Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the heck is this so expensive?

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
It's nearly 50 dorrah on steam. What. The. Fuck.

Not to mention the large number of 'editions'. Seriously are they stupid? I know RPGs are niche, but they are not this niche. Since they don't have a publisher because this was crowdfunded, they will keep all the money. Steam does get a cut, but it is much less than publishers and retail sellers would take.

And does anyone know what that space pig is? Is it an in game companion or just a shiny graphic you carry around?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Slashendrix+rolls+22+_b698f46afb15356c4bec7eac1c80c291.jpg

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just think about the fact that the money you pay for this game will go towards Obsidian doing similar inclined games in the future. $50 is a small price to pay for that. Where I live, $50 is also good price for a newly released game.

If you don't think PoE is incline enough to spend your money on, you should throw the spare cash from your games fund at Age of Decadence or Serpent in the Staglands instead.

If you don't think Age of Decadence or Serpent in the Staglands is incline enough to spend your money on, you should throw the spare cash from your games fund at Age of Decadence or Serpent in the Staglands, shoot yourself in the neck, dismember your body, and feed it to local stray dogs.

Last edited:

Aenra

had not seen the pricing at all.

I really don't see the issue for those knowing what they are getting into. And with communication being as it has been, everyone currently interested knows exactly what to expect. And that it's worth it. Even without considering what this price gets you elsewhere, in ..other.. AA titles;

Point though in terms of a future audience. They might go nit picking and burying it on MC just because of the pricing. But again, this is a very market-specific product. Makes D:OS look like World of Warcraft in terms of accessibility. So i doubt we will have many of those 'disgruntled' ones either.

And lastly, this is a PRE-purchasing mind. Always goes down post "launch"

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

Oooh yes, I had not considered that. I will say though that D:OS was turnbased, and as such would be considered more niche than PoE.

And can anyone tell me what the heck that pre-purchase only space pig is supposed to do? Is it a companion, does it give stat boosts, what?

Blackguard

Learned

Oooh yes, I had not considered that. I will say though that D:OS was turnbased, and as such would be considered more niche than PoE.

And can anyone tell me what the heck that pre-purchase only space pig is supposed to do? Is it a companion, does it give stat boosts, what?

it's a pet. I really doubt that it will do anything other than follow you around.

Aenra

I will say though that D:OS was turnbased, and as such would be considered more niche than PoE

two caveats though:
D:OS was 3d all the way, and flashy to boot
D:OS was "Diablo, but with 2 playerz!!11" (don't know if you remember the tragic commentaries on youtube?) :lol:

Aenra

Rostere it is for us, but that is how they saw it. And, end of the day?
1) game sold well, hurray for Larian. One step closer to their 'big one'
2) people that -were- D3 fanatics got to see that it can get better. Deeper. More diverse. More fulfilling.

so in my book, everyone won ^^
(and we got some good laughs in the process, lol)

pippin

30-something dollars is still way cheaper than AAA, but it's more than what I paid for either WL2 or D:OS.
It's still a somewhat reasonable price, backers had their reasons, it could have been worse, etc.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
If you would actually work more instead of impersonate Andhaira in GD to shitpost it wouldn't be an issue at all.

PoE isn't expensive?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why would you think for a second that just because it was on Kickstarter it deserves to be put in the "Steam Bargain bins" pricing tier.

Like, this game could easily have been in the 60 dollar price bracket. For one thing, it's getting retail release so it has to have a comparable pricing arrangement for both retail and Steam, retail stores just don't sell 20 dollar PC Games the margin is too small. And second, it's actually worth it and a pretty fair price judging by the beta/streamers...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
50 dollars is the asking price for any new game in the market. Except that in this case it's likely to be something that we'll want and it will be a game of substance. Problem?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that's the cheap 'an hero edition'
they will just send you a parcel with cyanide

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In retrospect, I think Dragon Age Inquisition was a bit overpriced at 70 EUR for the value that that got me.

polo

Magister
In retrospect, I think Dragon Age Inquisition was a bit overpriced at 70 EUR for the value that that got me.
In DAI awesome happened when you pressed a button. Can your loved PoE do that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom