Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Maybe I'm misremembering then? Don't judge me for the amount of weed I smoke while playing this game!
You don't need additional stimulants in order to get a high while playing UnderRail.

ST'Ranger

Augur
The RHK terrorized that camp for an indeterminate amount of time - but it's conceivably an entire generation. By all accounts, the interactions were exclusively murderous and sinister. I personally think it makes sense for a couple of reasons:

It's a bit like walking into a mall with dynamite apparently strapped to your chest - in Jerusalem. Even knowing that the RHK threat is over, it's perfectly understandable that a generation of occupants living in terror would overreact, sound all alarms, fire off weapons etc. irrationally at the merest sight of RHK. And of course, if one person sounds the alarm or one person fires their gun in such an environment, that's a point of no return. The terrorized mob will react as it does, making a peaceful resolution something of a fantasy.

These points could be better illustrated in the game, but I don't think it's nonsensical nor do I think it even violates verisimilitude.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Welp, I caved in and bought it. It's the second time I pre-order a game in the past three years, so it's not a decision I took lightly. I won't play it until release because I'm borderline allergic to Early Access, but you monocled gentlemen here and in other sites really make it sound like the second coming of Fallout quality-wise. And seeing some popamolers complain about how it's too complex and that sometimes there are too many choices on how to approach situations only sealed the deal.

Besides, it's not like now that the game is close to being finished and is apparently consistently good, Styg will fuck up the last two areas... r-right?

Raapys

Arcane
Does the classic xp system need a boost? Having done the same quests and optional content with both systems in this version, I was almost level 6 when I started scavenging the Junkyard for the circuit board using classic xp scheme, but I had already gotten above level 7 when using the oddity system at the same point. And that was with killing all enemies on the way, to maximize xp gain in classic.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
When is this supposed to be released? I'm allergic to early access too. I like to play muh games in their complete form, and make the most out of the first, pristine experience.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
When is this supposed to be released? I'm allergic to early access too. I like to play muh games in their complete form, and make the most out of the first, pristine experience.

According to Styg, there are two major areas left to be released. Given that it is about ~2 months or so between big updates, maybe 6 months?

ST'Ranger

Augur
Does the classic xp system need a boost? Having done the same quests and optional content with both systems in this version, I was almost level 6 when I started scavenging the Junkyard for the circuit board using classic xp scheme, but I had already gotten above level 7 when using the oddity system at the same point. And that was with killing all enemies on the way, to maximize xp gain in classic.

Just to double check, did you play the same character? The differences in different types of characters can have a dramatic effect on the early availability of particular oddities. A thieving, lock-picking, pick-pocketing master will gain certain oddities much sooner than e.g. a psionic powerhouse with crafting skills. I personally haven't played the classic XP system for at least a year - certainly not after the recent XP change - so you could be right.

/edit - And just to clarify to those reading the thread, the oddity system is the recommended XP system. Classic XP "requires" a lot of grinding (i.e. you can gain small amounts of experience from doing grindy things and often find yourself doing so). Oddity system, you can sneak into a room full of enemies, swipe all the hidden goodies and oddities, and sneak out having earned as much XP as you would for "clearing" the room. It doesn't punish certain playstyles that aren't optimized for grind.

According to Styg, there are two major areas left to be released. Given that it is about ~2 months or so between big updates, maybe 6 months?

EuXMjGr.png

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
Just to double check, did you play the same character? The differences in different types of characters can have a dramatic effect on the early availability of particular oddities. A thieving, lock-picking, pick-pocketing master will gain certain oddities much sooner than e.g. a psionic powerhouse with crafting skills. I personally haven't played the XP system for at least a year - certainly not after the recent XP change - so you could be right.
Neither had pick-pocketing, both had both types of lockpicking. If anything though, I opened slightly more containers and did one more minor quest with the classic-xp char, since I rushed some of it with the new guy guy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Look at these Codexian popamolers from my Steam friends list.

LOOK.

8f7c338858.png

There are only two other cRPGs on this Earth that I played for 200+ hours and still wanted to play more of. They were released in 1997 and 1998, respectively.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

LOOK.
bitching about people not wanting to put significant amounts of time into into a mostly story driven early access game that is still missing content and riddled with bugs and typos? the gameplay is cool, but people not wanting to play it yet are prefectly justified.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
rocks often don't blow up for me, especially when it would have been fucking convenient, like the ones blocking the crawler-free side passage to buzzer's back door, which don't blow up from the front, but do blow up instantly from the back. rocks in other places often have a single rock blowing up, requiring you to set a second charge in a different place, and sometimes they do not blow up at all either. fishing rods often say they are blocked on clearly fine tiles at siphoner lake, though that's not a biggy.
and npcs ignore rules, for example if you go below the embassy with the elevator, then steal the power box key, turn off power and lock the power box, the guard who checks it out will enable power on again, despite having no key of his own.
same where you fight the ironhead boss with the cybernetic eye. you can shut off the power for all the warehouses, but when you enter a sector with enemies, they will enable lights again when they reach the switch, despite you being unable to use them due to "no power".

and if you don't think the game is story-driven, murder the entirety of sgs with a cheated char at the beginning, and then try to get access to the rest of underrail beyond sgs and junkyard.

the game also uses invincible unpickable doors very fucking frequently, which annoys the hell out of me, because it is otherwise excellent exploration-wise, though that is more of a personal pet-peeve of mine that i picked up from bethesda's bullshittery (though it does make no sense... you can blow rocks the fuck up, but beware a flimsy door to some run down ruin).

Last edited:
"Riddled with bugs" is an exaggerration and my definition of story-driven does not align with yours SuicideBunny.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
"Riddled with bugs" is an exaggerration
yes, it is. but there are bugs, and the rock bug is pretty sgnificant to gameplay, considering how much tnt a charge uses up to craft, and that charges and their components are fairly rare, and the tnt is better used for other things.
and my definition of story-driven does not align with yours SuicideBunny.
significant progress and access to areas and important equipment like charges being tiered via story events means the game is story-driven. the story events themselves offering some freedon in the ways you resolve them via different gameplay options, or your personal definition differing, doesn't change it.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
yes, it is. but there are bugs, and the rock bug is pretty sgnificant to gameplay, considering how much tnt a charge uses up to craft, and that charges and their components are fairly rare, and the tnt is better used for other things.

significant progress and access to areas and important equipment like charges being tiered via story events means the game is story-driven. the story events themselves offering some freedon in the ways you resolve them via different gameplay options, or your personal definition differing, doesn't change it.

They may not be sold before you complete the Junkyard quest line, but TNT charges are pretty simple to create and the ingredients aren't really rare. The skill requirements to craft charges are 15 and 20, which you could satisfy at level 1 if you have INT.

Nevermind, it appears you don't have access to the blueprint until later on. Bummer.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
most merchants tend ot have a single timer or a single box per restock if at all (though i did catch somebody with two tiemrs once), which makes the componets for a complete charge as rare as 60+ quality plasma cores for me. maybe it's different with core city, but i haven't been there yet.
at least if they stock charges they do get 3 at once.

set

Cipher
The game is still unfinished so I'm not wont to play it, even though I did buy this early access game.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
bitching about people not wanting to put significant amounts of time into into a mostly story driven early access game that is still missing content and riddled with bugs and typos? the gameplay is cool, but people not wanting to play it yet are prefectly justified.

Saying "riddled with" is retarded, but yes, the game is currently still in development. Why do you suddenly sound like a petulant child who has been cheated? Chrissakes, this game is as good as it is and it doesn't include a disappearing fucking car.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Why do you suddenly sound like a petulant child who has been cheated?
cheated out of what? i was merely replying to blaine's "popamoler" bullshit.

although i really am a bit pissed about unpickable locked doors being more common than in a bethesda game. nothing curbs my exploration enthusiasm like invisible walls and hard to find ruins full of storylocked doors.
:x

ST'Ranger

Augur

LOOK.

8f7c338858.png

There are only two other cRPGs on this Earth that I played for 200+ hours and still wanted to play more of. They were released in 1997 and 1998, respectively.

As an unrelated aside, Underrail is one of those games which is not attached by the guts to Steam. If you run the executable from the installation folder rather than from the Steam interface, Steam knows nothing about it. More games need to operate like this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is no good reason not to play through Underrail at least once in its current state, because you'll want to play through it a second and a third time at the bare minimum, especially if you're waiting six months or more between playthroughs. In fact, this is an absolutely perfect time for a first playthrough, because there'll be more to look forward to later and the endgame scenarios haven't yet been revealed.

I am the king of waiting until version 1.0 before touching a game, and the emperor of typo intolerance, yet I played through Underrail twice and wanted to play through it a third time immediately, but decided to wait until release.

• "It's got bugs"—fuck off. Some rocks didn't blow up exactly the way you wanted that one time, big deal.
  • "It's not complete"—it has enough content (exploration, dialog, combat, crafting) to last you 80-100 hours.
  • "It has typos"—Big deal. Post them on the official forums for correction.
  • "I don't want to spoil myself"—already covered, but probably the most legitimate reason. Buy it now anyway and play it later. Most of you gaping assholes pre-pre-ordered Project Eternity and/or Wasteland 2, and look how those are turning out. This is confirmed
    prestyge.png
There is no doubt whatsoever that this is the most inclined cRPG since the Codex's beginning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom