Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to play? What about the mods?

DraQ

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
From Draq's description it sounds like each game was an improvement on the last.
Believe me, it's not the case. Depending on what you like CoP might be considered an improvement over SoC, it's certainly more polished and has 'richer' mechanics.
CS, OTOH, is mostly stuck in the derp zone between SoC and CoP and is unfinished and buggy as fuck.

I didn't like the underground labs in the original, and I was never big on "creepy atmosphere." I prefer more interesting outdoor environments and whatever faction mechanics the game can offer.
Outdoor environments in CS consist of revisiting SoC areas, large-ish swamp at the beginning, new section of Red Forest (actually creepy but prone CTDing in certain spots prompting you to return to pre-RF save).

Faction mechanics is in, it's also the only source of C&C in CS.
C&C are a much bigger part of CoP.

Unless you are starved for STALKER run&gun action, you might consider skipping CS, or not removing it from an inventory.

trym88

Scholar
Is ClearSky playable and fun after all those patches it got ?

trym88

Scholar
Two questions: How about the system requirements? Are they still the same with those complete mods ? And how about combining Zone Reclamation Project + Sky Reclamation Project + Complete Mod ?

I only ever tried vanilla (patched) CS and vanilla CS + Complete and the performance, as far as I can tell, isn't very different. My Core 2 Duo T9300 / GeForce 8600M / 4 GiB RAM laptop can handle medium to low settings @1440x900, and the first map (swamps) gives sometimes very low FPS.
Wouldn't know about SRP + Complete, I never tried that. ZRP is for SoC only, so don't try to install it on CS.

deuxhero

Arcane
So I just finished a fun 40 hours with SoC. That was worth the 5 bucks alone. :incline: of post Xbox 360 FPSes. Very worried about the simultaneous platform development of STALKER 2.

Now, I want to start CoP at some point, and I understand it is fine out of the box (or at least with official patches) and that the CoP version of Complete is still a WIP. Are there any mods for the "realistic" bullet physics like I used in SoC?

trym88 said:
Two questions: How about the system requirements? Are they still the same with those complete mods ? And how about combining Zone Reclamation Project + Sky Reclamation Project + Complete Mod ?

The graphical stuff get disabled on lower graphical levels, so you are fine if you just want the gameplay changes.

I think ZRP is part of Complete, not sure.

Andrej

Liturgist
Dicksmoker said:
From Draq's description it sounds like each game was an improvement on the last.
That is my opinion aswell, CoP>CS>SoC and I do think they're all good.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
I dunno. I have played the first Stakler once.
At the begining area I got obsessed with the need to comlete every single side mission, exploring every amomally, geting every item. It was some time before I was ready to move into the second area.
I dont remmember any details, it was some time ago, but moving to the second area required some fightig. I have picked up shitload of weapons, mostly sawed-offs. I wanted to sell it. One more sawe-off in the inventory and I'd be glued to the ground.

In the second area, there was no trader to be found. I have to do some quests, before unlocking him, I guessed. Instead, I have decided to return to the first area, to sell my stuff. So I did, limping all the way, I needed to take a break after every second step, as I was realy overloaded. Eventualy, I found out that the shop of the first trader is closed up, after all, the played has left the first area, no need for a shop anymore. Right?
So I limped back to the second area, I took forever. Since it was getting late I saved the game and have gone to sleep. The next day, when at work, I have asked my friend, who have played Stakler once, "how long it would be before I find the second trader". "Ho ho, or maybe longer" he said.
Back at home I started the Stakler game, and started to wonder: should I limp away for "ho ho, or maybe longer" before I find a trader, or maybe just throw away some sawed-off shotguns from my inventory. I have given it a serious thouhgt. Then another. Then, I have deinstalled the game.

Today I sometimes wonder: should I give the game a second chance? Then I remember the hours I have spent limping to the shop, then back... From what I have seen, it could be a nice game.Then again, I hate to leave my loot behind...

DraQ

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
I dunno. I have played the first Stakler once.
At the begining area I got obsessed with the need to comlete every single side mission, exploring every amomally, geting every item. It was some time before I was ready to move into the second area.
I dont remmember any details, it was some time ago, but moving to the second area required some fightig. I have picked up shitload of weapons, mostly sawed-offs. I wanted to sell it. One more sawe-off in the inventory and I'd be glued to the ground.

In the second area, there was no trader to be found. I have to do some quests, before unlocking him, I guessed. Instead, I have decided to return to the first area, to sell my stuff. So I did, limping all the way, I needed to take a break after every second step, as I was realy overloaded. Eventualy, I found out that the shop of the first trader is closed up, after all, the played has left the first area, no need for a shop anymore. Right?
So I limped back to the second area, I took forever. Since it was getting late I saved the game and have gone to sleep. The next day, when at work, I have asked my friend, who have played Stakler once, "how long it would be before I find the second trader". "Ho ho, or maybe longer" he said.
Back at home I started the Stakler game, and started to wonder: should I limp away for "ho ho, or maybe longer" before I find a trader, or maybe just throw away some sawed-off shotguns from my inventory. I have given it a serious thouhgt. Then another. Then, I have deinstalled the game.

Today I sometimes wonder: should I give the game a second chance? Then I remember the hours I have spent limping to the shop, then back... From what I have seen, it could be a nice game.Then again, I hate to leave my loot behind...
:what:
I wanted to post some advice.
I really did.
But after reading your post.
After experiencing full burnt of the derp contained within.
The only advice.
I can give.
Is.
Go shoot yourself.
Seriously.
This will be a.
Heroic sacrifice.
It will save us all from ever experiencing your derp in person.
Save future generation from getting infected by your derp.
You have the power to stem the tide of derp.
You should use it.

Your post have made me.
Weary.
I'm not sure if.
I. Can handle so much derp.
In one place.
:retarded:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Took you 10 days to digest this DraQ?

WHERE'S YOUR SMUGNESS NOW?

:smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Right now I'm overflowing with rage as I consider the very existence of individuals this dumb insulting and undesirable.
:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

TBH I'm puzzled by the "trader closed" thing. Even when I came back to meet Guide, waaaaaaaaaay later on in the game, Sidorovich was still open for business and I could sell him my stuff.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Right now I'm overflowing with rage as I consider the very existence of individuals this dumb insulting and undesirable.
:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

TBH I'm puzzled by the "trader closed" thing. Even when I came back to meet Guide, waaaaaaaaaay later on in the game, Sidorovich was still open for business and I could sell him my stuff.
Well, there is this bug where door to Sid's room spontaneously closes and can't be open normally (which would pretty much fuck you over was it not for the physics engine and the fact that they are merely closed, not locked, so you can run into them bumping off and bump them open), then again, the moron was running around with entire backpack of rusty sawed-offs. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom