Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was Don Salieri banned?

Ryzer

Arcane
He was pretty edgy, Anti-Semitic, racist and every single post of him contains at least one ethnic slur but did he break any Codex official rule?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
And as owners of the pub, we reserve the right to throw your ass out at any time, for whatever reason.

So while that freedom of speech has been tested over the years, as long as you keep a modicum of respect for each other, and keep that shit in the appropriate forum or thread, you generally won't have any trouble from The Management™.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Could you imagine playing PNP with these fuckin' mods? You do one thing they don't like and they'll homebrew the shit out of you.

FREE BIG DONNY.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
425.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
He said bad words to a dev, and in the process of made the forums look like they are full of uncouth degenerates. same reason the wall got the hammer.

feel free to ask about warnings, rules broken, etc. you’ll get no answer, it’s arbitrary - except for one unifying principle. It preserves a certain admin’s privileged social status amongst devs and publisher marketing teams.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
He said bad words to a dev, and in the process of made the forums look like they are full of uncouth degenerates. same reason the wall got the hammer.

feel free to ask about warnings, rules broken, etc. you’ll get no answer, it’s arbitrary - except for one unifying principle. It preserves a certain admin’s provledged social status amongst devs and publisher marketing teams.

You made a thread begging for arbitrary bans.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

feel free to ask about warnings, rules broken, etc. you’ll get no answer, it’s arbitrary - except for one unifying principle. It preserves a certain admin’s provledged social status amongst devs and publisher marketing teams.

You made a thread begging for arbitrary bans.
These bans aren't arbitrary, they follow a pattern. Kike-mocking is banned, pedophilia is promoted.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Punished Rean containment, not a ban. but I laid it out for all to see, not hiding behind bullshit justifications and relying on others to provide cover for me.

My idea wasn’t popular and isn’t going to be implemented, to the detriment of this community.

Expect arbitrary bans to continue, with no public debate.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
He said bad words to a dev, and in the process of made the forums look like they are full of uncouth degenerates.

I said bad words to Chris Avellone (specifically, naming the Jew), and received an award for it.

I own (i.e., pay for) and "administrate" (i.e., let people who work for free moderate) a forum with traffic similar to the Codex's, and we too have a "we reserve the right to exercise our own discretion" clause. The reason is simply that some people are excellent at placing their toes right on the line of the official rules, causing the maximum (technically) permissible chaos and disruption to the forum while at the same time generating a gigantic burden of additional (unpaid!) work for the staff, all while very carefully avoiding the slightest actual rule breakage... and often contributing little to nothing of value.

I should know, because I was an absolute grandmaster and genuine trendsetter of that gimmick for years. A master rule-toer is a problem in and of himself, and since it's difficult to create a rule that covers toeing the rules comprehensively, transparently, and forthrightly, we reserve the right to exercise discretion.

Every time someone is banned, people always ask why. The biggest reason I don't care to explain is that I'm too lazy and disinterested to explain; but it's also vaguely amusing to watch people come up with conspiracy theories.

agris Containment of problem posters creates a lot of work for the staff. There is a huge issue with any suggestion that requires staff to do actual work, because they aren't paid and don't want to do any, especially for the sake of some shitposting asshole online. It's actually just that simple. Most people who don't run a forum don't ever consider the staff workload that would be created by implementing X or Y suggestion.

He called me a mutt, but I do not think that's ground for a banning. I prefer to think of myself as a Fine Blend of the Human Races :obviously:

He was pretty edgy, Anti-Semitic, racist and every single post of him contains at least one ethnic slur but did he break any Codex official rule?
Edgy, Anti-Semitic, racist, every post has at least one ethnic slur?

3pw363.png

I love this post, because it perfectly encapsulates the Codex.
In 99% of the internet, everything before the "but" would already answer the question.
Here in Glorious Codexia, that just means a pretty average poster.
Now, if you were an outsider, this would make you feel repelled by the Codex.
But it is the fact we can be "Edgy, Anti-Semitic, racists whose every post has at least one ethnic slur" which shows why the Codex is great.
RPGCodex: Where you can be you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Blaine i appreciate you sharing your experience. I don’t think it’s a conspiracy to recognize that, if Infinitron places value in being a direct point of contact for devs and publisher marketing teams, it is in his interest to make them feel comfortable enough with this site to continue interacting with him.

Given his considerable efforts put forth to harvest news and fill the forums with updates, I think we can safely assume he is invested in his status.

The shit stain referenced by the OP is a throw away, but The Wall was a real user. Did woke-ism / globohomo (idk what this means) break his mind a bit? For sure. But he also contributed to many threads; real discussions and shit posting. It wasn’t until his shitposting caused a dev to block him that he got the axe.

Same with the noname who got banned, referenced by OP. Their post history is a wasteland of shit, but they brought it to bear when directly responding to a dev and got shitcanned.

There’s a pattern, and a motivation. And a disturbing lack of discussion by the ban-friendly admin to actually engage in discussion regarding their actions.

While I love to rules lawyer with the best of them in table top, I really hate that shit in this kind of venue. Im falling back to it because the current exercise in ban power is so arbitrary, and from my pov not focused on a healthier discourse, but coddling VIPs to preserve access.

Edit: your MCA experience is interesting. Is this May of rage time? If so it would be consistent with self-interested motivation. MCA appeared to be burning all bridges at the time, there was no potential damage to access in letting you shit talk him. I know I know :tinfoil:

Edit2: regarding containment, I didn’t expect it to actually stick. It’s my version of protesting the cultural change in contributions to the GRPG forum with the explosion of anime avatar users and generally what feels like a more naive, inexperience user base. It feels like there’s a lot more late teens / early 20s users who have lived very sheltered lives, with anime avatars, shitting up WRPG threads. Im a bit conservative in this regard.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
To be entirely fair, Infinitron is aware that I'm pro-Israel, which may very well shield my account from being clandestinely Clintoned for my otherwise rampant casual antisemitism.

Infinitron is essentially a power user here. He tirelessly contributes, even if you (like me) don't give a shit about 99.9% of what he contributes. I can tell you that, even on my own forum (Goregrish.com), I tolerate power users' diva attitudes and behavior, because they do things, and I don't do jack shit; and I am generally not the type of person who shows favoritism even to people I like (I dislike most of my forum's power users, actually).

But they do things. Like me, DU does not do things, but Infinitron does do things, and he does a lot of them. I don't doubt that he enjoys some influence in the super-secret (and probably stone-dead) staff subforums for that reason; if he finds a user particularly onerous, perhaps something may happen to that user's account.

He is a Jew, after all, and an Israeli at that. He may even be a lawyer, for all we know. If he wants to get you, I'm sure he can find a way.

I will say that I've never personally greenlit the axing of an account for the sole or even major reason that the account's user was disliked by a power user on my own forum.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I appreciate that, I think infinitron does himself a disservice by not actually engaging in these questions. He just mashed buttons and goes back to posting marvel update videos.

I actually do appreciate the shit out of what he does, but his tendency to shill things that the community has no prolonged interest in *combined* with an apparent self-interested motivation in banning some posters who contribute to the free flow of ideas here… idk man, the codex is kinda unique for 2022. I hate to see it degraded beyond what just the influx of new users do to it.

Blaine i made a few substantial edit additions to my previous post fyi.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I appreciate that, I think infinitron does himself a disservice by not actually engaging in these questions. He just mashed buttons and goes back to posting marvel update videos.

The #1 thing for you to take away from our conversation here is this: Never underestimate the role of (context-dependent) disinterest and apathy when wondering why forum staff don't respond, won't explain themselves, etc.

Infinitron is, as you say, interested in what he chooses to do, probably to the exclusion of all else. He most likely is not at all concerned that anyone started a thread questioning why a user was banned. His eyes probably lit upon the thread title at some point (because he does notice everything, it seems), then he forgot about it three seconds later while posting some news update on one of his two screens and watching Palestinian rockets get shot down out of the corner of his eye on his second screen.

And he is right. What I've learned being online since 1993 is that you should do exactly what you want on the Internet, and absolutely nothing else. Of course, for him that does seem to include some aspect of being a very minor part of the non-corporate "games industry news" paradigm, complete with striking a balance between the Codex being a very obvious hate machine and just a place to discuss RPGs. It probably does annoy him when the natives leave GD and screech about kikes at some unsuspecting gamedev. It's unproductive for no real reason.

I can't say I even entirely disagree with him. We should exercise some degree of diplomacy and common sense. He doesn't care at all if you write the sequel to Mein Kampf, as long as you keep it in its lane and don't try to ruin the few scraps of legitimacy the Codex gaming news section manages to retain.

agris

Arcane
Patron
……sigh. You’re a fucking realist Blaine . I hate it, except when I’m doing it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's easy to inject some realism in this case because I'm DU's counterpart elsewhere (exhibit A: I'm posting on the Codex extensively while ignoring my own forum), and after more than a decade of direct experience, I fully comprehend the general dynamics of forum staff.

Also, it interests me to explain these things on the Codex because 1.) I'm not an admin here, and 2.) probably not a single regular user of my website has an IQ consisting of more than two digits. The Codex is no convocation of geniuses, but compared to forums filled with normals, it almost might as well be.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It probably does annoy him when the natives leave GD and screech about kikes at some unsuspecting gamedev. It's unproductive for no real reason.

I can't say I even entirely disagree with him. We should exercise some degree of diplomacy and common sense. He doesn't care at all if you write the sequel to Mein Kampf, as long as you keep it in its lane and don't try to ruin the few scraps of legitimacy the Codex gaming news section manages to retain

If only he showed interest in articulating and discussing such opinions, then we could at least talk about them and understand his actions. As it stands, capricious self-interest seems to rule the day.

ElectricOtter

I own (i.e., pay for) and "administrate" (i.e., let people who work for free moderate) a forum with traffic similar to the Codex's,

w0w0w0w never knew rpg geeks and gore/torture fanatics were so closely linked xd

pretty kewl how some guy that said mean things about da j00z gets banned but someone that hosts a website for snuff like this creep are a-ok :3 :3

BanEvader

Kike-mocking is banned
Nah I called the dev of that fag game a slippery kike.
I think complaining about niggers is what got Don Salieri banned. I wisely used the word Africans instead.
Must we tread on eggshells here as well, of all places?
It probably does annoy him when the natives leave GD and screech about kikes at some unsuspecting gamedev. It's unproductive for no real reason.
The dev in question decided to mix in Africans with Romans and Celts in Britannia, for "immersion" purposes of course. No real reason is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregz

Arcane
He said bad words to a dev, and in the process of made the forums look like they are full of uncouth degenerates.

I said bad words to Chris Avellone (specifically, naming the Jew), and received an award for it.

I own (i.e., pay for) and "administrate" (i.e., let people who work for free moderate) a forum with traffic similar to the Codex's, and we too have a "we reserve the right to exercise our own discretion" clause. The reason is simply that some people are excellent at placing their toes right on the line of the official rules, causing the maximum (technically) permissible chaos and disruption to the forum while at the same time generating a gigantic burden of additional (unpaid!) work for the staff, all while very carefully avoiding the slightest actual rule breakage... and often contributing little to nothing of value.

I should know, because I was an absolute grandmaster and genuine trendsetter of that gimmick for years. A master rule-toer is a problem in and of himself, and since it's difficult to create a rule that covers toeing the rules comprehensively, transparently, and forthrightly, we reserve the right to exercise discretion.

Every time someone is banned, people always ask why. The biggest reason I don't care to explain is that I'm too lazy and disinterested to explain; but it's also vaguely amusing to watch people come up with conspiracy theories.

agris Containment of problem posters creates a lot of work for the staff. There is a huge issue with any suggestion that requires staff to do actual work, because they aren't paid and don't want to do any, especially for the sake of some shitposting asshole online. It's actually just that simple. Most people who don't run a forum don't ever consider the staff workload that would be created by implementing X or Y suggestion.

This is 100% correct of anyone gaming forum rules for their own amusement or agenda. It also applies to administrators. In the case of the Codex, political radicals working inside of the industry have besieged our hobby, and are destroying it. If we are not allowed to have that discussion here, it won't take place anywhere. Banning our users from voicing feedback to those developers makes Infinitron an agent of the woke industry, not a representative of this forum. He is as much an existential threat to the Codex as your hypothetical user, more so in fact.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I actually do appreciate the shit out of what he does, but his tendency to shill things that the community has no prolonged interest in *combined* with an apparent self-interested motivation in banning some posters who contribute to the free flow of ideas here… idk man, the codex is kinda unique for 2022. I hate to see it degraded beyond what just the influx of new users do to it.

I don't engage because there's not much to say. I don't really care about devs posting here as such, and contrary to your belief I rarely interact with them. However, I do read their posts when they choose to post here, and sometimes you'll discover that some retard who you've had your eye on for a while really isn't worth keeping around anymore when you see him chimping out in such threads. Not because you specifically want to defend the dev's feelings, but because it just helps you arrive at the realization that "OK wow, now that I've had time to think about it, this guy really is an asshole. Fuck him".

As for the videos, this is another case of mistaking happenstance for conspiracy. I subscribe to the YouTube channel of every turn-based RPG I find and post every video that shows up on my feed, which takes zero effort on my part. Not my fault Firaxis produce so many videos. Clearly, seeing threads for games they don't like get bumped offends some people, but I don't have to accept that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You should know that in general, my activity in gaming threads doesn't represent my "agenda" as a news poster. That's what the front page is for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom