Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity Pulls an Adobe! No more permanent licenses and 4x the price

Mustawd

I never hear about IF. The only author I know of is Emily Short and that was from years ago. Are they big on Steam? ;)
No, the kind of IF you find on steam is CYOA. The real IF can be downloaded here: http://ifdb.tads.org/
You'll need this to play them: https://code.google.com/archive/p/garglk/downloads
While some can be played on your browser, others will require to download and use an interpreter to play it. I'd recommend to download and play with the software above, as some IF on browser doesn't save.
As for recommendations: All Alone and Lost Pig are short and a good way to learn how to play IF. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Hobbit, Zork and Adventure(the first IF ever) are famous and a must play. Then for horror you got Theatre and Anchorhead, both uses Lovecraftian universe as inspiration.

. Amazing that IF people never figured out what book publishers have always known: Fantasy books with good pictures sell better than ones without.
Tbh, I don't think they don't know it. The thing is, Cypher is the only recent IF that you have to pay to play. All the rest is free.

Thanks. Watched the documentary. Might take up some IF games and see how it goes.

Destroid

Arcane
So what is the consequences for a team like Goldhawk? I think I remember them saying that Xenonauts 2 will be using Unity, for the transition to 3D. I'm guessing they licensed the engine way before all this - so will they have to pay double now, or give some of their income to unity? Not a game developer so I'm not sure how it all works. Just looking at the costs it doesn't seem that much. I mean I remember dev-teams paying millions to be able to use the unreal 3 engine...

Their licence will last for the projected life of whatever version (unity 4.x 5.x etc. )they purchased most likely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom