Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game engine would you like to see used in an rpg?

Data4 said:
denizsi said:
For most engines out there, none here could notice a thing if several 3d games swapped engines. Engines don't make games and with the right quality of assets, engines used by the crappiest looking game could leave you in awe. There are few engines that set themselves apart on a graphically noticeable way.

This. I'm quite sure unmodded, stock Gamebryo could be molded by a developer and used to make a fine RPG if the development talent is there. Citing New Vegas here would be a non-starter, since Obsidian used the Bethesda-ized version.

No doubt, but that is not a very practical point. Developers do not have unlimited time or resources. Developers are flawed. They have a limit to their talents and vision, and giving a developer one engine over another at the beginning of the development process would very likely end up with a noticeably different result. That is the point here.

We can talk theoretically about code all we want but the people using it and the circumstances in which they use it (skill, experience, money etc) are going to make the big difference to the end result. This is as much a matter of how easy it is for a developer to achieve a particular result as it is a matter of what they are starting with. On that basis it is still a valid discussion.

Besides it is interesting to talk about you smart arses :rpgcodex:

MapMan

Arcane
False. Game engines give a specific look and feel to a game. Ofcourse everything can be changed but developers dont license engines to spend months tweaking the engine. They want to buy it and jump right into the content creation and writing the game mechanics code. Thats why one can almost instantly guess if a game is made on UE3 or Source or something else.

The arma 2 engine looks quite good but I'm not sure if an rpg would play good on it. I'd still go with cryengine 2.

ortucis

Prophet
Hopefully Bethesda or everyone under Zenimax will switch to idTech 5 (RAGE) engine.

Other than that, I still haven't seen a proper RPG done on UE3 for PC at least (don't know if there is one for consoles, probably is). I remember playing The Last Remnant on PC, a JRPG made in UE3. It was sort of fun but I never finished it (not much to do but fight, fight and more fight unlike games like Grandia 2 where they at least had interesting characters).

On the side note I am using UDK for my "Survival Horror RPG" and have UE3 games references to avoid "GOW look" people complain about (not to mention I have a streaming world setup like Oblivion, no loading even when going in and out of houses.. so far).

Rancen

Educated
MapMan said:
The arma 2 engine looks quite good but I'm not sure if an rpg would play good on it. I'd still go with cryengine 2.
Well, at least its possible to make adventure game even with editor. RPG stats will require additional scripts probably or maybe even recoding the engine.

denizsi

Arcane
Rancen said:
ARMA 2 engine.

arma_2_415102050.jpg

arma-2-01.jpg

arma_2_screenshot.jpg

Whers mah ARE-PEE-GEE using Arma engine? Whyte men keeping mah ARE-PEE-GEEs down!

Cryengine 3 looks less realistic, than this one - for example its like Oblivion to Witcher in comparsion. Above Mapman's screens is a good example.

CryEngine 3 looks less realistic CryEngine 2, to being with, thanks to consolization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom