Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What makes a RPG DULL ?

xuerebx

Erudite
Yes it's true, the compass was created because of a lot of whining that it was difficult to find the objectives. I was 15 too, and my English was horrible, but I still could follow basic directions.

And it was fun too (though I admit sometimes directions were a bit vague).

Worm King

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
xuerebx said:
OccupatedVoid said:
Derek Larp said:
Hiding the one character you have to meet to set off the mainquest so you won´t find him.
Balmora%20-%20Caius%20Cosades.jpg

How can anyone find it a hard time to find him is beyond me. Just ask around the village and you'll get pointed to his house IIRC. Or just open up the map and put your cursor over the small boxes, till you find his house.

Exactly. I was about 15 when I first played Morrowind and didn't speak as good English as I do now, and I still had no problem whatsoever with finding Caius. What's it with people who can't find him? Just look at the fucking doors, you immediately see who lives inside.

Those morons are responsible for shit like the compass, bah.

To be sure, constantly opening the journal and wandering around the land looking for something wasn't exactly the highlight of my Morrowind experience.

Derek Larp said:
Not being able to kill children, rape the corpes, cut them up and sell the meat to their parents.

Are you crazy?? :shock: :shock:

Selling all that delicious young meat to someone who won't even enjoy it's taste!

Claw said:
David Xachaturian said:
You know, the title I was thinking of when I typed the "shallow and overhyped" part has two O's in it. :)
KotoR?

Good guess. :D

Fat Dragon said:
Claw said:
David Xachaturian said:
You know, the title I was thinking of when I typed the "shallow and overhyped" part has two O's in it. :)
KotoR?
Oblivion?
I am torn... :lol:

Disconnected said:
The NWN2 OC, for example, promises high fantasy, story-centric, party-based gameplay with memorable party members. Yet the party members ranges from bad high fantasy cliché to something I'd expect to be the domain of bad TV series aimed at American high school kids. I can deal with the former, but what the fuck is the latter doing in my high fantasy game?!

You should really play NWN 1 (ONE) OC, the sequel shines in comparison to that blah of a story.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Heh, I wasn't around for all the "WHERE'S CAIUS" whining. But still, duh.

I was. I still don't understand how can anyone be so retarded to not find a man that just stays at his own home going nowhere in a city with 3 small streets and when you look at his door there the tip shows you that it is his home.

mondblut

Arcane
Lame/primitive game mechanics, crappy/action-y combat and boring/lack of exploration make an RPG suck or cease being an RPG at all.

Worm King

Scholar
I'll throw something that bothers me most about Bio games: absence of ambition. They have been making the same RPG since the 90s without adding anything new to the genre. Obsidian, making sequels, tries to at least impress former fans by adding new features which, at least for me, gives major incite to replay.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Worm King said:
I'll throw something that bothers me most about Bio games: absence of ambition. They have been making the same RPG since the 90s without adding anything new to the genre.
Well, if the retards are willing to say that Mass Effect has "teh bestest story in vidja gaem evar", I doubt they feel like they need to do much.

Ebonsword

Arcane
David Xachaturian said:
Funny thing is, the panacea to all these flaws is a great writer. You won't notice broken balance and boring combat much, when there's a story and characters and setting that keep you going. And it doesn't work the other way around, I think.

Hmm, not true, I'd say. Temple of Elemental Evil had rather bad writing and non-existant characters, but it was still fun because of the awesome combat engine.

Thrasher

Erudite
True - there was variety in the combat. What kills RPGs is

mindless repetition

mindless repetition

mindless repetition

mindless repetition

mindless repetition

mindless repetition

mindless repetition

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom