Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What makes a RPG DULL ?

Imbecile

Arbiter
RPGs that try to be other art forms i.e Films or Books
Incredibly non-intuitive UIs
Linearity
Lack of control
Fed-ex Quests and repetition
Dull art design.
Dullness
Short attention spans
Buying the hype
Preconceptions

Zomg

Arbiter
Having rote, underdesigned gameplay elements. I think I called it Cargo Cult game design at some point. Why the fuck do the Baldur's Gate and Baldur's-Gate-a-like games have traps slathered all over the twisty corridor dungeons? They never provide any interest of any kind and on top of that they actively interfere with the already shitty RTw/P AI which the player must micromanage to keep the party from stampeding over detected traps. Clearly, no one ever considered why the fuck they were bothering to implement it.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Hiding the one character you have to meet to set off the mainquest so you won´t find him.

Using verbose directions instead of arrows and GPS.

Turn-based combat that takes forever to kill five mutated ants.

Not having at least one anthropomorphic beast race with fur and a tail.

Not being able to kill children, rape the corpes, cut them up and sell the meat to their parents.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Derek Larp said:
Hiding the one character you have to meet to set off the mainquest so you won´t find him.

Using verbose directions instead of arrows and GPS.

Turn-based combat that takes forever to kill five mutated ants.

Not having at least one anthropomorphic beast race with fur and a tail.

Not being able to kill children, rape the corpes, cut them up and sell the meat to their parents.
I c wut u did thar.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"Hiding the one character you have to meet to set off the mainquest so you won´t find him."

what game is this

Redeye

Arcane
Lack of a food meter.

Lack of flamethrowers.

Presence of elves. (unless you can use flamethrowers on them)

Implementing "mature" content in the form of thongs and swearing instead of in the form of intelligent dialogue and living world.

Handholding.

Magic.

GPS/etc.

What makes a RPG DULL ?

1. Massive amounts of mortal combat. Can RPGs grow out of killing things and being a walking engine of destruction already? Adolescence was fun and all, but seriously...

2. Retarded puzzles that solve themselves. Buy every single Myst-clone there is. Buy every single puzzle-fest adventure there is. Study the puzzle design. Now copy it in your dungeon. Now make skill-checks give me clues if i want or need. Is it really THAT hard?

3. Loot, loot, loot. "I genocided an underground society and all i got was this lousy combat bonus." Seriously: I don't care for spell scrolls, i don't care for weapon modifiers, i don't care for armor class, i don't care for chests full of gold coins. Can we mature already? Thank you.

4. Shallow dialogue. Again, a hint: Take all the effort you put in making +5 daggers of chain-reacting supernovas and ridiculous amounts of combat encounters. I don't want to spend half an hour killing orcs. I want to spend half an hour discussing shit with interesting characters and trying to convince them of some random shit, being unsure of which among thirty diferent dialogue options is the one who will not result in my game geting terminally screwed.

5. Social encounters that solve themselves. "Click here to apply Diplomacy and win". No, thank you. Use skill checks to activate new, deep, complex dialogue trees and then leave the player to navigate those new options all by himself, get screwed, and two days laters notice he can't win the game. If i wanted to care only about mathematical probabilities i would be playing Blackjack, not a bloody cRPG.

Disconnected

Scholar
A game is fun if it can preserve the crack monkey appeal. Because that's what they do; induce a desire and promise to sate it, if you keep pressing the buttons.

It's mostly the same one or two basic things that go wrong when games aren't fun, whether they're cRPGs or not.

The most common one, I think, is cheating with the incentives. Or put another way; making the player not want the crack. Games always establish some sort of reference for the experience of playing it. Sort of like how it's understood you can't enjoy a novel in your home theatre. Doom3 and Oblivion are both great examples of this problem. It's not that that what they do sucks, it's what they make the player expect & can't deliver that sucks.

The slightly less common one, I think, is managing to fuck up the player's access to the "gimme crack" button. X3 is a stellar example of this. But I've already gone on about this at length elsewhere.

All too often though, it's a combination. The NWN2 OC, for example, promises high fantasy, story-centric, party-based gameplay with memorable party members. Yet the party members ranges from bad high fantasy cliché to something I'd expect to be the domain of bad TV series aimed at American high school kids. I can deal with the former, but what the fuck is the latter doing in my high fantasy game?! It's about as appropriate as having the population of Neverwinter drive around in nuclear-powered cars. And don't even get me started on the fucking interface...

Derek Larp

Cipher
Jaime Lannister said:
"Hiding the one character you have to meet to set off the mainquest so you won´t find him."

what game is this

A game where you start off as a weakling wanker, but in reality you are the chosen one and you have to fight the ancient evil.

Edit: Oh and I forgot it has several elven subraces.

Vibalist

Arcane
Origin stories. Fucking Origin Stories that make these morons think that bioware
are going to spend oceans of time altering the game in all sorts of ways to make it fit every origin, when they
can get away with making minor changes that lead to 1 small sidequest along the
way and a couple of characters making
a quick remark about your "unique" past. As if the whole main quest is going to change
significantly just because you choose to play as Legolas the fucking woodland fairy who
grew up in the mysterious forest to the east rather than Aragorn the rugged hero who spend his youth in service
of the mighty king (with that fucking fake accent)

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Derek Larp said:
Balmora%20-%20Caius%20Cosades.jpg

Redeye

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Heh, I wasn't around for all the "WHERE'S CAIUS" whining. But still, duh.

You can win Morrowind without doing the Main Quest.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
clearing a lair full of crap over n over
see: NWN 2 & Arcanum

lack of C&C , railroaded content
see: Most JRPG (usually saved by writing if not, total fail) and Bethesda main quests are one way street.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bethseda."

4 THA W.

SOZ

Tiny 'dungeons'

TINY 'dungeons'

tiny 'DUNGEONS'

TINY 'DUNGEONS'

xuerebx

Erudite
OccupatedVoid said:
Derek Larp said:

How can anyone find it a hard time to find him is beyond me. Just ask around the village and you'll get pointed to his house IIRC. Or just open up the map and put your cursor over the small boxes, till you find his house.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
xuerebx said:
OccupatedVoid said:
Derek Larp said:

How can anyone find it a hard time to find him is beyond me. Just ask around the village and you'll get pointed to his house IIRC. Or just open up the map and put your cursor over the small boxes, till you find his house.

Exactly. I was about 15 when I first played Morrowind and didn't speak as good English as I do now, and I still had no problem whatsoever with finding Caius. What's it with people who can't find him? Just look at the fucking doors, you immediately see who lives inside.

Those morons are responsible for shit like the compass, bah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom