Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Atchodas

Augur
Oddly classic xp kind of justifies opening every single thing you can
Classic XP gives you xp each time you open things so it feel like making some progress at least
How does this even make sense , i am sorry but i dont get it . With classic you got to check only containers named Box , Footlocker , Shelf , Desk etc which holds good items meanwhile oddities are hidden in Trash Piles Barrels Rubble and shit like that which is everywhere and it has no valuable loot in them

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
Lol nice arguments you piece of shit :D have you actually played this game past SGS ? it is obvious that you havent fucking monkey ,
Oddities that are random drops requires you to grind more than you ever would with fuckin classic but ofc you know better obviously without even trying both systems with same builds which i did you fuckin moron .
Actually first time i heard about "grinding" in underrail was when some guy mentioned here in this thread how he kills beetles which has random oddity drops and you need 6 or something ( like a fuckin mini grind quest sweet ). Also there are some retards who cant read and still says something about stealth builds my whole point was that Oddity is only better if you can skip combat with stealth otherwise if you have to kill every Ironhead you meet anyway classic is just as good or even better than oddity , also people speak about skipping hacking and lockpicking but they still play with oddity lol which is fuckin retarded thing to do oddity works very nice when you can hack lockpick pickpocket everything not when your character has no stealth and has to kill every enemy he meets , has no pickpocket and maybe skipped one of unlocking skills .
Classic system is there not because someone is retarded , but because non stealth builds would be completely fucking tedious to play if you had to kill every enemy you meet and would not get any exp for that , because you cant skip combat in Underrail UNLESS YOU GOT STEALTH .

I have played through to about level 16 and the main city on oddity about 5 times and I have never felt the need to grind for monster dropped oddities. Also a lot of oddities that exist in containers are obtainable in other ways and almost all of them have more in existence than are usable. You can generally complete an oddity set mutliple ways due to redundancy. I haven't skipped voluminous amounts of ecnounters with stealth although I usually run stealth capable builds.

However not having hacking/lockpinking in genereal is a pretty serious loss is either classic XP or oddity aquiring flexibility and I don't think I would run a build without LP/hack in either system.

Oddity works fine on non-stealth builds and you can skip encounters on numerous maps via various means that are not stealth (hacking and secret door etc). Also anyone can make a stealth equipment set anyway.

Atchodas

Augur
It just stops feeling rewarding when you kill 20 Ironheads to get to the boss and get 2 oddity exp meanwhile with classic you get like 10k

gestalt11

Arbiter
Oddly classic xp kind of justifies opening every single thing you can
Classic XP gives you xp each time you open things so it feel like making some progress at least
How does this even make sense , i am sorry but i dont get it . With classic you got to check only containers named Box , Footlocker , Shelf , Desk etc which holds good items meanwhile oddities are hidden in Trash Piles Barrels Rubble and shit like that which is everywhere and it has no valuable loot in them

Yes obviously I meant locked things which give xp. And No they don't always have good things. They are fairly regularly empty even if locked.

You seem to be spoiling for a fight, but I am not going to give it to you.

gestalt11

Arbiter
It just stops feeling rewarding when you kill 20 Ironheads to get to the boss and get 2 oddity exp meanwhile with classic you get like 10k

Obviously the exact consequences on a per encounter basis vary. On average things balance out.

Atchodas

Augur
My whole point was that Oddity is not always better for every character . Good night :D

GJIG

Novice
Classic can be very nice in the sense that it rewards you handsomely for hunting enemies several levels higher than you. The areas with these high-level mobs are not always areas with high-XP oddities or lots of oddities, so if you want that exact gameplay experience, Classic is a good choice.

With that said, I love the more chill environment of Oddity where as long as I'm progressing in the game, I'm getting decent XP, period. All new areas have some new oddities, so as long as you're visiting new areas (and why wouldn't you, exploring the world is one of the most fun parts of the game) you won't be massively behind in levels, even if you're missing lockpicking/hacking/pickpocket/killing/quest XP.

Doing the things I want to do in the game is its own reward, I don't need to get XP for every thing I do. Even on Oddity you can have buckets of fun hunting higher-level enemies for the challenge. You might not always get a direct XP reward for it, but you're not massively penalized for any specific approach to the game either. If it's a new area, there's oddities there no matter how you want to clear it.

On Classic, there might be times when you don't want to kill anything, and you don't necessarily want to complete every quest. Quests and killing make up such a huge amount of the XP on Classic that you are pressured into doing things the violent way, and you develop a near-obsession with being a yes-man for anything that's asked of you (incidentally this player-behavior was satirized in Nier where sidequests were frequently tedious and lead to horrible results in-world with little material reward, with your companions straight up questioning why in the world you would do anything and everything someone asks you to, no matter how dubious).

As it stands, the way this new-area XP is expressed is that you do have to hunt through trashcans and the like. Perhaps not the best way of doing it, but I can't really think up of a better alternative either. Giving you automatic, instant XP for finding new areas wouldn't feel right, you should have to actually explore the areas. Walking to and clicking on objects in said areas is a reasonable way of doing it. Hell, it's the best XP system I've seen so far.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
My character, a god damn melee hammer guy (Weak my ass, the only problems I had were with dissabling knive users but I managed to find a way to kill them easily too), is right now at level 24 and I had no need to grind any oddity at any time, in fact, there were more oddities than I could get xp point from due to the fact that you can "study" an oddity a limited number of times.

The classic system is for brain dead retardo players who absolutly must fight every enemy and open every door/chest for muh precious XP.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Oddity is the better system because it leaves the player to merely enjoy the game as it is without the grinding monkey on their back. Your statement probably refers only to level gain, claiming you can gain more levels faster with classic XP than with oddity. That is exactly the kind of warped nonsense that the oddity system avoids. Playing on the oddity system, you can choose whether or not to engage in combat based on your whims, objectives, or as part of exploring the world. It encourages exploration/scavenging rather than just combat XP hunting. Rather than coming up with clever ways to level your character faster, you can just play the damned game. That is the genius of the oddity system.

This is what I tried to explain, but apparently my awful English blocked all my attempts.
And Vodka of cource! Stolichnaja!

What melee builds you are talking then , because Fist melee user needs PSI skills right ( force emission ) and PSI is another offensive skill?

Usual pure melee. Cheap Shots, Combo, Fancy Footwork, and all like that (if you want I'll list all feats). No Force Emission, no even 1 point in psi skills.
Spiked combat gloves with pneumatic, knife with electroshock if you havent found high Q pneumatics - and well, I haven't met any sagnificant troubles even with Faceless.

Last edited:

Apexeon

Arcane
Oddity is the better system because it leaves the player to merely enjoy the game as it is without the grinding monkey on their back. Your statement probably refers only to level gain, claiming you can gain more levels faster with classic XP than with oddity. That is exactly the kind of warped nonsense that the oddity system avoids. Playing on the oddity system, you can choose whether or not to engage in combat based on your whims, objectives, or as part of exploring the world. It encourages exploration/scavenging rather than just combat XP hunting. Rather than coming up with clever ways to level your character faster, you can just play the damned game. That is the genius of the oddity system.

This is what I tried to explain, but apparently my awful English blocked all my attempts.

Add more vodka to the posts.

Alfons

Prophet
Oddity is the better system because it leaves the player to merely enjoy the game as it is without the grinding monkey on their back.
It improves it in the long run, but during earlier levels it potentially worsens it. Since "combat exp" exists in the form of trophy oddities looted from remains the beginning of the game can vary in difficulty depending how lucky you get with drops. One example of oddity grinding is the borers. First time you encounter them you kill them to see what will happen, an oddity drops and you see the 0/4 so you keep getting into these pointless time wasting "battles" to get up to 4/4.

It encourages exploration/scavenging rather than just combat XP hunting
And that's precisely it. It still encourages certain type of behavior due to exp. If Atchodas has at least one good point it's about the dumpster diving. The only reason I compulsively open every container is because of oddities. If you take crafting you'll never find anything worthwhile in those other than oddities.

I don't know how fast levelling works on classic but my level 19 char did around 10-15 quests total on oddity.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

It is feels rewarding because you are fighting with the gang, find equipment, exploring areas - for me it is rewarding on it own, mostly because I can focus on that without constant pressure to "grind some more exp! MOAR!".
Btw only with oddity system I realize how I'm sick of exp system. ))

ST'Ranger

Augur
Oddity is the better system because it leaves the player to merely enjoy the game as it is without the grinding monkey on their back.
One example of oddity grinding is the borers. First time you encounter them you kill them to see what will happen, an oddity drops and you see the 0/4 so you keep getting into these pointless time wasting "battles" to get up to 4/4.

It encourages exploration/scavenging rather than just combat XP hunting
And that's precisely it. It still encourages certain type of behavior due to exp. If Atchodas has at least one good point it's about the dumpster diving. The only reason I compulsively open every container is because of oddities. If you take crafting you'll never find anything worthwhile in those other than oddities.

Free yourself from the shackles of grind mind, brother!

Underrail offers a bountiful amount of oddities far beyond what the character can use. Don't stress over such things. When you strike the level cap, all the extra effort you spent getting +1 XP from non-incidental sources was sadly wasted.

Alfons

Prophet
Free yourself from the shackles of grind mind, brother!

Underrail offers a bountiful amount of oddities far beyond what the character can use. Don't stress over such things. When you strike the level cap, all the extra effort you spent getting +1 XP from non-incidental sources was sadly wasted.
I'll definitely give it a shot just to see how it goes.
I will say this about leveling fast though. To me it has a tremendous appeal not so much because of numbers but because of feats. The way I see it more options=more fun and more feats=more options. I'm not chasing level 25 just for the sake of hitting the invisible wall, hell, I'm not chasing 25 at all, but I am chasing certain numbers. To me leveling is not about getting a 120 to pop up over a mob's head instead of a 100, it's about having an option that was previously unavailable. Although that 120 instead of a 100 might mean options as well.

Edit: Just to clarify. Are you saying that it's possible to hit level 25 without opening any boxes, lockers, desks etc. ?

ST'Ranger

Augur
Are you saying that it's possible to hit level 25 without opening any boxes, lockers, desks etc. ?

I've had 4 max-level characters I can think of with no appreciable amount of Lockpicking or Hacking, if that's what you mean. Most characters will naturally search through containers they pass by (from exploration due to missions) in search of goods for crafting, sale, or use, and the largest portion of oddity XP is just these incidental things you find.

What I was saying is that you shouldn't interpret "Crawler Thing 1/4" as a fetch quest and go out of your way to hunt crawlers. There's so much more XP available in the game than you can actually use that going out of your way to get it ASAP is ultimately wasting your time. During the course of following up missions or exploring or scavenging for crafting items, you'll happen upon the vast majority of available oddity XP. That said, I certainly do find myself hunting down oddities when I'm 2 or 3 away from leveling just to get that bump, but the majority of the game I just cruise through following whatever direction the wind blows me.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ok, I finally got this. Although I was really waiting for full release...

I assume I can just choose on a whim and dive in? Anything clearly broken/etc at the present to watch out for?

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I assume I can just choose on a whim and dive in? Anything clearly broken/etc at the present to watch out for?

Most people recommend oddity XP, and it's viable for combat and non combat builds, so that's the only thing you should go in knowing.

Kalasanty11

Learned
I love little bits of humour here and there. Like lab coat's description: "wearing it of course is not going to make you a better doctor... or is it?" Obvious mockery of magical clothes from Fallout 3 and NV.

ST'Ranger

Augur

Pick one offensive method and one defensive method and stick with them, invest into them. Try to determine attributes that are less important for your character and siphon points out of them and into ones that are more important. A jack-of-all-trades is the only "wrong" or "bad" character build in Underrail. Read the descriptions of Skills and Attributes and do what seems sensible from there. I'm confident with this information, you can make a very strong character.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
I've had 4 max-level characters I can think of with no appreciable amount of Lockpicking or Hacking, if that's what you mean. Most characters will naturally search through containers they pass by (from exploration due to missions) in search of goods for crafting, sale, or use, and the largest portion of oddity XP is just these incidental things you find.
Unfortunately that is exactly what I want to skip. In the earlier looting discussion I mentioned that I never found anything worthwhile in any container other than oddities. Oddities are the only incentive I have for opening any container. Doing so solely for oddities starts to feel like a grind when you have stacks of charons and tons of gear from dead foes you can't even carry in a single go.

ST'Ranger

Augur
So your character is at the point in the game where crafting anything additional is negligible, building any more stores of supplies or wealth is pointless, and searching for new items is pointless - but it's still very important (presumably) that your character keep leveling. I have to admit, of the dozens of characters I've played I've never encountered such a thing. On most (not all) of my characters, I'm still hunting for grenades and lucky crafting jackpots even in the later portions of the game well after I've reached max level, and I come across all kinds of oddities in this process.

If you truly aren't finding anything worth looting in containers, are you then not using the crafting system?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

You have to min max the stats. That does not sound good at first - but focused gameplay is very rewarding and awesome. I fucked up at first - but then watched Pope Amoles "Funbuilding" video on youtube and some suggestions here. The were some excellent wiki dumps here, breaking down the "need defence/offense/initiative" system.

Also i would strongly suggest picking up stealth (even if it really means picking up 3 skills: stealth/evasion/dodge, because wearing armor is a no-go). It's just super fun and fits the game awesomely.

Alfons

Prophet
Frankly, that specific character was "finished" at around level 12 or 14. I am using crafting, very heavily in fact, that is precisely the reason I don't find anything worthwhile. All of my non-consumable gear is pretty much squared away. Traders and corpses rarely offer MKIII frags while I slowly but steadily increase my supply of MKIV's. The only reason I even bother looting corpses is to get enough charons to make more super steel, and I'm doing that just to see what kind of gear the higher quality pieces can make. My room in SGS is filled with grenades, stimpacks, crafting components, ammo, things to sell etc. and somehow I still manage to add more crap than I can vacate.

It's entirely possible that I did not reach encounters where all that shit isn't going to cut it. Another possibility is that those builds are just way too good in current version(rifle, smg, psi). All the characters that I brought past depot A cleared the Arena at around level 10 and had no problems going up against level 20 faceless encounters either. Once you craft quality 100 items your economic quandaries disappear. Is a quality 120 item better? Sure. Is the improvement significant? In my experience it's not.
The only difficulty I've had in the game so far is the gauntlet. And the only things that can potentially help with that are player knowledge and levels, the former probably being much more important.

Sykar

Arcane
Lol nice arguments you piece of shit :D have you actually played this game past SGS ? it is obvious that you havent fucking monkey ,
Oddities that are random drops requires you to grind more than you ever would with fuckin classic but ofc you know better obviously without even trying both systems with same builds which i did you fuckin moron .
Actually first time i heard about "grinding" in underrail was when some guy mentioned here in this thread how he kills beetles which has random oddity drops and you need 6 or something ( like a fuckin mini grind quest sweet ). Also there are some retards who cant read and still says something about stealth builds my whole point was that Oddity is only better if you can skip combat with stealth otherwise if you have to kill every Ironhead you meet anyway classic is just as good or even better than oddity , also people speak about skipping hacking and lockpicking but they still play with oddity lol which is fuckin retarded thing to do oddity works very nice when you can hack lockpick pickpocket everything not when your character has no stealth and has to kill every enemy he meets , has no pickpocket and maybe skipped one of unlocking skills .
Classic system is there not because someone is retarded , but because non stealth builds would be completely fucking tedious to play if you had to kill every enemy you meet and would not get any exp for that , because you cant skip combat in Underrail UNLESS YOU GOT STEALTH .

You are so fucking clueless it would be laughable if it were not so pathetically sad watching you proving over and over what a god damn retard you are. Oddity needs no grind whatsoever. Heck as a stealth character I skip most combat and can still get more than sufficient levels to be 14 already when I arrive in Core City. Seems like classic experience is really aimed at clueless retards like you who think that having max level in an RPG is the ultimate price instead of at best a means to an (easy[er]) end. In my opinion you have the wrong tag. It should read "Dumbfuck" instead of "Oh the edge". Also most Oddities from enemies drop at high enough rates that you do not have to even remotely kill every specimen to get them and special oddities from enemies have a 100% to drop anyway like from the Ancient Rathound.
Non stealth builds are tedious anyway since you cannot skip combat whatsoever with maybe a few exceptions if you run one with a high Persuasion or Intimidation skill.

You have to min max the stats. That does not sound good at first - but focused gameplay is very rewarding and awesome. I fucked up at first - but then watched Pope Amoles "Funbuilding" video on youtube and some suggestions here. The were some excellent wiki dumps here, breaking down the "need defence/offense/initiative" system.

Also i would strongly suggest picking up stealth (even if it really means picking up 3 skills: stealth/evasion/dodge, because wearing armor is a no-go). It's just super fun and fits the game awesomely.

You have to max your main skills. Rest is optional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom