Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volournian Quick & Early Mass Effect Thoughts

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've made some more progress in ME, and it still hasn't gotten boring in the slightest. The combat difficulty has ramped up a bit. Now, enemies are starting to overheat my weapons with tech abilities and knock me down with adept powers. This game's combat system continues to impress me. It's been a while since I've played a good challenging game.

Exploring different planets on the mako tankisn't as great as I'd hoped it to be; although the environments for them are quite beautiful.

I'm not sure why so many reviews have said the game is really buggy. I've got over 13 hours on the game, but haven't ran into any game crashing bugs or the like. Hell, I haven't come across a single bug, period. If I have, then it was so small that only those purposely looking for them would notice.

Oh, and for some cheap laughs, check out the gamefaq/gamespot ME forums. All of the kiddies are whining about the game being challenging, saying that Bioware purposely made the gameplay extremely cheap (lol). I actually commend Bioware for making their game challenging and not dumbing it down; something most games these days are burdened with. *cough*BioShock*cough*

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
OccupatedVoid said:
Annonchinil said:
Very good game, except it has tendency to make your controller meet the wall. ;)
Had to buy a new controller after beating this game.

It was too bad they nerfed all of the difficulty in Jak 3.

I know what you mean about Jak 3. The game was hugely dumbed down in terms of difficulty, and almost every single damned mission was on a timer. I've no problem with timed parts in games, but when you have as many as Jak 3 did it starts to get a little old. Still a decent gmae, though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FD: i agree with you 100% on the combat both in how the system works and the challenge. It's not necceesarily super must reload 1 million times to complete; but it makes you think. And, as I progess the game, I'm learning more and more about it. I'm still trying to get used to using my allies' power properly.

I haven't used the mako yet so i can't comment on that.

As for people whining about 'cheapness'. Welll.. people use that excuse when they find combat hard in any game. For the most part - except speical monsters - enemies use the same powers/talents that PCs cna have access to. The only exception thus far is the Krogan recovering from a knockdown/preusmed death and that seeems reaosnable consideirng it's the Krogans.

ME's combat system is awesome. it's character system is awesome too. Add in some more non combat talents like sneak, and lore, and insight; and it be darn well perfect.

I love, love the universe BIO created for ME. The different raaces for the most part are different. The hanar (awesome character models), and krogan (kind of a cross between dwarves and klingons but a very well done history, lol).

For examples, I alternate feeling sorry for the krogan's current predicament to feeling they earned it cause of what crimes they committed. Payback's a bitch!

NOTE TO BIO: Fix the inventory, and add more C&C; and you'd be cretaing the (near) perfect game!

P.S. No bugs at all for me including no glitches whatsoever.

edit: Talking about C&C, read this BIO forum thread on ME2... it's not much; but it's promising. http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=104

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Am I in the Twilight Zone? Fuck Volourn.

(Didn't bother to read the article.)

Annonchinil

Scholar
Its been a long time since I played an RPG with an enjoyable combat system, the game is starting to get more and more tempting. One thing you guys forgot to mention though, is the atmosphere, specifically if there is any?

DefJam101

Arcane
bezimek said:
There is shooter (sic !) game called "Gears of War":

-in which "rushing in guns ablazing is a surefire way to die in all even easiest of combat".
-in which "you must alwayes use cover because if you don`t you die in 2 seconds".
-in which you "always hide when shields go down, and let them regerate avoiding take more damage"
- in which "you can directly control party/team members during combat"
- in which "party members are resurected after combat is finish"
- in which " if you die during combat and your party/team members live = game over"
and in which "party members die as quick as lemmings"

Your shields and health - looks like Halo 3

THEREFORE GEARS OF WAR MUST BE AN UBER TAKTIKALS SHOOTUR JUST LIKE RAINBOW SIX VEGAS RITE??!?!

IF IT'S CHALLENGING IT NOT ACTION GAME, IT TAKTIKAL!!

bezimek

Scholar
Sorry my mistake. It should be
in which "you can`t directly control party/team members during combat"

IF IT'S CHALLENGING IT NOT ACTION GAME, IT TAKTIKAL!!

Very interesting point of view but you should play "Gears of war" first ;)

DefJam101

Arcane
bezimek said:

I meant that just because a game is difficult and requires more input than point/shoot, doesn't mean it's tactical.

Gears of War is still a good game, just don't confuse it with actual "Tactical" games, that require strategy, planning, and.. well, tactics. It's more of a "quick-thinking action game".

Tactical Games:

Most of the 'Ghost Recon'-s
Nexus: TJI
Freespace 1/2
Rome: TW (Sorta..)
Old Rainbow Six's
S.W.A.T. Series

Fallout: Tactics LAWLZ

bezimek

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
bezimek said:

I meant that just because a game is difficult and requires more input than point/shoot, doesn't mean it's tactical.

Gears of War is still a good game, just don't confuse it with actual "Tactical" games, that require strategy, planning, and.. well, tactics. It's more of a "quick-thinking action game".

Tactical Games:

Freespace 1/2
Old Rainbow Six's
S.W.A.T. Series

:lol:

I know what you are saying. I know that tactic and startegy means.I write may post about "Gears of war" to show that combat system in Mass Effect is (much) more action that tactical.

Your list looks ok but :

1.You forgot about "King of the Hil"l - "Jagged Alliance 1/2"

2. Silent Storm/ Sentinels - very good tactic games

3. Seal Team and Laser Sqd - old but interesting tactic games

4. UFO:AM/AS/AL - on tactic level plays good, too

Freespace 1/2 ?? it is space symulator just like X-wing, Tie_Fighter and Wing Commander 1-4 ( 5 sucks)

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - hmm you are commander of fregate and it is space-battle simulation IMHO.

DefJam101

Arcane
bezimek said:
DefJam101 said:
bezimek said:

Tactical Games:

Freespace 1/2
Old Rainbow Six's
S.W.A.T. Series

:lol:

I know what you are saying. I know that tactic and startegy means.I write may post about "Gears of war" to show that combat system in Mass Effect is (much) more action that tactical.

Your list looks ok but :

1.You forgot about "King of the Hil"l - "Jagged Alliance 1/2"

2. Silent Storm/ Sentinels - very good tactic games

3. Seal Team and Laser Sqd - old but interesting tactic games

4. UFO:AM/AS/AL - on tactic level plays good, too

Freespace 1/2 ?? it is space symulator just like X-wing, Tie_Fighter and Wing Commander 1-4 ( 5 sucks)

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - hmm you are commander of fregate and it is space-battle simulation IMHO.

Couldn't space combat simulators be considered tactical games? lol

Or would that just be an all-encompassing "strategy"?

bezimek

Scholar
Couldn't space combat simulators be considered tactical games? lol

Or would that just be an all-encompassing "strategy"?

I don`t know . All time I think about Descent Freespace 1/2 as a space combat simulators but ... there is something which we call "dogfight tactic" (Imelman) so maybe you have a point. But small one ;)

MasPingon

Arcane
ME's combat system is awesome. it's character system is awesome too. Add in some more non combat talents like sneak, and lore, and insight; and it be darn well perfect.

NOTE TO BIO: Fix the inventory, and add more C&C; and you'd be cretaing the (near) perfect game!

Somehow I knew this "review" would end like this. And I thought Gametrailers opinion was biased

Solaris

Scholar
Ok, I played just over 12 hrs so far and I'm reasonably happy with it.

Combat does indeed have some depth to it once you get further in. I'm not usually a fan of stop-go combat but the the combat wheel is decent enough and certainly helps for more interesting tactics. The enemy AI seems fine also. They get more challenging as you level (I'm playing on hard). I rolled a sentinel which are probably the weakesk class in the game in terms of armor and firepower but make up for it with utility. I tend to balance the party out with the soldier woman and either the biotics or tech companion.

As for the rest of the game, the production values are good (cutscenes, etc). The dialogue is decent but C&C is somewhat dissapointing. After the excellent Witcher C&C it was always going to be a letdown. Be hard to beat TW on that score. Missions/quests range from engaging to passe'. The planet exploration (apart from a few places) is seriously lacking in interest.

Not seen any real bugs, apart from teammates getting stuck occassionally...reminds me of the dodgy pathfinding in NWN2, but not as bad as that overall. Texture pop-in is common but usually only last a few secs which doesn't bother me. The inventory is definately very unintuitive but typical for console games....bleh

I'm taking my time exploring and doing a lot of sidequests and reading all the codex stuff, etc. Only about a third of the way through the game I think (going on what I've read elsewhere). So yeah, so far so good....probably last me 35+ hrs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Been doing some space travel. I really love the galaxy map. It easily puts KOTOR's to shame.

Now, the mako. Overall, this is fun though I still need time to get used to the controls as it can get weird. I die quite a bit driving it because of this. Still a lot of fun even if it leans super duper on the action part when you are in the mako.

Exploring random planets is kind of fun. They are a beauty to behold. i like that some planets are so dangerous that if you stay out of the mako too long you die plus you can't simply drive anywhere. For fun, I tried driving into lava. Auto death. Heh. I love the punk Joker chastizing you when you too far off the radar, and brings you back. The planets are a beauty to behold, and have to get repetive (of course, I've only done like 3 planets); but that could change when I do more.

It's a dissapointment that you can't really talk to your teammates while exploring planets though they do comment on what you see, and do interject in various conversations. I managed to resolve a hostage crisis with limited bloodshed, and reconcilation for all. Good stuff, there.

About 12 hours in, and still fun. Just remember it is a BIO game, and don't expect FO (or even MOTB) level C&C then you'll be alright.

Dark Matter

Prophet
The planets are indeed absolutely stunning to behold. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, my favorite(out of the ones that I explored) was this one planet that is constantly bombarded by meteors. But all the planets have a fantastic atmosphere. Despite what many of the reviews say, I thought exploring the planets with the mako was actually quite enjoyable.

Also, I think they did the right thing by not allowing us to get into conversations when you're outside, even if it's a bit annoying at times. I always thought it was a bit silly that you could get into these big conversations about your party member's lifestory while you were in the middle of a dangerous mission inside an enemy base or something. Although they probably should've let us talk to our teammates in a city like the Citadel.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Almost doubled my play time (about 23 hours now)since ther last update. Did a LOT of side quests/uncharted worlds, and just landed on the second plot planet.

Still, no really major long term consequences (though a few minor ones). What I like is how you can actually influence npcs (unlike Obsidian's games). People say there's not much convoing with the npcs; but I don't see it. It's njust not a sin your face (none of them yell at you to talk to you now *cough& Carth *cough*).

Ashley is a racist, and hates all alients yet i've been slowly able to get her to the see the light. Same with Garrus, and his constant need to do things his way.

I reject Ms. Blue Aliens' romantic interest. Heh. Thought she was gonna cry, and it made me a little sad. HA!

I love exploring uncharted worlds though there ar some problems. Why so bump, BIO? geez.. every world has super mountains. L0L And, so many frozen worlds. L0L I do agree that while in many ways unchartered worlds cna be repetive; the atmosphere is off the charts. I figure it take a long while to walk from one end to the other sans the MAKO.. if people wnat to (artiifically) increase their playtime.

Visiting the moon was fun as well as our area of the galaxy. Too bad it mainly involved heavy combat there. At leats I was rewarded with a special class. I am now an Operative.

Some neat things to keep in mind is that more than a few quests don't open up unless you complete another one which could explain why people miss some side quests. Also, side quests can involve your ethos, and background. Not to mention companions. I've done Garrus' thus far.

Again, it's a BIO game. It comes with all that entails. It's nowhere near FO in terms of C&C.. . so I doubt the really ahrdcore C&Cers.. where's it's C&C *or* detah will loathe the game. It shoudl be noted, hwoeever, that in order to see the best (and most interetsing quest outcomes) the dialogue talents are needed so that's a good thing.

P..S. Best combination of action + stat based combat ever.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I'm about as far in as Volourn (25 hours), and can pretty much echo everything he's said.

I'm pretty much sick of the sidequest/exploration planets, though. They've gotten very repetative. They honestly wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so much pointless driving around involved -- the planets are all a wide open space with about 3 things on them. Generally it takes 2 minutes to get from one to another, and 2 of the 3 things are 5-second loot/collect pickups. Meaning 6 minutes of driving over empty mountains, followed by a couple minutes of vehicle combat.

The vehicle combat itself is very dull, especially when compared to regular combat. You have machine gun, cannon, and jump, and it winds up being about as exciting as the KOTOR spacefight minigame.

Despite my complaints, however, I'm really enjoying the game. The on-foot combat is much more enjoyable, and blasting enemies with a shotgun shell to the gut is just good fun.

The quests, like Volourn said, are fairly standard Bioware fare, however the overall feel of the game does seem to be slightly more mature than their previous games. There hasn't been any of the adolescent whining or silly race/pazaak minigames, and some of the quests are morally quite ambiguous. For example:

One sidequest led me to find a spaceship full of researchers that had gone missing. When I arrived, the ship was completely empty except for one man in a coma, who was hooked up to medical equipment. Skipping some of the details, the end result is that you must decide whether to pull the plug.

Pull the plug, his suffering is eased, but he's dead.
Leave him alone, he has a chance for resuscitation, but he could be left to float in space for the rest of his life.

Neither option is specifically good nor bad. Unfortunately, there was no immediate outcome. I'm hoping that I'll be confronted by someone in the future (I haven't returned to the quest starter yet), otherwise it'll feel like a hollow decision.
[END SPOILER]

I should also note that there actually seems to be a lower focus on combat that I expected there to be. I spent about 9 of the first 10 hours in exploration and conversation -- and that's prior to leaving the starter town. The sidequest planets are purely action-driven, but the main quest is quite heavily focused on the story.

There also haven't (so far) been any of the lame "We have to stop him -- but first, collect the five magic rings" types of missions. All of the quests (even the frivolous sidequest ones) have a pretty solid purpose to them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
My character was alreayd inetrested in Asley, and is trying to curb her racist ways. L0L

The asari was nice enough... but, she's too 'chirpy' and 'sweet'... almost child like her innocence as well despite the fact she's a space explorer. L0L

Besdies, you gotta love a woman who can kick ass. Even if she is a HORRID dancer.

Neuro

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
It was definitely a refreshing change from the abysmally easy games that make up pretty much everything.

As a soldier the combat was challenging right at the beginning, but once you get a few levels its just plain easy. After a while I was running around without a care in the world. Once I found a decent heavy armor and an assault rifle that fit 3 mods (2 +damage +overheat, 1 +damage synthetics) the plot quests were a breeze. To be fair I did do minimal side questing. I'll do more on my second play through.

The biggest gripes I had were inventory management for your character and especially for equipping companions, and the texture loading. I don't think they do any hard drive caching like a some games do. The disc was constantly reading. If you ran around too fast you would hit small load pauses. That and game loading in textures from the disc as you are playing, so they go from ugly blobs to super detailed right before your very eyes. Not so bad during normal game play, but it bugged me during cut scenes.

Other gripes are mostly story related, but I don't want to be spoilerrific. I thought it was pretty decent game overall.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Just finished Noveria. I am a Rachni hero. Poor Blue Chick's mom aka Deanni Troi. More's the pity.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Yes I really enjoyed Noveria.
:Spoiler warning:
There are two choices that can be made here that have important resullts.
1. The first of course is to decide on whether to preserve the Rachni hive queen, and therefore the race. If she is preserved, the council will be more then a little preturbed, but thats what is such a cool delight that you're a Spectre, and have the power to make those kinds of decisions. The decisions are not weighted so much by concern over reprisal, but only by the result to the game world (or the imagination of what effect letting the Rachni survive will have). It would be very interesting if this decision on the Rachni carried over to the second game, where you may see them as an atoned race, or would they restart their conquering ways?

2. The second interesting choice is when you decide to help the sick scientists or not. If you do not help them, Dr. Valernious? will not give you his access pass to the maintenance area to reach Saren's Asari consort. Therefore you must find the secret entrance to the maintenance area. If you decide to go this route, all of theguards of Peak 15 will attack on sight, even the captain who was helping you out earlier.

Also, the mako runup the mountain trail is a pretty fun vehicle combat section. I was able to take out the heavy turrets and missle/shield Geth troops by using a similar shoot/cover tactic that you use in the regular person based combat: It is to hide behind cover, then use the jump jets to lift up ove rit, and while in the air blast the targets repeatedly. The mako will not last long if you just drive around without cover and try to shoot up to five targets simulataneously on this level.
:end spoiler:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom