Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tygrende

Arbiter
This update seems to be an acknowledgement of my legacy. Or an attempt to make me play crowbar again, which I now feel obligated to do.
nah, now you need to pick something worse
I will do it psiless this time. The various crowbar buffs won't make it easier, just less gay.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
This update seems to be an acknowledgement of my legacy. Or an attempt to make me play crowbar again, which I now feel obligated to do.
I will do it psiless this time. The various crowbar buffs won't make it easier, just less gay.
If one wants challenge - in some other games I recall "naked runs". Not sure if doable in Underrail.

Tygrende

Arbiter
If one wants challenge - in some other games I recall "naked runs". Not sure if doable in Underrail.
A "bandage only" run where i use nothing but bandages to heal up after combat is something i have in my backlog. Someday.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Is the difficulty of the Expedition DLC similar to peak endgame? I haven't played the OC since 2017, don't remember anything about it and don't want to beat my head against the wall relearning the system/tactics.
In B4 'do you even lift, bro'.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I had a dream last night that the endgame made you climb through a maze of urinals and then play a 2D platformer kaizo level. No wonder Porky has a grudge against it.

ciox

Liturgist
Tired of this shit, mane. Us minigunners just left in the dust... humiliated by le crowbar memes...
Well, no longer. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

https://www.nexusmods.com/underrailexpedition/mods/14
Or: https://mega.nz/file/gk1mBRjD#WUqk_VaXrTbyS-a0C8kCiLP4wPRAn8nsy98ma7rCk9Q

sCwiafn.png

New:
fiSrU1v.png

Some very bold changes, but it's probably close enough for a first try, because the minigun balance is just that off compared to LMGs.
You could make an argument for totally rebalancing heavy weapons to make LMGs less powerful and optimal, the scope for that is quite a bit greater however.

Jacov

Educated
Tired of this shit, mane. Us minigunners just left in the dust... humiliated by le crowbar memes...

sCwiafn.png

New:
fiSrU1v.png

Some very bold changes, but it's probably close enough for a first try, because the minigun balance is just that off compared to LMGs.
You could make an argument for totally rebalancing heavy weapons to make LMGs less powerful and optimal, the scope for that is quite a bit greater however.
Interesting! Did not know mods like this were possible.
My inner Styg screams that 8 and 14 initial rounds is OP, but I'm trying to contain him.

ciox

Liturgist
UFE from the Nexus is pretty much all you need.

My inner Styg screams that 8 and 14 initial rounds is OP, but I'm trying to contain him.
That may well be. But there's some factors to keep in mind like how some LMGs can still shoot more than that, and how this variant of the Jumpstarter basically no longer benefits from Mag Dump's effects, while the other motors do.

Honestly I would have liked to make it so Jumpstarter also reduced precision, while Long Game actually increased precision with each stack, but I don't think it can be done, you're stuck with tweaking existing numbers pretty much.

sCwiafn.png

New:
fiSrU1v.png

It seems crazy, but when you consider that miniguns only shoot once per turn it's pretty reasonable. You'll still end up firing less bullets per turn than assault rifles/machine guns, and with the issue that you can't easily spread damage between multiple targets like those guns do. If anything it might still be too weak.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wonder if without mods, minigun build is viable considering how much ammo it eats. Do you plan to invest heavily in trading? Craft ammo?

Tygrende

Arbiter
I wonder if without mods, minigun build is viable considering how much ammo it eats. Do you plan to invest heavily in trading? Craft ammo?
It's memed into oblivion that's it bad, but that's only because it's compared to the LMG, which is argueably even better than AR and de facto strongest weapon in the game. Miniguns sucks compared to other bursts weapons, but they're still burst weapons, which puts them above most weapons in the game in terms of power.

ciox

Liturgist
It's memed into oblivion that's it bad, but that's only because it's compared to the LMG, which is argueably even better than AR and de facto strongest weapon in the game. Miniguns sucks compared to other bursts weapons, but they're still burst weapons, which puts them above most weapons in the game in terms of power.
Are you running a minigun build? I've gone through most of the game with heavy weapons, and miniguns perform worse than LMGs and ARs and SMGs for nearly all combat scenarios in the game, and only pull their weight in maybe one or two like the bladeling fight where low-lethality enemies are crawling towards you, letting you wind up. This while miniguns also have various build requirements and ammo procurement issues.

If you need some help with figuring it out, just look at the first turn of using a minigun, which has you shooting 5-9 bullets with pretty weak accuracy, and that's about it. Compare that with an AR that can fire 9 bullets with good accuracy and another 9 if you get a kill which is very easy, and randomly gives AP from Rapid Reloader. If you use Adrenaline then a Hornet AR or an SMG will fire 27 bullets or more and still let you throw a grenade. Which turn was the most important again in Underrail? Oh yeah...

I don't think minigun only is viable, you will go crazy trying to find enough .44 and 12.7 ammo, it's tough even with Mercantile+Pickpocketing+Crafting. There aren't any mods to help with this issue in particular.
Miniguns are supposed to be some kind of backup weapons I guess, but they are so backup that they are useful in maybe 1-2 scenarios because winding up so slowly against lethal enemies is a death sentence.

Jacov

Educated
Do you plan to invest heavily in trading? Craft ammo?
My last build was LMGs and it's ridiculous how fast these things chew through your ammo. I wouldn't want to play LMGs/miniguns without Mercantile, that's for sure.
Closer to the end of the playthrough I just gave up and started refreshing merchants with cheat engine lmao.

Crafting is handy if you go for something like 9mm acid or .44 explosives, W2C is always a must and if you have an additional way to obtain them that's great. But then again I got so tired that I threw crafting out of the window and started abusing cheat engine which is one of the reasons why cheat engine is evil and should not be used normally: it destroys game's design.

ciox

Liturgist
My last build was LMGs and it's ridiculous how fast these things chew through your ammo. I wouldn't want to play LMGs/miniguns without Mercantile, that's for sure.
Closer to the end of the playthrough I just gave up and started refreshing merchants with cheat engine lmao.

Crafting is handy if you go for something like 9mm acid or .44 explosives, W2C is always a must and if you have an additional way to obtain them that's great. But then again I got so tired that I threw crafting out of the window and started abusing cheat engine which is one of the reasons why cheat engine is evil and should not be used normally: it destroys game's design.
I feel LMGs are not too annoying if you focus on 9mm and make sure you have a max damage 9mm LMG, like the Guardian, if you don't need 2 bursts per turn then the Guardian will help save ammo, and it will always burst twice with Adrenaline anyway in an emergency.
In my run I also got by sometimes with looting a random non-9mm AR and using that for a while, depending on the lethality of the encounters. Most burst feats you took for Heavy Guns will still apply.

Jacov

Educated

I feel LMGs are not too annoying if you focus on 9mm and make sure you have a max damage 9mm LMG, like the Guardian, if you don't need 2 bursts per turn then the Guardian will help save ammo, and it will always burst twice with Adrenaline anyway in an emergency.
In my run I also got by sometimes with looting a random non-9mm AR and using that for a while, depending on the lethality of the encounters. Most burst feats you took for Heavy Guns will still apply.
9mm Guardian is exactly what I was using half the time. My mistake was to stubbornly use LMGs only, even in low-threat encounters (with both Full-Auto and Mag Dump). Soooo... That probably had to do something with my ammo problems too :lol:

ciox

Liturgist
9mm Guardian is exactly what I was using half the time. My mistake was to stubbornly use LMGs only, even in low-threat encounters (with both Full-Auto and Mag Dump). Soooo... That probably had to do something with my ammo problems too :lol:
Gotcha. Honestly I would have tried to make something like a Bipod Compensated Grudge, since that's the slower firing accurate LMG, but my other weapon slot was already busy with a Minigun since I kept trying to make those work. Maybe some other time.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Besides using food and paranoia feat, there is anything more to buff my initiative?

I"m playing in the hardest difficulty for the first time and just need more initiative, against Carnifex.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Besides using food and paranoia feat, there is anything more to buff my initiative?

I"m playing in the hardest difficulty for the first time and just need more initiative, against Carnifex.
There's a chem called twitch, I think. Gives something like +8 to initiative. I used it a lot during my nimble tank shotgunner character.
Oh, you need Expedition for it though. Not sure if you have that DLC.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Trigger Happy and Gunslinger feats both increase Initiative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom