Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to play? What about the mods?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just play Shadow of Chernobyl, then play Call of Prypiat.

And then thank us all for the incredible good time you had with both games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Best out of shit maybe.
From what I saw it has the cheapest design out of all 3.
If Clear Sky was original content cut out from SoC so they could sell it as a separate game after making most of the original dev team leave - CoP is made by some stupid amateurs. Maps with grass and boxes. And bots still spawn out of thin air 5 meters away from you.

Why would anyone want to play this shit anyway?

What's so good about Stalker? Maps are small, empty, bots are dumb and spawn out of nowhere and finally weapon ballistics are retarded. I never understood what's so special people find in it. Running around the map, having nothing to do but shoot bots that take I out of AI? And shooting isn't even fun because weapons can barely hit anything 50 meters away while bots can take several shots to the head before they die. Exploration? Oh look I found a pile of junk behind that corner, that's totally different from the pile of junk I found in the other corner of the map 100m away near the magical 30 cm high fence that blocks every living being from moving further. Best game evar

praetor

Arcane
Jaesun said:
praetor said:
MetalCraze said:

skyway being skyway... again :lol:

Exactly. In that he is actually correct.

you cannot be serious... his post is so full of lies and bullshit (just like 95% of the rest of his almost 15k) it wouldn't take more than 30mins of playing to debunk almost all of it. you can dislike a game all you want (yes, even without playing it), just don't make up easily disprovable bullshit to hate it for hating sake (like he usually does)

MetalCraze

Arcane
praetor said:
you cannot be serious... his post is so full of lies and bullshit (just like 95% of the rest of his almost 15k) it wouldn't take more than 30mins of playing to debunk almost all of it. you can dislike a game all you want (yes, even without playing it), just don't make up easily disprovable bullshit to hate it for hating sake (like he usually does)

You could've just written:
"You are just wrong! I can't tell why but you are wrong baaaawww"

Too much effort for butthurt, man.
I mean you could've "easily disproved" at least some of my "bullshit" instead of crying.

torpid

Liturgist
Once you realize the only FPS that Skyway approves of is OFP/Arma, you can then safely ignore his comments.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
deuxhero said:
Click on "previous page" for a link and some information about it in one of my posts.

Shouldn't Steam automatically update me to the latest official patch?
In SoC's case this may not be a great idea, as 1.006 had some security issues. People usually recommend 1.004 for best stability, but I find 1.005+ZRP to work flawlessly and buglessly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Metro said:
Jaesun said:
praetor said:
MetalCraze said:

skyway being skyway... again :lol:

Exactly. In that he is actually correct.

He's correct in that his take on the Stalker series is the polar opposite of yours?
What's so good about Stalker? Maps are small, empty, bots are dumb and spawn out of nowhere and finally weapon ballistics are retarded. I never understood what's so special people find in it. Running around the map, having nothing to do but shoot bots that take I out of AI? And shooting isn't even fun because weapons can barely hit anything 50 meters away while bots can take several shots to the head before they die. Exploration? Oh look I found a pile of junk behind that corner, that's totally different from the pile of junk I found in the other corner of the map 100m away near the magical 30 cm high fence that blocks every living being from moving further. Best game evar

I cannot find any fault in what he says above at all. Regardless of his assessment of the STALKER series, I personally still enjoyed SoC and CoP a great deal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Okay, that clarifies it. Yeah, I'm sure the game has its faults but I'll grab the two for the $5 sale.

deuxhero

Arcane
Sceptic said:
deuxhero said:
Click on "previous page" for a link and some information about it in one of my posts.

Shouldn't Steam automatically update me to the latest official patch?
In SoC's case this may not be a great idea, as 1.006 had some security issues. People usually recommend 1.004 for best stability, but I find 1.005+ZRP to work flawlessly and buglessly.

Security issues?

How do I override Steam then? It hasn't finished DLing and I turned automatic updates off.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Moot point. You won't be able to download anything but the latest patched version from the Steam client.

deuxhero

Arcane
Can I roll back by installing a previous patch or something?

edit: looks like all this is moot. Steam lacks the .?6 and is at .?5 (though this info may be outdated, it appears in a 2008 post). Anyway to check?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah it says Steam only uses .0005 as that was the only official one. Moreover, even if it did use .0006 the security issue is only relevant if you play multiplayer.

bhlaab

Erudite
DraQ said:
Isn't Steam version a steaming turd for some reason I can no longer remember?

Nah

I'm replaying Clear Sky right now (with Clear Sky Complete, which doesn't really change much gameplay-wise). While it is the weak link in the series, I think it's better than its reputation. Worth a play if you like the other two, just don't expect the faction wars to function properly.

deuxhero

Arcane
How do I install ZRP on a steam verison?

edit: bigger issues. SoC won't work! I get the small little logo card before a please wait box which quickly disappears, but nothing happens and task manager says there is nothing running (but I didn't get any errors) tried -nosound (like a quick google suggests) and it still doesn't work CoP does work just fine.

edit edit: rebooting fixed it (well it made steam get me an update, but doesn't matter, it works)

edit edit edit: I'll just install as part of Stalker Complete, now I have an issue about that. It wants my aspect ratio but my 5:4 1280/1024 isn't on there.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
From Draq's description it sounds like each game was an improvement on the last. I didn't like the underground labs in the original, and I was never big on "creepy atmosphere." I prefer more interesting outdoor environments and whatever faction mechanics the game can offer. And actual C&C? Yeah, sign me up for that as well if it exists.

Btw, what does "MG" and "NV" stand for?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom