Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why wasn't there a 2023 RPGCodex GOTY?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
luj1 finds it prestigious when others think he's a butthurt moron. Explains a lot.

Anyway...

Why bother? This site and Reddit's tastes have converged in the last few years.

Check out Reddit's "25 best games of the 21st century": https://www.reddit.com/r/videogames/comments/1991h3n/after_over_14_thousand_votes_these_are_the_25/

Don't tell me this site would come up with a different list of RPGs.

Serious not sure if serious vibes... how retarded would you have to be to put this forward seriously?

Or are you just trying to get backdoor support for your faves?

Reddit list.jpeg
I should have been more specific, the combat is okay, the writing is not, but then again if you play Larian games for the story then you are a moron.

Actually ftfy. Liberal's a retard.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Might be cool to recognise or reward stuff like Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus, Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock, SpaceBourne, House of the Dying Sun, Warhammer 40,000 Battlesector, Warhammer 40,000: Gladius, Shadow Empire, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, EverSpace, Terminator: Resistance, Amid Evil, etc, that are not in any way competing with AAA, but have a hundred times more heart and worth. The actual games industry - the one made by PC gamers for PC gamers. Give something like that GOTY instead of something obvious that other sites would pick.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Might be cool to recognise or reward stuff like Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus, Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock, SpaceBourne, House of the Dying Sun, Warhammer 40,000 Battlesector, Warhammer 40,000: Gladius, Shadow Empire, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, EverSpace, Terminator: Resistance, Amid Evil, etc, that are not in any way competing with AAA, but have a hundred times more heart and worth. The actual games industry - the one made by PC gamers for PC gamers. Give something like that GOTY instead of something obvious that other sites would pick.
Robocop Rogue city would fit the bill for 2023 if this is the route people want.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Robocop Rogue city would fit the bill for 2023 if this is the route people want.
That would be my choice.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I still hope that this site is sane enough to not vote a super woke cringefest like Baldur's Gate 3 as game of the year. I mean seriously, this game features a super gay vampire companion, gay bear sex, a woman that is literally too hot to fuck (which always reminds me of this Oglaf comic), a super diverse Forgotten Realms with more Tieflings than Sigil and general writing sins like having a lover of Mystra and a chosen of Shar as companion just by coincidence. Maybe hardcore combat fags can ignore all of that but it should be enough to disqualify the game for almost all users here. That the game journos loved it should be a deep red warning sign for anyone here.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still hope that this site is sane enough to not vote a super woke cringefest like Baldur's Gate 3 as game of the year. I mean seriously, this game features a super gay vampire companion, gay bear sex, a woman that is literally too hot to fuck (which always reminds me of this Oglaf comic), a super diverse Forgotten Realms with more Tieflings than Sigil and general writing sins like having a lover of Mystra and a chosen of Shar as companion just by coincidence. Maybe hardcore combat fags can ignore all of that but it should be enough to disqualify the game for almost all users here. That the game journos loved it should be a deep red warning sign for anyone here.
It will win GOTY because it will receive so many more 2/5 votes than any other game will receive 5/5s that the popularity-rewarding algorithm will declare it the winner. Friendly reminder to everyone to sort the results by raw score to find the real good games.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

That would be my choice.
Could you explain why? I tried the demo and found it painfully slow. Having to walk a guy to the drunk tank felt insulting for Robocop. I understand it's police work but dude it's robocop. Why waste your best asset on hauling a guy to a drunk tank?

Dr1f7

Scholar
islands of the caliph looked cool
though i'm sure the dex will vote for some dumb shit like bg3

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well that's definitely not true. Melee frontliner, buffbot, single-target sniper, and mobile heavy gunner are all pretty distinctive roles.
You're not beating the "shitposting retard who doesn't play any of the games he talks about" accusations anytime soon with post like these.
It's a little know fact, but when you type "shitposting retard who doesn't play any of the games he talks about" into google and check the graphics, that's the first find:
21299.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The difference between you and me, Lord Noob, is that I screen games much faster than you. I almost immediately know if a game is good or not. So if the latter is the case, I quit it after a couple of hours (at most).

You on the other hand, are like Fluent. You force yourself to like games, and always try to find something acceptable. I don't. It's the overall impression which matters to me, not individual breadcrumbs. I don't know if you know, but this can be linked to masochistic tendencies in your own character (which you often display in your political views).

Mortmal

Arcane
Guys, if you found nothing good in 2023, one of the best years for RPGs since 2018 (when we got KCD, Atom and Pathfinder), perhaps its time to change hobby? Love for RPGs obviously died in you, there's no need to go on like this.

They can't remember games that didn't piss them off. They just don't register in their brain.

Guys, Caves of Lore and Amberland 2 are right there! They're pretty nice! Their developers haven't done anything annoying! No woke, no woke!
Indeed, no woke, but no innovative gameplay, or just plain primitive gameplay that brings nothing new to the table, with abominable faux-retro style in the case of Amberland 2 and barely passable style in Caves of Lore. Laudable single-dev performance; it's not easy to make those. But really, what's the point in those games, vastly inferior in every aspect to games from 30 years ago? Everyone knows the 2023 winner; there's no contest ever.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Game of the year should be Hogwarts. It's undeniably an incredibly well made game hitting the nail on the head at every turn. I have no interest in Harry Potter and won't ever play it, but it oozes quality in a way most modern games don't. The only other contenders are Lies of P and AC6 that I can see. But none of them have shit on the utter insanity that is a fully fleshed out accurate Hogwarts offers.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I still hope that this site is sane enough to not vote a super woke cringefest like Baldur's Gate 3 as game of the year.
It's delusional to think BG3 won't win rpgoty.

The codex rpgoty votes often go to bigname projects (remember dragon age winning goty?). And even though I don't like BG3, I also can't say it'd be a terrible pick. The real question is what #2 will be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom