Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you like Obsidian to develop TES: New Vivec?

Do you want Obsidian to develop a TES title?

• Yes! They did a great job with New Vegas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! They have no connection to the TES games.

• I don't care about TES anymore.

• If by "fix" you mean the exact same shit as before, then no. (Skyway)

• I liked Oblivion. (BLOBERT)

• Let id Software do it (kingcomrade)

• Total voters

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Only if they get to use an ID developed engine.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SoupNazi said:
What? An escaping king and his guards entrusting the most important artifact of the kingdom to a random prisoner?

It's not random. The emperor trusts you on account of a vision. And the blades are his bitches. If he trusts you, they trust you.

Random "Oblivion gates" appearing out of nowhere for no particular reason at all?

:smug:

Shitty heir character with no personality?

So you claim. Then again you think the Oblivion gates are appearing "for no particular reason at all" even though the entire fucking main quest revolves around Mehrunes Dagon attempting to invade Tamriel, so it's not like you've established yourself as an intellectual heavyweight so far.

The PC a faceless mind-numb nobody

Welcome to the elder scrolls. And Fallout.

with no will of their own?

Yes. The entire game is just a slide show. You press a button and the character follows one line without question. There is nothing you can do about it. :smug:

Characters spouting completely random shit

Welcome to the elder scrolls.

and terrible quests (other than the Dark Brohood series of quests)?

Opinion. I enjoyed most of them. And thieves guild > DB. Other than the plot twist and a couple of quests the DB is grossly overrated.

Dumb ass dialogue and (almost) not a SINGLE reply of an NPC longer than one full sentence?

Fuck you and your Fallout/IE dialogue tree faggotry. There shouldn't be any simulated dialogue at all, they should've left it like it was in Morrowind. The only failure of the dialogue is that it's the same as almost every other fucking game on the market.

Oh and:
Code:
    Uriel: "You ... I've seen you...(goes into conversation mode) Let me see your face... You are the one from my dreams... Then the stars were right, and this is the day. Gods give me strength."
    Player: "What's going on?"
    Uriel: "Assassins attacked my sons, and I'm next. My Blades are leading me out of the city along a secret escape route. By chance, the entrance to that escape route leads through your cell."

Hey look, it's your very first fucking dialogue in the game. And the emperor is using multiple sentences.

Characters with no real motivation for what they're doing? Stupid mages whose actions and dialogue does not at all reflect the wisdom they should have? Completely boring story that does not involve the PC at all? Characters (and story) you simply can't care about? Shit ending as if stolen from a jRPG or an Animu? What's NOT wrong about the writing in Oblivion?

You think the emperor gave the amulet to a "random" person and haven't figured out why the oblivion gates are opened even though it's fucking explained near the beginning of the game several times. Oblivion isn't quite as incline as morrowind, but both of them require you to actually pay attention to even get the story and do some side research to comprehend it all (sometimes even research material from the previous games). In other words, it's not a game for speechfags who want the story spoonfed to them. If you don't like it stick to bioware and obsidian shit and stop adding to the pollution of what is one of the last series on this planet whose entire story does not cater to the lowest common denominator.

At least I gave Fallout 1 a few honest playthroughs before I started making fun of it. Far more than I can say about the average codexfag and Oblivion.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Who are you speaking to? I don't see anyone.

bhlaab

Erudite
They did a great job with New Vegas, but Elder Scrolls is (read: should be) something completely different from Fallout. Obsidian's strengths are the smaller details, whereas TES kind of needs to be huge for hugeness' sake. Bethesda is the only dev that can really pull that off (at the expense of every medium-small detail). Even the GTA team is going more and more micro in their focus nowadays.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mastermind said:
And thieves guild > DB. Other than the plot twist and a couple of quests the DB is grossly overrated.
I never understood all the wanking about the DB questline. Some of the assassinations are fun, but a number of them are dungeon crawls, and even some of the potentially interesting quests (such as the Ten Little Niggers knocoff) are butchered by horrible writing and even more horrible scripting and AI. And the horrible writing is everywhere, including in the twist, which requires EVERYONE involved, including the PC AND the bad guy, to be of disproportionate stupidity.

Some of the TG quests, by comparison, were pretty good fun.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANKS FOR NOT USING ANY WORDS OUT OF CONTEXT I APPRECIATE IT

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO HOW ABOUT THE SKYWAY OH MY GOD I AM A NEWSHIT COCKSLAVE OPTION

MetalCraze said:
Favourites:

Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate 2 (I could -add- to this position BG1 and ToB, because it the same story, but won't that be against rules?)
---
Good ones:

Fallout 1
Vampires: Bloodlines
Planescape: Torment
---
Honorable Mentions:

SW: Knights Of The Old Republic 2
SW: Knights Of The Old Republic 1
Neverwinter Nights 1 (but with ALL addons, especially 2nd)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (but with MotB as the one story)
Arcanum (didn't get far'n'deep here, so not sure where exactly to put it right now, but it definitely deserves a point)
---

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLLOL

NEWFAGS said:
Favourites:

BROS HATED FALLOUT 3 5 PLAYTHROUGHS AND IT SUCKS
BROS HATED OBLIVION ONLY TOOK 3 POLAYTHROUGHS
BROS HATED NEW FAGGORT BRO I AM HALFWAY THROUGH MY SECOND NPLAYTHROUGH

BROS I LIKE REALLY OLDSCHOOL STUFF LIKE BALDFERS GATE AND KOTOR THEY JUST DONT MAKE GAMES LIKE THEM ANYMORE

---

LOLLOLOLOLOL IF ANY OF YOU FAGS HAD ANY SENSE OF IRONING YOU ARE ONLY A COUPLE OF YEARS AHEAD OF THE GAMESPOT CROWD ON THE ROG NEWFAG CURVE

BRO SORRY FOR TRIPPLE POST SERIOUSLY IT ISNT AS BAD AS THE NEW FAGGOT SPAM

Blackula

Educated
It's ok blobert, at least you don't sodomize your copy of oblivion like mastermind

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Because nothing they ever do in-house will be as good as NV, Bethesda will turn to the old adage "if you can't beat them buy them out." Within a year Obsidian will be nothing more than "the fallout team" of Bethesda studios, thus rendering this poll irrelevant. The question is: will Obsidian rub off on Bethesda or the other way around? Will this development herald great RPGs for years to come from the unlikeliest of sources, or simply snuff out the last great hope for good, modern, triple-A quality RPGs?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
i agree with options 1 and 3 equally, i wouldn't mind a non-tes first person fantasy game in a better engine.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Elder Scrolls wiki said:
After Pelagius's death the asylum he was contained in was destroyed, however a group known as the Apostles of Light transported each original stone to the Shivering Isles where it was reconstructed and renamed the Howling Halls.
Le fuck? Since when can people simply walk back and forth between Tamriel and the Daedric planes as if they were going on a Sunday picnic?

I am suddenly reminded why SI made me rage only infinitesimally less than Oblivion.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Voted, 'I don't care about TES (anymore)'. I only played Morrowind and Oblivion for a couple of hours each (Morrowind was better), and Daggerfall for an hour maybe, so I guess it would be the same for me if these games never existed.

Twinkle

Liturgist
It makes no difference whether it's Obsidian or Bethesda. Considering the current state of affairs in game development the end result would be just another crappy consolized action game. The franchise is dead, stop torturing its corpse. :salute:

7hm

Scholar
Doesn't matter which one develops it.

If it's Obsidion it'll be a buggy game with decent writing that needs heavy modding to be fully playable.

If it's Beth it'll be a crappy game with crappy writing that needs heavy modding to be playable.

Either way once it comes out it'll be playable two years later.

Ancient

Erudite
Multidirectional said:
CrimHead said:
Fallout 4 (if it ever get's made)

It won't get made only if the world is actually ending soon. 50/50 I say.

whaat it's clear as day that Fallout 4 is coming from Bethesdas arse

In August 2010, Todd Howard revealed in an interview with Eurogamer that Bethesda is working on two projects; one has been in development for 2 years (beginning after Fallout 3 was released), and the other is still in pre-production.[2] Given the fact that Fallout: New Vegas is finished, it is reasonable to assume Fallout 4 is the title in pre-production

bloodlover

Arcane
I don't care about TES anymore.

After seeing what a piece of shit Oblivion is...

hanssolo

Educated
I would like Obsidian to die and poison it's host.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom