Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If you explore without stealh oddity cant be better wtf...

You didn't understood me.
I don't care at all if oddity system level my char faster or slower than in classic exp, slower even better, that's why I was one of those who said that leveling in oddity system was too fast and that was nerfed.
You said
and you can skip all the barrels and trash piles
- how about I can skip that, but forced to grind rathounds, buttowers and all respawning trash with all doors I can find?
You didn't think about that didn't you?
Oddity system reward for exploring - that's what I appreciate in games above all else, also it's discourage brainless grind and stupid unnatural "lockpick every door for the sake of EXP!".

In my opinion it is a great system, and when used properly is far better then classic exp, but maybe in certain cases it is worse, I can accept such possibility.

Oh, and oddities add a lot of flavour to lore.

The only hand placed items I noticed are oddities and unique purple items. I did notice that some containers are set to produce higher level components. The room with the mindreader near rail crossing consistently gives quality 100+ components. There's another in one of the rooms in Balor's base.

Are you serious sir? Never took there anything with 100 quality, am I looser? )))

Ahh... This is such a great game. I'm already waiting for a sequel. :) What I'd really like to see is the mechanics applied to a roguelike setting where most of the levels and monsters are randomly generated. Amount of items and monsters could be multiplied in subsequent iterations.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also I have a question - what is the highest quality for electronics?
Is it 100, or I can expect to find better plasma core?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Also I have a question - what is the highest quality for electronics?
Is it 100, or I can expect to find better plasma core?
You can find plasma cores of Q higher than 100, I have one with 122 quality. To use this core, I would need 97 electronics, so if you get to 100 electronics, you will be able to use probably nearly the best, or the best cores in game.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Im not finding that the oddity system discourages me from engaging in combat. sometimes i avoid it, but usually i still try to clear most maps of most enemies. people bitching about combat not giving xp or enough of it, or outraged that someone else leveled up faster than them is like being outraged at/slapping your woman during sex because youre mad she came and you didnt yet.
maybe its not all about racing there.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not saying that it discourages me from engaging in combat - I always kill all enemies and clear all maps, but it discourages me from grind exp from repetitious killing rathounds and burrowers (also siphoner's leather is another deal), also didn't feel needs to lockpick every damned door, and thus game is much more enjoyable then usual.

Atchodas

Augur
Dude Respawning rathounds dont give you any exp :D ( all the wildlife that respawns starts giving 4 exp after you outlevel them ) , tho 2 raiders mid game gives you same exp as one oddity which is by far easier to level up with . What i meant is that with classic system you dont need to grind oddities ( actually you dont need to grind anything you just kill stuff that gets in your face and do quests and you get better exp than oddity ) meanwhile with oddity system you will have to farm certain low level mobs and random trash piles and stuff like that , also you need to know where most oddities are like Pop Amole II does but he played this game more than any of us , not saying it is bad system or anything , just its laughable how in general everybody is creaming over oddity system :D meanwhile its new and interesting it is only good for certain builds definitely not all of them . Anyway great thing is that both of the systems are completely viable . What i would like about oddity system that it could have better drop rate for Oddities that comes from animals etc , so you would not need to grind them at all .

Alfons

Prophet
Nothing discourages me from combat because I play combat builds. Engaging in combat is its own reward. The only encounters I want to avoid are the same respawning shit and I would avoid them even if I could gain some exp from it. I agree with Atchodas that rampaging through every junk pile and cabinet gets old quick, especially when you know that that's the only thing you actually don't want to miss.

Atchodas

Augur
Well good thing that "respawning shit" gives 4 exp , also where you guys encounter respawning trash mobs that often? the only place where i had rathounds respawning to me more than 1 time is when i go from SGS to Blaine's shop , and ofc Burrowers in Camp Hathor respawn instantly before you close the hole ( this + combat exp = cake ), other places with respawning wildlife i didnt have to revisit more than once per whole game .
Also every build in Underrail is a combat build imo , some of them just can use stealth to take different approach but still stealth builds own the combat just the approach is different than non stealth build

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Dude, they give exp, I played classic system before oddity was implemented.
Even rathounds can give exp, I don't remember on which level they stop to give exp at all, but before that I should resist temptation to run around and kill them all again. And resisting temptation isn't fun at all.
Besides that, there are burrowers, which is fine source of exp, and there are doors.
And in oddity system I'm not grinding anything, except siphoner's leather (and I can stand it), I just calmly explore and kick asses.
Oddity system is not for builds, it's for players who don't want to be distracted by resisting temptation to do all metagamey stuff like lockpicking every closed doors even if you have a key.

And I play game from very early state, like 2 years now, from times when only GMS compound exist. ) No problem to remember that "Periscope part" is in map with two azuridae and water.
Also have no problem with drop rate from animals, I like to be a little underleveled because game not so hard (maybe because I played it so much).

ST'Ranger

Augur
By the way, what do you think about Locks&Hacking? I know this is a problem with most rpg's out there, but building up these skills a bit too trivial. There is so much content for which you just need these two skills and can't complement them with anything else. On many consoles hacking is not the only way to get through, but since it's used on every other lock, you need it anyway.

Having played through the entirety of available content with several characters not investing in either skill, I can tell you it's not the problem you're imagining. For new players, I have always suggested they take Lockpicking and Hacking as a priority because there is a lot of cool stuff behind locked doors and chests. But having played the game with high investment in both skills, players will know what to expect and will have an idea what they are missing - rather than playing through the game constantly nagged by the thought of what might/could be behind these barriers. On most characters I make these days, I take only Hacking and level Lockpicking to ~15 for the convenience of traversing vents.

...you should never have only Melee as your offensive skills and expect to be fine later in the game...

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting you, but you absolutely can crush combats in this game with only the Melee skill as your offense. It's certainly beneficial to have 40-80 Throwing, but it's not necessary at any stage of the game.

People drop their panties to oddity system , meanwhile it should be used as alternative to sneaky non comabt thieves characters because they can avoid combat , i played classic and skipped all the trash bin scavenging , oddity is not better to any char by default actually it is worse than classic to many builds

Oddity is the better system because it leaves the player to merely enjoy the game as it is without the grinding monkey on their back. Your statement probably refers only to level gain, claiming you can gain more levels faster with classic XP than with oddity. That is exactly the kind of warped nonsense that the oddity system avoids. Playing on the oddity system, you can choose whether or not to engage in combat based on your whims, objectives, or as part of exploring the world. It encourages exploration/scavenging rather than just combat XP hunting. Rather than coming up with clever ways to level your character faster, you can just play the damned game. That is the genius of the oddity system.

Any purely numerical advantages gained from gaming the classic XP grind are ultimately worthless. There are so many oddities floating around in the game that we could probably reach level 29 or 30 with just the content in the game (if it was possible) if we chose to make that our mission. The first 5 or 6 levels are very important to most characters, but after that each level is less and less essential to the character's survival or the player's ability to successfully engage in combat. Taking the classic XP system just so your character will be (theoretically) higher level at some certain point in the game is a perfect example of the game playing the player rather than the proper reversal.

I can hardly believe this topic persists after all this time.

Atchodas

Augur
I played the same build with oddity and classic and i was 2 lvl's lower with oddities , because i didnt knew where to find them all on my first two tries at early stage of the game , yes oddity might be better for you and for other guys who completed EA 20 times , but if someone is playing first time and has no meta knowledge classic will suit you better for sure . Also i hear people talking about grinding oddities way more than i ever had to grind anything with Classic i just explored Underrail without stealth and you cant avoid combat then so i got ton of exp being level 25 before i have cleared whole EA and had only Tchortist left

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
This discussion is dumb/pointless.

By the time you get to the later game your ass'd better be pretty leveled up or you've been doing something wrong. I'm generally so powerful by that point that I'm close to not being challenged enough so if anything Oddity is a nice self-gimp for people who don't need any extra handholding (I'm only referring to the pond scum who think the game is too hard). And besides...Oddity is just plain fun. More fun. Come on. Look at all those cool icons with the blue outline. I'm a fucking Oddity addict, bros.

Atchodas

Augur
I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting you, but you absolutely can crush combats in this game with only the Melee skill as your offense. It's certainly beneficial to have 40-80 Throwing, but it's not necessary at any stage of the game.
What melee builds you are talking then , because Fist melee user needs PSI skills right ( force emission ) and PSI is another offensive skill ? Knives guy would want to have Throwing so he can use both Melee and Ranged Knives for talents that benefit both , Maybe a sledgehammer build could do it melee without any other offensive skills but i heard people complaining about it being weak . Yes you probably could do those builds without it but thats like gimping yourself intentionally

lol to all oddity lovers : good luck killing cave hopers and going trough the trash(literal trash piles) in lowest levels of under passages lol because that is fun .

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I am not so sure, classic beats oddity in terms of leveling. Sure if you power grind max possible xp at every lvl... but that kinda kills the experience.
Stealth+explore can net you XP from oddities in areas you cannot get through combat at your lvl. I could get some nice early levels very fast just by exploring and not killing much. There are plenty of oddities even without pickpocket.

And as already mentioned here - odditiy removes the inner munchkin and you start approaching the gameplay in terms of decisions/fun. Not "do quest, kill quest giver, maximum brofists ikspeh" way.

Atchodas

Augur
Sure if you power grind max possible xp at every lvl
you dont get it , its actually what you do with oddity system not the other way around , with classic you get exp for playing the game .

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
good luck killing cave hopers and going trough the trash(literal trash piles) in lowest levels of under passages lol because that is fun .

What the fuck are you talking about and how severely retarded are you, honestly? Answer honestly. We don't judge here.

you dont get it , its actually what you do with oddity system not the other way around , with classic you get exp for playing the game .

No, you don't get it. Oddity is the way Styg intended the game to be played, focusing on exploration. Classic was added for addled retards like you.

Atchodas

Augur
Lol nice arguments you piece of shit :D have you actually played this game past SGS ? it is obvious that you havent fucking monkey ,
Oddities that are random drops requires you to grind more than you ever would with fuckin classic but ofc you know better obviously without even trying both systems with same builds which i did you fuckin moron .
Actually first time i heard about "grinding" in underrail was when some guy mentioned here in this thread how he kills beetles which has random oddity drops and you need 6 or something ( like a fuckin mini grind quest sweet ). Also there are some retards who cant read and still says something about stealth builds my whole point was that Oddity is only better if you can skip combat with stealth otherwise if you have to kill every Ironhead you meet anyway classic is just as good or even better than oddity , also people speak about skipping hacking and lockpicking but they still play with oddity lol which is fuckin retarded thing to do oddity works very nice when you can hack lockpick pickpocket everything not when your character has no stealth and has to kill every enemy he meets , has no pickpocket and maybe skipped one of unlocking skills .
Classic system is there not because someone is retarded , but because non stealth builds would be completely fucking tedious to play if you had to kill every enemy you meet and would not get any exp for that , because you cant skip combat in Underrail UNLESS YOU GOT STEALTH .

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Lol nice arguments you piece of shit :D have you actually played this game past SGS ? it is obvious that you havent fucking monkey

I'm not making arguments. I'm telling you the way it is. I'm telling you facts. Just like this one: You are painfully stupid. Just really, really dumb. So dumb that somebody involved with the game just pm'ed me asking how people get dumbfuck tags and then opined (quite rightly) that you deserve one.

Atchodas

Augur
Lol , you are a moron . And still its obvious you havent played this game past first part .

ST'Ranger

Augur
This is definitely the most ridiculous discussion I've seen in this thread so far.

You absolutely can have higher levels earlier on classic XP (for most builds), especially if you metagame and work at it. But every character in the game will reach level 10-11 at about the same time almost no matter what you do. I can see plainly that Atchodas simply doesn't "get" what oddity XP is about as he's extremely focused merely on "I got levels faster in the beginning of the game". By the time you're level 10-11, all XP paths converge because of the increasing amount needed to level so even this boon is short-lived.

To new players, I would recommend to stay away from classic XP because it honestly makes the game worse. Not only are you constantly evaluating what to do based on XP rewards, but you often feel that skipping combat or skipping random locked boxes is "wasteful" because of the opportunity cost of not spending the time doing them. It's the same tedious trap that many other games have. Oddity avoids this entirely. Combat is neither discouraged nor encouraged. I can't even imagine what "grinding for oddities" means because if you're simply playing the game, you'll find them damn near anywhere you look. If Atchodas can't help himself but tediously look into every trash can for oddities, it's only the result of a depraved mind warped by years of XP grinding nonsense in other games. Currently, you can get to the maximum level in the game even avoiding ~35-40% of oddities. And let's be clear, characters that are lvl 18+ are virtually gods, and there's little practical value in seeking ever higher levels. It's a path you undertake purely for its own sake.

In summary, play on oddity XP, explore and be curious, read cool fluff on oddities, enjoy the game for its mechanics rather than arbitrary carrot chasing.

Atchodas

Augur
I found it better because : I never ever skip combat or leave boxes locked in any rpg game fuck that . And i said exactly opposite about trash cans , i dont like checking these useless containers there are so many of them and they rarely have anything(except fucking various oddities and lots of different ones too ) unlike locked boxes etc who usually holds good stuff like crafting components and utilities. Then again reading is hard .

gestalt11

Arbiter
I've tried both oddity and classic. Did a lot more odditty.

I think I prefer oddity. The rates of gain are pretty similar all in all. Oddity gives you a pretty regular "reward" but since they are in bigger chunks they feel more "substantial". Getting XP is a sort of continuous background thing. When you get an oddity even when its like 15+ or so for a level you feel like "Oh yeah cha ching".

Oddly classic xp kind of justifies opening every single thing you can more and I found that to be the biggest difference. For oddity you still want to open everything but 90% of the time its like modest crap and since it takes time to open things it feel kind of chore-ish. Classic XP gives you xp each time you open things so it feel like making some progress at least. Imean a lot of times you can pick a lock and the locker is completely empty on oddity you are like "oh just wasted 20 seconds" and in classic you are like "well at least I got some xp".

All in all I think I like oddity better, but I think either system seems to work fine in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom