Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game engine would you like to see used in an rpg?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If this topic is mainly about graphic whoring, I'd like to see Unigine used in an RPG.

Personally I'd be content as long as it's not gamebryo. In all my years of gaming I've never encountered anything nearly as unstable as gamebryo.

Ancient

Erudite
Hirato said:
Personally I'd be content as long as it's not gamebryo. In all my years of gaming I've never encountered anything nearly as unstable as gamebryo.

If stability and other tech. issues would be fixed and some other things improved gamebryo could be one hell of an engine.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to see more RPGs done in the Source engine, or maybe one in the CryEngine they used for Crysis. Both would be perfect for a first/third person action RPG. Imagine something like Morrowind in the CryEngine. Beautiful.

For something isometric, I'd actually like to see the Infinity Engine back. I really like that one for some reason.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:
I'd like to see more RPGs done in the Source engine, or maybe one in the CryEngine they used for Crysis. Both would be perfect for a first/third person action RPG. Imagine something like Morrowind in the CryEngine. Beautiful.

I'd like to see anything use the Cryengine 2 or 3 other than Crysis, that would be nice. Cryengine 3 is supposedly more console friendly so maybe if Crysis 2 is a console hit we will see some use of it after that by third parties. It would be nice.

MapMan

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
JarlFrank said:

I'd like to see anything use the Cryengine 2 or 3 other than Crysis, that would be nice. Cryengine 3 is supposedly more console friendly so maybe if Crysis 2 is a console hit we will see some use of it after that by third parties. It would be nice.

The reason there was almost no games made on cryengine 2 is because it was PC only. Now that they're going multiplatform you can already check out some trailers for games on cryengine 3.

This was posted here once already but I suppose some people missed it and there is a lot of new stuff so here goes:

Crysis___Game_Environment___01_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___10_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___05_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___06_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___08_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___07_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___09_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___02_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___11_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___20_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___13_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___29_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___28_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___03_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___26_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___25_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___14_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___24_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___15_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___21_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___22_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___19_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___12_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___23_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___18_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___16_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___27_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___04_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___30_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Crysis___Game_Environment___17_by_MadMaximus83.jpg

Data4

Arcane
Dragula said:
The Dragon Age engine. The first one, that had isometric perspective.

If you're referring to the old development screenshots, that was the NWN engine. They used it for storyboarding concepts.

Oh and HOLY IMAGE FLOOD. Those are pretty, but I think they were purposely done as still images using the CryEngine's renderer. A game with that much detail in fluid motion would choke a Cray.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lockkaliber said:
On the contrary, I think they said that they made it specifically to use for their RPG's.
If one wants to refer to canceled Mass Effect with Xenomorphs and Dungeon Siege 3 as such.

kingcomrade said:
Unreal Engine 3. It looks pretty and it runs well.
What? No. No no no no no. No. UE3 is almost always ugly and almost always requires levels to be divided into small sections. And it's an engine built for linear shooters so it sucks for RPGs, Bioware/Obsidian had to do a lot of overhauling to get it to do RPG-like things (and stuffs) and the latter didn't do it nearly well enough.

racofer

Thread Incliner
"What? No. No no no no no. No. UE3 is almost always ugly and almost always requires levels to be divided into small sections. "

Bullshit and lies. Mass Effect 1 levels were fucking huge and seamless.

Your argument just proves you know nothing about the engine and you simply regurgitate bullshit you heard over the internet about it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
"Mass Effect 1 levels were fucking huge and seamless."

That and the load times between levels was short. UE3 is the best possible engine this gen for any first/third person perspective game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
racofer said:
Bullshit and lies. Mass Effect 1 levels were fucking huge and seamless.

Your argument just proves you know nothing about the engine and you simply regurgitate bullshit you heard over the internet about it.
No, just using my own experiences with AP, Arkham Asylum and the like. Wasn't ME criticized for its long elevator scenes which were there to disguise the loading times? I dunno, I did say "almost always" in case someone managed to make it not-shit. Which it is normally.

racofer

Thread Incliner
"Wasn't ME criticized for its long elevator scenes which were there to disguise the loading times?"

The elevator scenes where long as to cover the loading times for the xbox version of the game. On the PC the loading times were usually 5 to 10 seconds at most, and if Bioware had taken the time to adapt the elevator scenes for the length of the loading times they'd have been much shorter.

MapMan

Arcane
Data4 said:
Oh and HOLY IMAGE FLOOD. Those are pretty, but I think they were purposely done as still images using the CryEngine's renderer. A game with that much detail in fluid motion would choke a Cray.

nope-3976_preview.png

According to the guy who made it:

On my old "Intel Quadcore 6600" (using a "Ati Radeon HD 4870" graphic card) the map runs fine (System -> Win7 64 bit with high graphic specs ingame). The fps are between 13 and 26 frames. They would be even better if i spent more time on optimization, but since this project is just for visual demonstration i focussed more on design than on performance.

Data4

Arcane
MapMan said:
Data4 said:

nope-3976_preview.png

According to the guy who made it:

On my old "Intel Quadcore 6600" (using a "Ati Radeon HD 4870" graphic card) the map runs fine (System -> Win7 64 bit with high graphic specs ingame). The fps are between 13 and 26 frames. They would be even better if i spent more time on optimization, but since this project is just for visual demonstration i focussed more on design than on performance.

Add in some kind of scripting for NPCs, plus the NPCs themselves and it would come to a screeching halt. 13-26 fps doesn't leave much surplus for overhead.

MapMan

Arcane
nope-3976_preview.png

The NPCs wouldnt make much difference, if any. The fact that the fps is so low is because most of the meshes are made by him and arent exactly low poly. I bet he could cut the triangles count by like 1/3 and do some in engine optimizations to make it perfectly playable. If you don't believe me then check the crymod forums, sometimes people let you download such maps to try it out on your own. There is some really jaw dropping material.

Data4

Arcane
MapMan said:
nope-3976_preview.png

The NPCs wouldnt make much difference, if any. The fact that the fps is so low is because most of the meshes are made by him and arent exactly low poly. I bet he could cut the triangles count by like 1/3 and do some in engine optimizations to make it perfectly playable. If you don't believe me then check the crymod forums, sometimes people let you download such maps to try it out on your own. There is some really jaw dropping material.

Doesn't really matter to me. You're the one who seems to have a vested interest in all of this, what with the oh-so witty Derp Fortress picture and all.

denizsi

Arcane
For most engines out there, none here could notice a thing if several 3d games swapped engines. Engines don't make games and with the right quality of assets, engines used by the crappiest looking game could leave you in awe. There are few engines that set themselves apart on a graphically noticeable way.

Rancen

Educated
ARMA 2 engine.

arma_2_415102050.jpg

arma-2-01.jpg

arma_2_screenshot.jpg

ARMA2_ingame_screenshot_0209_6_png_jpgcopy.jpg

Cryengine 3 looks less realistic, than this one - for example its like Oblivion to Witcher in comparsion. Above Mapman's screens is a good example.

Data4

Arcane
denizsi said:
For most engines out there, none here could notice a thing if several 3d games swapped engines. Engines don't make games and with the right quality of assets, engines used by the crappiest looking game could leave you in awe. There are few engines that set themselves apart on a graphically noticeable way.

This. I'm quite sure unmodded, stock Gamebryo could be molded by a developer and used to make a fine RPG if the development talent is there. Citing New Vegas here would be a non-starter, since Obsidian used the Bethesda-ized version.

Suchy

Arcane
Rancen said:
ARMA 2 engine.
:imgflood:
Cryengine 3 looks less realistic, than this one - for example its like Oblivion to Witcher in comparsion. Above Mapman's screens is a good example.
This.
For the ability to support literally thousands of AIs in a huge seamless world.
Also looks good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU&fmt=22

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom