Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Video leaked

Ausir

Arcane
It's an alpha, the voices are probably just placeholders for now.

Monocause

Arcane
- I do hope these VA's were just placeholders for the alpha.

- Seems to me that the combat system didn't change much, and that's bad. On the other hand, it seems that you can now actually dodge attacks and projectiles headed your way, and that's good.

- Graphics look fantastic. I just didn't like the blood.

- Blood. "We're gonna give the players what they want - more blood". What the fuck, CDP? Did you borrow the marketing department from Bioware?

- No mention of character development.

I'll reserve my judgment until a proper video surfaces, one that's not a demo made for internal use.

bhlaab

Erudite
New engine? Hope it runs better than Witcher 1 and isn't as CPU-bound.

Arcanoix

Scholar
bhlaab said:

The shader engine is new and can generate shadows based off of the GPU, not the CPU.

Ausir

Arcane
It will likely be released simultaneously on the PC, PS3 and 360, by the way. And the video was probably made in order to pitch it to potential publishers (as they're not very happy with Atari).

Arcanoix

Scholar
Monocause said:
- I do hope these VA's were just placeholders for the alpha.

- Seems to me that the combat system didn't change much, and that's bad. On the other hand, it seems that you can now actually dodge attacks and projectiles headed your way, and that's good.

- Graphics look fantastic. I just didn't like the blood.

- Blood. "We're gonna give the players what they want - more blood". What the fuck, CDP? Did you borrow the marketing department from Bioware?

- No mention of character development.

I'll reserve my judgment until a proper video surfaces, one that's not a demo made for internal use.

Nobody will be getting anymore videos for some time, thanks to your local topic creating video-leaking asshat original poster....

bhlaab

Erudite
Arcanoix said:
bhlaab said:

The shader engine is new and can generate shadows based off of the GPU, not the CPU.

The first game runs terribly for me no matter what my settings are because the whole thing is so dependant on clock speed. I have a core 2 duo but it's only 2.33ghz. I'd probably be better off with a 3ghz pentium 4.

Though I guess it's fair to expect multicore optimization this time around.

Ausir

Arcane
Nobody will be getting anymore videos for some time, thanks to your local topic creating video-leaking asshat original poster....

Huh? If anything, they'll announce it officially sooner thanks to the leak.

Monocause

Arcane
Ausir said:
It will likely be released simultaneously on the PC, PS3 and 360, by the way. And the video was probably made in order to pitch it to potential publishers (as they're not very happy with Atari).

That would explain the strange hype direction of the video. And the blood remark would be quite funny if this was the case.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Ausir said:
And the video was probably made in order to pitch it to potential publishers (as they're not very happy with Atari).

Precisely.

And the Internal Department needs to quit leaking this stuff out, because as before with the first Witcher the story went through many, many revisions due to Internal leaks and a semi-sense of a lack of direction. As for telling me to "take it easy", forget it - I'm tired of developers chip-chopping their stories just because Internal interim testers and interns/trial-devs/artists leak things out.

Despite a lack of direct experience in the field, I would hope someone lucky enough to get into a private company (such as CDP:R) wouldn't screw it up for themselves, or rather their relatives.

Ausir

Arcane
As for the source of the leak, it might be one of the people fired in the recent CDP "restructuring".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Seems like they added all the wrong things. Cinematic close ups, cinematic scenes that intersect during combat, lots of useless flashy stuff added to the fighting system that do nothing to improve the level of strategy or interactivity involved. The only interesting part is when he mentions how the first game sold over a million of copies even though it was PC only. Fuck yeah.

DemonKing

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
The only interesting part is when he mentions how the first game sold over a million of copies even though it was PC only. Fuck yeah.

Well, I don't think it was because The Witcher was the greatest game ever, but simply because we're so startved for good CRPGs that even a half-decent one got lapped up.

I'm pretty sure if someone actually managed to produce a AAA quality PC-exclusive CRPG ti would sell like hotcakes.

So are they still using the Aurora engine?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The main complaint I had about Witcher -- although it's still a solid game -- is that the 'choices' really didn't yield any significant consequences. The only major deviations were choosing between romantic interests (which is pointless) and choosing between Order/Scoitel/Neutral. The latter having little effect on game play aside from the npcs you actually fight and a slightly different storyline. Regardless I'll still probably buy the game but here's hoping for a little more variety in consequence outcome.

1eyedking

Erudite
I won't be so quick to judge this time. Dialogue seems to have taken a BioWarish turn and that is unforgivable. I'll give The Witcher 2 the benefit of doubt.

For now.

Winter Ale

Novice
Huh,

bhlaab said:
Arcanoix said:
bhlaab said:

The first game runs terribly for me no matter what my settings are because the whole thing is so dependant on clock speed. I have a core 2 duo but it's only 2.33ghz. I'd probably be better off with a 3ghz pentium 4.

Though I guess it's fair to expect multicore optimization this time around.

This doesn't sound right.

By my lights the first game runs fine on settings that suit me, what with my whole machine using a flat out pound per pound weaker processor than a Core 2 Duo Specifically Athlon 64 at 2.21ghz, with a Radeon 4850. That box should beat the tar out of mine.

Of course, that's while running XP and all...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Good news. Not watched the vid yet as am on a phone, but hey. For what it's worth, TW ran fine on my quadcore okay at max settigs.

What's up with Arcanoix, anyway? Y so angry.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Ditto about the voice acting. I sure hope those are placeholders.

Anyway, it looks pretty similar with the changes mostly just adding to immersion. A few things I didn't like. Like the QTEs during boss battles. That means that they will progress through "stages" which lessens overall freedom. Also, some things seem to be going the way of a shitty action movie like characters talking while fighting. That's so retarded, mostly because it will never fucking happen.

Also, I'm wondering about that part where he's pushing people off cliffs with his spell. Mainly I'm wondering about looting. Unless he can somehow go down to the base, or if the bodies reapear next to him after the battle would be over (which would be gay) he won't be able to loot those bodies. Although that could create an interesting dynamic - he's guarenteed an instant kill, but he won't get any loot. That seems kinda cool the more I think about it. Although this brings up the issue of enemies who carry necessary items. Perhaps they could simply be un-throwable or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom