Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of these games would you get?

Which of these games would you get?

• Fallout 3 - $90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dead Space - $50

• Mass Effect - $50

• Command and Conquer 3 - $50

• Red Alert 3 - $80

• Total voters

Worm King

Scholar
Get Red Alert or C&C. They might have dumb settings, characters and movies but at least the gameplay can be fun.

Worm King

Scholar
Vibalist said:
Mass Effect is fun the first time around. C&C3 is so incredibly boring you'll cry. The rest I haven't tried, so based purely on word of mouth and screenshots I'll say Fallout 3. Seems decent enough.

Seems is the key word here. I was actually impressed by it and enjoyed the experience until I realized that

1. There was only one real town

2. No real, Fallout-y quests. Every quest is basically traversing the wasteland and then shooting mutants or raiders in a dungeon.

3. Much of the game is compromised of dungeon crawling

xuerebx

Erudite
He may like dungeon crawling though. I'm all for dungeon crawlers, but then you'll find people who totally despise such games.

Marsal

Arcane
I really liked Dead Space. Well crafted and overall solid game in all areas. Just the right length and difficulty (on hardest setting). Works great on old(er) PCs. Definitely not a typical EA game and easily more fun than the rest of the listed games (C&C 3, UT 3 are horrible games not worth even pirating, Fallout 3 and ME are decent, RA 3 is better than C&C 3 but still meh).

You could go for L4D or CoD 5 if you like multiplayer shooters.

User was nabbed fit

Sell your voucher to someone who actually wants one of those games. Buy a better game. Profit.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
You should probably get Mass Effect out of those games. Its cheaper than the others, and it is fun enough. Limited C&C and pretty fun take on squad based first person combat (and stats matter).

Fallout 3 is so bad as to not be worth putting your time into it unless you literally have unlimited free time and nothing else of value to do. My brief experience with that game was probably the worst time I spent all year. I really mean that.

made

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
90 dollars is insane.

Why is a 2 year old game, CnC3, selling for $50? A ripoff, I say.

That's the Autralian dollar, which is worth next to nothing. 90 AUD is what DU pays for 10 minutes worth of online time, or so I hear.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Fallout 3 is decent enough, and the only one that I've bothered to buy (other than mass effect) from the selection that you have there. I preferred it to both Mass Effect and Storm of Zehir.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"first person combat"

Except, it's not actually 1st person unless you get anal and point out the trigger/aim; but it's most dfeinitely 'over the shoulder'/isometric where you see your character model and even some area behind you and to the dies without having to fart,

xuerebx said:
He may like dungeon crawling though. I'm all for dungeon crawlers, but then you'll find people who totally despise such games.

I like dungeon crawlers. I like shooters. I like RPGs. I love Fallout. Fallout 3 struck out on all ends. It's a godawful Fallout game, a mediocre RPG, a terrible shooter, and the dungeons are no better than most jRPG dungeons.

My advice is to save your voucher for something better later. 2008 was a pretty shitty year as far as games, movies, and music goes. Here's hoping for some Hopechange™ in 2009.

If you really want to spend it though, and on PC games, maybe World of Goo has a boxed copy? I don't know. Maybe try that Sins of a Solar Empire game? I heard good things about it. Get Mask of the Betrayer maybe?

If those don't work, and you really want something off this list, get Mass Effect. It's not that great, but at the very least the combat is mildly fun, which is good, because it's the thing you do the most.

Turok

Erudite
Dead space, i play it and i like it, i am not into fps but this is really awesome, make sure put the speakers (or headphone) in high volume :D

Remember see the 6 comic video issues, visit the webpage (there is a awesome webpage that you click parts of humans and get bonus info). If you can, see the Movie too, is before the game so no problem if you watch it, it help to understand everything.

6 comic issues (6 videos are everywhere, go to the webpage or gametrailers.com) then watch the movie, and then play the game.

xuerebx

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
xuerebx said:

I like dungeon crawlers. I like shooters. I like RPGs. I love Fallout. Fallout 3 struck out on all ends. It's a godawful Fallout game, a mediocre RPG, a terrible shooter, and the dungeons are no better than most jRPG dungeons.

My advice is to save your voucher for something better later. 2008 was a pretty shitty year as far as games, movies, and music goes. Here's hoping for some Hopechange™ in 2009.

If you really want to spend it though, and on PC games, maybe World of Goo has a boxed copy? I don't know. Maybe try that Sins of a Solar Empire game? I heard good things about it. Get Mask of the Betrayer maybe?

If those don't work, and you really want something off this list, get Mass Effect. It's not that great, but at the very least the combat is mildly fun, which is good, because it's the thing you do the most.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about Daggerfall? The dungeons I mean.

A user named cat

Jeez, your Aussie EB games doesn't even have King's Bounty. Was going to recommend that, but you're out of luck.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Phantasmal, I've already got King's Bounty, thank god. Gamersgate is my saviour out here. It was easily my favourite game of 2008, and I spent an insane amount of hours, well over 200, on it. :cool:

I know opinions are divided (to say the least) on Fallout 3, but there's no way I'm going to pay full price for it. I suspect I *will* give it a try, but only when in the bargain bin range. If a game is going to be rpg lite and actually a shooter, then it had better be a good shooter. Fallout 3 seems to fail on this score. Like I said before, I was hoping for something on a par with Bioshock, but with a Fallout-type theme.

I've played Sins of a Solar Empire. Solid gameplay, but I got bored of it quickly.

I suppose I could get Mass Effect *and* Dead Space, but I'm more inclined to save the voucher for something better. What good games are coming out soon? :?

One alternative: I could get Company of Heroes for $20 in a budget range. I would have tried this already but it's made by Relic, and I didn't like Dawn of War. I think it's even got the same engine. Anyone played CoH and can comment on whether it's more interesting that DoW?

A user named cat

Glad that you already got KB, you would've been missing out on a fun game.

Never played DoW, but CoH is pretty damn fun and challenging. Coming from someone who isn't even really into RTSes, got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Definitely worth $20.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
Glad that you already got KB, you would've been missing out on a fun game.

Never played DoW, but CoH is pretty damn fun and challenging. Coming from someone who isn't even really into RTSes, got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Definitely worth $20.

Yep, I'm not really an RTS fan (apart from Total war) so haven't played it, but I know my mate has, and liked it a lot.

NiM82

Prophet
Worm King said:
Get Red Alert or C&C. They might have dumb settings, characters and movies but at least the gameplay can be fun.

CnC 3 can be fun, RA3 is pure shite. But both are mere shadows of their forerunners.

I'd save yer money, or go raid the budget bins for obscure but interesting titles.

xuerebx said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you think about Daggerfall? The dungeons I mean.

They're nothing really special. The fact that they are leagues better than anything in Morrowind, Oblivion, or Fallout 3 as far as fun "dungeons" to explore speaks volumes about Bethesda's design ability and how it's declined.

Most Bethesda game dungeons (read: post Daggerfall) are so terrible because they are formulaic, boring, predictable, and not very interactive. As soon as you walk into one an fight one encounter, you pretty much know what the rest of the dungeon will be like. If it's a bandit, then the rest of the dungeon will be bandits. If it's undead, you're going to be knee deep in the dead. If it's mutants, then have fun killing more muties. Not to mention,encounters in Bethesda dungeons are 1-3 monsters in a room, then 1-3 monsters in another room, then 1-3 monsters ad nauseum. It's just not interesting. Making things worse is that dungeons have the interactivity of a bad corridor shooter. You can kill and loot, and that's it.

Daggerfall was better though. By the fact that they were procedurally generated, you had no idea what would pop up next. You could be fighting orcs and fire daedra, and then have an ancient lich jump you in the next room. Couple this with the fact that Daggerfall dungeons were large and offered tons of ways to traverse them such as swimming, climbing, jumping, and levitating and it made things a little more interesting. They still were kind of boring at times, but at least they complemented Daggerfall's diverse character system pretty well, making the way a character delves into them different from others, compared to other Bethesda games where you constantly get the "same shit" feeling all the time, with every character.

They still have nothing on well designed dungeons with nicely designed encounters, nifty scripting, and unique experiences...but they beat the utter crap of Bethesda's other games.

Zhuangzi said:
Uh, Mass Effect:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=182

Whether ME is better than Fallout 3 or vice versa is a bit academic considering they're both shit, isn't it? :roll:

Well....it's at least more fun as an action game with a B-movie vibe. Time to pimp my review...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21578

Note: Not nearly as amusing or well written as Andyman's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom