Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

aleph

Arcane
Still, the Exile is very gay because of the furries, so real men obviously play Dominion as Chua.

fix'd it for ya

:troll:

Revenant

Shit, I completely forgot about the Chua :lol: The Wildstar devs ripped off WoW Goblins in the most obnoxious and annoying way possible with this one. However, aside from the Chua Dominion has p. badass races, unlike the Exiles who have cowboys, furries, dun dun dun do-gooder ogres and undead emo goths.

maybe if you completely ignore warcraft 3 and the thing about slavery/internment camps. alliance represents order, but it's order with an "end justifies the means" mentality. that's not what i would ever consider as good. the horde on the other hand is chaotic and just values individual freedom over everything, ever since they got rid of the demonic influence in wc3.
On the other hand, the Horde doesn't give much thought about lives of individuals of the opposing faction (and rightfully so, given the Alliance are such goddamn pussies) and tends to abuse nature and the environment in the most profiteering and careless manner, which doesn't exactly measure up to good. Comparing quest descriptions, Alliance quests givers are definitely more tempered and empathic than the usually cynic, aggressive or even psychotic Horde personalities. The Exiles, on the other hand, while being chaotic, lack any moral ambiguity whatsoever and are presented as righteous, goody-two-shoes usual members of a just resistance.

Angthoron

Arcane
They are? They do some pretty heavy shit actually, one of the major Dominion plots in a L14-25 zone is Exiles spreading a lethal plague among the peaceful population. Not exactly goody-two-shoes in my books.

From what I heard, Dominion gets more and more goaded into doing actually kinda good deeds, while Exiles do more and more evil shit in desperation as the plot develops. Not quite sure though, not yet there myself.

As for Alliance vs Horde, Blizzard removed any moral ambiguity that can be found so that the young players wouldn't suddenly feel uncomfortable playing an evil psychopath worshipping some Fantasy Satan.

aleph

Arcane
Shit, I completely forgot about the Chua :lol: The Wildstar devs ripped off WoW Goblins in the most obnoxious and annoying way possible with this one. However, aside from the Chua Dominion has p. badass races, unlike the Exiles who have cowboys, furries, dun dun dun do-gooder ogres and undead emo goths.

Actually, it's pretty clever to put all in the same faction. It keeps people who like such stuff away from the dominion.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's created for challenge enthusiasts, housing enthusiasts, pvp enthusiasts.
I don't really enjoy super challenge raid - not because I don't wanna devote time into it - but finding enough people to group often in my timezone isn't worth investing $50 over.
And for solo PVE to max level cap, a lot of games are F2P in that vein.

No interest at all.

Angthoron

Arcane
Supperprotip: to properly enjoy game, join guild. I rarely say this but is true in this case. You really don't want to PUG these dungeons.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Normal and vet.adventures are doable without a guild but they don't award well if you can't get silver or gold levels. Which are pretty impossible with a pug.
Dungeons are another beast, you need really good coordination even in normals. Maybe normal ones can be completed with a really good pug with some experience but not veterans.

There are some shitty encouters though, especillay involving wave spawns in some adventures/dungeons. It is not fun when whole wave spawns on healer and one shots her/him with only white damage...

fake edit: Im kinda liking the adventures, nice tower defence and moba game they got in there :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's created for challenge enthusiasts, housing enthusiasts, pvp enthusiasts.
I don't really enjoy super challenge raid - not because I don't wanna devote time into it - but finding enough people to group often in my timezone isn't worth investing $50 over.
And for solo PVE to max level cap, a lot of games are F2P in that vein.

No interest at all.
this is a good summation of the game.

finding a fun guild is easier said than done, and puts more pressure on playtime and dedication. wildstar is extremely unrewarding to play, so who wants to invest time into the game or a social construct surrounding the game?
WoW has you killing big bads, quests that transform and change zones, and a lot of recognizable characters. if WoW is a themepark, then wildstar is a cheap knock-off where the rides have too high height requirements.

the only really good thing about wildstar is the encounter design. BUT, there aren't enough competent players - especially healers - to beat the content. and again, "join a guild" is easier said than done.

if you got an mmorpg itch, just preorder WoD and gear your free 90 for a couple of weeks and then enjoy what will very likely be a far more enjoyable game (with raiding and "guild funsies" too).

Angthoron

Arcane
I dunno, man. Had no problem joining a guild, in fact, guy had to convince me to join, and I'm playing a fucking Stalker of all things. Playing at a relaxed rate, we get to do dungeons, two active healers, two active tanks, ain't a raid guild, but whatever, lah.

I'll probably end up checking out WoD, but it's like the same endless story of broken promises by Blizz since, I guess, WotLK announcement. "Frequent content updates" in Cata, my ass; "We learned our lesson and will give more content to the players" post-Cata, my ASS, with SoO lasting well over a fucking year, and nothing else basically added during that time either. WoD will promise the moon again and then it'll turn out that it's a moon made out of frozen piss. God fucking damn it, Blizzard. We'll make it harder, we'll have more things for all to do, we'll close the community rifts. Kek.

Fun fact: I'm in F&F for all Blizzard games, so it really feels kinda douchy to say it, but seriously, they should stop dropping the goddamned ball on content delivery so badly.

Wildstar ain't a superawesome game, but I'm enjoying it at the moment, so there's that.

Revenant

The sheer magnitude of raw's butthurt in this thread is giving me some serious lulz

Eyeball

Arcane
Supperprotip: to properly enjoy game, join guild. I rarely say this but is true in this case.

HOW THE FUCK IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO PLAY MMOS PROPER WITHOUT A GUILD

oh right. this is wildstar, not an MMO.
It's called a "friends list". It serves the same function with the added benefit of there not being any snooty 15 year olds giving you orders because they joined earlier.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Supperprotip: to properly enjoy game, join guild. I rarely say this but is true in this case.

HOW THE FUCK IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO PLAY MMOS PROPER WITHOUT A GUILD

oh right. this is wildstar, not an MMO.
It's called a "friends list". It serves the same function with the added benefit of there not being any snooty 15 year olds giving you orders because they joined earlier.

I don' think we share the same idea of what a guild is actually about.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I dunno, man. Had no problem joining a guild, in fact, guy had to convince me to join, and I'm playing a fucking Stalker of all things. Playing at a relaxed rate, we get to do dungeons, two active healers, two active tanks, ain't a raid guild, but whatever, lah.

I'll probably end up checking out WoD, but it's like the same endless story of broken promises by Blizz since, I guess, WotLK announcement. "Frequent content updates" in Cata, my ass; "We learned our lesson and will give more content to the players" post-Cata, my ASS, with SoO lasting well over a fucking year, and nothing else basically added during that time either. WoD will promise the moon again and then it'll turn out that it's a moon made out of frozen piss. God fucking damn it, Blizzard. We'll make it harder, we'll have more things for all to do, we'll close the community rifts. Kek.

Fun fact: I'm in F&F for all Blizzard games, so it really feels kinda douchy to say it, but seriously, they should stop dropping the goddamned ball on content delivery so badly.

Wildstar ain't a superawesome game, but I'm enjoying it at the moment, so there's that.

Hah, Blizzard has been promising more frequent updates since TBC.

Angthoron

Arcane

Hah, Blizzard has been promising more frequent updates since TBC.
Hey, you can't expect frequent updates from a company with 10 million subscribers, multi-billion revenues and several hundred employees, right?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's the shameful part. But their subscriber base is still chugging along around ten million (maybe it's dipped in Mists) so what do they care.

Angthoron

Arcane
Think it's about 7 mil currently, thanks to the hilarious content push pattern.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
To be fair, up until SoO they did deliver more content fairly frequently throughout the MoP <.<

Mystary!

Arcane
Only a couple of hours in but seems solid sofar.
I like the combat and difficulty keeps you on your toes. I dont think Ive ever played another mmo where its possible to die from same level minions, but I have to avoid all sorts of stuff cause Im scared shitless of new monsters, they could all potentially kill me.
Its actiony and fast paced, gotta dodge shit or die, air strikes, special attacks, mines, all over the place, not just boss battles.
The gripes I have is the world feels so empty, even on a medium population server Ive only run into 3 people in the same zone at the same time. Im guessing its instanced or some bullshit?
Despite having 20 ms and 50-80 fps Im lagging like crazy, no idea why.
The art direction is silly but I dont mind it, could make my draken look like Zuul, so cant complain.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the world is pretty empty, yeah. it's also over-instanced.

Mystary!

Arcane
Is there a main hub, like a capital or something with more people in it? And when do you get there? Im about to finish the first draken zone, Deradune.

Angthoron

Arcane
Right about now then. You'll be proposed to fly to Illium, the "capital".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom