Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What a surprise, dumb people like Command and Conquerer!

LlamaGod

Cipher
<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.gamezone.com">Gamezone.com</a> has recently finished a review of the uberpack <a href="http://www.ea.com/official/cc/firstdecade/us/index.jsp">Command and Conquerer: The First Decade.</a>
Here's a few snippits:

<blockquote>Command and Conquer The First Decade is probably the best compilation of games from any genre all in one DVD. The C&C series started back in 1995 with Command and Conquer, which at the time was one of the few, if not the only real-time strategy type games. They paved the way into gamer's hearts offering not only exciting game play but offered titles that had great graphics, compelling storylines, exceptional acting and fantastic sound effects and music. These attributes provided the groundwork for some of the best titles in the industry and a fan base like no other.</blockquote>
My theory stands: nobody liked C&C for gameplay but yet for everything else.

As a side note, i've realized every time a game has horrible gameplay and reviewers still want to hype the game up that they always call the bad gameplay "exciting" inplace of various negative adjectives. "Exciting" Real Time Gameplay, indeed.

Anyways, lets move on to the Gameplay score, since it is the essential core of a strategy game:

<blockquote>Gameplay: 9.0

After the initial set up it’s a snap to get on with the gaming. All the games are on one DVD, which eliminates fumbling around with different CD’s. Even if you own a few of the titles it's worth picking this up and having them all. I have always been a fan of the series because playing was very easy with a small learning curve and adjustable options. The storylines are epic in their own right and Westwood has made it a practice to use some real Hollywood actors, which proves that they take great measures to make a good game into a great game.
</blockquote>
As we all know, Gameplay is measured by packaging, leaning curve, storyline and B-movie acting.

As another side note, why is 'Gameplay' always one division while all non-gameplay elements have their own specific ones? Shouldn't it be 'Gameplay/Non-Gameplay'? Why doesn't anyone ever break Gameplay down? Oh you silly wanna-be IGN sites, when will you ever learn?

Read the rest of this "exciting" review <a href="http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r28138.htm">here.</a>

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Shut up jew, the C&C series gave us a few good titles. Well, entertaining and simple titles which you can play whatever state your head is in.

Calis

Pensionado
Naked_Lunch said:
Dune 2 wasn't a command and conquer game. And it wasn't that good either, certainly hasn't aged very well.
The music and the fact that it was Dune made up for a lot. Buying my first Soundblaster card and firing up Dune 2 is still one of my historic "wow" moments in PC gaming history. Get your hands off my nostalgia already.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Naked_Lunch said:
Dune 2 wasn't a command and conquer game. And it wasn't that good either, certainly hasn't aged very well.

Dune 2 was the first Command and Conquer game. And no, it hasn't aged well. It's still the best in the series.

Calis

Pensionado
kingcomrade said:
Dune 2 was the first Command and Conquer game.
Just because the original Command and Conquer was marketed as the successor to Dune 2 (and probably had some developer overlap, though I am too lazy to check mobygames) doesn't mean it's part of the same series.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Sure it does. It's the same style of game, with the same mechanics, made by the same company, with nearly the same units. It's part of the series. I mean, unless you are going to tell me that "spin-offs" like Red Alert aren't part of the series either?

Dune 2 is the first game in the C&C franchise, it just doesn't have C&C in the title.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I don't. Total Annihilation is the "spiritual sucessor". Are Wasteland and Fallout part of the same series? No. Or BioShock and System Shock the same? No.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Why not? Same developer, same idea, probably same basic game mechanics. Who said anything about being the same? A spiritual successor just means that he doesn't have the rights to the name and so he had to make up a new one. As far as I'm concerned, Supreme Commander might as well be called TA2: Supreme Commander, the same way Dune 2 might as well be called Command and Conquer: Dune 2.

BioShock and System Shock are part of the same series because they're basically building on the same idea, the game game mechanics, etc.

Wasteland does NOT share game mechanics or interface or anything else with Fallout.

Dune 2 shares almost everything with Command and Conquer. The map screen, the building interface, the buildings themselves, the units, the way units move in the game, the cutscenes, the conventions...

I'm surprised you guys are being so anal about what is in a series and what isn't. Is it just because I'm the one who said it?

Calis

Pensionado
kingcomrade said:
I'm surprised you guys are being so anal about what is in a series and what isn't. Is it just because I'm the one who said it?
Not really, but this discussion is dumb and you are wrong.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
How am I wrong? Are you telling me that Dune 2 isn't the game Westwood made right before C&C, with the same interface, the same game mechanics, the same cheesy LARPing cutscenes, the same province-by-province campaign map, the same base building scheme, the same units, the same etc. ??

Shagnak

Shagadelic
kingcomrade said:
BioShock and System Shock are part of the same series because they're basically building on the same idea, the game game mechanics, etc.
MoH and CoD build on the same idea, the same mechanics, the same units, OMFG they are set in the same era. They even share some of the same developers.
OMG, they're the same series! What a fool I've been!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What's with the temper tantrum? What the hell is wrong with you lately, Shagnak?

MoH and CoD *are* part of the same series. They're developed by the same team, they do share game mechanics, etc. CoD was built on the foundation of MoH (not literally, conceptually). They even use the same engine.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
No. One is the MoH series. One is the CoD series.

There is a difference between "they might as well be part of the same series" due to sharing a lot, and "they are part of the same series".

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that such subtle nuances are beyond your comprehension.

Either that, or you are trolling.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
One is the MoH series. One is the CoD series.
Compelling argument, not.
You're hardly one to accuse others of slippery comprehension.
There is a difference between "they might as well be part of the same series" due to sharing a lot, and "they are part of the same series".
Really? Because in the world I live in, when something "might as well be" something else, it effectively is. I'm sorry I offended your dogmatic sensibilities by suggesting that there is some sort of relationship between games which are produced by the same companies, in order after one another, built upon the ideas and successes of previous titles. Then again, those subtle nuances will always get ya, huh? :roll: I guess this is going to keep me out of the TC Kool Kidz Klub.

I'm going to ask again, what's with the hostility? Or is the idea that Dune 2 is part of the C&C series just so horribly blasphemous? Or are you just trying to emulate the Codex Hive Mind, with typically dismal results, as has always been the case with TC?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Or are you just trying to emulate the Codex Hive Mind, with typically dismal results, as has always been the case with TC?
Yet you still post here LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLIPOP

I think Shag is "pissed" at you because you're a goddamn dumbfuck, KC. Any semblance of sanity or logic you might have had was completely shattered by saying that MoH and CoD were the same series. Why, I guess Doom and Quake are the same series, right? Just because games share similarities doesn't automatically make them part of a series, no, it's make them part of a genre. A series is a continuation of the brand. Thus, System Shock 3 would be a part of the System Shock series, but BioShock is a completely different brand (and shares different gameplay elements it seems, but is still alike at the core) and thus is not a part of the SS series.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Naked_Lunch said:

Have you played both Dune 2 and Command and Conquer? Have you played both MoH and CoD? The only real difference between CoD and MoH is a slightly different engine (both are Q3 based), the ability to lean, and iron sights. Otherwise they're both linear WW2 shooters with continuously respawning enemies, squadmates (one game has improved AI), heavy scripting, etc. All of these they have in common because they were both developed by the same studio, which was figuratively upgrading the MoH design docs and giving it a new name.

You are correct, Doom and Quake are not part of the same series. Quake was not built on the mechanics behind Doom. They certainly don't play alike, as you could say about CoD and MoH, or Dune 2 and C&C, or say Warcraft 2 and Starcraft (but not Starcraft and Warcraft 3). I could certainly argue, however, that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are part of the same series of games. I am not talking superficial resemblances, which is, as you said, how you define a genre. I don't know, maybe those examples weren't so good as you guys might not follow FPS development as closely as I do.

Maybe you just just define series differently than I do. I personally group together games in a family even if they don't happen to have the same name in the title, which is apparently the big stumbling block for you complex nuanced folk. "The phrase 'Total Annihilation' doesn't show up in the title to Supreme Commander, therefore it can't possibly be in the same series!," especially when the guy who runs GPG has already stated that he intends Supreme Commander to be a successor to TA, remind me again who is the sophisticate and who is the simpleton?
A series is a continuation of a brand
First of all, I disagree, but even by that argument Dune 2 is part of the C&C franchise and BioShock is part of the System Shock series. If you took a total noob and showed him Dune 2, then let him play C&C, he's going to come to the conclusion that C&C is a spin-off or something like that of Dune 2.

By the way, take a chill pill, guys. You guys get worked up over meaningless trivialities. I think Dune 2 is part of the C&C series? ZOMG LETS ALL HAVE A FUCKING SPAZ ATTACK!!! I was asking Shag because he's been throwing childish little comments at me for like a week (which is different from you or llama, who have been doing it since I got here...out of jealousy for my good looks and general superiosity, no doubt).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom