Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima 6 Remake in U7/Exult Engine

Data4

Arcane
Bah. I have never, and probably won't ever be able to play a game with that tilted overhead perspective. Sucks, too... I'm sure I'm missing out on some great gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2013/02/the-ultima-6-remake-three-companions/

The Ultima 6 Remake: Three Companions!
BY WTF DRAGON · FEBRUARY 5, 2013

The Ultima 6 Remake, an Exult-based effort to re-create and expand upon the story of Ultima 6, has a very talented artist named Crowley working on its graphics. And toward the end of 2012, he posted a couple more images of gump artwork that he has crafted for the project.

Here’s the first, the three companions:

Triotest_zps8c7f8119.png

And here’s the second, which is actually a “before and after” comparison of some additional edits he made to Shamino’s artwork, based on feedback from other Exult forum regulars.

ShamComp1_zps24c3535b.png

Staggeringly good work, as always!

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is time when I'm considering remaking Ultima IX with the Bob White plot using an engine similar to U5, then I remember everybody hates me in the Ultima community and I just go to YouJizz instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/?p=380

Seeking a present update. Music and first demo soon!
Posted by Zygon Dragon on 7th March 2013 in Updates

Hello everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates lately, but rest assured, we’re still alive and kicking. First of all, we’d like to welcome 2 new people to the team, Archangel and Natsu. Archangel has come on board to tackle the music, using his musical talents to update and remaster all of the tracks in U6. Currently, Archangel has finished the U6 Forest Theme and the gargoyle intro theme and they sound fantastic. The gargoyle intro theme sounds mysterious and adds the sense of danger in an unknown land which fits the situation perfectly. The U6 Forest theme (My favorite track in the game, by the way) adds to the mystique of exploring the dense forests and no longer sounds repetitive. I am looking forward to Archangel working his magic on the other tracks as well. Additionally, he has offered several in-game book submissions that are well written that will be found upon the various bookshelves of Britannia. Below the update you will find the updated U6 Forest Theme and the Gargoyle theme for your listening pleasure. Also, be sure to check out his other work on the links to his other sites below.

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Archangel/27556471452
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jacobiel

Natsu has offered his programming skills to provide some additional help with the coding, and possibly on trying to finish the portraits. He is also in the planning stages of something that would greatly enhance the U6 mod. I can’t give out any details as of right now because he is trying to get accustomed to the ins and outs of the Exult engine and what it is capable of, but the idea itself is exciting and something that hasn’t been done with the Exult engine before.

Crowley has been working on new sprites for the mod, such as a blonde Shamino which suits his U6 portrait better. Also, he provided us with magic locked chests. In the works are several other visual upgrades for npcs such as Blaine, Seggallion, and the gypsies such as Taynith. Sythifuge has been putting the finishing touches on the grave sprite for us, and from what I’ve seen of it so far it looks pretty well done. This grave shape will function like his – when you use a shovel to dig up the graves, the ‘lid’ (the grave mound) will be removed, revealing the corpse/empty grave below, and leaving a pile of dirt next to it. I can’t wait to put it in game and try it out.

Map work progress on the mod has been steady even though there have been no site updates lately. Mostly I have been putting the finishing touches on the mainland. All cities, towns, shrines, are complete. Only Paws remains needing npc conversations, and some of the wanderers such as the gypsies and so on.

I have also been experimenting with a few new interaction features that are currently working on a test mod and will be inserted into the U6 mod soon. One new feature is that you can now create campfires! It works similar to how campfires worked in UO; first you double click a dagger then target a tree, which creates “kindling” (currently, using the ‘branch’ imported from SI). Double clicking the branch on the ground will start a fire which starts small and grows. After about 2 hours or so in-game, the fire starts to dwindle down, until it goes to hot coals (frame 0 of campfire). Eventually, it turns into a scorchmark then disappears once you’re off-screen.

Another new feature I have been experimenting with is being able to cook raw meat on frying pans after getting the meat from deer, cows, etc. On my test mod, I imported the ‘raw wolf meat’ shape from SI (temporary for now) and made 4 or 5 separate shapes for each type of meat. For example, one shape is “raw beef” which takes the place of the cooked beef that is normally found on the corpses of cows, and one shape for ‘raw venison’ which takes the place of the meat on the deer, and so on. Double clicking the meat will bring up a target, which you target on a frying pan. It checks to see if that frying pan is on a campfire, if not, you’ll be prompted to move it closer to the fire. Once you are cooking the meat, it plays the sizzling sound effect, then you have a 1/5 chance of failing to cook it. If the cooking fails, it is deleted and your companions might nag you that you left it on too long or something. If success, it changes the raw meat to the corresponding cooked meat. Eventually, I would like to implement the U6 style camping where the party would sleep themselves and one would stand watch to wake the party in the event of a random monster ambush.

In our next update, there WILL be a demo! We’ve received well above the amount I asked for in book submissions and still welcome more. Most are put in the game but I’m still working on inserting the others. The demo will be of the Trinsic area, as it received the most votes on our website poll. Within this area will be the city of Trinsic, some shipwrecks, the gypsies (with scripted Wanda interactions…) and the Shrine of Honor which can be freed from the gargoyles. All other buildings and places won’t be available, as to concentrate everyone’s attention to the Trinsic area alone. In addition to the Trinsic area NPC’s, I will probably throw in a few NPCs that will be available to talk to such as Gwenno, and Sinjen from Yew to show off some new sprites from Crowley.

Hopefully we’ll have the next update sooner than later! –agentorangeguy

Music:
Archangel – Ultima VI Forest Theme – 192kb
Archangel – Ultima VI Introduction – 192kb

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm not sure if I want nuvie or this more. I guess nuvi will probably be out in stable state long before this. I just can't stomach the interface of U6 very much. :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well eventually they will both be finished. And then you can play it OLD SCHOOL (but less annoying) NUVIE, or the Exult one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

Demo is in testing phases, needs help with title screen: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/?p=422

Pushme Pullyu and demo update
Posted by Zygon Dragon on 23rd September 2013 in Updates

Another quick update to show we’re still alive and kicking! The demo right now is in testing phases, finding a lot of bugs and such that needed to be fixed before any sort of release. The big issue right now is the title screen. You can read the struggle on the Exult forums, and I’m not exactly sure why it isn’t working. I’ve made two title screens, one from the original U6 title graphics and one that I altered the original black gate title screen from. Both title screens show up as either a garbled square, or blank (black screen with menu options). I’m not very literate with any sort of paint programs so the problem might be how I’m creating them, or if I’m even using the correct palette formats or something. So, if anyone out there wants to take a stab at this problem, please do. Maybe someone out there can create a title screen for us that actually shows up like the TFL title did in their mod. If you want to learn the basic stuff, here is the thread on the Exult forum that I have been following: http://exult.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=515022&t=515022

If you can create a working title screen for us, you’ll be credited for it and given our thanks, and a huge hurdle in releasing a demo will be cleared. I have exhausted all options on getting it done myself, I’ve tried everything I can think of. Hopefully, someone out there knows what they are doing and can help out. In other news, here is a pic of new shape created of Pushme Pullyu by a contributor who wished to remain anonymous:

– Agentorangeguy

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/?p=427

My new years resolution is….holy crap it’s August!
Posted by Zygon Dragon on 11th August 2014 in Updates

Sorry for the long delay in updating! While the title screen situation has held up things a little, we’ve still been doing some work on the project. Crowley has been hard at work with new shapes, with some new shapes for Sentri and Katrina, as well as one for Jaana in the works. Other graphical upgrades to things we needed such as the gears have been included also. Aside from doing some map work and coding here and there, I have also attempted to work on the U6 Balloon. Aside from an incredibly clunky last ditch solution, I’ve been working on how to create it as a barge, kind of like the magic carpet in U7. I actually have one somewhat functional, albiet a few eyesores dealing with wrong looking graphics while turned but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem for one of our new team recruits who has been helping me with new graphics for the balloon itself. Also, we’ve got someone to help with coding and writing for a subplot that I think hardcore and purist fans of U5 will enjoy. When I hear from the new recruits I’ll officially add them to the team in a new update.

So I once again apologize for the lack of updates, as you know real life crap gets in the way but I’ve been working on it here and there so it never has gone stagnant behind the scenes. Hopefully, the title screen problem will be fixed and we can resume with the demo.

-agentorangeguy

Katrina Grpahics:

Sentri Graphics:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

Can't believe this is still alive: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/?p=466

Update on the project!!
Posted by Zygon Dragon on 4th October 2016 in Updates

It’s been a while since we’ve updated things here! Rest assured, work on the mod has picked up quite a bit as of late. I’ve been working on getting an idea of where we’re at in the mod via spreadsheet and what needs to be done, fixed, added, and so on. It’s been a huge help in figuring out what to do next. For the past few days I’ve been doing map work, finishing both the Britain sewers and Buccaneer’s Cave areas since they both connect. The overworld seems to be near complete, just needing some fine tuning and cleaning up here and there. NPCs in the overworld are mostly done, with a handful still needing to be done and many needing some fine tuning. Crowley is still working hard on the backlog of new sprites and things needed for the mod, and Pegbyter has been working on a sidequest that isn’t crucial to the game, but will shed new light on some things from U5. A hint of what’s to come: Have you ever wanted to get revenge on Chuckles that didn’t involve shooting him with a cannon? Perhaps he’s been hiding something all of these years… something that Lord British wouldn’t find very virtuous…

Sorry for the long time in between updates, but we’ve been working sporadically and are determined to see this to the finish line! We’re still looking for pixel artists who can finish the portraits and make them look nice, so let us know if you’re willing and able!

-AOG

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Still alive! http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/?p=485

2017 Project Update – We’re still alive …
Posted by Zygon Dragon on 4th April 2017 in Updates

Hello everyone, back with a big update! Updates might be few and far between but work is still being done on the mod. I’ve been going back and forth between the usecode stuff and map work. I have finished a few more plot-essential dungeons: Shame (Despise?), Destard, Covetous/Wrong. I’ve fixed/added more of the main npcs conversations such as the hungry pirate you find in Shame and Bonn, the crazy hermit, and Sutek.

Work has started on a brilliant side plot schemed up by Pegbyter, regarding everyone’s favorite jester, Chuckles. It will solve a dangling plot thread from U5, and will have different ways to solve it, like a good Avatar or a very unvirtueous one. Some secret areas have been added that go along with it. Purists can go about the game and not even bother with the side plot or need to visit the areas, but you’ll definitely want to.

In between map work and coding the npcs, I’ve been working on getting the U6 balloon off the ground, so to speak. At the moment it lacks new shapes, but progress has been made. The next dungeon to be worked on will be Sutek’s catacombs, where his crazy experiments splicing things together weren’t limited to animals and monsters…

I have realized recently that while this is has been a huge project for all of us, it actually seems like while we have a lot to do, we’re VERY far along and it doesn’t seem as overwhelming anymore. Plotwise, the first half of the game is almost complete (everything on the Britannian overworld). Most plot critical npcs, dungeons, and map areas are just about finished. The remaining plot essential dungeons to the first half of the game that still need to be created are Captain Hawkins’ grave, Sutek’s catacombs, and Hythloth. That would leave the gargoyle world, gargoyle dungeons/shrines and all gargoyle npcs. Once the main plot can be played, filling in the rest won’t be hard at all. Knowing that the mod isn’t too far off now, things are coming along much easier. Until next time!

-AgentOrangeGuy

Blood and more blood.

Hidden area

Hidden area.

Sutek’s Lab

More cow bells?

Sewers never looks so good.

Shame

Destard

Destard

Don’t wake the sleeping dragon. Destard

Destard

Covetous / Wrong

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess Nuvie is cool if you play U6 for the first time and/or want to experience something close to the original (with a few comfort features). I like the U7 engine much better and playing though 6 to SI in the same engine is probably great and does a lot for continuity. In fact, remake U4 & U5 in the U7 engine as well!

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom