Red...

Calis

Pensionado
Spacemoose said:
now that he's taking a vacation from moderating, this initiative will probably stall which sucks
Maybe, maybe not. It's still under staff-forum debate. Besides, it'd be DU or myself implementing it anyway. Though this begs the question: why not just go to DAC's wasteland if that's your thang?

Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, that's why I'm out. I don't want to enforce anything without the overall consent.
I was rather under the impression that the 'consent' was in your favour by a margin of two to one. Or were there not enough votes?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elwro said:
@VD: I have no idea about the validity of the results of the "Vote for our future!" poll, but it seems most people want a more controlled RPG Codex. (I do.) Also, I really hope you continue to post, most content in here is really prima sort.
Meant admins, not all posters.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Spacemoose said:
elhoim, nedrah, jedilearner and a bunch of others:
I cannot believe the staggering amounts of your faggotry. "dare to use the name of che guevara" :barf: stop taking things so seriously

Heh, sure thing. I wasn't dead serious about it, but it's hard to tell with written words.

It just that it would be nice that you guys use that energy to something more productive for the RPG world, instead of playing teh rebel.

What I meant with that post is that true rebels are dead, and that now freedom means having a cellphone.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Who cares what most other admins say, VD? I just took a look into the RPG Codex News Forum and you made pretty much all the posts there lately. The Codex will suck if we have no content-posters anymore. :|

Cassidy

Arcane
Elwro said:
@VD: I have no idea about the validity of the results of the "Vote for our future!" poll, but it seems most people want a more controlled RPG Codex. (I do.) Also, I really hope you continue to post, most content in here is really prima sort.

It was a "Totalitarianism or Anarchy?" without any intermediary choice. Many people actually would choose that intermediary, if it existed. Plus General Discussion doesn't have a reputation for people taking polls seriously.

Spacemoose said:
after my ban I was negotiating with him about establishing a "demilitarized zone" subforum where regulars could bullshit with few restrictions, leaving GD to have undisturbed "serious discussions"

I once had a tiny guild forum when I played an MMO and created a guild, there was a no man's land forum called "Anarchy", but with a twist: Auto-pruning was activated to occur daily there to avoid loading the limited bandwith with BS.

Spam sections never work, speaking from experience. For whatever reason, they tend to decrease activity in the more "serious" general discussion board(s), and bring the forum down a bit as a whole. I would vote against that particular idea.

Isn't this "decrease" of activity from the people who would otherwise post spam in the more "serious" general discussion board(s)?

MountainWest

Scholar
@VD Only a fucking moron - or someone who was here soley for the lulz, as you put it - would say anything else than that your good deeds far outweighs the bad. I'll especially miss your interviews. Hope you reconsider.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Calis said:
Spacemoose said:
now that he's taking a vacation from moderating, this initiative will probably stall which sucks
Maybe, maybe not. It's still under staff-forum debate. Besides, it'd be DU or myself implementing it anyway. Though this begs the question: why not just go to DAC's wasteland if that's your thang?
Well, it was unlocked yesterday and I can't say that I liked the results. I'd vote against it now.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Stauff said:
The most troublesome thing is that now many pretty damn good developers start actually pointing people to Codex on their websites (Obsidian and CD Project f.ex). This may help some poor sods drowned in Beth soft to understand what it makes to play REAL role-playing games. Of course Codex is good for its democracy but it's really bad that newbies will see all this internet dramas, totally useless imho... As for Vault Dweller leave, currently it's the worst time to leave, while we have a decent RPG year finally. It's time to celebrate, not quarrel, damn it...

I wholeheartly agree. This is a great opportunity for the Codex, to become a beacon for all the people that truly loves RPGs.

spacemoose

Erudite
Calis said:
mainly because I like it here. going to DAC means another set of forumites/posters and I like the codex crowd

Nedrah

Erudite
VD, you actually already know that the majority is all for letting the people who ruin it with their "the codex is exclusively for lulz"'ish ways for the rest of us go.

Take that break if you must, maybe it'll give you some room to focus a bit on more important things, like finishing up your game.

However that may be, it's obvious that this forum is split into the people who are here because they want to talk about games and/or enjoy a higher level of general conversation than they can find on other boards - and then there's the crowd who's here because they want to / can get away with shit.

Actually, yes, give them their own pit to lul around in. Instead of banning them, revoke writing access for all boards ecxept that one. Call it the lulz-codex or whatever. I'm sure somthing fun will even come out of it from time to time. That being said, I'm more than surprised that those people that actively took part in hijacking and messing up the site are still allowed to pat themselves on their backs publically.

Edit: Well, looks like I should actually have read through more than the first few posts, as part of this is obviously already being discussed.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
I don't want to enforce anything without the overall consent.

Well, there's where it all goes to shit, then.

Perhaps you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. The good, deep RPG discussions are the cake, the eating is the lulz. The two just don't mix, water and fire. The whole freedom breeds intellectuals crap is anarcho-commie bullshit anyway.

But I'll leave the backbenching to the regulars.

Calis

Pensionado
Brother None said:
Vault Dweller said:

Well, there's where it all goes to shit, then.

But I'll leave the backbenching to the regulars.
Don't worry. My somewhat-forceful way to have VD take a break was, like I said, mainly for his own good. I have no qualms about instituting further moderation whatever whichever poll says, and I'm sure DU doesn't, either. Though obviously with different people doing it, the style will be different.

Cassidy

Arcane
Brother None said:
Vault Dweller said:

The whole freedom breeds intellectuals crap is anarcho-commie bullshit anyway.

Offtopic: It was never intended for Internet Forums. And I'm sure there were not too many intellectuals during Stalin's regime, because "Comrade Stalin is right!" is something that requires minimum brain power. It's more of "freedom allow people to be intellectuals" though.

And no, there can be a balance between jokes and CRPGs... I wouldn't like to see Codex without any LULZ about Oblivion or just-released next-gen games.

Offtopic 2: Hey BN! Any news about Beardude's "expansion pack" for Fallout 2?

MetalCraze

Arcane
VD is a definitely good newsposter. Why he won't do this now?
Simply let him rest from the moderation, that's all. In the recent month VD was too stressed with this shit and started banning and dumbfucking for a small deals (not for NSFW pics of course, but for pretty calm posts), so he must rest for some time.

Still I don't get why he can't stay as a newsposter? Or a newsposter must be a mod?

also that wasn't the taste of freedom. that was anarchy.

Jora

Arcane
Brother None said:
Perhaps you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. The good, deep RPG discussions are the cake, the eating is the lulz. The two just don't mix, water and fire. The whole freedom breeds intellectuals crap is anarcho-commie bullshit anyway.
Yes.

I'd rather have VD's newsposts, interviews, round tables, and insights than a group of lulzers who use this place as their 4chan.

spacemoose

Erudite
nedrah said:
. That being said, I'm more than surprised that those people that actively took part in hijacking and messing up the site are still allowed to pat themselves on their backs publically.
that's because you LOOOVE authority. can't get away from your roots it seems

anyhow, I certainly hope VD will continue contributing to the site, since he is pretty much the cornerstone of the frontpage.

and yeah, the codex is just starting to get some recognition from developers. it would be really shitty if it all fell apart just as we're on the brink of turning the industry groupthink towards the light

its true that the main appeal of the forums for me is the lulz. but the frontpage is pretty much my compass for RPGs, as I'm sure it is for many others here. losing the (by far) main content contributor would be a disaster not only for the codex, but (at this crucial moment) for the rpg industry as well

doooon't goooo, VD!

Deleted member 7219

Jora said:
Brother None said:
Yes.

I'd rather have VD's newsposts, interviews, round tables, and insights than a group of lulzers who use this place as their 4chan.

I totally agree.

Codex without VD just won't be the same. I'll give it a few days, but if he doesn't come back, then I am outta here. It was VD's newsposts, editorials and reviews that drew me to this site.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cassidy said:
And no, there can be a balance between jokes and CRPGs... I wouldn't like to see Codex without any LULZ about Oblivion or just-released next-gen games.

That is true. You need a certain type of community to have that kind of mechanic going on, though, and I don't think RPGCodex has attracted that kind of people (at least not "exclusively", awkward term in this context). One of the few forums I regularly visit on this connection of tubes is one of those rare places where one thread can be totally inane and the other have a tough and wordy discussion about US ME politics, with the same people posting in both. That spot is pretty elitist, though.

Cassidy said:
Offtopic 2: Hey BN! Any news about Beardude's "expansion pack" for Fallout 2?

I don't rightly know. I know it's been slightly delayed as he finished his patch and tweaked the final bugs out of it, but when he's done with that he's picking it up again. It'll probably still be a while, though.

PS: the wait for someone to post a Youtube video of him singing "Come back, VD" starts
PPS: the line "come back vd" being hilariously multi-interpretable

Sergei Quaid

Novice
I'd rather have those reviews & other newsposts than some random shit in the forums, like someone just said, theres already a place for that

dagorkan

Arbiter
Bunch of goddamn faggots.. and I mean both sides, equally. The "SUPPORT VD" side now makes me as sick. as the other

You know maybe the issue isn't moderation, maybe some of us can think of ourselves as adults (instead of children) and we don't need other adults spending hours of their own free time dealing with whatever the consequences of our 'freedom' are. Ever think of self-moderation??? Why would anyone think it's a good idea to haev another person have a semi-official round the year job moderating what you post?

Yeah of course we need more nazism - the Codex which was revealed yesterday needs a Holocaust to wake the fuck up - but efficient nazism starts at home. Nobody stops you being a nazi, revolutionary or jihadist fundamentalist with your own posts - and you don't need to wait for anyone else to do anything, no polls, no discussions,debates or arguments, no more fucking drama - you can start now and do it all yourself!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom