Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was Generic-Giant-Spider slain (again)?

Poseidon00

Arcane
What's been going on with GGS lately? I don't remember him always being this crazy.

If he really is ElectricOtter well he could have fooled me because they seem like very different people to me lol.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Every time I log on Codex I look forward to threads like these where people ask why one crazy person got banned (for like a week or a day or five minutes) and the answer is obvious that they are a crazy person or an asshole that likes to talk shit all the time. DU is not running this place to appease you he is having a good time. That is why. He does not give a fuck about your whining. I think he enjoys it. I wish instead of banning he would remove your ratings ability like he did me so you could know what real torment is like. Then again a lot of you fags don't even post on the forum you just live in The Box.

Oh no the resident tranny that lives in The Box rated my post butthurt! It must be true!

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's been going on with GGS lately? I don't remember him always being this crazy.

If he really is ElectricOtter well he could have fooled me because they seem like very different people to me lol.
Being around his friends encourages him to act this way.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It happens anytime a person gets popular like Kalin for instance. They start to act out because they like attention.

ElectricOtter

Every time I log on Codex I look forward to threads like these where people ask why one crazy person got banned (for like a week or a day or five minutes) and the answer is obvious that they are a crazy person or an asshole that likes to talk shit all the time. DU is not running this place to appease you he is having a good time. That is why. He does not give a fuck about your whining. I think he enjoys it. I wish instead of banning he would remove your ratings ability like he did me so you could know what real torment is like. Then again a lot of you fags don't even post on the forum you just live in The Box.

Oh no the resident tranny that lives in The Box rated my post butthurt! It must be true!

is this what happens when u drive ur mom to how to eat a banana class xd

Semiurge

Cipher
Precisely, shadowbanning is Reddit and 1984-style of making people disappear. Give me good old death by the sword open ban rather than this hidden shenanigans.

AFAIK only crazies get shadow banned, everyone else just gets banned. The object is to lessen the crazies' interest in the forum without giving rise to vengeful behaviour, stalking, harassment etc. that the nuts are expected to do when facing rejection.

Camel

Scholar
AFAIK only crazies get shadow banned, everyone else just gets banned. The object is to lessen the crazies' interest in the forum without giving rise to vengeful behaviour, stalking, harassment etc. that the nuts are expected to do when facing rejection.
I still don't like it as a tool of forum moderation. At least bans are transparent and anyone can see them while shadowbanning is used by the Reddit moderators as a useful tool for hidden censorship of content and stopping good users from posting info the moderators find objectionable.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
I still don't like it as a tool of forum moderation. At least bans are transparent and anyone can them while shadowbanning is used by the Reddit moderators as a useful tool for hidden censorship of content and stopping good users from posting.

It still accomplishes the goal of driving away antisocial types without an "incident". Anything else is misuse of this feature most cruel, and it should never be used to get rid of users that simply have wrong opinions. It's like the force, really.

Camel

Scholar
It still accomplishes the goal of driving away antisocial types without an "incident". Anything else is misuse of this feature most cruel.
Secret police also accomplishes it’s goals of public safety, it still doesn’t make it justified.

Semiurge

Cipher
It still accomplishes the goal of driving away antisocial types without an "incident". Anything else is misuse of this feature most cruel.
Secret police also accomplishes it’s goals of public safety, it still doesn’t make it justified.

An ordinary non-perma ban would suffice with users who can learn from their mistakes, but there could be a percentage who engages in doxxing, threats and other unsavory acts against other users or even the forum staff without remorse, and therefore redemption should be denied from them. The decision of whether an open permaban is enough, or if the staff should try something more insidious for the sake of safety, should be made on case-to-case basis.

The reality is that there's temptation to overuse this feature simply because the shadow banned will continue to partake in the forum traffic by the virtue of reading the threads, even if no-one can see their contributions. The popular users and lolcows who get many reactions a day would of course get wise quickly, but antisocial psychopaths might not notice for a while, if at all, before they get bored and leave. I don't sympathize this percentage, so I'm not firmly against shadow ban as long as it's THE last resort.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
shadowbanning GGS was pretty funny
It won’t be funny at all when you’re on the receiving side like I was shadowbanned on the most popular Reddit subforums while posting about trannies Will Thomas and Gavin Hubbard destroying female swimming and weightlifting on the Olympics and NCAA.
Owning the feminists is hilarious and gratifying but many times now it helps moving the Overton window towards extreme degeneracy.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I have to say,I don't know what stupid thing GGS did this time and I don't really care,I mostly enjoy his posts in the threads I read and haven't read any of his tantrums in the shoutbox or anywhere else but shadowbanning and making all his posts unreadable is something that should be reserved for reddit/twitter and other crappy places like that catering to newfags.
It's definitely anti-codexian and anti old school,if you think he did something worth a ban,just ban him the oldschool way,the way are forefathers did it and the way we should do it

Grimlorn

Arcane
Shadowbanning is a tool of reddit homos. It shouldn't be used on Codex.

A shadow ban implies that the forum janitors and other users are afraid of the troublemaker, and wish him to simply leave on his own accord. Not with a bang, but a whimper. It's like saying "we won't terminate your employment because we are the good guys, but we can make your stay very unpleasant".
You should just outright ban then. Giving anyone the power to shadowban anyone for whatever reason including some minor political issue/opinion they have leads to people not knowing they're banned. If this happens to someone depressed or suicidal it would drastically affect their mental health trying to interact with people and being constantly ignored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom