Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of these games would you get?

Which of these games would you get?

• Fallout 3 - $90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dead Space - $50

• Mass Effect - $50

• Command and Conquer 3 - $50

• Red Alert 3 - $80

• Total voters

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Okay, they're all mainstream games and only a few of them are RPGs. But I got a $90 EB voucher for Xmas to spend here in Perth, Australia, so there's isn't a great selection. I like strategy games, some rpgs (Arcanum and the Fallouts especially) and occasionally shooters too. Here's what I can find on EB's website.

Fallout 3 - $90
Dead Space - $50
Unreal Tournament 3 - $50
Mass Effect - $50
C&C 3 - $50
Red Alert 3 - $80

Now I realise in all probability that NONE of these games are really excellent, but I couldn't find anything else of interest. In terms of rpgs, I would prefer Fallout 3 to Mass Effect (didn't like KOTOR) but I wanted to bargain bin it. I love Unreal 1 and Dead Space sounds okay too. Anyone played these and cares to comment? And Red Alert 3 sounds reasonable. I quite like the reviews on Game Revolution and they were favourable toward it. Less so with C&C 3. Anyone played both and can tell me which is better?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Remember this is ultra mainstream fare here. I usually buy games from Gamersgate, but this is an exception. :shock:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
80 bucks for Red Alert 3? Holy mackerel at those prices. I bought my copy of RA3 for about half the price, and even got a commie baseball hat as a bonus.

Anyway, having played RA3, C&C3, the demo of UT3 and seeing Mass Effect in action, I guess I'll recommend RA3. UT3 is fugly and you're better off with previous UTs anyway, Mass Effect seemed bland and C&C3 gets kind of boring, while I had quite some fun with RA3.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
None of them. Fuckout 3 and Ass Effect are not even worth of not being removed from the inventory, the rest maybe are, but I definitely wouldn't pay for them.

Certainly none of them. Perhaps you should look outside the square at different genres? Try the Total War games perhaps, or HOM5.

If you must have one of those things, then...

Do you like Bioware games normally? Mass Effect then.

Do you like Oblibion? Get Fallout 3.

Do you like the Command and Conquer series? Get one of them.

Do you like FPSers? Get Dead Space.

From what I have heard they are all fairly lite versions of their genres (hence why I do not own any of them), you may like them if you answer yes to any of the questions above though.

Hory

Erudite
Regardless of your choice, I would like to thank you for financially supporting the artistic efforts of the video game industry and ensuring the development of further products at the same level of quality.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Hory said:
Regardless of your choice, I would like to thank you for financially supporting the artistic efforts of the video game industry and ensuring the development of further products at the same level of quality.

You find me a better alternative then:

http://ebgames.com.au/pc/home.cfm

I am probably leaning toward Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3 so far. Neither sound great, but still....

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. The rest is soulless shit.

QFT!

If there were ever games made with soul Bethesda and Bioware are those who made them.
I mean, so many years ago I was sitting and thinking: When will someone make a game with soul? And it seemed like nobody would. But then, these true saviors of gaming, these two famous B's did and I rejoiced.
Since then I can hardly get myself to play games made by someone else since their lack of soul is really disheartening with the possible exception of Fable II.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Bethesda is so kewl that oblibion had gems made of souls!! How more emotional could that game get?

*here lies the soul gem of my beloved wife*

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UT3. Nothing great, but a good arcade shooter, it's at least fun to play online.

hiver

If you like original Fallouts then do not go for F3.
I dont see whats worth 90 bucks anyway.

Dead Space is interesting at first, i think i came two thirds in and then deinstalled it. has some nice tricks like going out into the vacuum and "zero g" but the rest is boring shoot them as they spawn behind your back and go BOO!
thats the game for bargain bin if there was ever one.

Same with mass fart.

i guess RA3 would be best since you like strategy.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Zhuangzi said:
Hory said:

You find me a better alternative then:

http://ebgames.com.au/pc/home.cfm

I am probably leaning toward Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3 so far. Neither sound great, but still....

http://ebgames.com.au/PC/product.cfm?ID=12771

http://ebgames.com.au/PC/product.cfm?ID=3866

hiver

I wouldnt take F3 if somebody was giving it to me for free.

You might think - hell i know its bad but at least i will get some mindless fun from it but thats a mistake.

its the same thing as thinking that eating crap out of the floor will be at least somewhat interesting experience.
Only its easier to wash the bile taste from the mouth then forget f3.

Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
hiver said:
Dead Space is interesting at first, i think i came two thirds in and then deinstalled it. has some nice tricks like going out into the vacuum and "zero g" but the rest is boring shoot them as they spawn behind your back and go BOO!

I was under the impression it was a survivial horror game. How do the adventure game elements hold up?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Seriously, don't get any of them. Save your money. Those games are really not worth it.

I only played Dead Space from that list and it's sure as hell not worth $50. The game consists of walking through corridors which all look alike, blasting 4-5 types of monsters, followed by an end-boss. It has a few nice ideas and good atmosphere, but that's about it. And it's short, 12 hours max.

Dicksmoker said:
I was under the impression it was a survivial horror game. How do the adventure game elements hold up?

There are no adventure game elements in Dead Space. Sometimes you use "stasis" on a bridge to keep it in place, or you have to find a big battery (which is never very far away) and plug it in to open a door. That's it.

It is linear and railroaded, there's nothing to explore, and you can make a line appear on the ground which shows you exactly where you should be going - but you can't choose a different route anyway.

Play some older game instead and keep your money in your wallet.

hiver

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition ?

if you want RPG buy this.

What survival and what adventure?

no, really...i didnt notice any of that.
You basically spend most of the time going through narow corridors, shooting at the monsters.
You can upgrade guns to have a little bit more damage or shorter reload times (which isnt necessary at all) and few fanatsy like abilities like slowing down time or telekinesis. Story is nothing more then excuse for shooting monsters.

Vacuum strolls are too short and almost nothing except looking at pretty background pictures happens and in "zero g" you have to jump around to get to some switches.

Its over the shouklder PoV works fine once you get accustomed to it and there are two weapons that are interesting, the rest is useless shit.

You have some kind of weird retro looking armor and you collect health packs around and shoot monsters.

thats all.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Mass Effect wasn't great, but it sounds like 50 AUD is about half it's original retail price. It's probably worth that.

There aren't that many RPGs set in outer space, so it's a nice change of pace, if nothing else.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
hiver said:
I wouldnt take F3 if somebody was giving it to me for free.

You might think - hell i know its bad but at least i will get some mindless fun from it but thats a mistake.

its the same thing as thinking that eating crap out of the floor will be at least somewhat interesting experience.
Only its easier to wash the bile taste from the mouth then forget f3.

Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway?

I lol'ed. :lol:

This finally convinced me that Fallout 3 truly is steaming:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=183

I mean, I figured it'd be fairly poor in terms of an rpg, and certainly not up to Fallout standards, but I thought maybe it could be as good as something like Bioshock, which I got reasonable entertainment out of. Some of this just sounds awful, especially the retarded dialogue and lack of realism in the world environment. I'll steer clear of Fallout 3 then.

Dead Space...12 hours of gameplay :roll:

I've played The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, so no go there. I hated Oblivion AND mildly disliked KOTOR, so I guess I don't like Bioware or Bethdesda.

That pretty much leaves Red Alert 3 right? Has anyone got anything bad to say about it, other than that its pretty much the same as Red Alert 2?

xuerebx

Erudite
I rarely play FPS games (because I suck) but I received Left 4 Dead and the online play is wonderful. The first game I've played where teamwork really matters. One fuck up from one person and you'll fail. Playing it with mates is the most fun.

But from that list, I'd get Dead Space or Fallout 3. Fallout 3 will last you many hours if you like sandbox games, and with mods you can tweak the game as you please.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Man, I am lucky to live in India, where newly released legally sold games are never more than $26.

90 dollars is insane.

Why is a 2 year old game, CnC3, selling for $50? A ripoff, I say.

Vibalist

Arcane
Mass Effect is fun the first time around. C&C3 is so incredibly boring you'll cry. The rest I haven't tried, so based purely on word of mouth and screenshots I'll say Fallout 3. Seems decent enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom