Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why RPGs are evil brainwashing machines

piydek

Cipher
So, when unimaginative and plain stupid texts are trolls, they're less stupid?

Mordivier

Novice
Konjad said:
I'm a great fan of cRPGs, but everytime I look at another new one there is something that puts me of. I'm not talking about bad quality of the game, like storyline, gameplay, characters etc. Bad games happen like everything. It's something that's common for all the cRPGs. Both old and new. It's something that makes people think AWESOME just for no apparent reason and that tells them to stop thinking. It popularises taking everything as it is, without understanding it. It makes them stop thinking about many things. I'm talking about settings full of magic, gods, wizards and vampires. Authors of cRPGs don't want to think about something that would let the player do something to make him satisfied, so they make spells, magical abilities, supernatural events... People no longer try to understand the universe, the world. They just start to believe in magic. For example the most popular tabletop cRPG system called Dungeons & Dragons. Many computer games are based on it as well, or try to be somewhat similar. When you play as a thief it somewhat makes sense more-or-less, same with the (standard) warrior. What happens when you play as a cleric or a mage? A mage has "an awesome button", he just 'makes things happen', even if they doesn't make any sense at all. He is a Superman. How does he cast a magic missile spell? He transforms energy around him and manipulates it to make what he wants, in this case make an lighting orb that flies to the enemy and harms him. The question is - how does he transform that energy, how could it be possible at all? They don't even have an electricity and what he does no one even dreams about in today's world, and D&D is set in medieval-like times! What about cleric? In D&D gods just are. You can't deny their existence or superiority, they are there! It's an excellent propaganda that tells you "believe, there is no doubt in gods". This is just as bad as "non-aryans are subhumans". There are atheist in the D&D universe, mind that, but they end up terrible and there is no salvation to them if they won't believe in gods. It tells atheist that they have to believe in at least one god or they are unworthy subhuman scum. If it was insulting like that to ie. Christianity or Islam, the game wouldn't sell and would create an outcry when it came out. It didn't however, because taking a dump on atheist is cool, while we cannot agree to do something like that to our fellow believers! While I could stand monsters, they could be just an animals that evolved in a different ways than real animals, I just cannot accept gods or magic. Especially the magic - the most lazy idea to make things - is common in cRPGs and I could name only a few that did not have it.

The reverse of your inherant subject matter is to say that if a RPG promoted Athiesm and a world without swords and sorcery, the foundation being without gods and goddesses, that it would be a moral, good, non-brainwashing endeavor.

You cannot blast notion of there being a God without allowing for the blasting of the entire concept of Athiesm - which boils down to nothing short of people wanting to say "FUCK YOU" to the idea of an ultimate authority telling you how to live you life.

In short; go fuck yourself.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mordivier said:
Konjad said:
I'm a great fan of cRPGs, but everytime I look at another new one there is something that puts me of. I'm not talking about bad quality of the game, like storyline, gameplay, characters etc. Bad games happen like everything. It's something that's common for all the cRPGs. Both old and new. It's something that makes people think AWESOME just for no apparent reason and that tells them to stop thinking. It popularises taking everything as it is, without understanding it. It makes them stop thinking about many things. I'm talking about settings full of magic, gods, wizards and vampires. Authors of cRPGs don't want to think about something that would let the player do something to make him satisfied, so they make spells, magical abilities, supernatural events... People no longer try to understand the universe, the world. They just start to believe in magic. For example the most popular tabletop cRPG system called Dungeons & Dragons. Many computer games are based on it as well, or try to be somewhat similar. When you play as a thief it somewhat makes sense more-or-less, same with the (standard) warrior. What happens when you play as a cleric or a mage? A mage has "an awesome button", he just 'makes things happen', even if they doesn't make any sense at all. He is a Superman. How does he cast a magic missile spell? He transforms energy around him and manipulates it to make what he wants, in this case make an lighting orb that flies to the enemy and harms him. The question is - how does he transform that energy, how could it be possible at all? They don't even have an electricity and what he does no one even dreams about in today's world, and D&D is set in medieval-like times! What about cleric? In D&D gods just are. You can't deny their existence or superiority, they are there! It's an excellent propaganda that tells you "believe, there is no doubt in gods". This is just as bad as "non-aryans are subhumans". There are atheist in the D&D universe, mind that, but they end up terrible and there is no salvation to them if they won't believe in gods. It tells atheist that they have to believe in at least one god or they are unworthy subhuman scum. If it was insulting like that to ie. Christianity or Islam, the game wouldn't sell and would create an outcry when it came out. It didn't however, because taking a dump on atheist is cool, while we cannot agree to do something like that to our fellow believers! While I could stand monsters, they could be just an animals that evolved in a different ways than real animals, I just cannot accept gods or magic. Especially the magic - the most lazy idea to make things - is common in cRPGs and I could name only a few that did not have it.

The reverse of your inherant subject matter is to say that if a RPG promoted Athiesm and a world without swords and sorcery, the foundation being without gods and goddesses, that it would be a moral, good, non-brainwashing endeavor.

You cannot blast notion of there being a God without allowing for the blasting of the entire concept of Athiesm - which boils down to nothing short of people wanting to say "FUCK YOU" to the idea of an ultimate authority telling you how to live you life.

:M

anus_pounder

Arcane
1251468383457.jpg

Captain Shrek

Mordivier said:

Couldn't have said it better. Guys, its simple. Don't play games you don't like. If you think that children are being indoctrinated by DnD, consult a shrink and join the petition army to tell the fed to ban video games.

Next thing we'll be told is how Half life is evil because it has no homosex.

What.

The.

and finally

Fuck?

It's too badly written to even consider it as a trolling attempt.

And what's with Awor and his "lolo I added you to my ignore list"? telling everyone that you added someone to your "ignore list" is against the fucking idea of ignoring that person, so what's the point Awor?

DraQ

Arcane
Konjad said:

Quite the contrary. Even the lousiest fantasy cRPGs set in even the least thought out setting and riddled with glaring plotholes can teach us something worthwhile:

-that the there is some logic that can be understood and exploited behind even the most reason-defying events.
-that understanding and knowledge is the key to the power while going all "OOOH" :retarded: is not
-that the difference between pissing off alleged servants of higher powers in a world where those powers do exist and in the world where they don't is an arsefull of lightning even while half a mile underground.
-that dragon can nom troll's head as a free action
:smug:

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I agree. Smug ass RPG's treating atheist l;like dirt. But that's to be expected with magic worlds. You're probably looking at cyberpunk or something.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fantasy has always been the reactionary genre.

Just think about it, as a example, the whole genre tends to play the "the king is the land and the land is the king" trope completely straight even if they are critical of a situational ass on the throne on the particular narrative.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Why bother at all about religion? Most rpg religions system are based on Greek/Roman concept of god with more or less Manichean “lore” of good and evil mixed with medieval gnostic meaning of knowledge... going beyond that themes you will lose understanding all your western audience. It is just pointless unless you want to study, say, christian theology by playing an rpg game...

All RPG religion “lore” are equal in that aspect. Religion/deadra/gods/whatever always going to be “deus ex machine” of storytelling. Never meet something... independent of it... maybe... Mistmere...? Dunno.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What we learn is that, no matter whether what the followers of a religion believe is actually true or not, you're fucked if you declare that you're a non-believe if that religion is in any way powerful, be it through an organized church, clerics who are powerful mages, or gods that actuall exist and can kick your ass.

In the end, the result is the same. Tell the church to fuck off and they'll rape you. Hard.

Chaud

Novice
I give:

:x :x :x :x / :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex:

Even knowing it's fake, it made me rage a little inside. :thumbsup:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ivar the Boner said:
And what's with Awor and his "lolo I added you to my ignore list"?
This meme existed long before I started using it.

Ivar the Boner said:
telling everyone that you added someone to your "ignore list" is against the fucking idea of ignoring that person,
How so?

Ivar the Boner said:
so what's the point Awor?
The lulz?

Ebonsword

Arcane
SCO said:
Fantasy has always been the reactionary genre.

Just think about it, as a example, the whole genre tends to play the "the king is the land and the land is the king" trope completely straight even if they are critical of a situational ass on the throne on the particular narrative.

Well, that's really only true of high fantasy. In sword and sorcery, they tend to be a lot more realistic in where political power originates from (i.e. Conan and Kull becoming kings through force of arms instead of via legitimate succession).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So? Weren't they noble savages? Didn't they reinvigorate the kingdom through their skill and intelligence? Didn't their focus on singular, autocratic leadership cut through the bonds of decadent civilizations leading to renewal, thus establishing their bona-fides as kings? Didn't the people love them over their immediate overlords, the corrupted nobility?

While in real life those kind of situations lead to civil wars that break up countries at worst, forced assimilation at best.

The ideal of autocratic rule is rarely challenged in fantasy, and when it is, rarely the kingship is disposed of (not for empire that is).

ever

Scholar
In real life during the medieval period the power of Kings was held in check by other members of the aristocracy. e.g. the Reichstag in Medieval Germany was almost anarchic, the Cantons in Switzerland were all autonomous local governments, Italy was a bunch of cities ruled by mini republics and so on. It really wasn't up until the late 17th century that states, the kind we know today, started forming, and with them the concept of civil wars and total wars.

ever said:
In real life during the medieval period the power of Kings was held in check by other members of the aristocracy. e.g. the Reichstag in Medieval Germany was almost anarchic, the Cantons in Switzerland were all autonomous local governments, Italy was a bunch of cities ruled by mini republics and so on. It really wasn't up until the late 17th century that states, the kind we know today, started forming, and with them the concept of civil wars and total wars.

Not to mention that if you're a peasant whose life and livelihood is controlled by your immediate feudal lord regardless, you aren't likely to give a fuck who the king is. Which is why you had lots of minor peasant uprisings (against the feudal lord) without them turning into civil wars against the throne.

Serious_Business said:
Konjad said:
GarfunkeL said:
Did you copy&paste it from somewhere or was that original?

I wrote it, why?

Couldn't have believe you copy pasted that shit. It feels like entirely like
dwarfminer01.png
. You definitively have a distinctive writing style

I would be seriously disappointed if Konjad doesn't have a long silver beard. In my mind he is some wistful old miner constantly oscillating between wonder and confusion.

Exmit

Scholar
0/10 , you might improve to 1/10 when you will be 30 in 10 years

Ebonsword

Arcane
SCO said:
So? Weren't they noble savages? Didn't they reinvigorate the kingdom through their skill and intelligence? Didn't their focus on singular, autocratic leadership cut through the bonds of decadent civilizations leading to renewal, thus establishing their bona-fides as kings? Didn't the people love them over their immediate overlords, the corrupted nobility?

While in real life those kind of situations lead to civil wars that break up countries at worst, forced assimilation at best.

The ideal of autocratic rule is rarely challenged in fantasy, and when it is, rarely the kingship is disposed of (not for empire that is).

Um, have you actually read Howard's stories? Conan and Kull (especially the latter) were always putting down rebellions.

And I still see a big difference between Tolkein's fixation upon the "true" successor being the only one deserving the throne (as seen in Aragorn) versus Howard's take that if you kicked enough ass, you deserved to be king no matter your blood line.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Didn't read Kull.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom