Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhouvania? Really?

Black Cat

Magister
@ KalosKagathos

That's quite common in all of Touhou's fangames, for obvious reasons. The worst offenders of indecisive genre disorder must be the Tasogare Frontier's fighting games, though, one of the most infamous examples being this fight. The last spellcard, in particular, is completely ridiculous for a fighting game, but it's kind of amazing and awesome all the same.

@ Malakal

Mystical Chain? Yes, that one's kind of fail, though it has a couple of good and creative spellcards when you have to fight against two girls at the same time, and having the three witches teaming up is, like, totally awesome. As for the pure bullet hell ones, practice and practice and practice is all there is to it other than raw talent. Bullet hell is a harsh hobby but kind of super rewarding when you finally manage to discover the trick to totally own a spellcard that destroyed all your playthroughs until then.

Vagiel

Augur
Thanks for the links i like the music in this a lot.

Let me make my self clear about the cute em up as you called them, it is not that i utterly loathe them its just that i don't find them appropriette . I actually aim for a trance experience with this genre where my mind is empty and all that remains is a screen full of bulets and a good soundtrack. It is just that little girls in broom sticks make me loose the mood.

And here comes my selfish question (i am asking about a japanese game at codex times have changed) Can you recommend any good shout em up with good music and more abstract feel to it? It doesnt have to be mecha just strange enough to fit the bill. To help i liked genetos a lot.

deuxhero

Arcane
Is it classic style "can't change jump direction in mid air" (unless you are playing as Grant in III) impossible platforming or post Symphony of the Night style Metroidvania.

I might check it out if it's the second (and original, not Pokemon hack or something) even though I know nothing about the series (I'm only able to recognize Suika and Wriggle).

I think Black Cat is the last person here I would describe as a "Closet Wapanese Touhoutard Doujin Fan".

Also the only link in the main post is to a youtube video.

Black Cat said:
@ Gerrard

Pettan, pettan, tsurupettan...

Touhou Hijack LOL. :roll:

As if I didn't have the song stuck in my head already. Who's the girl rubbing chests with Suika at the start anyways?

Black Cat

Magister
@ Vagiel

Sorry, i totally misunderstood the first time. Try Samidare (Stage 1; Stage 2) and RefRain (Stage 1). They are made by the same people, who were originally in Amusement Makers, the ones who were doing the Seihou series. Samidare is really interesting in that you only have the basic shot and a shield that you can only raise for a second or two before needing to recharge it. The shield nulls enemy attacks and absorbs enemy bullets to supercharge your own shot, so it can get really weird at times with you suicide diving into crazy bullet streams to try and supercharge your shot long enough to finish the boss before your shield goes off and you go boom. RefRain is still just a demo, and it's pretty easy to finish the three stages in the trial. You have two diferent ships, and each have a normal mode, focus mode, and a four step special attack chain that eats charges you get by killing enemies and grazing bullets.

Then you also have the TWINS saga with Twilight Insanity, Twilight Refrain, and Alternative Sphere. That's another of my favorite Shoot 'Em Up series, and what little i can understand of the plotlines is even weirder than Touhou with elemental sorcerers and flying nuns fighting in a cyberpunk world against god knows what, usually involving lots of surreality, crazy nanites, evil internets, and geometric shapes of mass destruction in cyberspace. They also have their own set of unique rules, like there being diferent bosses and paths and levels depending on how you play, a rank system that changes dificulty according to how much you suck and makes super frustrating trying to train with the bosses hardest patterns, and what choices you pick and there being no lives after the first one: You just have your Lifeline/Spirit energy that act as bombs. When you use one it is way cheaper than when you are hit and the bomb is auto-casted, but if you are hit and you do not have enought spirit energy to auto-cast is game over. And they also have pretty cool songs, like Gun's Heart and Impossible Mission, and Turning Point.

Oh, and the Black Cat that made those videos is a diferent one. I really need a more original nickname. :(

And finally you have the king of surreal zen Shoot 'Em Ups: Hellsinker. It is amazing? Yes, it is. It is weird? Totally. It has lots of diferent paths and bonus stuff. It is crazy, insany, and stupidly dificult? Aha. It has many diferent characters, each with diferent configurations and each playing nothing like the next one. Wonderful music, most epic feeling ever, and so much weird i don't know where to start. There is no way to describe Hellsinker, you just have to see it for yourself: The Apostles of Seed, The Shrine of Farewell, The Glitched Kareidoscope, and The Way of All Flesh. Love it, cry epic tears, etc. Very amazing, very evil.

That should have you entertained for a while, but still... We cannot mention Hellsinker without this video being linked to. Now it is done. The circle is closed, etc.

@ deuxhero

"Is it classic style "can't change jump direction in mid air" (unless you are playing as Grant in III) impossible platforming or post Symphony of the Night style Metroidvania."

You can both change directions in mid jump and, by pressing jump again, start flying. The boss battles seems to involve a lot of flying around to evade bullet barrages that would be easy in a Shoot 'Em Up but here are simply diabolical and a lot of mid air brawling along with the jumping. If you get hit while flying, though, you can't start flying again until you land and take off again, so those evil bottomless pits are as evil as always.

"Also the only link in the main post is to a youtube video."

The youtube video is the official trailer so you guys can see the art and the gameplay and stuff. If you want the links just send me a PM, i thought we can't post torrents and the like in the open (yet...).

"Who's the girl rubbing chests with Suika at the start anyways?"

That's Tewi Inaba, Eientei's other magical rabbit.

"I think Black Cat is the last person here I would describe as a "Closet Wapanese Touhoutard Doujin Fan"."

This...

animemotivator.jpg

... is exactly how you just made me feel like. I hope you are happy, you big meanie you. I always thought i was pretty subtle about it. :cry:

deuxhero

Arcane
The issue there is the "normal" (and "shunning")... Besides, "normal" people suck, with their normal IQ and normal appearance.

Vagiel

Augur
Thank for the recommendations i think you got exactly what i meant. samidare and refrain both look and sound great. Unfortunately i have a problem with hellsinker since it refuses to start.

Anyway this is the second time you give sound advice on games the first being saya no uta on another thread which i enjoyed a lot. Thanks again Kittie.

Black Cat

Magister
It's good to visit LuckyTouhouCodex in the mornings. :P

@ Clockwork Knight

"She's the one speaking, I think."

Yes, the scene is from viewpoint of Konata, Hiyori, and Patricia, but given the image's perspective it's kind of easy to think it's Yutaka, Minami, and Yui. That wouldn't make any sense, thought.

@ Raghar

"That policewoman isn't normal either."

But she's totally awesome all the same.

"Do you mean Touhou XII has graphics? That's interesting."

Marisa actually looks pretty now, and Reimu will even pass for a non zombified human being if you don't look too hard. Even Sanae is kind of well drawn, though with her the combination of pose and expresions is, like, kind of weird. And the U.F.Os are totally adorable.

The new girls, meanwhile... It may just be a case of really bad luck being located after both Mountain of Faith and Subterranean Animism, both having some really cool newcomers, but all of Undefined Fantastic Object's newcomers are kind of really meh in design and spellcards, other than maybe the BroFist girl.

@ Vagiel

What problem do you have with Hellsinker? Do you have the that Applocale thing for the contextual menu things installed? I don't remember if Hellsinker needs that, but for those games it is usually good to have it at hand.

In case you haven't found it yet click here for the RefRain demo.

And i'm glad you liked Saya No Uta, it's a very unique and weird little thing if you can stomach the darker parts and the really sick perv scenes.

Vagiel

Augur
I tried applocal and changing to japanese regional but when i run the game i get a small grey window without anything further happening, strange because i can run other japanese applications.

Anyways about saya no uta i really thing it is one of the best games to capture lovecrafts mood of gradually descending into madness and the characters where very interesting. I could still live with an adult saya but i am gradually learning to accept Japanese fixation with youth.

Black Cat

Magister
That's weird, i never had any problem with it. Try to download it again from a diferent source and if you still have problems i'll upload one of mine so you try one i know works.

Edity Edit: I just reinstalled it on another folder to check from a clean install and the first time you run it it seems it may kind of display a grey window in between the config window and the name input so try just letting it run for a while, too.

anomie

Scholar
guys lets share each other's myanimelist kyaaaa~~~~~ XD XD XD XD anime!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So this is like a japanese indie game? Weeaboo AoD?

The only jap-game I've played being Sengoku Rance and since I don't like platformers or beat 'em ups, I would not enjoy this at all?

Vagiel

Augur
I just tried in my netbook it it works there so there is no need to trouble you. Thanks anyway and ref rain does have great music on the second stage and up.

Anyway shout em ups seem to be one of the few true gaming experiences that does not base it self on make believe situations and other mediums such as literature and cinema. And also one of the few genres that "immersion" is forced upon the player by the game itself rather than be required from him.

Anyone has any idea bout what else can feel this criteria?

Black Cat

Magister
@ GarfunkeL

More or less. If you don't like platformers, beat 'em ups with little girls of mass destruction, or crazy japanese shoot 'em ups that fill the screen with bullets and then point at you and laugh while you cry epic tears of frustration there's nothing in this thread for you. :(

The japanese actually make loads of indie role playing games, visual novels, strategy games, as well as hybrids of all those three genres and a bunch more, but most of those are almost never translated into civilized languages. If you know the barest japanese, though, reading the doujin release lists after each new Comiket and the like is geek heaven.

laclongquan

Arcane
You tell them, girl! You tell them!

Romance of Three Kingdoms, the massive Turnbase Strategy series, that's released in PS2 in English? Heh! The moonspeak version, ie the type release in Chinese and Jap, is hugely better. And it's in PC. Fact is, PS2 version is dumbed down for consoletard.

Touhou? Fate Stay Night? Tsukihime Lunar Legend Chronicles? They are so beautiful in language, story, and characters you could cry. yet they are in moonspeak first. Only after huge efforts of fan did they get out in English.

There's huge incentives to learn Jap. It's a great pity am I a lazyass.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Can't install. Microsoft is being a total cunt about installing language support for japanese. Disk is unavailable, only downloads and torrents I've found so far has been useless.

Why the fuck would they care so much about something like this to scour the web of all available downloads, as seems to be the case?

I should just torrent a fucking rip of the install disk.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The language setting prompts for the CD to install the language pack from. You'd think the language pack would just be a simple download from MS in case you don't have the disk handy, but nope. Furthermore, you'd think that since M$ decided to be dicks about it you could just find a torrent or download of the required files somewhere else. Nope.

Doesn't matter, win xp home.iso is 90% downloaded. Think I'll seed that one for a week or two to return the favour.

deuxhero

Arcane
anomie said:
Yeah, except that everything is fanservice retard bullshit now. I actually blame Lucky Star. Can't believe I watched that piece of shit

And the fact that the entire first episode is the cast talking about food wasn't enough to tell you to stay away? Seems like your own fault.

DamnedRegistrations said:
The language setting prompts for the CD to install the language pack from. You'd think the language pack would just be a simple download from MS in case you don't have the disk handy, but nope. Furthermore, you'd think that since M$ decided to be dicks about it you could just find a torrent or download of the required files somewhere else. Nope.

Oh right, I could never figure out how to stop word from looking for them every time I lock the computer while using it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom