Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst dialogues in RPG history

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I piss on your juvenile scorn. (The Witcher)

I hope your cock turns blue and rots off murderer. (The Witcher)

Shut up and kiss me you fool. (Knights Of The Old Republic)

You know the problem with the youth nowadays? They are YOUNG! (Knights Of The Old Republic)

- You are not afraid of love anymore?
- After this, nothing could make me feel safer than to be loved by you. (Knights Of The Old Republic)

Lady, you couldn't even find your own ass, even with your friends' help! (Knights Of The Old Republic)

Bastila, I love you and I know you love me. (Knights Of The Old Republic)

GMonkey

Scholar
I think the thread title should be "I feel like taking the piss out of The Witcher and KOTOR because I'm bored."

Zomg

Arbiter
I haven't played Witcher, but what's wrong with, "I piss on your juvenile scorn" ? Sounds like a pretty good way to blow off an inferior's insult or scolding or whatever. The first time I saw someone quoting it I thought it was a good line.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
witcher has translation problems with the uneven quality of dialogues.

i still liked the sex & politic chit chat Geralt had with the princess though. The conclusion was spot on.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It felt like by the time it needed to be translated they had ran out of cash and ended up doing a piss poor job of it. I assume that polish is at least as difficult as finnish to translate and unless you hire a professional the end result is just awkward. Sometimes that happens with pros as well here but that is another matter.

deuxhero

Arcane
@RK47 A US president beat them too it though.

Also is it just me, or does The Witcher have a lot of "good bye" text expanded upon from the polish (as far as I can tell with english text/polish voices) ?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I believe you
I don't believe you

^_____ My god Chapter 2 Witcher.

Monocause

Arcane
goatvomit said:
It felt like by the time it needed to be translated they had ran out of cash and ended up doing a piss poor job of it. I assume that polish is at least as difficult as finnish to translate and unless you hire a professional the end result is just awkard. Sometimes that happens with pros as well here but that is another matter.

The main problem with English is that it's a much more precise language when it comes to vocabulary. In Polish the words' meaning is taken from context much more often.

For example, the verb "zakładać" can mean:

-To put on (fe. clothing)
-To bet
-To presume/anticipate
-To create (fe. a factory, an account)

The Witcher translation certainly isn't stellar, but I've seen much worse.

I'm thinking translations shouldn't count in a "lol dialogue" thread but then it would pretty much just be Oblivion and Fallout 3 quotes.

Rhalle

Magister
The Witcher's dialogue is often so bad it's good-- and it knows it, especially the vulgar and racy stuff, such as: "Why do pricks go in cunts?"

[Intelligence] So you fight the good fight with your voice on Galaxy News Radio?
So, the people fight back?
So, what's this about the good fight?

(The immortal 'mudcrab' line is arguably unfair: it's flavor text, not dialogue proper.)

I wish I knew the voiceover line from MOtB in the starter cave when the soul eater first pops out of your body. It's so hideous it deserves category all its own.

deuxhero said:
Also is it just me, or does The Witcher have a lot of "good bye" text expanded upon from the polish (as far as I can tell with english text/polish voices) ?

That's interesting. I always thought it was just bad trees matched with a need to zone anytime you needed to update an NPC. But maybe you're right.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
"..." - From every JRPG.

I haven't played Witcher, but what's wrong with, "I piss on your juvenile scorn" ?

The only issue I really see with it, and most Witcher dialogue, is it's strange mix of modern words and phrasiology and typical pseudo-archaic fantasy language. I kind of like it though, and I certainly don't think it makes it bad enough to be in the "so bad it's good" league.

caliban

Scholar
The only issue I really see with it, and most Witcher dialogue, is it's strange mix of modern words and phrasiology and typical pseudo-archaic fantasy language.

That's a deliberate stylisation by the author of the original books. The style that has been, however, altered by the fact that the dialogues weren't written by Sapkowski himself and by the translation. So while some of this does sound awkward in English it actually makes lots of sense in the original context.

Learn Polish, you foreign barbarians!

Arcanoix

Scholar
"And here I thought we were getting along so well, I was even going to name one of my children after you - the Grumpy One." -Alastor (sp?) from Dragon Age : Origins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom