Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What a surprise, dumb people like Command and Conquerer!

Atrokkus

Erudite
Never liked C&C titles, except for Dune 2, whom many people, for some reason, consider part of C&C, but that's a pretty unique case because, first, I was very young, and it was the first RTS ive ever played in my life, so of course it was majestic in my eyes. Plus, it had great Dune setting.
But stuff like Red Alert really turns me off. The pure ridiculusness of the whole story and this pseudo-quazi-real-history setting is just sucking camell's balls.
The controls and the gameplay was not very dynamic, quickly making me snore. Some weird urge to get the pseud-realistic feeling more often than not leads to a downgrade in overall gameplay and balance.

VasikkA

Liturgist
I think some people mix up genre with series. Fallout and Baldur's Gate belong to the same genre, that is isometric RPG. Yet they are built on a different setting, rules and pretty much everything else. Series, however, are all somehow connected with each other storywise. Series are often accombined by a number or by a lame 'Tactics' suffix. Note that the genre may vary within the series.

A spiritual predecessor/successor should not be confused with series. They could function as role models or influence the game design choices in the game, but are not of any essential relevance in-game.

Of course, I'm only stating the obvious and if you don't comply with me, may you perish in a horrible enema accident.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The first Command & Conquer wasn't bad at all considering the competition it had at the time. The problem is that Westwood really never managed to innovate the genre better than anyone else. Red Alert and Red Alert 2 were decent, and probably the closest Westwood came to making a truly great RTS after the original C&C.

The big problem with Westwood is they were throwbacks from the 8bit age. Back then, wacky concepts stood a chance. That's how we got a great and nifty game like NOX, but also why they gave us Sole Survivor.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
What do you mean by wacky concepts? I have never played Sole Survivor, in fact I had never heard of it. What is it?

I thought NOX was awesome, except that it was sadly very short.

Deathy

Liturgist
Sole Survivor is the C&C game they don't want you to know about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom