Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why wasn't there a 2023 RPGCodex GOTY?

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't want to see a bunch of people complain that the poll is bad because they haven't played them yet.
You've been here for a while now. If Felipepe doesn't receive death threats, if he doesn't get threats of having his entire family violated and massacred (in any order), then there's something wrong with the poll. Secondly, playing the game was never mandatory to talk about it on the Codex. The same five schizos will rate Baldur's Gate 3 a 0, while giving a 10 to games like Caves of Lore or Colony Ship (oh wait no, they can't, it's a Ukrainian team). Then people outside the Codex will massively vote Baldur's Gate 3 as the best RPG ever made in human history.

Ryzer

Arcane
I like Rogue trader the most this year, BG3 is below, Rogue trader is way above despite the glaring issues.
A Sci-fi dystopian RPG is a breathe of fresh air.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't remember anything that seemed close to interesting that was released in 2023.
Hogwarts legacy.
Lords of fallen.
STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R (remake).
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.
Diablo 4.
Final Fantasy.
OCTOPATH TRAVELER II.
Atomic Heart.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I mean really who has time to play more than five or so games in a year?
The unemployed, retired, disabled, and game-brained.
Disabled are having harsh problems with theirs disabilities and don't have time for gamming.
Unemployed are in too much stress to be able to play games.
Retired needs to sleep during day to be fresh, thus they have A LOT less time.

So this leaves us with healthy people with high salaries who have spare time. And Twitch streamers, but game-brained were mentioned already.

I'm actually wondering who has money to pay for 79.99+ per 5+ games a year, AND still can spend enough to get upgrades it needs to play that.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I got time to play 5+ games a year, do more then that very easily.
The problem is playing 5 games on the very year of their release. Like, why would i pay more for a worst product that will get fixed+have extra content and possibly have a mod ecology if i just wait it out?
Only game journos have some incentive to play things as they are released and it turns out they don't even play the games either.

This year was unusual for me in that i brought a bunch of new games contrary to my usual dogma. And almost all of those new releases were broken (rogue trader) or bugged (bg3 act3) in some way which only vindicates my belief i should have waited it out.

Meanwhile the game i'm loving atm and would have shilled hard for, chaos gate daemonhunters? Yeah i'm a year late for that and it was apparently the jagged alliance 3 of last year's GOTY in that (almost) no one played it but those that did swear by it.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Every GotY poll should be limited to those with active Codex accounts, but it's especially important this year to have the full ratings released with usernames attached, so that we can react appropriately to those valuing Bear-BuGGery 3.

bg3tzf2t.png

Saduj

Arcane
I wouldn't fault felipepepe not wanting to do a poll (or anything) for most people in this thread.
Nothing personal against him, as he means well, but his methodology is extremely flawed anyway. Having everyone rate every game individually effectively gives multiple votes to those who choose to abuse the system.

The best way to have a game of the year vote would be to have every user vote for one game that they believe to be game of the year. The only drawback being the lack of data to sperg out over....

Modron

Arcane
The best way to have a game of the year vote would be to have every user vote for one game that they believe to be game of the year. The only drawback being the lack of data to sperg out over....
What would be the point of another popularity contest? We already know what's popular.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wouldn't fault felipepepe not wanting to do a poll (or anything) for most people in this thread.
Nothing personal against him, as he means well, but his methodology is extremely flawed anyway. Having everyone rate every game individually effectively gives multiple votes to those who choose to abuse the system.

To be fair, all aggregate average scores are kinda meaningless. Plus it's all subjective. What does it tell me that 80% of the voters think game X is the "best" when my tastes align with the 20%? Not much.

As list of "noteworthy" games makes more sense, with no ranking.

Following the same thought, I'm not a fan of reviews written by people who *dislike* something. I'd much more prefer to read a review written by someone who enjoyed the game/book/movie/etc. Then I can decide if I'm enjoying the same things as the reviewer.

That's why I liked felipepepe's method because it makes a small number of high votes on a game stand out. That's all I care about, games that are *really* liked by a few people, and I couldn't care less about the averages. But then, who cares about the actual ranking... I don't. I always just treated the results as a list of recommendations.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
What would be the point of another popularity contest? We already know what's popular.
Any way you do it, game of the year is a popularity contest. I gave the reason for preferring a simpler system in my post.

Modron

Arcane
Single vote means a lot of stuff won't get rated at all. Multivote, or some kind of point system, at least grants the possibility that less popular stuff gets rated. Sure felipe's system might allow for some abherrant results here and there but it also spotlights things people might not have played so I much prefer it to a single solitary vote.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It was supposed to be a huge year for RPGs, but most of the hyped releases ended up being utter shit, meanwhile some super tiny indies ended up carrying the torch for the genre. So it's gonna be a weird vote.

Saduj

Arcane
Single vote means a lot of stuff won't get rated at all. Multivote, or some kind of point system, at least grants the possibility that less popular stuff gets rated. Sure felipe's system might allow for some abherrant results here and there but it also spotlights things people might not have played so I much prefer it to a single solitary vote.
I think we're just looking at the objective here fundamentally differently. To me, the Game of the Year poll should solely be about choosing a Game of the Year. Rating every game is a worthwhile goal but should be done separately, IMO.

I believe you get better results if you separate the two anyway. Because when I'm voting for GOTY, I end up giving my choice for GOTY 5 stars and any other games that I liked but aren't my GOTY four or less stars. Why? Because that is the only way to distinguish one game above all the others. If I were being completely honest, my GOTY would probably also be just a four star game that I happen to like better than the rest. Since I'm not given the option to just straightforward vote for GOTY, I end up manipulating my ratings. I don't do this but this system also incents people who strongly want one game to win to downvote the other top competitors, whether they have played those games or not.

By conflating two different things, you make both shittier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom