Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Fallout New Vegas considered good?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Guys, he was complaining about the lack of dungeons in a Fallout game. You can just dismiss that shit out of hand. Fallout isn't a fucking dungeon crawler.

laclongquan

Arcane
You definitely sold this man way too much Jet, Myron.
VATs, baby, VATs.
It's a good tool to have a good breath in a middle of firefight, as well as checking immediate, local, threats.
I know a lot shooters like to play F3 as a FPS, but honestly, you can only do that with easy difficulty. The leveled creatures ensure that you need VATS to pump 100 rounds of bullets into target reliably.

Losus4

Literate
The orange filter in New Vegas looks genuinaly disgusting. It's like everything has been sprayed with cheddar cheese

Careful, having an opinion that holds any part of FNV in a negative light might threaten the hive. You're only allowed to praise FNV otherwise you're a fag who doesn't understand the game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The orange filter in New Vegas looks genuinaly disgusting. It's like everything has been sprayed with cheddar cheese

Careful, having an opinion that holds any part of FNV in a negative light might threaten the hive. You're only allowed to praise FNV otherwise you're a fag who doesn't understand the game.
This isn't Reddit faggot. Crying about New Vegas fanboys isn't going to win you any updoots here. Half the Codex refuse to even play New Vegas because it's not isometric or turn-based.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Nope. The orange filter + the mouse acceleration are huge problems of FNV but the game is great despite its flaws.

quaesta

Educated
I just like getting cheats, getting a bunch of guns, and shooting everyone up. It's one of the few games that lets me shoot everyone up. And unlike Fallout 1/2, it isn't turn based/limited by amount of guns I can hold at once, so it's a lot easier TO shoot them up. AND this isn't like Postal 2 where there's no consequence, if I shoot an NPC then that NPC is dead, which makes it better.
But I rate it lower than 1/2 cause it has a worst atmosphere. I don't like the way people look, how world looks, and just the general engine itself. But the C&C (AKA who do I shoot and then who do I betray and shoot anyways) was very fun, and the radio was great, got me into big band music.

9ted6

Educated

This isn't Reddit faggot. Crying about New Vegas fanboys isn't going to win you any updoots here. Half the Codex refuse to even play New Vegas because it's not isometric or turn-based.
To be fair FNV is basically reddit the game. You won't find anyone hating on it there.

jackofshadows

Magister
Fallout 1 and 2 fans also do this, though, so nobody is immune. "Fallout 1/2 gameplay is a horrible RNG-fest of unbalanced skills and trial-and-error puzzles? Game has good story, therefore the gameplay must be good too! You just suck if you think quickoading to redo the same lockpicking roll over and over again is bad gameplay, just get good!!"
Well, get good, yeah. For one, as not using a skill you didn't invest at all into. That way you wouldn't need to do this quickloading thing on yourself. (re-)Read the manual and you'll see that the whole system is designed to support some possible archetypes as in most (also table) RPGs: thief, diplomat, fighter, some combinations of those etc. Being jack-of-all trades is nearly impossible in Fallout, that's the whole point and it elevates the game greatly.

Jadeite

Educated
I have no idea. Never even played it. I played the original for a bit, it's a neo-game, I'll say that. Looked up the people responsible for it. Apparently they started out as a development division of Interplay (a publisher), which means they were super-monied, corporate, for 1997. That's how all the super wealthy Western publishers worked in the late '90s. Interplay closed them in 2003, but they wasted no time licensing Star Wars from Lucas Films (holy shit) to make an RPG that 300 people worked on (...) So yeah. Some people play games like Exile: Escape from the Pit that a few people at most worked on, others play Fallout. And if you're in the Fallout division why wouldn't you like "New Vegas?"That's your crowd right there. I don't get it, seems like we're talking apples and oranges. I don't like Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout 5, etc. etc. etc. I didn't even need to play Fallout to know I didn't like it.

Fallout 1 and 2 fans also do this, though, so nobody is immune. "Fallout 1/2 gameplay is a horrible RNG-fest of unbalanced skills and trial-and-error puzzles? Game has good story, therefore the gameplay must be good too! You just suck if you think quickoading to redo the same lockpicking roll over and over again is bad gameplay, just get good!!"
Well, get good, yeah. For one, as not using a skill you didn't invest at all into. That way you wouldn't need to do this quickloading thing on yourself. (re-)Read the manual and you'll see that the whole system is designed to support some possible archetypes as in most (also table) RPGs: thief, diplomat, fighter, some combinations of those etc. Being jack-of-all trades is nearly impossible in Fallout, that's the whole point and it elevates the game greatly.
Read this response again and you'll see how dumb it sounds.

The problem is the core mechanics, not "LOL INVEST MORE IN SKILLS". The gameplay just generally sucks.

Any gameplay revolving around mashing the quickload key to win is inherently bad by design.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Half the Codex refuse to even play New Vegas because it's not isometric

Of course. As they should.

I wish people paid more attention instead to the awesome and underrated Fallout Tactics :obviously:

- best graphics in the franchise, like Fallout 2 but sharper, while maintaining the same aesthetic sense (what Fallout 3 should have looked like)
- great atmosphere, tilesets and detailed hand crafted maps. Slightly different feeling from Fallout and more "urban" but very bleak and haunting
- great tactical gameplay, turn based + isometric + party based (pure CRPG format). I rank it right next to ToEE and Dark Sun and KotC in this regard
- It's a pretty long game with serviceable story
- despite being instanced there are tons of content, tons of weapons, enemies, feats, party members to choose from
- music is of course great, great photographic-style portraits too
- Good UI (better than Fallout 1-2)
- relatively quick progression which I like

EbDFqv5XkAQx07u.jpg

jackofshadows

Magister
Read this response again and you'll see how dumb it sounds.

The problem is the core mechanics, not "LOL INVEST MORE IN SKILLS". The gameplay just generally sucks.

Any gameplay revolving around mashing the quickload key to win is inherently bad by design.
If you think that they were designing the game around the quickload key it's you who are dumb. You aren't suppose to use it much or at all if you play with skills you're actually developing not with any. It's like trying to shoot someone with plasma pistol having 10% skill, seeing negative % chance and then "mashing the quickload button" in a hope to hit the target. It's just stupid. Are you new to RPGs or what?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you abuse quicksave/quickload then there's something you shouldn't be doing.

I started enjoying RPGs much more when I acknowledged my character's limitations, e.g. if I can't make it through an entire Morrowind dungeon without using quicksave in three tries, then I shouldn't be there in the first place.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
I played fallout tactics a bunch many years ago, and it felt not so great as either a Fallout-style RPG or a tactical squad combat game, though tbh I can't exactly recall why I felt that way.

JoacoN

Literate
I played fallout tactics a bunch many years ago, and it felt not so great as either a Fallout-style RPG or a tactical squad combat game, though tbh I can't exactly recall why I felt that way.
maybe it's the camera? Fallout 1 and 2 camera felt pretty smooth and looked good on my monitor, but I would get either screen tears or some laggy camera movement playing Tactics

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I started enjoying RPGs much more when I acknowledged my character's limitations, e.g. if I can't make it through an entire Morrowind dungeon without using quicksave in three tries, then I shouldn't be there in the first place.
Those Greater Bonewalkers and their Damage: Strength ability, amirite?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Those Greater Bonewalkers and their Damage: Strength ability, amirite?
I was actually thinking about certain NPCs wielding battleaxes and such.
Since I use mods that prevent me from spamming potions, dealing with them is much more complicated.

deuxhero

Arcane
Sigourn Enemy two handed weapon users in Morrowind are weirdly deadly because enemies actually do treat weapon damage range as random damage (unlike the player who does damage depending entirely on how fully they charge their swing). This makes them very inconsistent. Could do one damage per attack, could do thirty. Contrast that with the comparatively narrow range (5-20) of one handed weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom