Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Secret Alpha Protocol Info

MetalCraze

Arcane
don't forget that the inspiration for dialogues was taken from Mass Effect and Fahrenheit. it will be like "guess what I'm gonna say now" - only even worse.
but Obsidian really act like retards there - mentioning fallout3, oblivion and ME as great children of the evolution.

Lestat said:
Jesus, no need to be that dramatic. From what we know, AP isn't any dumber than, say, Bloodlines.
if only you were right... but things Obsidian officially says really make me worry.
and also it won't have dialogue trees. dialogues were a really strong part of VtmB with all those skill checks.
here it will be worse.

Lumpy

Arcane
Andhaira said:
Stop spamming.

Also, this is shaping up to be the buggiest obsidian game yet!
This is probably your best post yet.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
"-Dialog trees are gone. It uses a "stance system" in order to maintain "cinematic flow". From the description, it seems as though players pick one of three stances, one for each J.B., a suave/smooth one, a cool professional one, and a brash/EXTREME collar-grabbing one. They say that someone who wants a Bond alike can just set it to suave and set the controller down. Apparently it can be changed midway through, but operates on a timer, "to maintain the flow of a real conversation". "

Oh.. goddamit. D:

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
skyway said:
it won't have dialogue trees.
Dialogue trees are in. The article says that you can change your tone after the conversation started, which can yield completely different results. Even replacing spoken lines with smilies makes sense, if you consider that conversations aren't "turn-based" and you may not have enough time to thoroughly read through the dialogue options you have. I still don't understand what the hell was wrong with the traditional approach to dialogue, but I wouldn't mind seeing something new every now and then, just for variety's sake.

EDIT: Forgot to type a part of a sentence. Weird.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hopefully some of it is just PR bullshit.
Aside from the fact that the dialog system indeed sounds like crap, the game gives some promise that it may be an interesting action/adventure/rpg hybrid.

Skyway please continue bitching and moaning , by all means. :)

Zomg

Arbiter
The structure will obviously be similar to dialog trees, but there will be lots of design imperatives that aren't there with trees. For example, they will have to make every conversation break down into the same three global tones, and every tone will have to "solve" the conversation satisfactorily (if not optimally) if you choose the same one at every node. So, even if you're on your knees with a gun to your head, being a belligerent jerk still has to keep the game moving forward, not cause a loss - that kind of thing. As we complained about before Mass Effect, you also don't know what the character is going to say before it's been said as in traditional dialog trees.

This is clearly one of those things where they're trying to reach an audience that isn't me, so I don't feel much need to be enthused.

denizsi

Arcane
An aged Adam Sandler?

I welcome the new setting, but the dialogue and limiting the game to "3 approaches" sounds fucked up to me. Railroaded interaction where you can only choose your wagon. Why should a player not be able make different choices within a certain attitude, than having to choose something that's both an attitude and a different choice? Also, I don't if Mass Effects had a similar thing but the "cool down" thing sounds like a direct rip off from F3 VATS, and the way criticals seem to work sounds just as lame.

Let's play "predict the skill set"!

- Speech
- Observation? (based on some of the information in the magazine, having to do with hearing, locating enemies and what not. May also be used for skill checks in dialogue, IF there will ever be options with skill checks)
- Stealth (though I'm not sure what differences 10 levels of stealth could provide, so maybe it would be something like Athletics to govern all bodily control, slow and fast)
- Medicine (first aid, poison etc.)
- Electronics (all kinds of gadgets)
- Mechanics (lockpicking, traps, repair, etc.)
- Melee (unarmed and melee weapons)
- Small Guns (anything up to assault weapons)
- Big Guns (anything up from and including assault weapons)
- Explosives (it doesn't sound right though )

Anyway, if making games as dumbed down as it gets so that they can also make more niche games like MotB and whatnot, then more power to them.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Fuck ya all. I'm glad Obsidian is going towards an action orientated RPG that has a fluent dialog system. I don't have the patience for another dipshit Witcher click-fest. These aren't the 90's anymore. Move along!

MetalCraze

Arcane
yes I just hope this two new console games will bring them enough money to make a really good new oldschool rpg and not get bought by the likes of EA.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
While this game sounds... not exactly up my alley despite some Deus Ex-vibes, I'm glad that Obsidian chooses survival.

crakkie

Arcane
skyway said:
yes I just hope this two new console games will bring them enough money to make a really good new oldschool rpg and not get bought by the likes of EA.
Way back in once upon a time time, the suggestion that Interplay could save BIS by publishing Dark Alliance and Fallout:BoS on the XBox was met with threats of physical violence. Times they are a-changin, apparently.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Locue said:
While this game sounds... not exactly up my alley despite some Deus Ex-vibes, I'm glad that Obsidian chooses survival.

this is good of course and I really hope Obsidian won't forget that there is a crowd that wants something serious and not another shooter-type game. but right now I rather don't recognize them.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Ander Vinz said:
Locue said:
I'm glad that Obsidian chooses survival.
bravo!

So you follow Interplay's guide. Buy our crappy products so that someday (possibly never) you can play a good rpg. But of course Interplay was "evil" while Obsidian is not. You really are fags.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Morgoth said:
Fuck ya all. I'm glad Obsidian is going towards an action orientated RPG that has a fluent dialog system. I don't have the patience for another dipshit Witcher click-fest. These aren't the 90's anymore. Move along!

This man is for real ?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The Feral Kid said:
Ander Vinz said:
Locue said:
I'm glad that Obsidian chooses survival.
bravo!

So you follow Interplay's guide. Buy our crappy products so that someday (possibly never) you can play a good rpg. But of course Interplay was "evil" while Obsidian is not. You really are fags.
Are you for real? Peter Christ Parker!

obediah

Erudite
Zomg said:
I dunno about dumbing down, but I like dialog trees, and Obsidian was good at them.

This is awsome! By cutting trees they save tons of resources on writing and managing the logic of the branching. They can use the money to buy more bloom and bipplemapping.

MetalCraze

Arcane
or sweaty Keanu Reeves

ap_01556.jpg

Starwars

Arcane
After checking out the scans here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... t341152257

I must say that I'm a bit more optimistic. I'm still not particularly excited about it being an action-RPG, but there a few points that sound really nice.
I kinda hope it won't be to comical though. While there will certainly be a lot of humor in this game, I hope it won't go overboard to the point where I can't take the story seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom