Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volournian Quick & Early Mass Effect Thoughts

SilasMalkav

Educated
It's a bit annoying that you can't seem to skip conversations (by that I mean the repatitve ones like "Ahh, human, come to buy something? Why yes I have") or pause them. I also keep accidentally throwing grenades when I want to look at the map, but that's just because I've been playing a bit too much Assassin's Creed. And the equipment and buying menus are horrible, although managable.

Oh and most of the conversation choices aren't really choices. They result in exactly the same dialog. And I'm really getting annoyed that I have to be a paragon in order to get charm skills. Especially since the paragon options completely tread on my sense of curiosity most of the time.

SilasMalkav

Educated
Oh and I just accidentally grabbed someone's collar. I believe the option was "I'll go talk to him." and it came out as more "I'll go talk to him *grabs his collar* to tell him that you cut up his wife you damn bastard". It's still a pretty fun game tho.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Volly where the hell are you? Did your Xbrick had a melt-down? How long can we wait for those impressions?

Grifman

Liturgist
Matt7895 said:
SilasMalkav said:
They have specifically stated that there will never be a port to a PC.

Not true. What they have said is there are no current plans for a port. They haven't ruled anything out. And they said exactly the same thing about Jade Empire, and lo and behold it was released for PC two years later.

My only question about this is that I've read ME is to be a trilogy - it that still true? If so, then with the MS exclusive, I doubt they'd release anything before the trilogy is finished, and it might be too late at that point.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I don't do turkey in Novermeber. i'm not Amerikan. I do work, guys, so i cna't play all the time.

Took part in another pretty darn quest yesterday. Good stuff. But, yeah, still.. biggest beefs is horrible inventory management, and the C&C isn't super impressive.

Otherwise, very good game.

ME > KOTOR

If you disagree, you are stupid.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
ME > KOTOR

If you disagree, you are stupid.

I already hear that. Keep up the good work.

Maybe the box eat the Game....like my dead rising....

WHYYY GOD WHY!!!!!.

Because it's from Microsoft, it has a selfdestruct device.

Is it true that you have to pay 15euro to get your game replaced?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I'm about 8 hours into the game, and just finished a rather difficult boss battle. Really, all of the idiots saying this game is like an action shooter are stupid. You can't just go in guns blazing Halo style, even if you're the soldier class. You can die very quickly in this game. Most of the time, just a few shots from an enemy assault or sniper rifle sends me to the floor (level 16 Infiltrator)

The only combat I hate is when you're in the Mako tank. Controlls for it aren't that great, and it's simply just not as fun as fighting out of the tank is.

By the way, does anyone here (who has the game and is farther than me) know if you get more money in this game? Everything in the game is so goddamned expensive; I can't afford anything.

And while there isn't very many c&c, there are a few good ones.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

On a snowy planet, after making your way through Peak 15 (some big tower) you are given the choice to kill the queen of some sort of insect-like aliens, which would damn the entire species and result in their extinction. Or you could set her free, gaining a valuable ally for the human race (which seems to be disliked by a lot of the different aliens). Or you can just simply not get involved, not killing the queen but not setting her free either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I'm not furtehr than you; but supposedly you get super duper rich later mostly if you do the side planets. Not surprising though. I'm with you think you, I'm rather poor. So much cool stuff to buy. I think it's logical that the further you get in the game, the richer you get. It's pretty much a natural progression for RPGs.

I agree with you on combat. You can't go in guns ablazing as you *will* die. My plan is to always hide when my shields go down, and let them regen avoiding as much health damage as possible.

vrok

Liturgist
Fat Dragon said:
Really, all of the idiots saying this game is like an action shooter are stupid. You can't just go in guns blazing Halo style, even if you're the soldier class. You can die very quickly in this game.
So just because you play all shooters (or just Halo?) on super-easy, where it's impossible to die (quickly), that means ME isn't like an action shooter? Not saying ME is an action shooter since I haven't played it, but your post makes no sense. If you're going to call people idiots maybe you should try not to sound like one yourself.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It's real simple. IYou cna't really play ME as a shooter (or even striaght up action game); because if you do; you will die. Character skills/talents are too important to the success of combat to ignore. Not to mention rushing in guns ablazing is a surefire way to die in all but the easiest of combat. Your shields, and health won't last long.

vrok

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Not to mention rushing in guns ablazing is a surefire way to die in all but the easiest of combat. Your shields, and health won't last long.
Not sure if you guys play shooters or if it's a console phenomenon but this applies to most decent PC shooters (and even CoD4) played at appropriate difficulty. Dying quickly isn't exactly exclusive to, or even indicative of being, an RPG, and neither is regenerating health/shields to overcome a challenge. It's only indicative of the game not being easy as shit. Though I hardly trust a modern console players opinion when it comes to judging difficulty it still has little relevance when it comes to the implementation of combat systems.

bezimek

Scholar
There is shooter (sic !) game called "Gears of War":

-in which "rushing in guns ablazing is a surefire way to die in all even easiest of combat".
-in which "you must alwayes use cover because if you don`t you die in 2 seconds".
-in which you "always hide when shields go down, and let them regerate avoiding take more damage"
- in which "you can directly control party/team members during combat"
- in which "party members are resurected after combat is finish"
- in which " if you die during combat and your party/team members live = game over"
and in which "party members die as quick as lemmings"

Your shields and health - looks like Halo 3

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except, you guys forget to mention that in ME character skills do matter. And, I don't find my teammates die as lemmings. In fact, they do pretty good... most of the time.

And, yeah, I know. Combat difficulty isn't genre specific. Heh. Espicially since many RPGs have easy combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. cna't really expect AI to be perfect. Heh. Besdies, I cna't complain too much. I make my share of dumb mistakes too. And, i'm sure if we're all honest; we've all did dumb things playing games. Heh.

bezimek

Scholar
Hmm ... you are right Volourn.

We are playing rpg games mostly for story, combat/ economy system/ etc are only parts (small) of whole game. IMHO AI in all rpg game are not good :(

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
The only combat I hate is when you're in the Mako tank. Controlls for it aren't that great, and it's simply just not as fun as fighting out of the tank is.

I suggest using the camera stick to steer the mako. (use the left stick to accelerate only)

User was nabbed fit

Reasons for me to buy a 360:

- GTA 4
- and now Mass Effect

Annonchinil

Scholar
I am not sure about the difficulty remark as consoles have games like Jak II and Ninja Gaiden, what recent PC release is comparable?

Jiles

Educated
Volourn said:
Took part in another pretty darn quest yesterday. Good stuff. But, yeah, still.. biggest beefs is horrible inventory management, and the C&C isn't super impressive.

There's loads of sidequests that pop up from time to time. I'd usually get one or two after each mission. There's a lot of "incoming transmission, Commander". Most of them are fun enough. I liked visiting the Moon.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Annonchinil said:
Very good game, except it has tendency to make your controller meet the wall. ;)
Had to buy a new controller after beating this game.

It was too bad they nerfed all of the difficulty in Jak 3.

OccupatedVoid said:
Annonchinil said:
Very good game, except it has tendency to make your controller meet the wall. ;)
Had to buy a new controller after beating this game.

It was too bad they nerfed all of the difficulty in Jak 3.

It was definitely a refreshing change from the abysmally easy games that make up pretty much everything. And it actually had pretty nice boss fights as well, usually something most games screw up on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom