Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you like Obsidian to develop TES: New Vivec?

Do you want Obsidian to develop a TES title?

• Yes! They did a great job with New Vegas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! They have no connection to the TES games.

• I don't care about TES anymore.

• If by "fix" you mean the exact same shit as before, then no. (Skyway)

• I liked Oblivion. (BLOBERT)

• Let id Software do it (kingcomrade)

• Total voters
Project: Eternity
Since they're already familiar with the ObliviLOL engine now that they made NV, some sort of TES game shouldn't be too hard I guess. In any case I would trust them more than Bethesda to make a game with some nice story and RPG mechanics.

Blackula

Educated
Matt7895 said:
Obsidian are now a serious contender with Bioware for the title of best RPG developer. Lets see how Dragon Age II turns out but from what we've seen so far, I don't see how it can be a better RPG than New Vegas.
Dragon Age II is an RPG?

More Importantly, Bioware still makes RPGs?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Blackula said:
Well yeah DAO was definitely one. That it sucked ass is another matter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackula said:

This is quite true. Now all they make going forward is Action Games with some elements that appear to somewhat resemble RPG elements.

Bioware: We put the Action in the A button.

Topher

Cipher
I hated Oblivion and I suspect that Bethesda isn't headed back in the direction of Morrowind so as I'm concerned TES is dead. Let Obsidian work on other projects like Fallout 4 (if it ever get's made) or some sequel to something else.

Topher

Cipher
I hated Oblivion and I suspect that Bethesda isn't headed back in the direction of Morrowind so as I'm concerned TES is dead. Let Obsidian work on other projects like Fallout 4 (if it ever get's made) or some sequel to something else.

CrimHead

Scholar

SoupNazi

I don't think Oblivion "fixed" Fallout 3. I don't think a Gamebryo/Bethesda game even CAN be fixed. They improved upon it and made it less horrible and even managed to get it into a playable state, yes. But the base is so bad (and so is Oblivion) that it never could be made into a good game, even with a much better developer than Obsidian is.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Engine by Id.
Modding Tools by Beth.
Plot and Characters by Obsidian.

Everybody wins. :smug:

Relay

Educated
SoupNazi said:
I don't think a Gamebryo/Bethesda game even CAN be fixed.

They'll probably get rid of gamebryo, there is no reason why Zenimax would acquire id if not for their mad coding talents.. it's not like there is much profit to be gained from the Doom and Quake licenses nowadays..

I think, IF they do make good use of the talents from id, they will never make a great RPG again but they could eventually make a nice action game in a fantasy setting. So, in a sense, there is hope for the TES franchise but not in the same game genre. I would buy a TES with gameplay taken from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. John Carmack knows how to code great physics in an action game so it could only be good.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't they say they won't be using ID's new engine for the game they're working on now?

Mastermind said:
Didn't they say they won't be using ID's new engine for the game they're working on now?

That is the dumbest move they could ever make, although perhaps this shows that Bethesda is indeed aware that their games needs to be modded with about 9 gigs worth of content to be any good at all.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Stereotypical Villain said:
Mastermind said:

That is the dumbest move they could ever make, although perhaps this shows that Bethesda is indeed aware that their games needs to be modded with about 9 gigs worth of content to be any good at all.

It might just be an issue of them having started on it already and being too late in development to change engines.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DalekFlay said:
Nah... I would rather they do something new, unless it's Fallout.

For TES just hire the writers of Morrowind back that left before Oblivion... problem solved in that area.
This.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
There was nothing wrong with Oblivion's writing itself. The issue was the format. Instead of the wall of text style of morrowind that was practically made for the intellectual elite (like me :obviously:) they switched to a speechfag friendly format akin to the first two fallouts with voiceovers added in for the consolefag generation. As a matter of fact I personally blame illiterate codexfags for oblivion's dialogue decline and hope you fuckers choke.

SoupNazi

Mastermind said:
There was nothing wrong with Oblivion's writing itself. The issue was the format. Instead of the wall of text style of morrowind that was practically made for the intellectual elite (like me :obviously:) they switched to a speechfag friendly format akin to the first two fallouts with voiceovers added in for the consolefag generation. As a matter of fact I personally blame illiterate codexfags for oblivion's dialogue decline and hope you fuckers choke.
What? An escaping king and his guards entrusting the most important artifact of the kingdom to a random prisoner? Random "Oblivion gates" appearing out of nowhere for no particular reason at all? Shitty heir character with no personality? The PC a faceless mind-numb nobody with no will of their own? Characters spouting completely random shit and terrible quests (other than the Dark Brohood series of quests)? Dumb ass dialogue and (almost) not a SINGLE reply of an NPC longer than one full sentence? Characters with no real motivation for what they're doing? Stupid mages whose actions and dialogue does not at all reflect the wisdom they should have? Completely boring story that does not involve the PC at all? Characters (and story) you simply can't care about? Shit ending as if stolen from a jRPG or an Animu?

What's NOT wrong about the writing in Oblivion?

CrimHead

Scholar
Me: *walks up to random person on the street with whom I have no relation*I SAW A COCKROACH THE OTHER DAY

Them: Fuck off, faggot.

Blackula

Educated
Sceptic said:
Blackula said:
Well yeah DAO was definitely one. That it sucked ass is another matter.
If I recall the last two years or so of DA's development were just console porting so yeah they haven't actually worked on an rpg in a while.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
CrimHead said:
Me: *walks up to random person on the street with whom I have no relation*I SAW A COCKROACH THE OTHER DAY

Them: Fuck off, faggot.

I would totally say "HORRIBLE CREATURES"

though i have good taste and haven't played that piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom