Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What's up with these characteristically weak classes nowadays?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You have yet to come up with an example that I haven’t dismantled

Brother, the only thing you are dismantling, is forum bandwidth, since you are talking with yourself. It's called illusion of grandeur in psychology.

10 different people in this thread explained to you, in very plain terms, why PF class design and class identity is bland when compared to the classics. Even a child could understand.

The fact you have decades of experience as you claim, only made this whole exchange more sad.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The classes, and especially the archetypes, are weak in neither sense.
Like others have pointed out, you are arguing with yourself because (like I've explained multiple times already) it's not about whether the subclasses are weak in a mechanical sense.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You have yet to come up with an example that I haven’t dismantled

Brother, the only thing you are dismantling, is forum bandwidth, since you are talking with yourself. It's called illusion of grandeur in psychology.

10 different people in this thread explained to you, in very plain terms, why PF class design and class identity is bland when compared to the classics. Even a child could understand.

The fact you have decades of experience as you claim, only made this whole exchange more sad.
You're wrong.

I have arguments with demonstrations. I've had one response that I half agreed with and half dissented from.

The rest are memes you're parroting. You have nothing to lose but your butthurt.

Desiderius

Patron
The classes, and especially the archetypes, are weak in neither sense.
Like others have pointed out, you are arguing with yourself because (like I've explained multiple times already) it's not about whether the subclasses are weak in a mechanical sense.
That isn't explanation.

Ipse dixit is only effective from a position of authority. An authority which I possess having extensively tested the game (and made your own mistakes) and you don't. I have condescended from that position to supplement that authority with detailed arguments which your silence assents to. If you want to dissent make your case.

Those who have have been exposed as relying on counterfactuals and unwarranted hypotethicals. There is simply not enough there there and too much for the opposite case.

Happens

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Your central argument is that PF class identity is weak because people are multiclassing. First of all, that is not true, second of all, no one even mentioned multiclassing, except you, because you are insane.

Desiderius

Patron
Your central argument is that PF class identity is weak because people are multiclassing. First of all, that is not true, second of all, no one even mentioned multiclassing, except you, because you are insane.
That is not my argument, central or tertiary.

The class identity isn't weak. I have yet to see evidence you've played any of the classes in question at all to tell one way or another. Usually that's due to getting lost chasing one-weird-trick leet builds (that turn out to not even be very leet).

Perhaps you're simply too old to venture it. That was my other guess. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us.

In BG3 every class can disengage/hide/dash as a bonus action (like a Rogue)
Understand the foot this topic got off on and the rest follows naturally.

You're talking out of your distended anus.

Desiderius

Patron
Just boring samey classes

Then in Owlcat games you have 50 bloat classes, like you have a Ranger, then a Ranger without Animal Companion

If that something else changes your entire play pattern and party make-up then that is not in fact the same.

It does (Freebooter's Bond and Bane in this case - slight variant of Ranger Unique ability Ranger's Bond, which any Ranger can choose in lieu of pet and to which Aru is restricted).

QED

And no that's not the same as Witch Hex. Bane is Move Action, which pairs well with Standard Actions like Cleave supported by Ranger Combat Style Feats, or Quarry, not Standard.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

The class identity isn't weak. I have yet to see evidence you've played any of the classes in question at all to tell one way or another. Usually that's due to getting lost chasing one-weird-trick leet builds (that turn out to not even be very leet).

Perhaps you're simply too old to venture it. That was my other guess. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us.

Yet somehow everyone knew what I meant, and agreed overall, except one PF fangirl. :smug:

Reminds me of when Infinitron tried to prove system bloat doesn't exist. Which was another successful thread.

jackofshadows

Magister
He is. He'd rather play some his favorite games for liek 20 years in a row and convince himself that those are the shit and the others are just you know, shit than to actually try to analyze something new let alone enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong though, I fucking love Cotex for this kind of thing. Your rants are amazing, too except I don't like Owlcats games therefore I don't read them that closely. But still I very much appreciate them rants.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I played every game I am hating, I like the genre. If you don't think classes tend to be blander nowadays, you are in the minority here.

PS jack, sorry I hurt your feelings the other day

Beans00

Erudite
Do classes really matter when 95% of the game is trash mobs?

Serious questions we need to ask ourselves.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The general concept of classes in 3E was fine; take a bunch of generic archetypes and allow people to specialize them through prestige classes. Most early sourcebooks focused on the PrCs and left the core classes alone. Once they started messing with the core classes things started to get out of hand.

PF really blows the lid off by basically making every possible multiclass into a core class. You want a fighter mage? That's a Magus now. You liked Arcane archer? That's another type of magus. You want fighter-cleric, play inquisitor (as distinct from the other fighter/cleric; aka paladin, and the fighter priest kits in the cleric subs). Ranger rogue, rogue mage (multiple types), Sorcerer mechanics applied to every class, favored enemy, animal companion, sneak attack, so many overlapping spell lists all thrown into the PHB like confetti. Then you allow free multiclassing on top of that? It's a mess.

Do classes really matter when 95% of the game is trash mobs?

It's kind of the dirty secret to Owlcat's PF games; items actually do most of the heavy lifting. I see a lot of theorycrafting touting 3-5+ class multiclasses but few people ever compare them apples-to-apples to a bog-standard two-handed weapon fighter, esp. w/ any of PF's monstrously OP magic items.

jackofshadows

Magister
I played every game I am hating, I like the genre. If you don't think classes tend to be blander nowadays, you are in the minority here.

Instead of trying to court me or whatever you fucking gay, actually play some contemporary RPG like BG3 and trash it but for a cause. There's plenty of it to smash aside from the usual faggotry and such (spoiler: just don't mention encounter design no more - that's like one of the best in the genre).

Desiderius

Patron

Yet somehow everyone knew what I meant, and agreed overall, except one PF fangirl. :smug:

Reminds me of when Infinitron tried to prove system bloat doesn't exist. Which was another successful thread.
It meant you don’t know what you’re talking about, as can be seen by the replies to my query concerning your claim.

Desiderius

Patron

Which classes? Have you played them long enough to judge that blandness? Because when I stack up class levels blandness isn’t what I’m getting but the opposite.

The blandness comes from following cookie-cutter “builds” that never get enough class levels to develop or unlock the interesting stuff.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
(spoiler: just don't mention encounter design no more - that's like one of the best in the genre).

Indeed, exploration and encounter design are my favorite elements so far. Can't say if the game will maintain this since everyone is bitching about act 3 and I'm not that far (doing dark justiciar quest), but this shit feels huge, I'm taking breaks between sessions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom