Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhouvania? Really?

Black Cat

Magister
[Closet Wapanese Touhoutard Doujin Fangirl Mode]

touhouvania1.png

How come this exist and i never knew until now? I'm talking about Koumajou Densetsu Scarlet Symphony. This is the most wonderful and amazing and cool thing since, like, i don't know. Something totally wonderful and amazing and cool and rad and etc, etc, etc.

Production values seem to be pretty high for a doujin game. Reimu's animation is really detailed and cool and smooth, and the character redesigns are totally incredible, with Reimu and Remilia and Sakuya being the highlights. Bloody hell, they even managed to make China look cool, and that's just hysterical.

I mean, look at this shit:

touhouvania2.jpg

touhouvania3.jpg

touhouvania4.jpg

This is best thing bloody ever. I'm so totally not sleeping tonight. Must download super fasty fast. Must... Download... Nao... :cry:

[/Closet Wapanese Touhoutard Doujin Fangirl Mode]

Heartwarden

Educated
I can't tell what's going on.

How old is Touhou / when did it suddenly become popular. I've never heard of it before this year but everybody else seems to have. Except Volourn.

Black Cat

Magister
"How old is Touhou / when did it suddenly become popular."

The Highly Responsive To Prayers came out in 1996, but the games started getting around in the west with The Embodiment Of Scarlet Devil, which came out in 2002. I have been playing Touhou games and fangames since my ex introduced me to them, but i usually don't tell because while i love the games and the characters i totally hate most of the fandumb, duh. They are repugnant little creeps, ewww.

"I can't tell what's going on."

Touhou + Castlevania = OMG FULL OF WIN!!!!!11!1one

Heartwarden

Educated
:?:

The Castlevania part sounds coo' but everything else makes me run and scream away. Scream and run away.

r

Google tells me that I am too tired to comprehend anything jap related but my friend will probably gush all giddy so ty cat

Black Cat

Magister
Heh. With all the exitement i forgot to mention that since Patch 1.03 the game is oficially translated into both English and French, so i do it now so the other Closet Touhoutards in Fair Codexia can be happy and play it too, yay.

Cassidy

Arcane
The only Jap-themed game I'd really enjoy would be a Kamikaze Flight Simulator. Specially if it comes with a Sandnigger Bonus Pack.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Olds. I remember reading about it roughly half a year ago. Still haven't checked it out, though, because there's no English version yet, as far as I know. Will wait for a fan translation.

Black Cat

Magister
@ KalosKagathos

Learn2read, faggit.

"With all the exitement i forgot to mention that since Patch 1.03 the game is oficially translated into both English and French."

:decline: of Teh Kalos.

bloodyduh.jpg

:roll: Well, okay, more like translated into Epic Engrish and it's French counterpart, whose name i just kind of forgot, but anyway...

It is hell to bloody install it and configure it, though, so when you decide to do it send me a PM or something if you get frustrated too easily when trying to troubleshoot an user unfriendly patch process in japanese. I don't know how and i don't know why but half the files the patcher tries to patch have diferent names in the install folder than the ones programed into the patcher, so you kind of need to run the patcher, watch where the process breaks, write down the name, look for something similarly named, rename, pray, run the patcher again. If it continues, watch for the next break in the process and repeat. It's fun!

@ Gerrard

Pettan, pettan, tsurupettan...

Touhou Hijack LOL. :roll:

Vagiel

Augur
Honestly i can not stand the little flying witches in tohou games. But i have to acknowledge that it has amazing music. Does it also carry on on this game? Ah if only they could drop the girls add some actual space ships and some Trippe enemies it would be heaven.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Vagiel

Judge the soundtrack by yourself: Scarlet Tears; It Is Beautiful, It Comes, The Castellan of Crimson; Clock Tower; Kirisome No Amnesia, Ex Violin Version; Waltz of the Scarlet Devil; and just follow the links from those to find more. Myself, i am kind of still divided about the soundtrack and am waiting to see how it works with the scenes before making up my mind. It's not, like, ZUN, and i kind of recognize remixed Castlevania melodies here and there in many of the songs. It's not, like, bad at all and there are some really good songs but after a couple of years of listening the same songs remixed over and over i kind of can't help but go That's no septette for a dead princess, pal and the like, more so because The Embodiment Of Scarlet Devil was the first Touhou game i actually won, as in making a one credit clear by the skin of my teeth (Geez, i still have that screenshot around somewhere!), so i kind of love the little character songs since it was either learning to love them or go insane after listening to them a couple hundred times each day.

And on the old topic of Cute Witches vs Manly Mecha, well, it's Touhou, and it's a Cute 'Em Up through and through, and a pretty zany one at that. At least rest knowing it is not that bad when compared to some other Cute 'Em Ups like Trouble Witches or Arcanum Echo that every now and then result in a sugar overdose even for me. But Cute 'Em Ups are actually the minority in the genre, so if you want that kind of gameplay without cute witches and little fairies of mass destruction and totally out there dialogue just look up Bullet Hell or Danmaku on jewtube and something will come up.

Back at getting my ass kicked by Cirno now. That's really a new low.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey a game with flying witches, no wonder BC is all NYA about it.

But atrocious anime art is atrocious.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Alexandros

A japanese indie game. Most are fangames but there are also original settings appearing every now and then. Touhou is one of those original ones, and it is pretty unique in that it spawned a veritable horde of fangames, including the one this thread is about, doujin works, including a pretty cool fanmade anime OVA series, and half the internet memes. Most doujin works are sold at comic and anime conventions. Touhou has it's own convention. It's kind of amazing how a japanese weirdo with a love of beer and a pretty weird personality spawned all that by itself.

@ Everything

I'm lulling you all into a false sense of security. Then it's baring my kawaii claw thingies and NYAing you all to hell. And stuffies.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Played it for a bit, and meh. The game can't decide whether it's a platformer or a shoot 'em up. What's the point of bottomless pits when you can fly?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played that Touhou fighting game (chain or something) is this better? Because that one sucked. And of course did play Touhou the curtain shooters but they are WAY too hard for my casual self, beating it on normal is the high end of my abilities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom