Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Secret Alpha Protocol Info

Mr Happy

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
The one thing ME's dialogue did right was not having your character say shit like "I have some more questions for you." or "Back to my other questions." That alone made dialogue sound 10 times more natural.

I'm almost positive that there were frequent "back"s as "dialogue" options. I can’t remember if your character said them or not (I think he might have), but if he didn’t, that’s just common sense design, and it’s not like there haven’t been other games that avoided this (I am pretty sure Prelude to Darkness did, of the top of my head). There’s nothing about a “pick your answer” system (anything from Fallout to Mass Effect) that forces a designer to do any “I have more questions” options that actually register as dialogue. Either way, to me, ME’s dialogue didn’t feel any more natural than any other dialogue system because of whatever it did in this area.

Jaime said:
Again, the guys working on this have a good track record. Why is everybody who points this out accused of cocksucking?

If that’s directed at me, I didn’t say that anywhere. Judging by the one game of theirs I’ve played (kotor 2), I’d sort of agree about their record, and I think this game will be better than it would have been if Bioware were developing it. But I try not to judge games by track records. As a big fan of Daggerfall, the lesson has been well learned for me. From the information on this game I’ve seen, it neither looks like something I would buy and spend time on nor a “new wave of RPG for the future.”

amorax said:
No, I just can't stand it when a bunch of self-righteous losers hate on a game that's looking as though it's shaping up quite nicely for incredibly trivial reasons.

Incredibly trivial? Dialog and the player's controlover it to shape the personality of the character is trivial? In an RPG? What the....

and because you're 'hardcore', you can never be wrong?

Where the hell did I say that?

And also, I do realise that gaming has been dumbed-down lately. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Uhhhh....yes it is. When things go almost completely ass backwards with little hope of shifting to the right direction it's most certainly a bad thing.

It's just making games more easily accessible for new-comers. What's wrong with that?

By very definition, dumbing down is needless, wasteful, gross oversimplification. That isn't required to attract newcomers. Hell, I would venture a guess that it isn't simplified mechanics that attract new customers as much as the huge social and societal paradigm shift as far as modern culture's attitude towards video games were. Liking video games used to be like being a gay guy in the 80s; a one way ticket to social pariahdom, but now is a mostly accepted thing. Like all mediums of art, society hates it, then slowly assimilates it. It just so happens that idiot design committees see a correlation between dumbing down and game sales, automatically feel this correlation implies causation against all scientific method, and forget the huge lurking variables, especially the aforementioned one.

And besides, it's not like there were that many 'true RPGs' in the first place.

Perhaps because so few ever get past "dungeon crawler", "hack and slash", or "barely interactive jap shitfest" due to the wonders of dumbing down.

Heck, the very first RPG's were more dungeon crawlers than anything.

And thankfully they got better. Imagine if dumbing down had gone on then instead of advancement. Not pretty.

What? I never said I didn't like video-games from 90's. Nice straw-man there pal, but you're going to have to try a little harder I'm afraid.

Way to misinterpret and attribute way too much damn creativity to me. I wasn't thinking anything special, the 90s remark was purely coincidental, and all I was trying to impart was the simple fact your insult sucked ass.

Excuse me? I was showing how incredibly and unrealistically pessimistic you people are. Now how you're so 'real' and 'down-to-earth'.

You said something about bitching, moaning, and doing nothing like it was an aberration. I said welcome to Earth as that's the primary pastime of everyone here.

Alright, I take it back. I don't come to the codex because I expect a fair and unbiased opinion. I come here because, despite a lot of exaggeration and bias, the codex does provide a different perspective. though not necessarily an accurate one. And it can be fun to read at times too.

Fair enough.

The idea of what defines an RPG has shifted rapidly over time, so just because they say it's 'a role-playing game first and foremost', doesn't necessarily mean it's your kind of role-playing game.

Oh great.....this bullshit. Anywho, let's assume I agree partially with your statement, that the definition shifts over time. Even so, wouldn't games like Fallout, Arcanum, Torment, etc. have shifted the definition over that way and more to our view? Because "modern" games are the ones digging back into the past. Oblivion is a neutered roguelike, Mass Effect is a shinier, yet less developed Shock/Baldur's Gate hybrid.

I really hope you aren't arguing the "majority opinion makes right" case though.

Also, why does one action-RPG having a good dialogue tree render my previous statement invalid?

Sets a precedent. It showed that it is possible, so we as consumers should hold companies to make the best product they can. Basically there's no longer the "It's an action RPG" excuse.

You didn't actually answer anything here and instead told me to 'just read the thread'. Well as a matter of fact, I have, and it mostly consists of people bashing the game for no good reason.

Then you didn't read it enough.

I mean, you haven't even seen any dialogue in the game yet.

Check the dialogue example with a "Scarlet Lake" character in the scans. You can find them either in my second post in this thread or further in when someone decided to link them outright mention them. Again, actually read the thread.

How can you be making judgements like the ones above already?

While we don't have the script, we know the system for the most part, and we can easily see that it holds back progress and inhibits player influence in speaking with NPCs.

I for one am basing my current opinion of this game of Obsidian's record, which IMO, is quite good.

KOTOR 2, a mediocre game saved by good writing.

Neverwinter Nights 2, a shitacular game with terrible cliche plot and characters.

Mask of the Betrayer, good game with loads of choices and consequences, good writing, and a non-cliched setting.

And now we hear some rather disconcerting hype that could have just as easily been out of Bethesda's or Bioware's hype playbooks. I don't know what to think. Obsidian is no Troika,that's for sure.

And how exactly do you know it's 'all bullshit and illusory C&C a la KOTOR' eh?

I'm just saying it could go either way and assuming, "just because it's Obsidian it will be good" is foolhardy.

Way to prove the very point you were arguing against, genius.

Que? Was? What?

That was just an expression. I didn't actually mean games can't use mechanics from the 1990's, just that RPGs shouldn't stick to mechanics that are both outdated and unneeded.

Dialogue trees and character interaction that the player has control over is outdated and uneeded whereas cutscenes are cutting edge? The fuck are you on?

Just because a game doesn't use a 'pick-an-answer' style dialogue system doens't mean it's bad.

Of course not, but doing something clearly inferior does mean it is bad.

In fact, I think you should be applauding Obsidian for daring to try something new in a market that ruthlessly punishes games that stray from the norm.

By dumbing down Mass Effect's dialogue wheel and making a game almost a clone of it they are doing something new? The hell?

denizsi

Arcane
I applaud you Edward_R_Murrow, for your efforts and patience in tolerating and arguing with a dumbfuck. Sadly for myself, I'm not that tolerant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom