Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
anyone seen a good dom tincan heavy weapons versatile metathermics/TM build?
Ah yes, the jack of all trades, master at none

ciox

Liturgist
mSy3sU9.png

xEKSn0v.png

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
So if they are used right they could be quite economical because things die after just a couple bullets that rip through their armor and health, while you avoid bursting inefficiently and causing overkill.
things dying from first two-three bullets of a burst do not stop the burst, you still fire all shots. "economical" is not something that comes to mind when i think of LMG/Minigun.

CHEMS

Scholar
We should be able to have a ammo press station in our house, there's no real reason for not being able to craft casings besides MUH BALANCE

ciox

Liturgist
So if they are used right they could be quite economical because things die after just a couple bullets that rip through their armor and health, while you avoid bursting inefficiently and causing overkill.
things dying from first two-three bullets of a burst do not stop the burst, you still fire all shots. "economical" is not something that comes to mind when i think of LMG/Minigun.
Like I said I don't see why they would be much worse than SMG/AR, they are close in ammo consumption when you take Commando/Dex into account, but the LMG/Minigun kills tough enemies in fewer bursts since you can get like +200% damage from feats. Single shot capability of SMG/AR isn't even used that much because you'd rather not take any chances of the fuckers surviving another turn on you, and there's nothing to buff your stray single shots while there are many things that buff your bursts.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Think I may jump back into this now with the expansions out, heavy weapons sounds sweet, but are they 'late game' only like in Fallout? Should I take a secondary weapon skill for the early game?

destinae vomitus

Educated
Think I may jump back into this now with the expansions out, heavy weapons sounds sweet, but are they 'late game' only like in Fallout? Should I take a secondary weapon skill for the early game?
Heavy Guns has synergy with Guns so you can easily get away with just using a pistol up until Junkyard, and by then you ought to be able to buy or put together an LMG. Miniguns appear later on (in and around Core City) but they aren't very good currently.

Mauman

Learned
Styg you fucking retard. If you're going to put in God Awful shit like the Phreak quest in this game, at least have the GOOD FUCKING GRACE TO MAKE SURE IT WORKS.

I'm getting code works, all green, no door NO FUCKING QUEST ITEMS at BOTH of the phones. I've spent hours figuring this fucking thing out only to be blocked by God knows what (a bug, a misunderstanding, I don't fucking know).

Good God I've lost some brain cells today.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Styg you fucking retard. If you're going to put in God Awful shit like the Phreak quest in this game, at least have the GOOD FUCKING GRACE TO MAKE SURE IT WORKS.

I'm getting code works, all green, no door NO FUCKING QUEST ITEMS at BOTH of the phones. Good God I've lost some brain cells today.
there's more phones, you blockhead

Mauman

Learned

I'm getting code works, all green, no door NO FUCKING QUEST ITEMS at BOTH of the phones. Good God I've lost some brain cells today.
No, "blockhead". I'm at the two phones that are supposedly the correct ones (the one near Grubbins, and the one SE of the institute), so fuck off unless you have something actually useful to say?

No, "blockhead". I'm at the two phones that are supposedly the correct ones (the one near Grubbins, and the one SE of the institute), so fuck off unless you have something actually useful to say?
say this to my fucking face bitch ?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So have enough people played the DLC to confirm the new content? New weapons/skills, one area, and one quest?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

yeah, uninstall, you're too dumb

Mauman

Learned

Actually, after venting. I found out what the problem was. I did misunderstood the deal. I didn't realize I had to do each phone 3 times in a row.

That being said, your comment about being at the wrong phone was still wrong and retarded. Much like you I suppose.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

Actually, after venting. I found out what the problem was. I did misunderstood the deal. I didn't realize I had to do each phone 3 times in a row.

That being said, your comment about being at the wrong phone was still wrong and retarded. Much like you I suppose.
I underestimated your stupidity, blockhead
won't happen again

Mauman

Learned

won't happen again
Ditto, retard.

Good we have an understanding.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

won't happen again
Ditto, retard.

I have an understanding, you're a blockhead

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

won't happen again
Ditto, retard.

I have an understanding, you're a blockhead
As a proud Zionist, you should find him, rape his babies, kill the entire family, confiscate his house, call CNN, complain how he hurt your feelings online and brag about how you are without fault.

Everything less than that is simply unacceptable.

also the pyramid requires more sacrifices

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Quite a few years ago, I chose to play Underrail with a technical/scientific adept with some psychic powers and a little persuasion, and I stopped playing sometimes after reaching the first big town.
I vaguely remember that I liked the atmosphere, that exploration was meaningful, and that the writing ranged from okay to interesting. However, there was also a growing feeling of disheartening caused by clutter lying everywhere, trying to cope with the system of having to remember what I can sell and where, what stuff I should pick up or leave lying, and, mainly, the combat.
I tried to bear with the initial, uninspiring feeling of repetitive 'press a button to attack 2x per round, wait out enemies doing the same, with little to no tactics possible' because I told myself, "Hey, it's the first levels, as in any other game." But the feeling never changed.
That was before I came to Codex.

Initially, I made a fool of myself here, criticizing Underrail in an unseemly fashion.
I still believe I did have a point—at least to a degree. However, after reading many positive things about Underrail and seeing the lovely cult created around it (I mean it as a good thing; I myself am part of several similar cults), I think that there just must've been something I missed. A lot.

With the severe discount on Steam and having just finished the awesome Colony Ship, I am thinking of revising my heretic thoughts and stand points, and try it again. After all, I may have just misunderstood, or skill-walled myself out of the good stuff, or some such.

If you'd be so kind as to elaborate on why combat can be good in this game and how to go on about it, etc., it would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
press a button to attack 2x per round, wait out enemies doing the same, with little to no tactics possible
Tactics in underrail don't come from character abilities (except for psykers, that is), but from using the terrain, chucking the many types of grenades, utilizing consumables, and placing traps before the fight even starts. If you play it the way you described, you just won't beat it (unless you're playing on easy or something). From what you said I gather you reached Junkyard and haven't gone through Depot A yet, which is the part of the game that usually forces you to tacticize, an end of tutorial mode, essentially.

Example of the average fight in Underrail: throw gas grenade before fight starts into a bottleneck, wait for the gas to spread. Then start combat by attacking enemy from afar (no need to hit, just get his attention). Then retreat a bit and hide behind a corner, so that enemies have to traverse the gas cloud (deals damage and adds a damage multiplier to any further damage they receive from any source). Once they do so, pop out of cover and drop as many as you can. Then use adrenaline to get more AP and drop more. Use Jumping bean if needed to get the MP to hide behind the corner again. Remaining enemies finally reach you - time to throw a flashbang to give you those extra two rounds, and use them to finish them off.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
press a button to attack 2x per round, wait out enemies doing the same, with little to no tactics possible
Tactics in underrail don't come from character abilities (except for psykers, that is), but from using the terrain, chucking the many types of grenades, utilizing consumables, and placing traps before the fight even starts. If you play it the way you described, you just won't beat it (unless you're playing on easy or something). From what you said I gather you reached Junkyard and haven't gone through Depot A yet, which is the part of the game that usually forces you to tacticize, an end of tutorial mode, essentially.

Example of the average fight in Underrail: throw gas grenade before fight starts into a bottleneck, wait for the gas to spread. Then start combat by attacking enemy from afar (no need to hit, just get his attention). Then retreat a bit and hide behind a corner, so that enemies have to traverse the gas cloud (deals damage and adds a damage multiplier to any further damage they receive from any source). Once they do so, pop out of cover and drop as many as you can. Then use adrenaline to get more AP and drop more. Use Jumping bean if needed to get the MP to hide behind the corner again. Remaining enemies finally reach you - time to throw a flashbang to give you those extra two rounds, and use them to finish them off.
Wow, I certainly don't remember using such options. Probably even not having them, but that's a different story. Thanks!
By using terrain, you mean there was a cover mechanics? Or did you mean stuff like creating no line of sight, imposing AP penalty to enemies by making them circumventing the terrain, etc.?

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
By using terrain, you mean there was cover mechanics? Or did you mean stuff like creating no line of sight, imposing AP penalty to enemies by making them circumvent the terrain, etc.?
play non psi character, with 3 con, light armor and no evasion stuff. You will learn quickly what this is all about. There are a number of such builds dominating proven

thesecret1

Arcane
By using terrain, you mean there was cover mechanics? Or did you mean stuff like creating no line of sight, imposing AP penalty to enemies by making them circumvent the terrain, etc.?
No cover mechanics. Line of sight is important especially for corners and the like, but you can also create acid puddles, fire, or gas on the floor, which enemies will either have to bypass or tank. That's not to mention the various kinds of traps you can use, or tacticizing around opening/closing doors. Being able to use these things to waste enemy AP, give them debuffs, or group them together for some AoE attacks is key to Underrail combat. Different builds give you a great amount of variety, too. Playing melee or crossbow, you will probably get a lot of mileage from various poisons, while probably not using them at all with a psyker or a gun build.

Before Depot A, the game is going very easy on you and doesn't really show what it's about yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom